Third Trimester - Unexpected Arrival

What Is Pain?

I sat in Doojoon's office, waiting patiently for him to arrive. He had called me in, saying it was urgent, but when I came, he was no where to be seen. I was getting impatient and about to leave when his nurse came in.

"Mr Yang! Have you been here for long?" She asked.

"Yes. Where is he?" I asked, but almost instantly regretted my tone.

I was getting more irritatable as our baby's due date neared. But I know I should not use that as an excuse to be rude to the world.

"Dr Yoon is in a bit of an emergency now. He told me to tell you that he is really sorry and that he will rush over as soon as possible. Meanwhile, please make yourself comfortable." She said politely.

"Thanks." I said.

"Can I get you anything to eat or drink?" She asked.

"No, thank you." I said.

"Okay then, if you need anything, I'll just be outside."  She said.

As much as I understood the reason for Doojoon's lateness, I got more impatient as the time passed. It has been almost two hours and still no sight of him.

"Are you leaving?" His nurse asked when I stepped out.

"Yes, but I will be at Min Jeong's. Please tell him that I'll wait for him there." I said.

"Sure." She smiled.

"You know who Min Jeong is, I assume?" I asked, just to make sure.

"Everyone here knows her, and are praying for her speedy recovery." She said.

I smiled and thanked her before leaving. But really, speedy recovery? It is really going kind of un-speedy then.

***

"Hi, babies." I said, kissing Min Jeong on her cheek before sitting down next to her.

I caress her gigantic baby bump, feeling our little one being extremely active inside.

"You cannot wait to get out, hmm?" I asked. Our baby kicked in reply.

"Ah!" I yelped.

"You're so strong!" I said.

Our baby might have taken it as an encouragement to kick more.

"Okay, okay, stop. You're going to hurt your umma." I said, calming our baby down.

I asked for the gender of our baby to be undisclosed. Although I am really curious, I know this is how Min Jeong would do it if she is awake. She likes surprises like that.

"Darling, are you nervous? Don't you worry, okay? I will be with you." I said, holding onto her hand.

"But honestly, I'm more nervous than you are. You know I'm not the calmest person ever, right? I probably need you to hold my hand and assure me that everything is okay while you give birth. I'm useless like that." I said, resting my head against her shoulder.

"I miss you, Jeongie ah. I know I always complain about how noisy you are. I'll never do that again, because not being able to hear your voice is much more unbearable than your non-stop chattering. Who was I to even complain about your voice? I was so lucky, but I never appreciated it." I said.

"I miss you, Min Jeong ah. I really do." I said as I massaged her body.

Time spent with her, although doing nothing, would pass really quickly. I had no idea how long passed when Doojoon came in, looking really exhausted and pale.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

His attempt to reply me turned into a coughing fit. He gestured me to come outside as he coughed his lungs out.

"I'll be back." I said to Pandy as I headed out.

Seeing that he was not getting better, I hurried to grab him a cup of water.

"Drink slowly." I said, fearing he might choke.

"Thanks." He said finally.

"You are sick." I said.

"Just slightly." He said.

I touched his forehead. He was hot to touch.

"How is this slightly!?" I exclaimed.

"It's okay." He said, putting on a face mask.

"I have something to discuss with you." He said.

I nodded, gesturing him to go on.

"As you know, Min Jeong's due date is near." He said.

"Yes, I've been wanting to ask you. How do I go about setting a date for the cesearean? Or should I go ask her gynae instead?" I asked.

"That's what I want to talk about. We've spoken and came to a conclusion that cesarean might probably not be the safest way for her to give birth." He said.

My jaw dropped.

"We are afraid that putting her under anesthesia for the surgery might cause her to be in a coma permanently. We are afraid that she might never wake up. It's risky. It is not a risk necessary to take." He explained.

 There was a silence between us so deafening that I was sure I could hear my heart beat.

"Then... What?" I asked finally.

"Natural birth." He said.

"WHAT!? HOW!? ISNT THAT MORE DANGEROUS!? ARE YOU CRAZY!?" I yelled at him.

