All these time

What Is Pain?

Min Jeong's POV

I watch helplessly as Seungho cried on the floor. He has gone from kneeling to lying on the floor. I want to touch him, but I could not.

"I'm here, Seungho ah. What are you talking about me not wanting to see our son because I do not wish to see you? Don't say things like that please. You know it's not true. And why would I not want to see you? If I could only see one thing in the world, you know I'll choose to see you." I said, despite knowing he would have heard none of it.

My heart ached as I watched him go from wailing his lungs out to sobbing tiredly. His body shook with every breath he took. If I could exchange something to hold him right now, I would give up anything.

"Let him cry. He'll tired himself out eventually. It is not like he could sleep." I heard Doojoon say.

"You could see me!?" I exclaimed, looking up, just to realize he was not talking to me.

"You're the doctor. Whatever you say." Junhyung said and then walked out. Why is he so angry? What did you do again, Doojoon?

But they were the least of my concern now. I sat down next to Seungho and watch him cry. Seungho always asked me what pain was. I could never give him a definite answer. But I think now I know what exactly pain is. It is not the cut on your finger or the gash on your knee. It is watching the person you love so much suffer and yet all you could do is watch helplessly.

After awhile, he stopped. Whether he had passed out or fell asleep, I could not tell.

"I'm sorry, Seungho ah. I'm sorry for not being able to be here with you. I'm sorry." I said.

I planted a kiss on his cheek. Although I ended up kissing air, they always say love could be felt no matter what, right?

"Seungho sshi~" An unfamiliar voice distracted me after awhile.

"Oh my god!" She exclaimed when she saw Seungho passed out on the floor.

Doojoon came running in almost immediately. He shook Seungho to try wake him, but Seungho did not respond. He took his pulse, and then let out a sigh.

"He probably passed out due to exhaustation. Get the guys to get him on the bed. Give him a drip. He'll be fine, physically." Doojoon said.

He turned to me who was on the bed.

"You've done well. You let your baby grow nicely in your belly, gave birth to him, now all you have to do is just to wake up and nurse your big baby back to health." He said to me.

I know, Doojoon. I know.

They put Seungho in the room I was, where he usually slept. Or rather, lie. In times I was awake, I do not remember a time where I see him sleep or eat. He had become so thin it was painful to even look at him for long.

"Take care of him. I'll be back. I have another issue to take care of first. It's a matter of life and death." He said before heading out. What was he talking about?

I watch Seungho sleep. I wonder where Aeri is. I miss that girl. And Pandy too.

The door pushed opened, diverting my attention.

"Hi Min Jeong sshi~ Look who I brought to see you." The nurse said as she pushed in a cart. My baby. Our baby. Our son.

"Min Jeong sshi, you got to wake up soon. It wouldn't be long before this sleeping angel turns into a little monster, wrecking your lives upside down. But despite that, you will still love him so much. You and Seungho sshi will make great parents. So please wake up soon and enjoy the moment. I'll leave your son here for awhile. Please look after him." She said before heading out.

I stared at our boy who was sleeping soundly.

"You grew well in my belly, you must grow well even outside now, okay? Don't give your Appa a hard time, love your Noona and be a very good boy, alright?" I said to him.

I tried to touch his cheek, and surprisingly, I could.

"Oh my god." I said, caressing his cheek. The feeling was unexplainable. I did not even know I was crying and my tears had dripped all over his cheek.

He opened his eyes and looked straight at me.

"You could see me?" I asked him.

He stared at me, and then let out a small, cute yawn.

"Oh my~" I squealed, planting a kiss on his forehead.

"Grow up with your Appa's heart and personality, okay? Alright, maybe not personality. He has a good heart for sure but he lets people push him around too much. Grow up with his kind heart, good personality, but be stronger of course, and not to forget, his handsome face." I said.

I tried to carry him, but I realize I could not. But I guess being able to touch him is already a gift.

My little one started whining and crying out of a sudden.

