United

What Is Pain?

Seungho’s POV

I waited for Aeri outside her school. I could not contain my nervousness. I could not wait to break the news to her. I spent the entire night with Min Jeong in the hospital, leaving Aeri and Heeri in the capable, or rather, helpful hands of Doojoon and Junhyung. They were so sweet, but I could tell just by the look on their faces how my kids tormented them last night.

I did not have to wait long for my little girl to scream for me as she ran out.

“APPA!!!!!” Aeri yelled as she jumped into my arms, not giving a second thought that I might not be able to handle her speed within such notice. But of course, I will never let me daughter fall, at least not in my presence.

“Ompf!” I gasped when she crashed into me, knocking the breath out of me for a split second.

“Hey there, my pumpkin.” I said, scooping her up into my arms.

“Where did you go last night!?” She pouted. It was amazing how she could at the same time sound like a daughter who missed her father and a mother who is worried for her child.

“Why? Did you miss me?” I as I planted a kiss into her cheek.

“NO!” She folded her arms, looking away, but I could see a smile playing at her lips.

“Really? That’s really sad, because I missed you so much.” I said, tickling her.

She screamed and grabbed my hair wildly.

“Alright, alright, alright. My hair! Ouch! Ouch!!” I yelled.

“You look better like that.” She grinned, her little hands still messing up my hair.

I looked into the reflection from the glass and almost fainted. What was that on my head? A bird’s nest?

“I am hungry!” She said.

“I bet you are. What does my pumpkin wants to eat?” I asked.

She thought for awhile.

“Pasta!” She yelled.

On normal days, I would not have readily agreed to it. I just thought that it lacks the nutrition that she would need. But today, since I asked, and she gave her opinion, I should comply.

“Look at you, such a messy little eater.” I said as I wiped the pasta sauce of Aeri’s face.

“Appa, why aren’t you eating?” She asked.

“I’m not hungry.” I said.

She frowned and shoved a nugget into my mouth, in which I ate, but solely for the purpose of making her happy.

I forgot when was the last time I actually felt hungry. It was as if I could live on just air and water.

“More?” She said, sounding almost like plead.

“No, darling. I am good. Eat up, and then we will go get Heeri.” I said.

“Where are we going?” She asked, her cheeks stuffed.

I smiled at her, not answering.

***
“What’s wrong?” I asked when Aeri suddenly stopped walking. We were standing in the corridor of the hospital.

“I…” She looked like she had no idea what to say.

“Are you alright?” I asked, squatting down to her eye level while balancing Heeri in one arm. The boy had taken a fond to pulling my hair.

“Are you feeling sick or something?” I asked, feeling her forehead for a fever.

She shook her head and pouted, burying her face into my neck.

“Hey, hey, what’s wrong?” I asked, picking her up with my free arm.

The few months of devil’s training from the both of them have done me well. I can now easily pick the both of them up in my arms.

I walked to Min Jeong’s room, and opened the door gently, just in case she was asleep, in which she was. She had an iPad on her lap, but she was deep in her slumber. She must have fallen asleep, watching whatever she was.

Aeri struggled to get down from me. I let her down before she could kick more and fall off. She ran towards Min Jeong like she would always do. She was so absorbed in her sudden sadness she did not notice a difference. She buried her face into Min Jeong’s chest, shocking my dear girl awake.

Min Jeong opened her eyes and looked at me.

“Hi~” I mouthed.

She then looked at Aeri who still had her face buried in her chest.

I shrugged my shoulders, indicating I had no idea what was wrong with her.

“Hey, princess, what bothers you today?” Min Jeong asked in a gentle voice as she caressed Aeri’s hair gently.

Aeri bolted up, looking directly at Min Jeong who was smiling at her. Aeri then turned to me, as though she had to receive confirmation from me that whatever she was seeing was real.

“Surprise.” I grinned.

“JEONGIE!!!!!!” She cried, throwing herself into Min Jeong’s open arms once again, bawling her eyes out.

“My sweet, sweet girl~” Min Jeong laughed as she hushed Aeri who was as inconsolable as I was the moment I saw Min Jeong awaken.

I had initially planned to surprise Aeri, but my plan failed, as usual. With Min Jeong around, she will always win, effortlessly. Not that I minded, though.

“Look who came too.” I said, bringing Heeri to her.

“Oh god. Let me hold him.” Min Jeong said, reaching one arm out, while the other held Aeri in place, still comforting her.

Heeri was immediately comfortable in her arms. Of course he would. She is his mother. She carried him for nine months.

Min Jeong’s POV

I fell asleep waiting for Seungho to come. I was awoken in a way I did not expect – Aeri crashed against my chest, sniffing softly. 

“Hey, princess, what bothers you today?” I asked.

I felt her jump slightly, and then she sprang away from me, looking at me in shock. It was only then did I realize Seungho had spoken nothing to her about me being conscious.

“Surprise!” Seungho said, sounding a little scared, as if he was not sure what response would he be getting from the girl.

It was a good few seconds before Aeri finally responded by screaming out my nickname and throwing herself against me, bawling her eyes out, exactly like her father.