"Listen! Although she may be in a coma, but she is strong enough to give birth naturally. I know it sounds absurd. It may be uncommon but it has been done before!" He said.

"It doesn't make sense! This doesn’t make sense!" I shouted at him, although very clearly knowing that none of this was his fault. He was simply telling me in the position as a doctor the best way ever. And sometimes, the best way may not be less crazy than the worst way.

He looked like he was about to say something but ended up in another coughing fit.

Just as I was about to ask if he was okay, a loud voice interrupted us.

"ARE YOU CRAZY!? HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST A RIDICULOUS METHOD LIKE THIS!? YOU CALL YOURSELF A DOCTOR!? YOU CALL YOURSELF MIN JEONG'S FRIEND!?" Junhyung grabbed him by his collar as he shouted into his face.

"Listen, darling." Doojoon said in a gentle voice. He was obviously too sick to even argue back.

Junhyung slapped him across his face, staining Doojoon's once pale cheek red almost instantly.

"Let's talk later." Doojoon said in an almost inaudible tone. He then turned and left.

I turned to Junhyung who seemed genuinely shocked at his own actions.

"Why didn't you hear out his explanation?" I asked.

"I don't know. What did I do?" He asked, looking scared like a little boy.

"Go apologize." I said.

He buried his face into his palms.

"Junhyung~" I called out.

He did not respond. I guess he needed some time, therefore I sat down next to him.

Doojoon's words flooded my mind. What should I do? Min Jeong, tell me what should I do.

***
I busied myself with work while Aeri is in school. I was trying to get as much as possible done for Junhyung before next week comes.

Min Jeong's due date is next week, and when the baby comes, I know I will have my hands full.

Natural birth is the most optimal decision for Min Jeong. I honestly do not know how I should feel about it. I guess all the happenings lately have numbed my ability to feel anything emotional.

"What is it?" I asked when Pandy barked.

He kept barking and biting on my shirt, as though trying to drag me somewhere.

I glanced at the clock and cursed out loud. I was supposed to go pick Aeri up half an hour ago.

"Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!" I cursed as I hurried out of the house.

I took a cab. It was something I would never do unless necessary. Although I still had some time left, I did not want to risk Aeri walking out of class and not see me.

"7000 won." The driver said.

As I was searching for the money, I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen. It did not feel like the normal pain I use to have. This felt more like a sudden stab that cuts off your breath for a second.

"Are you okay?" The cab driver asked.

I looked at him, unable to digest his words for that moment.

"Sir?" He called out.

I nodded and pulled out 10,000 won for him.

"Are you sure?" He asked as he handed me the change.

"Yes. Thanks." I muttered as I stepped out.

I stood at my usual corner, waiting for Aeri. The pain was gone, but it left a lingering ache. Like when someone deliberately press on your bruise, unwilling to let go.

"Appa!!!!" Aeri screamed as she crash her weight against me, knocking my breath out of me once again.

"Hey~" I said, regaining myself quickly.

She kept clinging on my waist, unwilling to let go.

"Did my baby turn into a little monkey?" I asked, carrying her up.

She giggled, snuggling her face into my neck.

"What do you want for lunch?" I asked her.

"Appa!" She said, sinking her teeth into my shoulder even before I could respond.

Aeri's recent new habit is to bite me. She does not bite me hard, but I should guess I should start educating her on proper human behaviour. She cannot go around biting anyone she desires.

But with a face like Aeri's, it is very hard to tell her that she cannot do something. I end up kissing her on her cheek and calling her a good girl.

"I spoil you so bad it doesn't make sense." I said.

"But I am not spoiled!" She protested.

"Of course you aren't." I laughed, kissing her all over, earning giggles from her.

When we got home, she pounced onto Pandy, scaring the guts out of the half asleep dog.

"How many times must I tell you not to do that?" I said, frowning slightly.

"But Aeri is excited to see Pandy!" She pouted.

"Still, you could have called him gently. He is very excited to see you too but does he pounce on you when you are asleep? Hmm?" I asked her.

She shook her head and looked down.

"I'm not scolding you. I just don't wish for you to give Pandy a heart attack. You want to have Pandy for a long, long time, right?" I said, cupping her cheeks.

