First Trimester - Adapting

What Is Pain?

I stood outside the room, looking through the glass window at my darling who is lying in there all bandaged up. Beside the heart rate monitor that is monitoring her heart rate, there is another one.

"She is very strong, so is the baby." A voice behind me said.

I turned. Smiling weakly at me was the doctor from before.

"Hi. I'm Yoon Doojoon." He said, stretching out his hand to shake mine.

"Hi. Yang Seungho." I introduced myself.

"I'm sorry about just now. I lost it." I said.

"No worries. I get that a lot. At least you didn't punch me." He smiled.

"I'll punch him if he does." Another voice said. I looked behind Doojoon to find Junhyung walking towards us.

"Hi, baby." Doojoon smiled as he stretched out his arm, hanging it loosely around Junhyung's waist.

"What?" Junhyung asked, looking slightly pissed. I realized I had been staring.

"No. I'm sorry. I just... yea." I had nothing to say to defend myself.

"What are you? Homophobic?" Junhyung asked.

"More like scared of you. Don't be so fierce." Doojoon said.

"Trust me. If there were anyone to be afraid of here, it would be me. Not you guys. Why should we be afraid of true love?" I asked.

"And why should we be afraid of you?" Junhyung asked.

"Because I'm a freak." I smiled.

I turned back to look at my Min Jeong.

"I thought I asked you to get some rest?" I heard Junhyung said.

"How can I rest when she's here?" Doojoon said.

"You know her?" I asked them.

"Min Jeong was the one who got us together when we did not have the courage to." Doojoon said.

And then it suddenly struck me. He just operated on his own friend. It must have been devastating. And all I did was to blame him like it was his fault.

"I'm so, so, so sorry." I apologized.

Doojoon smiled. Like Junhyung, I don't know how they always manage to smile despite it was obvious they were breaking inside.

"When can I go in and see her?" I asked.

"You could, but just for a while. She's very vulnerable now, plus the baby too." He said.

I nodded. I put on whatever I have to and went inside.

"Hey, strong girl." I smiled as I sat down next to her, holding onto her hand.

"You take a break. You are tired. I know. But don't sleep for too long, do you understand? I'm lonely, so is Aeri. We want to have fun with you, and..." I caressed her belly gently.

"And you... my little one. Be strong. Appa is here waiting for you with your sister." I said.

"And Min Jeong... I'm sorry." I said.

I want to kiss her, but Doojoon said that I could not.

I hurried out before my tears fell. I did not want Min Jeong to even sense that I am crying.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be here to take care of her.” Doojoon said.

“Thank you. But you should rest too.” I said.

“Why not let’s all go back and rest, and then we’ll come back tomorrow?” Junhyung suggested.

Sometimes, we just need a person as calm as Junhyung around to call the shots when none of us could.

***
“Rest well.” Junhyung said, flashing a sleepy smile.

“You too. And, thank you.” I said.

“Stop saying that.” He said.

I smiled at him and took one last look at Doojoon who was fast asleep in the back seat.

“See you.” I said before closing the door and heading back.

When I opened the door, I was greeted by silence. I stood at the doorway with my eyes closed. I remember how Min Jeong would also hide at a corner with Aeri and try to scare me. Although I knew that they would do this all the time, I still pretend to get a scare. Min Jeong knows I am pretending, but Aeri, as innocent as she is, obviously still thinks I get scared.  How do I break the news to my precious girl after all that she has went through?

“Hyung, you’re back.” Kikwang said.

I had sent him home first to help me bring Aeri back home.

“Hey, Kiki, I am sorry about just now.” I said.

“No worries, hyung.” He smiled.

“Where’s Aeri?” I asked.

“In the room. Asleep.” He said.

“Why not you sleep over tonight? It’s already so late.” I said.

He thought for awhile, and then nodded.

“You can sleep on my bed. I’ll sleep with Aeri.” I said.

