Happy Birthday

What Is Pain?

Seungho's POV

She turned back to look at me. I looked back at her, biting my lower lip.

"It's my birthday today." I said softly, trying at the same time not to sound pathetic.

"Well, then, happy birthday." She said coldly.

"Thank you." I muttered, nodding my head as a bow.

When I looked up, I was greeted by the closing of the door. Did she leave?

"Where are you going?" I asked, and silence was my answer.

"Why are you leaving me alone on my birthday?" I asked no one in particular.

I lied back down, in hope that the tears swimming in my eyes would not flow, but the salty taste in my mouth told me that I had lost.

"You're stupid." I scolded myself as I slapped my cheek.

"Are you okay?" I looked over when I heard a voice ask.

The nurse was looking at me with wide eyes.

"Yea." I muttered, wiping away my tears. Since she has already saw it, no point being discreet about it.

"Does it hurt?" She asked, smiling gently at me like as if her words would hurt me.

"No." I said, wanting her to actually just hurry out of the room so I could sink into my own sea of sadness and stay there forever.

"The girl who was here was really worried for you." She said as she checked whatever she needed to.

"She was so worried to the point it was funny." She laughed.

"Why are you laughing at her? Who are you to be laughing at her?" I glared at her. I had no idea why I reacted like that but I just got angry. I did not like how she talked about Min Jeong.

"Don't get me wrong." She said, taken aback.

"Why are you mocking her when you barely knew her?" I asked.

"I'm not mocking her. Sorry if I sounded rude. But what I really wanted to say was she's really cute. She was pacing up and down and letting imaginations run while as she thought of all sorts of things that could happen to you. It's been long since I seen such a heartwarming scene. It's like she isn't afraid to show to the world that she is scared for you, scared to lose you. It's really cute." She explained.

"Sorry." I said, feeling so embarrassed.

"It's okay. It's normal to get angry I guess, the fact I spoke about your girlfriend so lightly. I apologize." She said.

"She's not... my girlfriend." I said.

"She's not?" Her eyes widened.

I shook my head.

"That's a pity. But then again, I guess she must like you very, very much then." She smiled.

I smiled back.

I would not have denied that Min Jeong likes me if she said it before what happened as Min Jeong was never stingy with her love. But now, after my horrible attitude towards her, I am not even sure if Min Jeong wants to see me again, let alone like me.

***

I tried to sleep, but I could not. I found myself staring at the door, and every single sound or movement I hear or see, I would be alert like wolf waiting to pounce on the deer, except, I am a very lousy wolf as none of my senses were accurate.

Even if Min Jeong hated me, did she not tell Kikwang or Ahjumma about this? Where is my baby Aeri? Are they all too angry to want to see me?

"I miss you, baby~" I said, looking at the photo of Aeri and myself in my wallet.

"Appa is very stupid, right? Apparently deserve this kind of treatment from her, right?" I said again.

"But today is my birthday. I thought... when I told her about it, she would at least stay. I guess I a wrong. Either that, or I screwed up big time." I continued.

I could picture Aeri nodding in agreement. I sure screwed up big time.

But I cannot understand, Min Jeong is just a friend. How is it she can make me feel like this?

I kept tossing and turning, still unable to fall asleep. The nurses who kept coming in and out of my room to so-called check on me did not make it better. Each time the door opens, I thought it was Min Jeong. Seeing the nurse instead each time was like having a bucket of cold water splashed onto me, over and over again.

But still, whenever the door opens, I would dumbly get excited, thinking it is her.

“Are you feeling okay, Seungho sshi? You should rest.” The nurse asked.

“I’m trying to.” I muttered.

“Is it because it’s painful? Do you want some painkillers?” She asked.

‘It’s because you cannot stop coming in my room.’ I wanted to say.

“No. It’s not painful.” I said instead.

“Are you hungry then? Do you want some food? You haven’t eaten anything.” She said.

“I’m good.” I said.

“Then, is there anything I can get you?” She asked.

‘Min Jeong. I want Min Jeong. Get me Min Jeong. I want my baby too. Get me my baby. I want Kiki, and Ahjumma as well. Get them all for me. If you can’t, at least get me Min Jeong and Aeri.’ My mind said.

“No. I’m good. I’m good.” My mouth said.

“Alright then. Let me know if you need anything.” She smiled before leaving.

I sighed as I lied back down. I closed my eyes, hoping to fall asleep so I would not be thinking of her.

***
“Stop~” I mumbled as I tried to get rid of the weird feeling in my face.

It felt like someone was blowing air onto my face. There was a weight on my chest, making it hard for me to breathe. I must have fallen asleep, but what is this strange pressure?

I tried to open my eyes but someone was covering my eyes. The person’s palms felt small and smelled familiar; strawberry biscuits. Aeri’s favourite.

“Sweetheart?” I asked.

