Interested

What Is Pain?

Seungho's POV

"SEUNGHO HYUNG!" Kikwang's loud voice startled me. He pushed me away from where I was standing, causing me to crash against the shelves of cups behind me.

"WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?" I shouted angrily at him.

His eyes widened in surprise for a split second, but he managed to cover it up. He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the sink, running my hand under cool water. My hand was red and swollen. When did I scald myself?

"Kiki..." I muttered as I watched him get the first aid box.

He gestured me to sit down.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you." I said awkwardly as he dapped cream on my hand.

"It's fine." He said softly.

"How is it fine!? Kiki is not smiling! Oh my god! Is the world coming to an end!?" I said in an exaggerated tone, causing laughter from him.

"Ahh hyung!" He pouted his thick lips, smacking me on my arm.

"Come on! Smile!" I poked him.

He tried to grab my hands but I was faster in grabbing his.

"I am smiling! I am smiling!" He laughed.

"Good." I said.

I looked at my bandaged hand, and then back at him.

“What?” He asked.

“I scalded my hand, not broke my hand.” I said, staring at the unnecessarily huge bandage.

“How am I going to work like that?” I asked.

“You don’t.” He smiled.

I frowned at him.

“Come on~” He said, pulling me to the kitchen.

“Kiki, you don’t own this café, you know that, right?” I asked.

“Yes.” He smiled as he forced me to sit down.

“Then you shouldn’t be acting like you do.” I said.

“Sit here and take a break, okay?” He ignored my question.

I sighed and buried my face into my palms. Perhaps I do need this break.

/FLASHBACK

"My name is Min Jeong." She said with her hand outstretched.

"Seungho." I said, taking her hand into mine, shaking lightly.

"Can we talk?" She asked.

"About?" I asked.

"You." She said.

"Me?" I asked.

"Yea. You." She said.

Why is she asking me this? Why would she show interest in a man like me?

I looked at her quizzically.

“What for?” I asked.

"I am actually trying to write a TV show on people like yourself working in places like this." She finally said.

I stared at her, and then turned to walk away.

“WAIT!!!” She yelled, running in front of me to block my way.

“No.” I said.

“Huh?” She looked at me.

“No, we cannot talk.” I said.

“Why?” She asked.

“Because I don’t feel like it. Because I hate people like you.” I said.

“What… did I do?” She asked.

“People like you have absolutely no respect for others. You want to do a show on people like me who work in places like these? What do you mean by people like me? What do you mean by places like this? Do you take me for a ing clown? Is this a ing zoo? Show some respect, at least.” I said to her.

“But… I never meant it that way. I’m sorry if my words offended you. I’m genuinely interested. I don’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable. Even if it wasn’t for my show, I would pretty much want to be friends with you.” She said.

“Why? Because you find it interesting to have a freak as a friend?” I asked.

She shook her head frantically, her eyes widened.

“Get out of my sight.” I glared at her.

“But I…” She bit her lower lip.

“LEAVE ME ALONE BEFORE I MAKE YOU!” I shouted.

“I… I’m sorry.” She bowed as she ran off.

/END OF FLASHBACK

Ever since I told her to get out of my sight, I could not stop thinking about her and feeling guilty that I told her off so harshly. What did she do to deserve my temper?

“Are you okay?” Kikwang asked as he came inside.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“The other part-timer is outside. No worries.” He said, sitting next to me, handing me a cup of mocha frappe.

“Thanks.” I smiled, sipping the icy drink.

“Is something wrong, hyung?” He asked.

I smiled and looked away.

“Tell me, hyung.” He said poking my arm.

“There’s this girl…” He interrupted me before I could finish.

“WHAT GIRL!?” He exclaimed, grinning.

“ert!” I smacked his head.

“Owww~!! Isn’t that a normal reaction when we talk about girls!?” He asked.

“No.” I said.

“Okay, okay, fine. Whatever.” He rolled his eyes.

“Only when talking about Aeri would I be like that.” I smiled as I thought about my baby girl.

“Fool~” He laughed.

“I admit I am.” I said.

“Alright, alright. So, tell me about this girl~” He said.

I told him the whole story, from the first time our eyes met up till today.

“Maybe… she never meant it that way.” He said.

“You think so?” I asked.

“You think a random stranger would genuinely be concerned? Really? People don’t care, Kiki ah~ I can be dying on the street but no one would care, unless, I am a prominent figure, and even if so, the only reason why they would bother is because they want something out of me.” I said.

He looked at me, his lips pouted.

“This is reality, Kiki. People are generally uninterested in anyone else but themselves until they want something from you.” I said.

“Not everyone is like this. I genuinely care for you and I never wanted anything from you.” He said.

“That’s because I have nothing to give.” I said.

“Exactly, but I am still sticking with you.

“Because you don’t have a choice.” I .

“That’s true.” He nodded.

“YAH!” I smacked his arm.

“But hyung, there are really people who genuinely cares and demands nothing in return. Just because you met people who are always trying to make use of you in some way or another does not mean this world is full of people like that. Perhaps… she’s the one who genuinely is concern.” He said.

I shook my head, not wanting to trust his words. The human race is ugly.