"Sorwy~" She said, poking Pandy. He her all over and tackled her to the ground playfully.

"Both of you, little things." I laughed as I headed into the kitchen to prepare lunch for her.

I kept an eye on them as I cooked.

"Yah, yah, yah! Aeri ah!" I yelled when I saw her running blindly, knocking over a cup of water onto my laptop. She seemed surprised and wanted to reverse the situation by sweeping the water away. My heart almost stopped when I saw her actions. For that split moment, I thought she was going to get electrocuted.

"HANDS OFF!" I shouted, a little too fiercely. I turned off the fire and carried her away from there, putting her on the table while I went to turn off the plug.

Pandy barked fiercely at me.

"What is it?" I asked him, slightly annoyed.

Whatever I was doing for the entire morning was now gone.

Pandy growled at me, and then turned to walk to where Aeri was. It was only then did I realize that she was weeping softly on her own.

"Hey, sweetheart, why are you crying?" I asked, going to her.

Pandy head-butted my legs and continued barking.

"Ahh~ Appa wasn't scolding you. I was afraid you might get hurt, that's why I was a little fierce. I'm sorry." I hugged her.

"Appa, sorwy." She cried.

"Silly girl. I'm not even angry. I could redo those again. But if I lost you, I wouldn't be able to remake another sweetheart." I said, wiping off her tears that did not seem to stop flowing.

"Appa shouldn't have yelled. I'm sorry." I said, carrying her into my arms, trying to hush her.

After 15 minutes or so of hushing, she finally stopped crying but was still upset. I felt so guilty. I should have just said no. Why did I have to react so fiercely?

"Appa have to finish cooking your lunch. You are hungry, right?" I asked, putting her down on the couch.

She shook her head.

"Even so, I still have to finish cooking. I'll be back, okay? 20 minutes." I said, kissing her on her forehead.

Pandy jumped onto the couch, lying on Aeri's lap, allowing her to pull his ears and doing all sorts of weird stuff she does when she is upset.

I tried to feed her lunch but she refused to eat.

"Alright. Never mind." I sighed, feeling defeated.

I cleared everything and headed back to the kitchen. As I was putting away the food, I felt that same sharp pain in my abdomen, except this time it was more painful and it lasted longer.

I did not know I had been groaning until Aeri came over, looking worried.

"Appa~" She called out, tugging onto my shirt.

"Yea~" I forced a smile. I gripped onto the countertop so tightly my knuckles turned white.

"Appa, are you okay?" Aeri asked, looking scared.

"I am okay." I smiled, assuring her.

The pain faded away, leaving me panting for air.

Aeri tugged onto my shirt.

"I'm really okay." I assured her again, kissing her on her forehead.

She climbed onto the chair and started eating on her own. I sat down next to her, watching her eat.

"I love you." She said suddenly.

"Me too. I love you so much." I said.

I carried her to sit on my lap, feeding her. Although she may be perfectly capable of feeding herself, I still enjoy babying her. It would not be long before she would probably hate me being around her. I got to grab whatever chance I have now.

“Sweetheart~” I called out.

“Hmm?” She looked up, cheeks stuffed with food.

“Aigoo~ Why are you so cute?” I laughed, kissing her on her nose.

“Baby, will you ever dislike Appa?” I asked her.

She frowned, seemingly confused at my question.

“When you grow older, will you still want Appa to hug you and kiss you like this?” I asked, holding her closer to me.

She turned around and circled her arms around my neck, resting her cheek against my shoulder. I could hear her chewing her food.

“Why aren’t you answering me?” I asked.

She looked at me, frowning as she chewed her food.

“Opps. You’re eating. Sorry, I forgot. You learn so well, my sweet girl.” I said. I taught her to not talk with full.

When she finally swallowed her food, she hugged me again.

“When I grow older…” She said.

I listened attentively.

“I’ll hug and kiss Appa instead.” She said, with a hint of cheekiness in her voice.

“Aren’t you doing it now?” I asked.

“I’ll do it even more!” She said excitedly.

“Promise?” I asked.

She stuck out her pinky. I hooked my pinky around hers.

