Third Trimester - Family

What Is Pain?

"See you later, sweetheart." I waved to Aeri.

Just as I was about to turn and leave, she started running back.

"Forgot something?" I asked her.

She nodded.

"What is it? Should I go get it for you?" I asked her.

She tucked on my shirt, pulling me down to her level. She kissed me on my cheek and grinned.

"Goodbye kiss!" She said.

"Aigoo~ You sweet thing." I rubbed my nose against hers.

"It's ticklish!!" She giggled.

"Okay, okay. Go on!" I gestured her.

She nodded and ran to her friends. I made sure She was okay before turning to leave.

I got on a bus at the nearby bus stop and made my way to Junhyung's office.

On the way there, I could not help but touch my belly. I had long learnt to ignore the weird stares of the people around. No point getting affected by people who have no idea what is going on.

As the baby grows bigger in Min Jeong's belly, I could feel the heaviness and discomfort in mine. The only way to ease it is to rub it gently in circles.

I could eat a little now but the prolong starvation has caused me to entirely not feel hungry at all. I only eat now to because it was necessary. I can only hope for my appetite to return when the baby comes to the world, but then again, I think my appetite would only return when Min Jeong wakes up.

The doctors have no idea why she is still unconscious. It has been almost 8 months and to say that I am not on the verge of giving up hope would be a complete lie. At times I want to give up entirely and just hope that I could resign to the fact that she might never wake up again, but there is part of me that wants to hold onto the hope that she will wake up despite being called a fool by everyone else. Min Jeong is not giving up, how can I?

I jumped as I almost missed my stop. I got down in such a hurry, causing a sharp pain in back.

I held onto the lamppost as I bend over, trying to ease the pain.

"Are you okay!?" A voice asked.

I looked up to find Junhyung looking at me, worried.

"Why are you here? I am fine. Just a slight ache." I said, standing up straight.

"You looked like you were in a lot of pain." He said.

"I got off the bus too quickly, so my back kinda hurt a little. No worries." I smiled.

"Okay, that's good." He said.

"Why are you here? I was just on the way to your office." I said.

"I came out to buy breakfast for you. You have not eaten, right? By the way, drinking a cup of water while watching your girl eat does not mean eating." He said.

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes.

When we arrived, he handed his secretary her share before heading into his office.

"Aren't you afraid she might get the wrong idea?" I asked.

"Wrong idea about what?" He asked as he spread out the food he bought. Are we going to have a party or what?

"About you." I said.

"What about me?" He asked, handing me a sandwich.

"I don't know. She might... think you like her or something." I said.

"Even so, what's wrong? I am, after all, an attractive man." He smiled as he sat down, gesturing me to sit down too.

"Correction. You are an attractive, attached man." I said.

So I am attractive!" He exclaimed.

"I am being completely serious here." I said.

"So am I. Doojoon can have a crush but I cannot be nice to my subordinate?" He grinned.

"Doojoon has a crush!?" I asked.

"Aeri." He said.

I glared at him.

"Alright, alright. I'm just doing my part as a boss. My employee works hard for me, can't I even buy her breakfast? Besides, Doojoon knows about it, and she knows I wouldn't be interested in her. Although I am an attractive man, her heart is taken. I see my employee as a friend. Like you! I buy breakfast for you too. Is there something going on between us? If Doojoon were to worry, he should worry more about you. You, my friend, is an attractive man too. Very attractive in fact." He said, leaning across the table.

"Stop it" I pushed him away.

He laughed so hard he almost fell off the chair.

"You think it's funny?" I asked.

"Thank you, hyung ah~" He smiled sincerely.

"For what?" I asked.

"For being so concerned about us." He said.

"I just don't want any of you to get hurt, neither do I want any of you to make the same mistake I did." I said.

He shook his head and smiled, and then swiftly changed the topic to the breakfast he bought.

***

After working in his office for half the day, I was feeling stuffy and uncomfortable being cropped up in a cold, dark room all day. I wonder how he could take it. Maybe he is a vampire. He most probably might be, with his pale skin and red, extremely defined lip. I should be afraid, should I?

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded, forcing a smile.

"You are not okay. Do you want to go outside and take a walk or something? Or perhaps leave for the day?" He asked.

I shook my head. He was being the nicest boss anyone could ask for, and I was not going to take advantage of that.