I heard a familiar chuckle, and then the hands were removed. I opened my eyes slowly as I gave myself time to adjust to the light.

“Ha~” I laughed when I saw Aeri sitting on my stomach, grinning at me as she ate her favourite strawberry biscuits.

I looked passed her and saw Min Jeong, Kikwang and Ahjumma standing behind.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!” They shouted in unison.

I jumped in shock despite the fact I saw them there.

“Were you shocked!?” Min Jeong laughed like it was the funniest thing on Earth.

“He obviously is! Hyung is a scaredy-cat!” Kikwang said.

I glared at him.

“No, no~ Kiki is the scaredy-cat.” He said quickly, hiding behind Min Jeong.

Our eyes met and I could not seem to look away.

Min Jeong’s POV

Seungho stared at me, and although he did not say anything, I could somehow tell what was going through his mind; ‘It’s my birthday, why did you leave?’.

I left to prepare this for you, Seungho-ah~

“Appapa!” Aeri smacked Seungho’s chest with her tiny fists to get his attention.

“Aeriri!” Seungho squashed her cheeks, earning chuckles from the girl, and in return had a shower of her saliva on his face.

She rested on his chest comfortably with his good arm slung over her back.

“How are you feeling?” Ahjumma asked as she sat down next to him.

“I’m good.” He smiled.

“Are you hungry?” I asked.

He looked at me, not saying anything.

“Of course Hyung is! Let me prepare the food!” Kikwang said.

“I’ll help.” I said, following behind him.

“Is he unhappy?” I asked Kikwang when it was just us.

“Who? What?” He asked.

“Your hyung. Seungho.” I said.

“What about hyung?” He asked.

“Is your hyung unhappy?” I asked.

“Hyung is in shock.” He smiled.

“In shock? But…” He walked away before I could ask more.

Throughout the whole so-called celebration, we were just amused by Aeri and her little stunts. That fearless girl was climbing up and down, busying herself with everything she could find.

“Is this your jungle gym?” I asked as I caught her in my arms.

She giggled and tried to my arm.

“You’re like a little puppy.” I kissed her on her cheek.

“Appa! Appa!” She stretched her hands out.

“Yes, baby?” Seungho asked, smiling at her. The smile he has for her is so different. Like it was customized for only her.

“BOO!” She covered her face with her palms and opened them again. We burst into laughter at her cute little attempt at peek-a-boo.

“Darling, whose birthday is it today?” I asked.

“Aeri!” She grinned.

“Really?” I asked.

“Aeri Appa!” She pointed at Seungho with her foot.

Seungho was a smiling mess.

“Oh!” Ahjumma exclaimed out of a sudden.

All of us turned to look at her, including Aeri.

“We forgot the cake!” She said as she hurried out to get it.

Aeri started laughing before any of us could react.

“That’s Ahjumma’s way of reminding us of the things we forgot.” Seungho said.

“Have my baby pumpkin gone mad?” Seungho asked Aeri who was still laughing and punching Kikwang’s arm.

“Aeri ah~ I’ll wait for you to grow up, okay?” Kikwang said as he let her sit on his lap.

“Don’t you dare have any obscene thoughts on my baby.” Seungho said with a glare.

“Aeri ah~ Your Appa is scary.” Kikwang said to Aeri.

Aeri looked at him with her wide eyes, expressionless.

“Boo!” She exclaimed out of a sudden.

“Omo!” Kikwang almost fell off the chair.

“That’s my girl!” Seungho laughed.

As much as I did not want to laugh, I could not help it. Aeri, you are too cute.

Ahjumma came in with the cake in her hands.

“The nurse specifically said no lighting up of candles in the room, but what is a birthday without the cake and a lighted candle? So let’s make this quick.” She said as she lighted up the candle.

“I like how Ahjumma looks like an Ahjumma on the outside but is actually a rebel inside.” Kikwang said.

Ahjumma smacked him on his chest.

“Quick!” She urged.

We sang Seungho the birthday song while trying to stop Aeri from smashing her face into the cake.

“Make a wish!” I said.

He closed his eyes, and then open them again as he blew out the candles.

The moment I took the candle away, Aeri punched her fist into the cake and smeared cake all over Seungho’s face.

“Hey! I was supposed to do that!” Kikwang pouted at Aeri.

“What did you say!?” Seungho’s eyes widened.

And that was how our mini cake fight started. Ahjumma stepped in when she realized that we were having too much fun. In the end, we only had a quarter of the cake left to eat.

“What are you doing?” Seungho asked Aeri suddenly.

She was the cream off his arm.

“Aigoo~ Poor thing~ We have more cake here. Don’t your Appa like that.” I carried her off him.

I cleaned her and myself up while Kikwang cleaned himself and helped Seungho. Ahjumma cleaned up the room. After everyone and everything was cleaned, we settled down to eat what was left of the cake.

“Thank you for today.” Seungho said as he fed Aeri.