“It’s a promise, okay?” I said.

She nodded and kissed me on my lips. Her unexpected movement took me aback. But it was a good kind of shock.

“But Aeri cannot go around kissing other men randomly, you know that right?” I said.

She looked at me, and then went back to eating.

“Yah, Aeri ah, answer me. Did you kiss someone else behind my back? Yah, Aeri!” I asked, but she kept on eating, obviously avoiding my answer.

I kept poking her but she kept shrugging me away, eventually running away from me.

“Don’t you know by running away it has become really obvious!?” I yelled.

I was responded by the slam of the door.

My girl has grown up. She is kissing other men, avoiding my questions and slamming doors at me.

***
When Aeri and Pandy were having their afternoon nap, I continued with my work. I was lucky that the water did not spoil the laptop hence my work was safe.

The pain came and went, but it was only until hours later that it got really unbearable. It was so bad I could not even get up to go to the room. I lied on the floor, hugging onto my abdomen. 

I had thoughts of Min Jeong being in labour, but her due date was next week. It cannot be that the baby decides to come early, right? Or am I wrong?

I had no idea how long did I lie on the floor from.

“Appa~” Aeri called out.

I tried to turn to her, but every movement hurt like crazy.

“Appa!” She called out worriedly, squatting in front of me.

“Aeri ah~” I panted.

She shook me, preventing me from closing my eyes.

“Aeri, can you.. get my phone?” I asked her, pointing to the corner.

Pandy, who was following behind her, barked and me all over my face.

“I’m okay.” I said, petting his head.

Aeri ran back with my phone, handing it to me.

“Thanks, baby.” I said.

I did the breathing exercise Doojoon taught me to calm myself down. I wanted to scream and cry from the pain, but I did not want to scare Aeri. I managed to dial Doojoon’s number despite it all, but he was taking longer than usual to answer.

I was about to hang up when he answered.

“Hello?” He answered, sounding disorientated.

“Doojoon.” I called out.

“Hyung? Yes, hyung?” He asked.

“Doojoon ah, I think.. I think Min Jeong might be in labour.” I said.

“What?” He asked.

“Min Jeong. Labour. Now.” I said.

“Are you serious? Isn’t it next week? Are you feeling it already?” He asked worriedly. I could hear shuffling in the background. He sounded like he was changing.

“I’ve been feeling it for the whole day. But I don’t know. I only know it hurts so much now I think I am going to die soon.” I said.

“Okay, just breathe. I’ll go to the hospital to check on her, and I’ll get Junhyung to go get you, okay? Keep calm, and just breathe.” He said.

I wanted to give him a proper answer, but a wave of pain hit me again. The best answer I could give him was me whimpering in pain. I ended the call and threw my phone aside.

“Appa!” Aeri cried, forcing herself into my embrace.

“Aigoo, my sweet girl. Why are you crying again? Appa is okay. Don’t cry.” I comforted her.

Pandy snuggled himself under my arms as well. With the both of them beside me, the pain seems more bearable than before.

If Min Jeong is really in labour, I did not want to wait until she had given birth to be there. I want to be there now, to support her. She needs me there. Or rather, I need to be there with her now.

I called Kikwang, but he did not answer. He must be in school. That boy has finally decided to put effort into his studies, which was a good thing.

I wanted to call Min Jeong’s brother, HyunKi, but I realised I did not have his number.

“Let’s do this.” I said to myself.

“Come, sweetheart, let Appa stand up.” I said.

She got off me, and so did Pandy.

Just as I was thinking of how to get myself up, Aeri grabbed both my arms and pulled me with all the strength she has in her little body. Pandy helped by biting onto the leg of my pants too.

With much difficulty, I finally got up.

“Thank you.” I kissed the both of them.

I groaned softly as I made my way into the room, grabbing my stuff. Aeri and Pandy were following behind me.

“Appa, where are we going?” She asked, looking worried.

“We are going to Min Jeong unnie.” I said.

“But Appa!” She pouted.

“What is it, sweetheart?” I asked.

“Appa is pain.” She pouted, rubbing my stomach.