“No, no, no. I’ll sleep on the couch. I love the couch.” He jumped onto the couch like a puppy. And then I suddenly remember Pandy. I have to go get him tomorrow. Min Jeong would not be pleased to wake up to find Pandy malnourished

“I’ll get you a blanket.” I said as I strolled into the room.

After I made sure Kikwang was comfortable, I went to Aeri. I sat down beside her, watching her sleep.

“I love you.” I muttered.

She opened her eyes slowly and then stared blankly at me.

“Did I wake you up, sweetheart?” I asked.

She touched my face and smiled.

“Appa~” She said.

“Are you feeling okay?” I asked.

She nodded, hugging me around my neck.

“Where’s Jeongie?” She asked. I would have reprimanded her for not having manners on any other day, but today, I will just let it off.

“We’ll go see her tomorrow.” I said.

“Is she sick?” She pouted.

“A little sick.” I said.

“Will she be okay?” She asked.

“Of course.” I said. I could totally hear the uncertainty in my voice.

“Appa, I weally wouldn’t have to go with those scary people right?” She asked.

“Of course not. I’ll protect you with my life. I’ll keep you here forever.” I said, pulling her into my embrace.

“Appa’s chest is so warm!” She squealed, snuggling her face into my chest.

“Just like how Aeri’s hug is so comfortable.” I said.

***
I woke up to an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. I had no time to think what it was. My legs automatically sprinted to the toilet where I buried my head into the toilet bowl and vomited.

“Hyung!” Kikwang’s voice shocked me.

I raised my hand to indicate that I was okay.

“Why do you keep vomiting?” He asked when I was finally done.

“I don’t know.” I did not even dare to breathe hard in fear that I would vomit again.

“Are you sick?” He asked, feeling my forehead.

“I don’t feel too good.” I said as I forced myself to stand up.

“You what?” He asked.

“I said I don’t feel too good!” I got irritated.

“But hyung… You…” He muttered.

I looked at him, and then buried my face into the couch. I had no idea what was happening to me. I never felt like this all my life.

“You should see a doctor.” He said.

I shook my head.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry.” I said, lying face down on the couch. Apparently this made me feel much more comfortable.

“APPA!!!!” I chocked when I felt a sudden weight on my back. Aeri had jumped onto me.

“Aeri!” Kikwang shouted.

I frowned at him, warning him through my gaze not to breathe a word of me feeling unwell to her. Aeri has never had to deal with a dad who feels discomfort.

“Appa, are you okay?” She cupped my cheeks.

“Of course.” I forced a smile.

“You look different.” She said.

“How different?” I asked.

“Your face… it is white…” She said.

“Pale, you mean?” I laughed.

She nodded.

“That’s because I miss you.” I said, hugging her tightly.

She laughed and tried to struggle out of my arms but I did not let her.

“I’m hungwee!!” She whined.

“Kiki sam-cheon will cook for you!” I said.

“Weally!?” She asked, blinking her big eyes at him.

“Of course.” He melted, heading into the kitchen.

I played with Aeri while Kiki cooked.

“We’ll go get Pandy later, okay?” I said.

“Really!? Is he going to stay with us!?” She jumped excitedly on me.

I could feel all sorts of discomfort on my stomach but I held it in.

“Aeri ah! Don’t jump on your Appa please!” Kikwang yelled from the kitchen.

Aeri was too distracted to even get upset.

“REALLY!?” She asked, sticking her face very close to mine.

“Yes.” I took the chance to kiss her on her lips.

“YAY!” She cheered, punching me in my nose as a result.

I let her go all excited on her own. I unconsciously started touching my stomach. Caressing my stomach was abnormally comfortable. All the discomfort from before started to disappear slowly.

“Breakfast is ready!!” Kikwang yelled.

I carried Aeri to the dining table. The moment the smell of the food hit my nose, I had to drop her to rush to the toilet.

“Appa!!” Aeri shouted as she ran behind me.

I waved her to go away, but she obviously did not because I felt her pat my back.

“Hyung….” Kikwang looked at me sadly when I looked up.

