Loving

What Is Pain?

Seungho's POV

I started running in the direction where my home is. I usually take the public bus, but today I had no patience to wait for it to come, and taking a cab was not an option as I could not afford it.

I ran with all my might. One of the pros of not being to feel pain would be despite the fact I was tired from running, I could not feel any pain, therefore I could keep going.

"YAHHHHH!!! STOPPPPPP!!!!" I heard a voice yell. I was grabbed by my shoulder and spun around.

"Oh my.. god." Min Jeong panted, her cheeks flushed and she was perspiring a lot.

"Where the hell are you running to!?" She yelled.

"Home. I need to get home. My Aeri~ Aeri~" I started panicking.

"Home? You were trying to run home? Is your home near? I doubt. You were running forever." She said.

"I need to get home." I said, turning to run again.

She grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"STOP IT! I NEED TO GET HOME!" I lost my temper at her.

"I know. I'll get you home." She said calmly.

She flagged for a cab and not-so-gently shoved me in. Perhaps she was not that calm after all.

"Tell him your address." She said.

"Why?" I asked.

"You want to get home, don't you?" She asked.

The driver looked at me through the mirror. Was it safe to tell him my address? To be honest, this is my first time on a cab. I really have no idea how it works. Why do we need to expose our privacy to strangers?

"Hey!" She smacked my arm, shaking me out of my thoughts.

The driver was tapping his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel. I reluctantly told him my address.

I stared at Min Jeong as she expertly directed the driver which way to go. She must have taken the cab countless times to be speaking with such confidence.

"If you don't direct them, they'll take a longer route." She whispered when she caught me staring at her.

"Oh." I muttered, my eyes glancing somewhere else.

I gasped when I saw the meter fare. It did not feel like we have been in the cab for a long time and it is already 7900 won? That is like taking the bus seven times!

"What's wrong?" Min Jeong asked, looking at me worriedly.

"Noth... nothing~" I mumbled, looking away from the meter, but I could not help glancing over at it from time to time, and each time I would get a mini heart attack.

I could take the bus for a month at this rate. But for Aeri, it is okay.

When we finally arrived, I took a look at the fare and instantly regreted that I did. 23,000 won. I opened my wallet reluctantly. I had only 30,000 won inside and that was supposed to last me for a week. After paying for the fare, I would only have 7000 won left.

"Hey!" Min Jeong snapped her fingers in my face.

"Huh?" I looked at her.

"What are you waiting for? Go!" She opened the door and pushed me out.

"The.. the fare." I muttered as I fumbled with the wallet.

"I'll settle it..  Go, go, go!" She kicked my playfully.

"No! I'll pay!" I said.

"Aeri's waiting for you." She said.

Oh, right. Aeri.

I turned and ran in the direction where home is.

I banged on the door a few houses away from mine. The door opened, revealing a worried looking Ahjumma.

"Ahjumma! Where's Aeri!?" I asked worriedly.

"Calm down, Seungho." She said, leading me in.

Ahjumma had called me to tell me that Aeri was burning with a fever. Aeri hardly falls sick but whenever she does, it is serious.

"Aeri~" I tapped her cheek lightly.

She opened her eyes slowly, looking at me with a pout.

"Appa~" She called out, sounding as though she would cry, in which she did.

"Shhhh~ My darling~ Appa is sorry. Appa is sorry I let you fall sick. Sorry, my sweetheart~" I said as I rocked her gently in my arms.

"How long has it been?" I asked as I felt Aeri's forehead. She was burning up.

"Since this afternoon. I did not let you know because I thought I could bring the temperature down. I am sorry, Seungho ah~" Ahjumma apologized.

I shook my head.

"Please don't be. I am very thankful that you looked after Aeri. It is my fault she fell sick. I am not a good enough father." I said, looking at my weak baby girl.

"Seungho, you know it's not like that." Ahjumma said, squeezing my arm gently.

"I'll bring her back. Thank you for everything." I said, bowing slightly.

"Stay. I'll take care of her so you can rest." Ahjumma said.

"No. You've done enough. You need to rest." I smiled.

"Alright. Do send her to the hospital if her fever doesn't subside." She sighed.

"I will." I said.

"Aigoo~ This baby~" She said, touching Aeri's cheek lightly.

I headed back to my place with Aeri in my arms.

"We're almost home, baby." I said as I fumbled with my keys, trying to open the door.

"Let me help you." A voice behind said.

"You..." I stuttered when I saw Min Jeong. I had totally forgot about her.

She smiled and took the keys from me, opening the door on my behalf.

"Thanks." I mumbled as I headed in.

I went straight into the room to put Aeri down.

"What's wrong, baby?" I asked when she clutched tightly onto the neck of my shirt, not allowing me to put her down.

"No~" She whined.

"Appa will be back. I need to get stuff to cool you down." I said.

"Nooooo~" She started crying.