“Appa is okay.” I kissed her on her forehead.

“Go grab your teddy, quick.” I said.

She ran into the room and came back with two teddies.

“One only, baby.” I said.

I had to lean against the wall for support.

“One is for Appa.” She said, stuffing the toy under my shirt.

“What do I do with you being so sweet?” I said.

Pandy barked, getting my attention. As much as I wanted him to stay at home, I guess Min Jeong would want him with her too.

“Come, buddy. I’m not going to leash you today, but you promise me you’ll be a good boy and listen to my commands, okay?”

He barked, and I knew it was a yes.

“Let’s go.” I said, letting them out first.

“Where are all the cabs when we need them?” I muttered.

The pain was getting more intense by the minute and I was on the verge of collapsing on the ground. Aeri was squeezing my hand really tightly, giving me all the strength she has.

“Aeri!” I yelled when she let go of my hand and ran out onto the road. Pandy barked and ran after her, pulling her back by bitting the back of her shirt.

I was about to scold her when I realised what she wanted to do. Her sharp eyes saw a vacant cab, and knowing that I probably would not be able to make it out fast enough to hail for it, she wanted to do it for me.

“You scared me.” I said, hugging her.

I opened the door of the cab, and then suddenly remember Pandy. Not all cab drivers are friendly with dogs, especially one so big and without the leash.

“I have a dog with me. Are you okay with it?” I asked him.

He looked at me, and then at Pandy.

“Please. Please. Please.” Aeri said suddenly, taking us all aback.

“How can I say no to you, little Miss?” The cab driver smiled, gesturing us to come in.

“Thank you so much.” I said, letting Pandy in first, followed by Aeri and myself.

I told him the address to the hospital.

“Are you unwell? You look really pale.” He said.

“My wife… She is probably in labour.” I said.

He looked confused, but did not ask further.

When we arrived at the hospital, I paid him.

“Congratulations.” He said suddenly.

“Huh?” I looked at him.

“You said your wife is probably in labour, right? That means you’re going to be a father again. You are a great father, seeing what a fine young lady you have raised.” He said.

“Thank you.” I smiled.

Aeri is a fine young lady on her own. I did not do anything. I claim no credit.

***
“Seungho hyung!” I heard a familiar voice called as I tried to make my way to Min Jeong.

Junhyung was looking at me with wide eyes.

“Jun… hyung.” I panted, half smiling.

He hastily got out of his car and came to support me.

“You came here on your own!? Why didn’t you wait for me!? Is it so difficult to wait for me!? What’s wrong with all of you!? Why are all of you so impatient!?” He yelled.

Why is he so angry? What happened?

“I’m okay. It’s not very painful.” I assured him.

“Whatever. Come, let’s go.” He said, supporting me with one hand and holding Aeri with his other hand.

“Sir!” Another voice shouted.

We turned to find the security guard waving at us.

“You cannot park your car here!” He said.

“Clamp it then! Clamp it real tight!” Junhyung said.

Why is he being so angry?

“Sir, you’re blocking the exit. Please understand this is where ambulance come and go.” He said.

“Yea. Go park it away. I’ll be fine.” I said.

“Wait for me here. Like really, wait for me here.” He said.

I nodded. I apologized to the security guard for Junhyung’s temper. The moment Junhyung drove off, I walked off with Aeri and Pandy. I cannot wait for him. He was going to scream at me, but I really could not wait.

Once at the ward, I knew something was not right when I saw nurses running around.

“Seungho sshi, you’re finally here! You got to come! Min Jeong sshi is in labour.” One of the nurses said.

“Aeri, be a very good girl, okay? Sit here with Pandy and wait for Appa. Alright?” I said to her.

Aeri shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes.

“Appa is okay. I promise you. I’ll come for you later on. I need to go see Min Jeong. Please.” I pleaded her.

She nodded reluctantly. Just as I was about to walk away, she tugged onto my shirt and handed her teddy bear to me.

“I already have one.” I said, waving the toy she handed to me earlier on.

“Jeongie.” She said so softly I almost could not here.

“Okay, I’ll pass it to her.” I said.

