Chance

What Is Pain?

Min Jeong's POV

"I don't like him, do I? He's just my profile." I said to myself.

Ever since that night, I found myself laughing when I picture him running back and forth cutely.

"HEY!" I jumped when I heard a loud slam on my table.

"DAMN YOU!" I kicked my friend who shocked me in this cruel way.

I glared at her while she laughed like it was no big deal.

"Do you know that people could die in this way!?" I said angrily.

"Aye~ You're Min Jeong. You don't die so easily." She winked at me as she plopped herself onto the cushioned seat next to me.

"Idiot!" I said, kicking her leg.

"Owww~" She whined, but smiled shortly after.

"So... What about him?" She asked.

"What him?" I asked.

"The cutie!" She exclaimed.

"Shhhh!" I frowned.

She covered , but I could tell she was still smiling.

I rolled my eyes at her.

"Min Jeong ah~" She grinned, leaning closer in to me.

"What?" I asked, backing away.

"Did you realize something?" She asked.

"Realized what?" I asked.

"YOU DIDN'T DENY WHEN I CALLED HIM CUTIE!!!" She yelled.

"What!?" My eyes widened. I could feel my cheeks heat up in embarrassment when everyone in the cafe started giggling at me.

"It's not like that. It's not like that." I said despite there I know there is no use at all.

"Kill me now~" I muttered, burying my face in my palms as I sank into the chair. I felt so embarrassed now I could die.

“Yes, he’s cute and all, but so? He has a kid!” I said.

“Are you judging him?” She asked.

“What? No! I mean, since he has a kid, I’m pretty sure he has someone already.” I said.

“How sure are you? Have you seen her?” She asked.

“No…” I muttered.

“Exactly.” She said.

“But to raise their daughter on his own, they must have a really strong relationship. Otherwise, why would a guy do this? He doesn’t even have enough to feed himself.” I said.

“There goes to show that he is an awesome guy!” She said excitedly.

“Awesome guys are either taken, gay or dead. And he happens to fall into the ‘taken’ category.” I smiled.

“I need to meet him before I can say more.” She said.

“Whatever. I can’t like him.” I said.

“Stop judging him because he has a daughter!” She said.

“I’m not judging him because he has a daughter! Damn it! I’m so in love with the fact he is so loving towards his daughter!” I raised my voice, feeling annoyed.

“Then what are you waiting for, darling?” She asked, poking my cheek.

“He’s my profile. I can’t fall in love with my profile.” I said.

“Then drop it. Drop the whole damn show. Don’t do it.” She said.

I looked at her in disbelief.

“You can easily write another show, but a chance like this is not easy to come by.” She said, sounding serious.

“I…” I had no idea how to respond.

“Think about it. Whatever your decision is, please know you I have your back.” She smiled before heading off to the counter to get drinks.

***
‘You can easily write another show, but a chance like this is not easy to come by.’; her words kept replaying in my head.

I stared at the pile of notes on my lap. I spent so much time doing all these research. I spent two years trying to prove that I am worthy of being given the chance to try my hands on producing. Am I going to give it all up now? Why can’t I have both my show and him? Why do I have to choose? Both are chances. Both are choices. Both are hard to come by.

I cannot be sure that my show will be a success. Neither can I be sure that him and me will one day become us. What if he already have a special someone? While I can always write another show, I can always wait for another chance to come by. Moreover, I have already waited all my life. If we are really fated to be with each other, nothing can stop us, am I right?

And so, I think I have made my choice.