“It was Min Jeong’s idea.” Ahjumma said.

Seungho looked at me. I looked away quickly, feeling embarrassed.

“We should go soon.” Kikwang said.

“Yea. You guys should. This pumpkin needs to sleep.” Seungho said, kissing Aeri on her cheek.

As if she knew we were leaving, she clutched tightly onto Seungho’s top.

“What’s wrong?” Seungho asked.

She hugged him tightly, not letting go of him.

“Aeri ah, be a good girl. You need to sleep, and so do your Appa. We’ll come back tomorrow, okay?” I coaxed her.

“Appa! Mine!” She pouted.

“Of course your Appa is yours.” I laughed.

Aeri was as tough as I expected her to be. She refused to let go of Seungho. Despite her young age, her grip was as firm as her thoughts were. She almost tore Seungho’s top when we tried to get her off him.

“You know what,” I said, giving up already.

“Let her stay. I’ll take her back to my place later on. Kikwang, send Ahjumma home please.” I said.

“But, she…” Ahjumma muttered, looking worried.

“Don’t worry. I’ll not kill her.” I joked.

“Of course I’m not worried about that.” She said.

“Seungho, are you okay with me taking care of Aeri?” I asked.

“Sure.” He said.

“Hyung, we’ll come back tomorrow then.” Kikwang said, giving his hyung a hug.

“Thank you for coming.” Seungho said.

“Don’t say such things.” He answered.

After Ahjumma and Kikwang left, Aeri’s grip on Seungho loosened.

“Naughty pumpkin.” Seungho poked her nose.

She laughed and snuggled her face into his neck.

“Now that you have won, it’s time to sleep.” He said, letting her rest on his chest while patting her back lightly.

I sat on the couch and lost myself as I watch him hum to her softly, coaxing her to sleep.

“Thank you for today.” He said so softly I almost could not hear.

Aeri was already in a deep sleep.

“No problem.” I said, looking at Aeri who seemed so peaceful.

“Min Jeong ah~” He called out.

I shifted my gaze to look at him. We stared at each other in silence.

“Oh, I got you something.” I said as I remembered the present I got him.

“Let me get her first.” I said, gently carrying Aeri off him.

The girl was in such a deep sleep nothing could wake her.

I settled her on the couch before going to dig into my bag.

“Here.” I said, handing him his present.

“You got me a present?” He asked, seemingly shocked.

“You don’t want it?” I asked.

“No. I… I just… I just thought you were angry with me and…” I silenced him with my finger before he could continue blabbering nonsense.

“Just answer me this, do you want this present?” I asked.

He nodded.

“Good boy.” I smiled as I handed him the wrapped box.

He unwrapped the wrapper so carefully like as if any rough movement would hurt it.

“Why are you being so gentle?” I laughed.

“It’s precious.” He said.

“What?” I asked.

“I mean…” His eyes widened before he could finish speaking.

“You…” He stared at me.

“Like it?” I asked.

He said nothing, except stare at me.

“I know you think it’s pointless and all, but it’s really essential. Don’t go telling me if people in the past could live without having a cellphone, you could to. Take this gift as my own selfish method of wanting to know your whereabouts constantly and being able to contact you easily.” I said.

“I… wasn’t planning on saying it’s pointless. I was going to get a phone anyway, but I like your reason as to why I should have one.” He said with a slight smirk.

The smirk on his face made me want to punch him and hide away in embarrassment at the same time.

“Thank you.” He said.

“Whatever.” I looked away.

I played with Aeri’s hair while watching him play with the phone. He seemed to already know how to use it despite this being his first phone, or so he say.

“Alright. Enough of playing.” I took the phone away from him. He looked at me so pitifully that I felt like I snatched away a 3-year-old’s toy.

“Play with it tomorrow. Sleep now.” I said, covering the blanket over him.

“But I…” He muttered, pouting as I kept the phone away into the drawer.

“No buts. Sleep.” I said.

“Are you leaving already?” He asked.

I nodded.

“She needs to sleep comfortably too, no? Although she looks comfortable enough.” I said.

“Go home and rest.” He smiled.

“I’ll come back tomorrow. Don’t you dare take out the phone and play with it. Do you hear me?” I asked.

He pouted and nodded.

“Good boy. Good night.” I said, unknowingly brushing my fingers across his cheek.

I picked Aeri up in my arms and let him plant a kiss on her forehead before heading for the door.

“So, can I text you?” He asked just as I was leaving.

“Text all you want~” I said as I left.

The next morning, I choked when I opened my eyes; 85 messages from Yang Seungho.

***
i23.gifMin Jeong, Kikwang, Ahjumma: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

yidq.gifMin Jeong: Play with it tomorrow. Sleep now.

jzaq.gifMin Jeong: I’ll come back tomorrow. Don’t you dare take out the phone and play with it. Do you hear me?

gfo.gifMin Jeong: Text all you want.