I knew she was staring at me as I left, but I could not bear to look at her. Sorry, Aeri. Your Appa is useless.

When I got to Min Jeong’s ward, I saw Doojoon pacing up and down outside.

“You’re here!” He said, dragging me inside before I could even respond.

Min Jeong’s gynae was around her, checking this and that. There were lots of nurses walking around too. I was confused as to what was happening. I only knew Min Jeong was in labour, because firstly, Doojoon told me, and secondly, I have been feeling it all day.

“She is in labour. Your baby decided that he or she wants to come early. Impatient baby.” Doojoon smiled.

“How is she now? Is she okay? Are you sure she wouldn’t be in any danger?” I asked.

“Come and take a look for yourself.” The gynae gestured me.

I felt a little awkward, but I did as I was told.

“She’s very nicely dilated. I reckon in another two to three hours, your baby will see the world. But in this two to three hours, you are probably going to suffer.” She said.

I had come to terms with the pain, or rather, contractions. I was even unconsciously breathing the way I was taught.

“Not an issue for me.” I said.

“You’re doing very well. Let us know if the pain gets worse. In the meantime, you may sit here and encourage her. We will be around. Don’t worry. Everything will be fine.” She assured me.

I nodded and sat down next to Min Jeong. When we finally had time for ourselves, I held onto her hand.

“Are you in pain? Hmm? I hope not. Min Jeong ah, it’s been nine months. Even our baby is coming to see us. How about you? When are you going to wake up and take a look at us? We all miss you. I miss you. I need you.” I said.

“Oh right, Aeri wants me to hand her power teddy to you.” I said, letting teddy sit on top of her baby bump.

“Should I call her in? She would love to see her brother, no?” I said.

After awhile, I asked for the nurse to call Aeri and Pandy in. Aeri seems to know what was going on. She kissed Min Jeong on her cheek, told her something I could not hear, and then went to play on her own.

Every time she came, she would whisper something into Min Jeong’s ears. Whenever I asked what she said, she would refuse to tell me, saying that it is a secret. Well, I guess girls do love having their little secrets, no matter how old they get.

Pandy jumped onto the chair next to Min Jeong, resting his head against Min Jeong’s shoulder. He had his own quiet way in giving her support. It was amazing to see. I cannot tell who is luckier, we to have him, or him to have us.

The doctors and nurses did a great job in leaving us alone. They only came occasionally to check on her blood pressure and dilation, and to ask me how the pain was.

I kept talking to her, encouraging her and our baby as I caressed her gigantic baby bump. But as the time passed, my words got lesser and the pain got more intense. At the end, I was just caressing her baby bump while focusing on my breathing.

“How’s everything?” Doojoon asked as he came in.

“ing hurts.” I muttered.

He was about to take a look when I stopped him.

“You’re not allowed to.” I said.

“I am a doctor.” He said.

“And her friend too. No!” I insisted.

“I’m professional!” He said.

“NO!!!!” I yelled.

I had no idea what got over me, but no, I was not going to let Doojoon look at Min Jeong’s private area.

“Fine, fine. Calm down. Alright? I’ll get the gynae. Just sit down.” He said.

The gynae came awhile later. She checked, and then smiled at me.

“It’s going to be any time now. You tell me.” She said.

She got Doojoon to clear the room, meaning bringing Aeri and Pandy out, leaving in the room her, a nurse and me.

“I guess you could concentrate better like this.” She said.

“Thanks.” I panted.

“Describe the pain to me.” She said.

“Feels like, someone is pushing a knife into me. Even though the knife is already inside me. My back, my entire lower body, no, screw that, my entire body, is hurting like crazy. There’s no description for this type of pain. It’s just… the definition of pain.  Maybe, it redefined pain. And , don’t make me talk.” I groaned.

She laughed and nodded.

“We were not expecting this, thus we had no time to prep you on how to deal with the pain.” She continued talking.

This gynae sure is talkative. Can she not tell from the look on my face that I absolutely do not wish to talk or hear anyone talking? Unless it is from Min Jeong?

As the pain intense, I gripped tightly onto the side of the bed and bit onto my lips to prevent myself from screaming.

