Permission

What Is Pain?

Min Jeong’s POV

I had been discharged two weeks ago, but was requested to strictly rest at home. I was well enough. I knew my own body. I had rested enough. I never felt more energized. But Seungho was worried, as he always is. I did not want to add to his burdens. I could see his struggles, although he tried to keep them hidden.

“Let me pick her up. I promise you I would not drop dead on the way there or back.” I said, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

He was very tired. Heeri cried all night, keeping him awake.

“You need sleep, sweetheart.” I said, kissing him on his forehead.

He sighed, too tired to even argue with me.

“Just go and rest. Catch some sleep while Heeri is still knocked out. I will pick her up and we’ll come back. Okay?” I said.

He nodded, finally.

“I’ll see you in a bit. Lunch is already in the kitchen. Just heat it up when you wake up, alright?” I said.

“Okay.” He said softly.

“If I come back and see you awake, I expect to see you eating or eaten, do I make myself clear?” I asked.

He smiled weakly, avoiding my eyes.

I knew he had not been eating well since the day I slipped into a coma. When Heeri came along and my condition fluctuated, he almost gave up eating altogether.

Since I woke up, I had been observing him. He would take occasional nibbles on a slice of bread or an apple, but that would be all he eats for the entire day. Doojoon and Junhyung had realized it too and were worried for him. They did not want to stress him out further when I was still unconscious, but now that I am awake, they feel like it is appropriate to deal with his problem before it gets worse.

“Seungho, I am serious. I can do whatever you want me to do, but listen to me on this. You need to eat. It is okay if you eat slowly. I am not rushing you, in fact, no one is. I just want you healthy again.” I said.

“I have you back, that’s enough.” He hugged me, burying his face into my neck.

I could feel his ribs against my palms as I held him. That is how thin he has become.

“Sorry to burst your bubble, darling, but love would not keep you alive, literally.” I smiled, and he pouted.

“Go sleep. I’ll feed you when I come back if I have to.” I said, kissing him on his lips.

“Come back soon. Call me immediately if you don’t feel well, alright?” He said.

I rolled my eyes and slapped his , earning a slight jump and yelp from him as he headed into the room.

So here am I now, pacing up and down in front of Aeri’s school.

I had never been so nervous. Even during my first job interview, I felt calmer than I am now.

“Jeongie unnie?” I heard a familiar voice call out.

I turned behind to see our princess staring at me, confused.

“Hey princess, how was school?” I asked, squatting down, opening my arms to invite her into an embrace. She hugged me tightly and kissed me on my cheek.

“It was okay.” She said.

“Where’s Appa?” She asked, looking around.

“Appa is at home. Do you mind that I pick you up?” I asked, feeling worried.

She shook her head.

“I like that you pick me up. But, is Appa sick?” She asked.

“No, sweetheart. He is just tired, so I made him sleep.” I said.

“Okay.” She nodded.

“Is my princess hungry? How about some lunch?” I changed the topic.

Her eyes lit up at the mention of food.

“Can I eat anything!?” She asked excitedly.

“Hmmm~ I will choose lunch, and you choose dessert, will that do?” I a deal with her.

Seungho did not like her eating junk food, and by that, he meant everything that was not nutritious enough for his liking, and I respected him in that aspect.

“OKAY!” She gave me a high-five.

“Let’s go!” I winked at her, holding her hand.

I took her to a Korean restaurant. We shared a bowl of soup and a plate of meat. She was eating so well on her own. All the time that I missed out, it was impossible to get them all back.

“Jeongie unnie!” She called out, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yes, darling?” I smiled, blinking away the tears that unknowingly formed in my eyes.

“Don’t cwy~” She said, reaching out to touch my cheek.

I laughed at her mispronunciation. At least that was something that did not change in the last year.

“It’s cry, darling.” I said, tapping her button nose gently.

“Cwy~” She repeated.

“Come here.” I said.

She got off her seat and came over to my side. I carried her to sit on my lap, feeding her despite the fact she could eat perfectly fine on her own.

“I love you, you know that right?” I said.

She nodded, stuffing food into despite it being full already – a bad habit she learnt from Seungho. I am surprised they both have not choked yet.

“Eat slowly, hamster.” I said, poking her cheeks.

“Eat too.” She said, feeding me spoonful of rice.

“It’s not eating together if I am the only one eating.” She said.

I smiled at her and kissed her on her cheek.

“Alright, let’s eat together.” I said.

We fed enough other, and when we were done, we headed to a patbingsoo place for desert.

“I thought you’ll choose something like ice cream.” I said.

She shrugged her shoulders and sat down.

“What would you like?” I asked, handing her the menu.

I watched her study the menu like she was studying for an important exam.

“Can’t decide?” I asked after ten minutes.

“I want this, but this looks good too.” She pouted, pointing to both the mango patbingsoo and strawberry shortcake.

“Well, we can have both.” I said.

Her eyes lit up.

“But…” She bit her lower lip.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Can we buy the cake home instead?” She asked.

“Sure, but why not have it here?” I asked.

“Appa…” She said softly.

“You’re a gem.” I said, kissing her on her forehead before I proceeded to order the mango patbingsoo.

I watched her squeal every time she put the ice-cold sweetness in , I cannot help but laugh at her cuteness.

She looked up suddenly, putting the spoon down.

“Need something?” I asked as I wiped .

She shook her head.

“Done already?” I asked.

She shook her head again.

I frowned in confusion.

“You have something to tell me.” She said, it was more of a statement than a question.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat at her sudden words. How did she read my mind?

“I…” I stuttered, suddenly unable to phrase my words.

“Is what you’re going to say going to make you happy?” She asked.

“Definitely.” I said.

“Appa?” She asked.

“I don’t know. I should think so? It depends.” I said.

She looked down, biting her lower lip.

There was silence.

“Are you… leaving?” She asked, as soft as a whisper.

“What? No! Sweetheart, no!” I said, going over to her side, pulling her into a tight embrace.

“Why would I? Where would I go?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” She buried her face into my chest, the corner of my shirt with her small hand.

“I’m not leaving.” I said, cupping her cheeks, looking at her.

“I wanted to ask you… if you…” I felt nervous.

I in a deep breath and finished my sentence.

“I wanted to ask you for permission to marry your Appa.” I said.

Her eyes widened, her jaw dropped, forming a small ‘o’.

“Does that mean, you will become my umma?” She asked.

“If you wish to, definitely. If you do not wish for it, I am good for you to call me Jeongie.” I said.

She looked down, staring at her fingers.

I calmed myself while I waited for her to respond. My mouth felt dry and my palms were perspiring.

“So…?” I asked, feeling tensed.

She looked up, shooting me a glare.

***
I didn't mean that it was the end now!! I meant that it was soon....