Chapter Teaser

What Is Pain?

Seungho’s POV

“Seungho hyung~” Doojoon called out as he stepped out of the room, looking extremely exhausted.

I did not like the way he looked at me.

“Tell us, Doo. Tell us.” Junhyung beat me to it.

Instead of words coming out from his mouth, tears flowed from his eyes. Junhyung hurried to hug him.

I sank into the seat and buried my face into my palms. I felt a pair of warm palms touch my knees, but I did not look up.

“The good news is that she is still breathing. Just that… I… we… do not know for how much longer will she…” Doojoon said, but was unable to continue.

She was doing fine, but her condition took a turn for the worse out of a sudden when she developed a fever that refuse to go away since a few days ago. Her heart stopped for the third time this week, each time stopping longer than before.

I stepped into the room. It was so quiet that the beeping coming from the support machines were so loud that they were deafening. I sat down next to her, wrapping my warm palms around her cold hand.

“Hey, beautiful.” I said, smiling at her. I tucked a stray strand of her hair behind her ear.

She may have given birth, but my body could still feel hers. That means, whenever she is unwell, I will be the first to feel it, because I would feel the same. This is not couvade syndrome anymore. I believe this is what love is all about; when two souls bind to become one. And this time I could feel her tiredness. I could feel her losing the will to fight on.

“I know you are tired. I can feel it in my bones.” I said, swallowing hard so I could not cry.

“You’ve fought so long. You’ve been so brave. Do you know that? How brave you are? You brought our bundle of joy to this world despite being in this state. Mothers are the world’s strongest and bravest people, but Jeongie, you are another level higher.” I continued, squeezing her hand tightly.

I had a lot to tell her, but at that moment, I could only look at her. I cannot help but wonder how much longer do I have to look at this beautiful face? I do not know how long have passed. I finally stood up and picked up that lone guitar by the side.

Can you believe it that in my dreams you are a princess that's fallen inside magic spell. Even though my gestures towards you are always so difficult for me.’

I started singing. Min Jeong loved it when I sang.

‘However, it's always a promise that I'm going to save you again, no matter what. I put my two hands together and prayed, for endless courage and wisdom.’

But I always rejected her request to sing for her, because I thought I sounded like a crow. I still do think that way, but today, I just want to sing for her.

‘Past the magic castle and over the swamps, I see you far away inside darkness' cave. Now hold onto my hand. Can't you feel our bodies rising?’

Min Jeong always say ‘whatever words lack, music makes up for it’. And she is not wrong. Music is a universal language after all.

‘Even if we fly high up into the sky, freely, don't be scared. The world unraveling in front of us can be so special if we're together.’

I put the guitar down and closed my eyes, picturing her smiling and clapping her hands like a fan-girl.

“Darling, you’ve been strong. You’ve fought hard. I know you’re tired. I… I know. I…” I said.

I searched for her hand and held it closely to my chest.

“Don’t worry about anything, baby girl. I will bring the kids up. I will teach them to become fine adults. I will be there for them. I will play my part as well as yours. I wouldn’t deny that it will be tiring, but it’s okay. I will cope. I will do just fine.” I said, choking back on my tears.

“I am not trying to push you away or make you leave me. Nothing of this sort. But I feel your tiredness. I love you so much the last thing I want is for you to feel tired, to hurt, to feel uncomfortable.” I said, letting myself cry.

“If you must die, Sweetheart, die knowing your life was my life’s best part.” I said, after which, I collapsed onto her chest, bawling my eyes out.

I said it. I said those words I have been holding at my throat. I let her go.