"Should I open the window?" He asked.

"There's a window!?" I asked, surprised.

"Of course! What do you think I am? A vampire?" He smirked. Oh no, he can read minds too. He is definitely a vampire. I should get out of here, right?

He drew open the curtains behind him, letting the sunlight shine into the room. In an instance, night became day. I sank back into the seat, closed my eyes as I let the sunlight wash over me. After awhile, I could feel some warmth blanket over me as well as hear the wind howl gently, rustling the leaves on the tree as it blew across.

"Better?" Junhyung asked.

I nodded, eyes still closed.

"Why do you close all the curtains and work in such a dark place? Isn't this better?" I asked.

There was no response.

"Junhyung?" I asked as I opened my eyes.

His face was just inches away from mine. I screamed, but he covered my mouth in time to muffle the sound.

"You really want to know why?" He asked in a voice so soft I could feel shivers down my spine.

"If I tell you, you will have to die. Do you think it is worth it?" He asked, his hand caressing my arm gently. I should be pushing him away, but I was frozen in my seat.

"Y.. yah.. Yong Junhyung..." I could hear the tremble in my voice. He moved away, still smirking, and then out of a sudden, he burst into laughter.

"Yah! Hyung! How could you let the same person fool you twice in a day!?" He exclaimed.

A part of me was relived that he was fooling around, but another part of me was angry that he used me as a form of entertainment for himself.

I glared at him, not saying anything.

"Are you angry?" He asked, his lower lip stuck out.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"I am sorry." He apologized, head hung low.

"Do you do this to everyone? Take them for a fool, use them to entertain yourself? What are you trying to prove? That you are better than everyone?" I said mindlessly.

My words hurt him, and it was written all over his face as I spat it at him. Upon seeing his expression, I regretted, but I could never take those words back.

I gathered my stuff and left.

"Hyung!! Don't go! I am sorry!" He yelled, grabbing my arm.

I pulled my arm away from him, inflicting another emotional injury onto his fresh wounds.

"I am sorry, hyung." I heard him say softly as I walked out.

"Is everything okay?" His secretary asked, looking shocked.

"Take care of him." I muttered before I left the office.

***

I headed to the hospital to find Doojoon in Min Jeong's room. He was talking to her as he massaged her body and laughing all by himself. I stood outside, giving them some time to themselves.

When our eyes met, he looked surprised.

"Hey~" I greeted him as I walked in.

"Have you been here for long?" He asked.

I shook my head before heading over to kiss Min Jeong on her forehead and belly.

"How's work?" He asked.

"It's okay." I smiled.

"You can't lie to me. Something happened?" He asked.

Is he psychic? Or is he a vampire too?

"I can feel it." He said.

"Feel what?" I asked.

"Junhyung's sadness." He said.

I looked away.

"Junhyung came from a very loving and reputable family, but after they found out that he is gay, they shut him out, completely. It got even worse when they found out he was with me. To them, being gay is a choice and that it could be changed as and when you feel like it. He was locked up in a room and treated like a plague." He said.

Is this why he is so accustomed to the dark?

"Instead of throwing a tantrum or getting angry, he just got used to it. When I finally got him out of there, he was so sensitive to light that even a little would hurt him. Still, he wasn't angry with them. He still believes that one day they would accept him for who he is. It has been almost five years now, they never responded to any letter or gifts he sent to them, but he still does it anyway. That silly boy goes back home every parent's day as well as their birthdays only to get chased out by them." He said with a sad smile.

"Because he is so kind, he gets hurt easily. He doesn't know how to defend himself. Or perhaps, he rather take the pain that let others take it, because he knows very well how unbearable pain is." He continued.

"He may be playful at times, that's because although he may be a grown up, but really, he is just a boy. He doesn’t mean it. Junhyung is the most sincere person I've ever met. He will never want to hurt anyone deliberately. It is people who want to hurt him just because they can." He said.

I nodded.

"I was being too sensitive." I said.

"I understand." He said.

***

"Can Jeongie unnie eat ice cream?" Aeri asked as we were on the way back.

"She can't, sweetie." I said.

"How about baby?" She asked.

"Baby can't too." I said.

"Ouh... How about Aeri?" She asked.

So that was her real question.

I stopped walking and looked at her. She was grinning cheekily, her cheeks slightly pink.