"Okay, okay~ Shhhh~" I held her back in my arms, hushing her.

She buried her face into my chest, her hands gripping tightly onto my shirt.

"What do I do?" I mumbled to myself as I looked around.

I turned to the door when I heard a knock. Min Jeong peeked her head in through the gap.

"Do you... need some help?" She asked.

As much as I wanted to say no~

"Please." I said instead.

She flashed a smile and let herself into the room.

"Is she running a fever?" She asked.

I nodded.

"Tell me where your stuff are and I'll get them for you." She said happily.

Is she always this happy?

Min Jeong's POV

I followed his instructions as to where the thermometer and icepack was.

"Here." I said, handing it to him.

"Thanks." He said, taking them from me.

I watch as he hushed the girl when he put the ice pack on her forehead.

"Maybe you want to try wrapping the ice pack with a towel so it would not be so unbearable." I suggested.

"Yea. Why didn't I think about that? Sorry, baby." He said, kissing her cheek. How loving~

"Where's the towel?" I asked.

"In the toilet." He said.

I ran to grab it for him.

"Better?" He asked her after putting the towel-wrapped ice pack on her forehead.

She chuckled when he touched his nose against hers. How cute~

I watch as he rocked her gently in his arms, humming softly as he coaxed her to sleep. I slipped out of the room to give them some privacy.

I should leave, but instead I found myself looking around his apartment. It was not huge with lots of furniture, but its simplicity gave off a cozy feeling. I sat down on the sofa and I pictured him playing around with his daughter here. It must be fun~

I also noticed he had many cardboard-made stuff; a playhouse, a kitchen, a toy shelf and a whole stack of cardboard at the side. Although it was very creative and nicely designed, I could not help but worry about what if a fire breaks out?

The walls were decorated with photos of the girl he calls Aeri as well as photos of them together, but there were no photos of his wife or girlfriend. It was just the both of them. How strange~

I opened my eyes when I felt a poke on my stomach. I gasped when I saw Aeri staring at me with her huge eyes. It was morning already. Did I fall asleep in a stranger’s house?!

“Hi~” I waved awkwardly.

She titled her head to the side, looking at me quizzically.

“Are you feeling better?” I asked, feeling her forehead.

“Who?” She asked.

“Who? You mean, who am I?” I asked.

She looked at me, waiting for my answer.

“I am Min Jeong.” I said, extending my hand.

She stared at my hand, and then back at me.

“When someone does this, you shake the person’s hand.” I said, taking her small hand into mine, demonstrating to her how to do a handshake.

She chuckled and started having fun with me doing handshakes.

“You enjoy it?” I asked, entertaining her.

How nice is it to have a cutie pie at home like that. After a long day at work, she would definitely be someone to look forward to go home to.

She must have gotten tired of the handshake game because she climbed onto my lap and made herself comfortable against my chest.

“Is your Appa asleep?” I asked.

She nodded.

“Where’s your Umma?” I asked.

She looked at me as though she did not recognize that word. Did she not have a mother?

“Your Appa loves you very much.” I said, smoothing her hair.

“Love Appa!” She grinned.

“That’s right. You got to love Appa~” I smiled.

I let her play with my fingers while I spaced out. I never knew it could be this peaceful. Having Aeri sit on my lap like that made me want to have my own child.

How gentle is the rain that falls softly on the meadow~ Birds high up in the trees serenade the clouds with their melody~ Oh~ See there beyond the hills, the bright colors of the rainbow~” I started singing.

Aeri looked surprised to hear me sing. She smiled when I poked her cute little nose.

Some magic from above made this day for us just to fall in love~ You hold me in your arms and say once again you love me and if your love is true, everything will be just as wonderful~” I continued to sing to her.

Now, I belong to you from this day until forever~ Just love me tenderly and I'll give to you every part of me~ Oh~ Don’t ever make me cry through long lonely nights without…” My singing was cut short when I heard the door slam open.

“AERI!!!” A loud, flustered voice called out. Seungho~

“BABY! WHERE ARE YOU!?” Seungho shouted again.

“Calm down! She’s here!” I replied him.

“Appa!” Aeri called out excitedly as she tried to get down from my lap.

I let her down, allowing her to run to her father.

“She…” I tried to explain but his glare cut my words short.

“Wh… what?” I asked, feeling scared.

“WHAT DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING BY JUST TAKING HER AWAY FROM ME LIKE THAT!?” He shouted into my face, hugging Aeri protectively.

“I… I did not.” I protested.

He was about to shout at me again when Aeri kissed him on his cheek, shutting him up. His expression instantly lit up as he smiled lovingly at his daughter who was grinning back at him.

I took the chance to grab my stuff and left the house quietly. It was a rude way to leave, but I doubt he wanted me there anyway.

I thought I would be angry at him for yelling at me without a valid reason, but strangely, I was not. I have to admit I felt a little upset, but I was no where near angry. What is happening to me?