Second Trimester - Realization

What Is Pain?

***
It has been four months since Min Jeong slipped into a coma, as well as being pregnant. Two weeks has passed since the carnival owner got caught, setting us all free, at least for now. It was Min Jeong who collected the evidence leading to the arrest of him. Junhyung is fighting the case, and he is confident in winning. The evidence are solid enough to throw that jerk into jail for as long as he has left to live.

I also learnt that Min Jeong never betrayed me. She was helping me all along. But she kept it a secret. Firstly, she did not wish to get my hopes high. Secondly, she was afraid I would disagree with her actions. I misunderstood everything. Or rather, I never tried to understand anything. It only hit me when Junhyung spilled the beans what a terrible boyfriend I was to her.

That night, I knelt down next to her, asking for the forgiveness I never got. The nurses tried to coax me to get up, but I overheard Doojoon tell them to just allow me to tired myself out. He was right. Because only when I finally exhaust myself to the maximum can I black out completely and at least get that slight bit of rest.

I asked to work full-time in the cafe, but my body protested mere days after I started working. I could not stand or stay awake for long. I was constantly vomiting still and mood swings decided to come into the picture to join in the fun. Overall, I was a very messed up person. I look and feel so terrible that even Aeri seems afraid of me.

Knowing that I could not sustain keeping both Aeri and myself alive with only a part-time job in the cafe at night, I attempted to look for jobs I could work from home so as hopefully my body would not protest, and also, I would not freak others out. But most of it requires skills in which I do not possess. The only thing I could do was to endure pain, and even that is gone now.

Junhyung, as sweet as he is, offered me a job as his personal assistant. I was reluctant at first, but he sure knows how to poke the correct spots, leaving one with no excuse to say no. 'I'm not doing it for you. I'm doing it for Aeri. The case is not over. You being jobless will make it easier for them to bounce back and bite you on your neck.' He said.

Aeri; How can I ever lose her again?

I agreed eventually. The job was simple; sorting out some files, filling up some forms, running some errands. It was a job anyone alive can do. Those were probably work he could even do himself.

I sat down next to Min Jeong, looking at her while caressing her slight baby bump. Apparently caressing her baby bump had a calming effect on me as well.

"Hey baby, Doojoon said that both you and baby are doing fine. They are currently running some more tests on you, and if you respond well, they would be able to transfer you out of the ICU and into the normal ward. "Are you excited?" I asked her.

"I sure am. That means I can spend more time with you. Literally glue myself to you." I said, playing with her hair.

There was a knock on the door. I turned to find Doojoon there, smiling at me.

"Can I come in?" He asked, his voice muffled in between the door.

I nodded.

"How are you doing?" He asked, looking at no one in particular.

"Who are you talking to?" I asked.

"You, of course. If I wanted to find out how Min Jeong is doing, I'll do it myself." He smiled, checking her vital signs and so on.

"Oh." I muttered.

"I got it." He smiled widely.

"How is it that you are always so happy? Are you never upset?" I asked.

"My name is Doojoon. Please do not confuse me with Do Min Joon. We are in no way related, although I kinda wish we were somehow. That alien has got some good genes." He grinned.

"Huh?" I looked at him, confused.

"I am human, Seungho hyung. How could I never have been upset?" He asked.

"Everytime I see you, you are smiling so widely. It's like you've never been unhappy." I said.

He laughed and sat down next to me after finishing what he has to do.

"How would you feel if your doctor is always pulling a long face?" He asked.

"I understand that, but I mean, we are friends, no? You could show me your tiredness, your emotions, whatever." I said.

He smiled and shrugged his shoulder. He turned to look at Min Jeong. He did not say further. He just looked at her.

"I should go. You should rest too." He said after awhile.

"Alright." I said.

He turned back to face me, flashing me a wide smile. And it was then I caught those fresh tears still glistening in his slightly red eyes.

"Doojoon." I grabbed his arm.

"Yea?" He answered, not looking at me.

I hugged him.

"I'm sorry. I take back what I said just now. I just want you to know, you can cry even in my presence. It's okay. We are human, aren't we? We are meant to feel emotions." I said.

I realized ever since the accident, I was so self-absorbed in my own misery that I seem to totally forget that people around me are people too, and that those who know Min Jeong is probably hurting as much as I am. I took their encouragement and consoling, but I never gave them any. I never realized that they need it too.

The door slammed open, startling both Doojoon and I. Outside stood an angry looking Junhyung.

"What do the both of you think you are doing?" He asked in a cold, low voice.

"Baby! He hugged me!" Doojoon pushed me towards Junhyung.

Yoon Doojoon, for the second time, you coward.

"Junhyung, I can explain." I said, my voice shaking.

"Explain? I saw everything. You were hugging my man." He said.

"Ya! He hugged me! I don't know why!" Doojoon said.

I turned to him in surprise. Is he really doing this!?"

"Yah! Yoon Doojoon!" I glared at him.

"Okay, let's stop now." Junhyung said as if none of the before happened.

Doojoon started grinning and hugging Junhyung.

"Sorry, Seungho hyung. We were just fooling around." Junhyung apologized.

"What? You think it's funny? Really!?" I yelled.

"I told you not to anger him." I heard Doojoon whisper.

"If you're gonna whisper, do it so that I can't hear!" I shouted, and then pushed my way out.

I know there was no reason to be angry at them for fooling around, but for some strange reason, I just was.

"Hyung! Hyung!" Junhyung ran out after me. He put his arm over my shoulders and grinned stupidly.

"Don't be angry, hyung." I glared at him.

"I'll punch Doojoon!" He said.

"Why me?" Doojoon asked sadly.

"Should I get punched instead?" Junhyung asked.

"Of course not. Punch me. It's my fault. Just.. not my face. I'm already ugly. Don't make it worse." Doojoon said, covering his face.

I burst into laughter at that.

"The both of you, stop!" I shrugged Junhyung's arm off my shoulder.

"He's agreeing that you're ugly." I heard him tell Doojoon.

Doojoon pouted, sitting next to me.

"But I still love you. We can be the ugly couple." Junhyung said, openly kissing Doojoon on his lips.

I looked at the both of them. Their relationship was considered a taboo in our country, but they are not afraid to show the world. Whereas for me, I have never dared to kiss Min Jeong like this. What exactly was I afraid of?

"What?" This time, it was Doojoon who looked annoyed.

I shook my head and smiled awkwardly.

"Just... don't stop being so lovey dovey. Please don't stop." I said, and then turned away before they could see my tears.

"Is that sacarsm?" I heard Doojoon asked.

"You think too much, baby." Junhyung said.

And then there was silence. I guess they were kissing again.

Min Jeong ah, wake up so I can kiss you for the world to see. I would not hide anymore. I would not be afraid. Please.