"Who taught you how to beat about the bush?" I asked, pinching her nose gently.

"Aeri didn't beat the bush." She said.

"You!!" I was lost for words while she was a giggling  mess.

"How about no ice cream for Aeri?" I .

"But Appa!!!" She hugged my legs as she whined in the cutest voice she can.

I picked her up in my arms and headed towards the ice cream cafe.

"Which one do you want?" I asked, letting her take her pick.

She thought for a long time and finally settled with cotton candy flavour.

"So, how is school?" I asked her.

I listened attentively as she blabbered on from the walls in the classroom to the food she ate and the friends she played with. Aeri is a very detailed girl.

"And Appa?" She asked.

"What about Appa?" I asked her.

"What did you do today?" She asked.

"After sending you to school, I went to Junhyung sam-chon's office to work, and then in the afternoon I went to the hospital, and now I am here with you." I said.

"And?" She asked further.

"That's all, sweetie." I said.

She frowned and shook her head. Being a detailed girl, she would not accept vagueness for an answer.

"Well, I had a smal argument with Junhyung sam-chon, and then at the hospital I had a long talk with Doojoon sam-chon." I said.

She leaned in closer as she waited for me to fill her in with details, in which I did.

Despite loving to talk, Aeri can be an awesome listening ear too. I told her everything, from what happened to how sorry I was. She listened without saying a word. She was behaving exactly like Min Jeong.

"Appa's wrong, right?" I sighed.

She leaned over to kiss me on my cheek, and then crawled into my arms, settling herself comfortably on my lap.

"Appa, let's go!" She grinned.

"I buy you ice cream, and now I even have to carry you?" I said, but carrying her anyway.

"Next time Aeri will carry Appa!" She said.

"Why wait next time? Why not now?" I .

"Noooooo!" She tightened her arms around my neck.

"Appa loves you, you know that, right?" I asked.

She nodded, kissing me on my cheek.

“Give me a second, give me a second.” I said, taking out my phone.

‘Junhyung ah, I’m sorry for my behavior just now. I was being over sensitive. I’ll buy you ice cream to make it up, okay?’ I sent.

“Aeri wants ice cream too!” Aeri pouted.

“You just had ice cream!!!!” I exclaimed as I tickled her.

We were so noisy that passersby we staring at us. But I ignored it. Who are they to judge my bonding with my daughter?

***

"Don't cover my eyes! I can't see! Yah!!" I laughed as I tried to get her hands away from my eyes with one hand and hold her tightly with the other.

Once Aeri starts fooling around, there is no stopping.

I tickled her in hope she would let go but instead she sank her teeth into my shoulders, biting me.

"Ouchhhhh!! Baby vampire!!!" I whined.

Apparently the more pain I am in, the funnier is it to her. I ended up carrying her in bridal style, hugging her tightly against me so she would not be able to move, but that did not stop her from trying to bite me still.

"Jeongie unnie!!!" She screamed when we got into the room.

"What is it!?" I asked in surprised as she struggled to get off my arms.

She ran next to Min Jeong and pouted. With an accusing finger, she told on me to Min Jeong.

"Appa bullied me!! He bit me!!" She complained.

"What!?" I exclaimed. When did my girl become sly like that?

"Wah~ Yang Aeri, you..." I was lost for words.

She sighed and turned to me, still pouting.

"What's wrong?" I asked, kneeling down to her eye level.

"I thought she would wake up and defend me, but she didn't." She said.

"Aigoo~ My sweet, sweet girl." I hugged her tightly.

"You miss her too, don't you?" I asked.

She nodded furiously.

Pandy barked, not wanting to be left out too. I gestured him over, allowing him to jump onto my lap so we could all cuddle together.

That night, all of us slept in the same bed. She was asleep against Min Jeong's belly while Pandy sprawled out on my legs.

"Jeong ah~ Wake up so you could see this. It's our family. Isn't it beautiful?" I asked, smoothing her hair.

"Wake up already, hmm? Please." I said, sobbing into her shoulder.

I faintly felt a gentle touch on my finger. When I looked over, it was as if nothing had happened. Did I imagine it?

“Wake up, my darling. Please wake up. Seunghoie is tired. Seunghoie needs you very desperately. Our family needs you.” I whispered into her ear.

Min Jeong, do you hear me? You hear me, right?