“You can just scream, you know.” She said.

I glared at her. She gestured that she would zip . I hope she does it, literally.

“APPA!!!!” I heard Aeri cry out of a sudden.

The gynae looked shocked too.

“I’m sorry.” Doojoon said, carrying a crying Aeri into the room.

“Come here.” I said, my arms open wide.

“What’s wrong? Why is my princess crying?” I asked her as I wiped her tears.

“I want Appa.” She said, circling her arms around me tightly.

She must have know that her baby sibling is on the world. I have yet to find the chance to sit her down and talk her through this. I thought I still had time, but apparently not.

I was not in any position to say anything, so I just let her sit on my lap, hugging her close to me.

It took another hour or so before the already intense pain started to get worse. It was different this time.

“Ahh~” I groaned.

The gynae looked at me, and then checked on Min Jeong.  She nodded at me, indicating that this is it, the baby is on the way.

“Sweetheart, can I put you down for a minute?” I asked her.

Aeri shook her head, tightening her arms around my neck with more strength than before.

“Look, baby, why not you sit next to Jeongie unnie and give her support?” I tried.

She looked at me, and then nodded. I put her next to Min Jeong, letting her whisper her ‘little secrets’ to her while she danced the teddy bear on Min Jeong’s belly.

“Encourage her.” The gynae said.

“You can do this, my darling. You’re so damn strong. No one is match for you. Not even me.” I said, holding Min Jeong’s hand tightly.

“Do you want to come and see?” The gynae asked.

See? Really? I cannot even take a step. But the thought of being able to see the birth of our child, it was so tempting. With the help of the railings on the bed, I made my way over.

“It’s going really well.” The gynae said.

“Oh my god.” I almost cried, but held it in.

I could see our baby crowning. Nine months. This miracle baby is finally coming to us.

“She’s doing very well.” The gynae said.

“Ahhhh damnn~” I grunted, clutching onto my stomach.

The pain grew so intense I ended up squatting down as I watch our baby come into this world.

“Do you want to catch your baby?” The gynae asked.

I nodded, and she helped me up. She guided me as to where to put my hands, and just as when I thought I was going to pass out from the pain, our baby slide into my arms, crying loudly with all his might.

“Congratulations, you got yourself a son.” She smiled.

“Oh my god~” I let myself cry. I could not hold it back. He is in my arms now. Our baby. Min Jeong and mine baby.

“Oh my god, my baby.” I cried.

“You did well. You did really well.” The gynae said, squeezing my shoulder.

“Come, Seungho, we need to clean him and check on him. You ought to rest too.” She said as she tried to take my baby from me.

“No. Don’t take him away.” I said, not allowing her too.

“Seungho, please. I promise you, we are not going anywhere. We will just be here.” She said.

Doojoon came in, followed by Junhyung and Pandy.

“No, no, no.” I said, not allowing them near us.

I had no idea why I was behaving like that.

“Seungho hyung, your baby needs to get checked and cleaned up. Please. He must be really cold now.” Doojoon said.

“Seungho hyung, please.” Junhyung said.

I was a little disorientated and had no idea what I was doing. Eventually, I let them take our baby.

“Thank you.” Doojoon said.

I turned to Min Jeong who was still on the bed, looking like she was just asleep.

“Min Jeong ah, you did well. Thank you, Min Jeong ah~” I said, smoothing her hair.

“Why don’t you wake up, Min Jeong ah? Why don’t you wake up and look at our son? He is so cute, so strong, just like you. Wake up and look at him. Please. Wake up already.” I cried as I shook her.

“Hyung~” Junhyung called out, wanting to pull me away, but was stopped by Doojoon.

“Min Jeong, why aren’t you waking up? You don’t wish to see our son? Is it because of me? Is it because you don’t like me? That’s why you don’t want to see our baby? Is it me? I’m sorry, Min Jeong ah~ I’m very sorry. Please, stop doing this to me. Please wake up.” I knelt down next to her, crying.

I had no idea how long I did that for, but I knew I cried for a very, very long time. When I finally stopped, nothing had change. She is still in a coma, except that now, our baby is born.