“I’m just… I don’t know.” I muttered, rinsing my mouth.

“Appa, are you sick too?” Aeri asked.

“Maybe a little.” I smiled, ruffling her hair.

“Why?” She pouted, hugging me.

“Everyone falls sick from time to time.” I said as I settled her onto her seat.

“Should I cook you something else?” Kikwang asked when he spotted my disgusted look.

“No, no. I don’t have the appetite to stomach anything honestly. It’s really not you. It’s me.” I assured him.

I sat at the dining water sipping warm water despite the smell of the food messing with me. I did not want to make them feel bad. I started caressing my stomach again, and like magic, it felt better.

***
“Is she sleeping?” Aeri whispered to me as I put on the protective suit for her.

“Yes. So we have to be really quiet.” I said.

“Okay.” She whispered.

I laughed at her cuteness.

“Hey, baby. Look who came to see you.” I said, carrying Aeri up the chair.

Aeri leaned over to Min Jeong, staring at her.

“Aeri is here.” She said softly as she touched Min Jeong’s face gently.

I had to turn around, unable to look at the sight in case I cry.

“Will she wake up if I kiss her?” Aeri asked.

“You can’t kiss her now.” I said.

“Why? But I showered.” She pouted, sinking into the chair.

I carried her to sit on my lap.

“Min Jeong unnie is very weak now. When she’s stronger, you can kiss her, okay?” I said.

“Okay.” She pouted.

“Don’t pout. Remember what she always tell you?” I asked.

She nodded and smiled widely.

“There’s something I have to tell you, darling.” I said.

“What?” She asked.

“Inside Min Jeong unnie’s stomach, there’s a baby.” I said.

“Baby?” She asked, staring intensely at Min Jeong’s belly.

“Don’t do that.” I laughed.

“I can’t see the baby.” She said innocently.

“Of course you can’t. Not yet.” I laughed.

“Why is there a baby?” She asked.

I was taken aback by her question. Min Jeong would have a way to answer this.

“It’s Min Jeong unnie and Appa’s baby.” I said.

“How about Aeri?” She sounded so sad.

“Baby’s yours too. The baby is ours.” I said.

“When can I see baby?” She asked.

“When baby is fully grown.” I said.

She looked confused, but did not ask further.

“During this period of time, Aeri have to be a very good girl, can you promise me that?” I asked.

“But… Aeri is a good girl!” She protested.

I laughed and nodded. Of course she is.

Since we could not stay for long, we left the hospital.

“Can we come back again?” Aeri asked.

“Sure. Later on.” I said.

“Appa carry!” She raised her arms.

I did not know how to tell her I had no strength to even lift a bag. I could never say no to her.

“Just for awhile, okay?” I said as I picked her up.

“No! Forever!” She said, snuggling her face into my neck.

“Anything for you.” I kissed her cheek.

We went to Min Jeong's house to get Pandy as well as some of Min Jeong's stuff. I packed while Aeri and Pandy played.

Halfway through the packing, I started cold-sweating and feeling faint. I lied down on her bed and hugged her pillow, inhaling the sweet smell of her shampoo that lingered on it because the girl always goes to bed without drying her hair. I always scolded her for it, but now I am thankful for the comfort it brought me.

I opened my eyes when I felt someone touch my face.

"Hey~ Did Appa fall asleep?" I asked Aeri who was staring at me. She nodded.

"Sorry." I said, pushing myself up.

What is this strange uncomfortable feeling around my abdomen and back?

"Appa~" Aeri climbed onto the bed and lied down on my lap.

"Appa don't feel too well." I said, leaning against the headboard.

Pandy barked to get my attention. He was trying frantically to get onto the bed.

"Come here, buddy." I said, pulling him up and settling him on my lap next to Aeri.

"Appa, don't be sick." Aeri said, kissing me on my stomach.

Once I felt better, I gathered the necessary stuff and headed back home.

I let Aeri tired herself out while I rest. I felt like a lump of slush, every movement I made was tiring.