Trust

What Is Pain?

Min Jeong's POV

"LEE KIKWANG!" Seungho yelled out of a sudden.

I jumped in surprised, but Kikwang laughed.

"What is it, hyung?" He asked in a teasing tone.

Seungho's expression was more than just ugly.

"I don't care what the both of you do." I said, pushing Kikwang away.

Seungho stared at me. I know he was annoyed by how close Kikwang was to me just now. To be honest, I felt slightly uncomfortable too.

"I have lots of questions for you, Jeongie ah!" Kikwang said, jumping around me with his textbook.

Since he was the same age as me, there was no reason for me to reject the nickname he had for me. Seungho hated it, but he did not say anything, which was honestly more frightening.

"Then sit down." I said, shoving him onto the sofa.

I took another glance at Seungho before sitting down next to Kikwang. Despite rocking Aeri to sleep, Seungho's eyes never took off Kikwang and I.

"Appa~" Aeri muttered into her sleep, snuggling deeper into the nape of Seungho's neck.

"Shh shh~" He hushed her.

She was being whiny today, unwilling to sleep no matter how I try to hush her. Although I was tired, I could not get angry at her. I guess she just missed her father, and it was obvious now. The moment she was in Seungho's arms, she let her tired-self show and sank into deep sleep.

The café was empty therefore Seungho had the luxury to hold his daughter to sleep while I tutored Kikwang.

“Should I hold her?” I offered after I realized he had not been moving for the past hour and a half.

He smiled and shook his head.

“Let me hold her.” I said, going up to him.

He looked at me, as if trying to ask me if I did not understand him.

“You will get a cramp, or rather, you might already be having a cramp.” I said.

“But I’m not.” He argued.

“Yang Seungho.” I said sternly.

He sighed and let loose of his protective arms around Aeri.

I took her into my arms as gently as possible.

“Let her lie here instead, so no one can get cramps, and she will sleep well.” Kikwang said, patting the sofa.

I let her lie down before covering the blanket over her. Kikwang dim the lights over at her side so she could sleep better.

“I… I will self study.” He said, winking at me before hurrying off.

“Lee Kikwang!” Seungho hissed.

“Hey~ He’s just kidding.” I smoothed his arm.

“It’s so annoying.” He grumbled.

“Why? Are you offended that someone is hitting on me?” I .

“I beg your pardon?” He asked.

“Ahh~ What did I say?” I turned away.

“Yah, I’m warning you.” He said.

“About what?” I asked.

“You better not have any feelings for any other man but me.” He said.

“So I cannot love Aeri?” I asked.

“Aeri is not a man.” He said.

“We are all man.” I said.

He opened his mouth, looking as if he wanted to say something, but he closed it, looking angry.

“Nawww~ Why is my Hoho so easily angry these days?” I hugged his waist, knowing it would work.

He shrugged me off, but I caught him smiling to himself.

“Is something bothering you?” I asked, massaging his muscles.

He shook his head.

“You are a bad liar, you know that, right?” I said.

“Just… You know~” He said.

“I don’t. So tell me.” I said.

“Don’t be so close with Kiki. I don’t like it.” He said.

I smacked him on his arm. He looked at me in shock.

“Yah! Yang Seungho! I rather you comment on how terrible my cooking is than say something like that!” I said.

“But your cooking isn’t terrible.” He said.

I glared hard at him. He smacked his mouth, and then pouted at me.

“You told me to say.” He said, still pouting.

“Do I really make you feel that insecure?” I asked.

“Tell me the truth.” I said.

“Sometimes.” He said.

I looked at him.

“Sometimes you get so close and comfortable with guys, I cannot help but wonder if I am just one of them. You know.” He said.

I went over to him and pulled him into my embrace.

“You, Yang Seungho, have severe trust issues.” I said.

“I kind of do.” He said.

“But I trust you.” He continued.

“You do?” I asked.

“Yes. I do. You know what they say about love? It is like handing a loaded gun to someone and trusting that they would not pull the trigger.” He said.

“How sure are you that I wouldn’t pull the trigger?” I asked.

“As sure as you make me feel.” He said.

 “I’m comfortable with every man I meet, but I am only willing to hand the gun to one, and that person is you.” I said.

This one, I mean it.

He rested his head against my neck and bit me playfully. I punched his stomach. He fell backwards onto the couch, laughing.

“You’re an idiot.” I said.

“Your idiot.” He stuck his tongue out playfully.

My heart sank at his smile. The mouth that asked him to trust me is lying to him at the same time.

***
Seungho’s POV

I went back home after Kikwang and I handed the shift over to the next person in the café. The café was abnormally busy today. Kikwang did not even have the time to study.

I opened the door and jumped when I saw Min Jeong sitting on the couch, staring into space. It was already 4.30AM. What was she doing still awake?

“Jeongie~” I called out.

She did not move. She did not seem to even hear me at all.

“Jeongie~” I called out again as I walked closer to her.

I hurried to hush her when she jumped at my presence.

“Sorry, did I frighten you?” I asked.

She shook her head. She was pale and her hands were cold.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?” I asked, feeling her forehead for her fever.

“Seungho.” She called out, pulling my hand away from her face.

“What’s wrong? Tell me.” I said.

“What’s that?” I asked, taking the piece of paper from her hand.

“No.” She said, clutching tightly.

“Give it to me. Be good.” I said, tugging the paper from her.

Her grip loosen, and I took the paper, reading it.

As I read, I felt my heart beating wildly against my chest, my knees weak.

“When did you receive this?” I asked.

“Awhile after you left.” She said softly.

“Why didn’t you call me?” I asked, trying to control my anger.

She looked at me, tears welling up in her eyes.

“Why?!” I shouted, not meaning to.

“I…” She could not speak. She choked on her tears. I ought to hug her. But I did not. Why?

“Where is she? Where is my Aeri?” I asked.

She said nothing, except cry.

“You let them take her?” I asked.

She was shaking. I could not tell if she was shaking in fear or telling me she did not.

“WHERE IS MY BABY GIRL!? HOW CAN YOU LET THEM TAKE HER!?” I yelled at her.

Losing control of myself, I grabbed her by her blouse.

“WHY!? I TRUSTED YOU! AERI TRUSTED YOU!” I yelled into her face.

She was a crying mess. I ought to hold her close to me and tell her that it is okay, but why is it that I am putting all the blame on her? Is it because Min Jeong was always strong, to the point I forgot that she could be weak too, therefore when she is helpless and needs me, I do not know how to handle it?

She kept on crying, and crying. Despite my rough grip on her, all I saw in her eyes was nothing but guilt.