The beginning of an ending

What Is Pain?

One year later

“Hi, sweetheart.” I kissed Min Jeong on her forehead.

“Hi, Umma~” I said in a whiney voice as I waved Heeri’s hand.

He was fast asleep, oblivious to the surroundings.

I looked around, expecting to see Aeri around me, but I did not. I walked out of the room to find her squatting on the floor just outside.

“Pumpkin, what are you doing?” I asked.

“What’s this?” She asked, pointing to the floor.

I took a closer look at it.

“It’s a crack.” I said.

“Why is there a crack?” She asked.

“I… I don’t know. Maybe it’s old?” I asked.

“Then do we all crack when we get old!?” She asked, shocked.

The nurses who walked by laughed. This place has practically become our home. Everyone here knows Aeri. Without them, I would not be able to take care of Aeri for the past year while battling with my own body as well as the new addition to our family.

“Sweetheart, you wouldn’t crack when you get old if you take good care of yourself.” Doojoon said, appearing from nowhere.

“Really?” Aeri asked.

“Yes.” He kissed her.

“Go in.” He said.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“No problem. Hi, little one.” He waved at Heeri who was obviously asleep.

“How do you feel?” He asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders. I had no idea.

It’s been a year since Min Jeong slipped into a coma, three months since Heeri is born. So many things have happened in between I had no idea how to feel.

“Everyday I am just waiting.” I said.

“One day, your prayers will be answered.” He said.

We went inside the room to find Aeri sitting next to Min Jeong, blabbering about her day in school. She had started pre-school recently. She only cried for the first day and then she completely got comfortable with school, which was a huge relief to me.

I sat down on the couch with Heeri in my arms. He stirred slightly, and then buried his face into my elbow, sleeping soundly.

“Your umma would bite you everyday.” I muttered to the bundle of cuteness in my arms.

I lost myself staring at Min Jeong and Aeri. Min Jeong just looked like she was asleep, except she has been asleep for a bit too long.

/Flashback/

When I opened my eyes again, I felt uneasy all over. There was a strange feeling in my stomach, but I could not quite make it out.

"He's awake." A voice said. Junhyung.

"Hyung, how are you feeling?" Kikwang asked.

I looked around. I was lying on the hospital bed. What happened?

"Min.. Jeong.." My voice cracked.

What happened just now, was it all a nightmare?

"Where.. is she?" I asked.

Junhyung and Kikwang looked at each other.

This is not happening.

"No..." I muttered.

"Hyung, we will tell you, but you got to stay calm. Can you promise me?" Kikwang said.

"How can I be calm? How do you expect me to be calm? I may not feel pain physically, but I am ing human too!!" I yelled, pushing him away in anger.

Junhyung caught Kikwang just in time before he crashes onto the floor.

"HEY! WE ARE ALL UPSET BUT THIS IS NOT THE WAY!" Junhyung yelled at me.

"Don't yell at him." Kikwang defended me, making me feel guilty that very instance.

I tried to get up, but my body protested. This is strange. I have never felt like this before.

"Don't move!" Junhyung grabbed my shoulders.

"Listen to me." His voice gentle, gaze softened.

"She didn't die. Except..." His voice trailed off.

"Except what? Tell me. I can take it." I said.

"She slipped into a coma." He said.

My heart sank. I in a deep breath.

"Where is she?" I asked, ready to get down.

"No. Wait. There's one more thing." He said.

"There's more?" I asked, crying.

"Min Jeong.. she.." He paused.

"What!? What!? What!?" I yelled.

"She is pregnant." He said.

My knees gave way and I collapsed onto the floor.

But if Junhyung did not use past tense, does that mean the baby is alive? Our baby is alive?

"I know it's a lot to take it." Junhyung said as he pulled me up.

"But let's be strong. Min Jeong is fighting. She is fighting not only for her own life but also for the little one. The little one that is precious to both you and her. The little one is strong too. So the father cannot fall." He hugged me.