While I was comforting her, Seungho walked over with a bundle in his arms.

“Look who came too.” He said as he lowered his arms.

Heeri. My son. Our son.

“Oh god.” I tried to hold back my tears, but they were useless attempts.

I would hold him with two arms, but I did not want to let Aeri go. Seungho expertly slide Heeri into my free arm.

It felt so surreal I was having eye contact with my son now, holding his warm body against my chest.

He let out a soft chuckle, and my tears fell. Happy tears, though.

It took awhile for Aeri to calm down, and then she fell limp against my chest, falling asleep. I could not help but laugh at how both she and Seungho are so alike.

“I’ll get her.” Seungho whispered.

“No, just… I’ll move. Let her sleep here.” I said, moving myself.

He took Heeri from my arms, and I moved to let Aeri lie down next to me comfortably.

“Look at you~” I said to myself as I wiped off the streaks of tears on her cheeks.

When I turned over, Seungho was grinning like a fool with Heeri in his arms.

“Let me.” I said, stretching out my hands.

He passed the baby to me and lean his head against the side of the baby, making faces at Heeri.

“I knew how he looked like, but looking at him now, holding him in my arms, it’s just…” I was lost for words.

“You knew?” He asked, looking surprised.

“I did. Actually, I was awake, sometimes, but could not literally wake up. I was aware of what was happening. Me being pregnant, you suffering from couvade syndrome, or rather, your sufferings in general, I knew them all, but I was helpless.” I said, cupping one side of his cheek.

He bite down on his jaw and swallowed hard. He was trying to not cry.

I reckon I could fill him in with details slowly.

“I love you. I love you so much. You’re so strong. Don’t ever doubt yourself. I owe you everything.” I said.

He let out a small smile and nodded. He kissed me on my cheek.

“It was worth it, everything.” He said.

“Even the pains of giving birth?” I .

He shuddered slightly and his cheeks reddened.

“Don’t be embarrassed! You’re a strong, strong boy.” I said, pinching his nose gently.

“But did you feel it too?” He asked.

I nodded.

“I’m sorry.” He pouted.

“For what?” I asked.

“I didn’t manage to take it all away from you.” He said.

“Gosh! You’re unbelievable! You have all the reasons in the world to upset yourself, don’t you? Even those that don’t make sense?” I exclaimed.

He sighed and looked down. He was serious.

“Oh my big baby~” I pulled him into a side hug.

“You took like 80% of the pain, and it was already enough. I am so lucky. Any more you might have died.” I said.

“I’ll be glad to take 100% of the pain from you, even if I died.” He said.

I pushed his chin up, making him look at me.

“We’re all going to die one day, but today is not the day, neither is tomorrow or next week or next month or next year. Don’t say things like that, okay?” I said.

He nodded and crashed his lips against mine, once again. Heeri kicked and squealed excitedly in my arms.

“What do you know about kissing, little one?” I said, and both Seungho and I leaned down to kiss his chubby cheeks.

“I want to bite you!” I bit gently Heeri’s cheek with my lips.

“I knew it!” Seungho laughed.

“What?” I asked.

“I knew you’ll want to bite him.” He said.

“He’s so… tempting!” I laughed, kissing Heeri all over.

Seungho pulled my chin away from Heeri and pressed his own lips against mine, engaging us in yet another deep kiss.

I pulled away when I felt a poke on my arm. I turned to find Aeri looking at us sadly.

“How about me?” She asked, looking so upset we cannot help but burst into laughter.

Seungho carried her over and settled her in between us.

“You, our dear girl, will of course get twice as much as anyone else.” Seungho said.

Both Seungho and I planted a kiss on Aeri’s cheek. I then raised Heeri up to let him kiss Aeri on her lips. She laughed at the sudden kiss. She pulled away and gave us each a wet, sloppy kiss.

“I missed you.” Aeri said, playing with the button on my blouse.

“And so did I.” I said, kissing her forehead.

“I feel like I am disrupting something.” Seungho said.

“You sure are.” I said, causing giggles from Aeri.

“Alright, let’s go Heeri~” Seungho said, trying to take Heeri, but Aeri stopped him.

“Heeri will stay. You may go.” I continued teasing him.

His eyes widened, earning more laughter from the girl.

“I am so… heartbroken.” Seungho said as he turned his back.

“COME BACK!!!” Aeri jumped onto his back.

For a split second, I was so afraid she would go crashing onto the floor. I am sure the same thought ran through Seungho’s mind.

This little ball of danger~

“You’re not going anywhere!” Aeri said, clinging tightly onto his back.

“I thought I wasn’t important anymore.” Seungho said.

Aeri bit him on his shoulder, causing Seungho to scream.

“Not allowed to say that!” She pouted.

“Look, how embarrassing to have to get your daughter to teach you a lesson.” I chided him to add on the fun.

“Is this how it is going to be? Three against one?” Seungho asked.

“YES!” Aeri and I said in unison.

Seungho let out a sigh, but the smile never left his face, in fact, I think it just got slightly wider than it already is. 

***
It's time I ended this fic :)