What he did

What Is Pain?

Min Jeong's POV

"Yang Seungho, I am going to kill you." I muttered as I scroll through his text messages.

'I can't sleep. It's too dark in here.'

'I am thirsty.'

'It's so scary being here alone.'

'Help!! My foot got stuck!'

'Never mind. I got it out.'

'The nurses are laughing too loudly.'

'Is Aeri sleeping well? Do you think she misses me?'

'I can hear sounds coming from the ceiling. Is it going to collaspe? NOOOOOOO~!!!'

'Why is it not morning yet? My eyes are O.O~'

'I feel like I am talking to myself~ *.*'

'I can hear your snoring! :D'

'Just kidding! Don't ignore me!'

'Do you think they serve waffles for breakfast? I wish there were waffles.'

'Typing with one hand is tiring and dangerous.'

'MY NOSE!!!! THE PHONE DROPPED ON MY NOSE!! OH MY GOD! MY NOSE!!! :'('

'Should not have said anything about dangerous.'

'Thankfully it is real ^_^'

'I am talking about my nose :)'

'Real nose. REAL!'

'I want burger. Chicken burger!'

'Or maybe pork? Fish? Beef? They should have a burger that consists of all four types of meat!'

'It will be called... Chiorbeish burger! Sounds yummy already!'

'My arm is itchy. Can I remove the cast?'

'I am so tired. What time are you coming?'

'Why can't I fall asleep? Did they inject me with caffeine?'

'One Yang Seungho~ Two Yang Seungho~ Three Yang Seungho~ Four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten Yang Seungho. TEN LITTLE YANG SEUNGHO!'

I could not stop laughing at Seungho's silly texts. Although I was annoyed that he spent the entire night texting me nonsense, I would not deny that I found it cute too.

The last text message he sent to me was timed at 7.55AM. Was that poor thing awake all night? Was he unable to sleep because of the foreign surrounding? It is 8.30AM now. Did he manage to fall asleep already?

I turned to Aeri who was still asleep. I watch her rub her face into her soft toy, clutch tightly onto the blanket. Even her actions when she is asleep are cute.

"Ack~" She made a cute little sound as she woke up.

"Morning, sweetheart~" I smiled at her.

She smiled and shoved her soft toy into my face.

"Oh! Is that for me?" I asked, pretending to want to take it from her.

She giggled as she hugged her soft toy protectively.

"I want you instead!" I said, pulling her into my embrace.

"Cutie, shall we wash up, have breakfast, then go to your Appa?" I asked as we cuddled.

"Appa~" She said.

"Yes. Let's go!" I said.

I washed her and myself up, made us blueberry waffles and then headed out.

"Why do you hold your teddy by its leg? Look, teddy's head is being dragged on the floor." I said, pointing at the poor bear.

"Aww~ Teddy~" She said as she hugged the toy.

"Yes, sweet. That's the way." I ruffled her hair, earning giggles from her.

"Do you miss your Appa?" I asked as I drove us to the hospital.

She nodded with a slight pout.

"We will see him soon." I smiled at her.

When we finally arrived at the hospital, Aeri stopped out of a sudden as we were walking down the corridor leading to Seungho's ward.

"Oh no!" She exclaimed, looking at me with puppy eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked worriedly.

"I'm tired." She said.

"What!?" I asked, surprised.

She flashed her signature grin at me cheekily.

"Carry. Pwease?" She asked, leaning against me with arms outstretched.

This girl sure know how to work her way.

"You manipulative baby. So dangerous." I said, carrying her anyway.

She giggled at her victory.

"Just because you are cute." I said, smacking her lightly.

She struggled in my arms just as we were about to reach his room.

"What is it now?" I asked.

"Appa! Appa!" She pointed.

I let her down and she ran for the door, but she was too short for the handle. I laughed at her attempt to jump for it.

"This is what happens when you do not wait for the adult." I said, tapping her nose lightly before opening the door.

"Ap~!" I covered before she could yell some more.

"Shhhh~" I said, pointing at Seungho who was fast asleep.

"Opps~" She whispered, covering with both her palms.

I smiled at her as I ruffled her hair. I walked over to Seungho. His phone was face down next to his face. Did he fall asleep while waiting for my reply or did he fall asleep while trying to type another one of his ridiculous messages?

Apparently it was the latter because I saw his unfinished text when I took his phone to put it aside. He had typed some gibberish, perhaps in his tired state of mind.

I covered the blanket properly over him and was surprised to find Aeri on the bed, lying on her stomach, hugging her father's leg as she watched him quietly.

"How did you get up there on your own, little monkey?" I asked.

She sprawled out comfortably on her father's chest, smiling as she watched him sleep. She traced his features gently with her finger, giggling quietly when it tickled him. Should she be any older, one would have mistaken her as being in love with him romantically.

I sat down next to the two, smoothing Aeri's hair while watching Seungho sleep.

"Aeri ah, where is your Umma?" I asked as I played with her hair.

She turned to look at me.

"Where is your Umma?" I asked again.

"Appa~" She said.

"How about Umma?" I asked.

She frowned, looking confused.

Did Seungho never ever mention to her who her mother is?

"You're so cute, your Appa is so handsome, your Umma must be really pretty, am I right?" I asked, caressing her chubby cheeks.

"No. You are wrong." I jumped when Seungho spoke.

He opened his eyes and looked at me.

"I... I..." I stammered.

He tried to sit up, but had difficulties since he could only use one arm.

"Let me help you." I said.

Aeri crawled away, as though knowing her father wants to sit up. She sat comfortably on his lap after I helped him up.

"Her mother isn't pretty at all. In fact, they don't even deserve her." He said, wrapping his good arm around her stomach like a seatbelt.

"They?" I asked, confused.

"They don't deserve such a cute girl like her, but neither do I." He said, resting his cheek against the back of her head.

"I am just as heartless as they are." He mumbled.

"What... are you talking about?" I asked.

"Aeri is not my daughter." He confessed.

My jaw dropped. How did my simple question turned into a shocking confession?

“But… you… she…” I muttered.

He let out a sigh, and then looked away, but I briefly saw from the corner of his eye a teardrop.