"What's wrong, my love? Shhh~ Appa is sleeping. Don't wake him up. He's very tired." I said, patting his chest, trying to quiet him down.

It was as if he could hear and understand me, his cries turned into soft sobs, and then he fell back into sleep.

"Good boy." I said as I continued to pat him.

The door opened, revealing a confused looking nurse.

"I'm sure I heard him cry." I heard her say to herself.

"Soon there will be rumors that this room is haunted." I laughed to myself.

I sat back and watch the two babies sleep, if Aeri and Pandy were both here, the picture would be complete.

***
I woke up three months into the coma, and have been going in and out of my deep slumber. The shortest I have stayed conscious was a day, and the longest was a month. Each time I lose conscious; I would wake up to an entirely new situation. It was very confusing at first, but I started to get used to it.

So here is what I know, I got hit by a vehicle when I fought with that bastard, I am pregnant, I slipped into a coma, my poor Seungho has couvade syndrome and lastly I went into labor a week early and have already given birth to our son.

I was already pregnant at that time. I honestly did not know, but I felt something different and was planning to go check it out. The baby survived the hit. I do not know how, but he is our miracle baby, I guess.

When I first woke up, I could pretty much say I was awoken by Seungho's crying. It was dark. The only light on was the sidelight. He was sitting down next to me, crying into my shoulder.

"What is wrong?" I asked him, but he did not reply.

Am I dead? Why is he crying so badly? And why can't he hear me?

"Seungho ah~" I tried again.

"Min Jeong ah, I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He cried.

"What's wrong, Seungho? Why aren't you responding to me?" I asked.

"Seungho!" I yelled when he ran off suddenly. He rushed into the toilet, puking his guts out.

He was weaker than he already was after vomiting. Every step he took to get back to the seat seem so painful for him.

"Seungho, can't you see me? I am here!" I said, trying to touch him, just to realize that I could not.

I could not understand what was happening. I was not dead, but neither am I really alive.

I watch as he slump onto the couch. With his eyes closed, he was still sobbing. I sat next to him for the entire night, talking to him although I knew very well he could not hear me.

***
The next time I woke up, two months had passed. I was in a different room, and my belly had obviously grown bigger with the growth of our baby. Seungho, on the other hand looked much more tired than before. He was caressing my belly robotically.

"Jeongie unnie~" A soft whisper close to my ear startled me. I turned to find Aeri lying next to me.

She was throwing her teddy bear up and down while she talked about her day. When did that girl start talking so well? I shifted myself to face her. I tried to touch her face, but could not.

"Aeri ah~" I called out.

She turned her head. I got excited for a moment, thinking she probably could hear me. But once again, I was wrong. She turned because she wanted to whisper something to me.

"Unnie...." She called out, sounding extremely shy out of a sudden.

She snuggled her face into my neck and giggled.

"What's wrong with you?" Seungho asked, laughing.

Aeri shook her head with her face still buried in my neck.

"Is it something you cannot tell me?" Seungho asked.

Aeri hid her head under my blanket.

"Ahh~ My girl is growing up. She is hiding stuff from me." Seungho sighed.

"Nooooooo!!!" Aeri whined.

She jumped off the chair and ran to Seungho, burying her face into his stomach.

"I'm just teasing you." Seungho laughed as he played with her hair.

She let out a shriek when he suddenly balanced her on his legs, raising her up into the air.

"Again!!" She laughed. This girl sure has no fear, but you will tired your Appa out, Aeri ah~

"Appa is tired." Seungho said, carrying the girl to sit on his lap.

Pandy barked and rested his chin on Seungho's lap. Pandy has grown so big he looks totally different from before.

"Pandy ah~" I called out.

He looked around, seemingly able to hear me.

"Pandy?" I tried again.

He barked and sniffed around.

"What is it?" Seungho asked, trying to calm him down, but he kept on barking.

"What's wrong?" Seungho asked again. Aeri was petting his head, trying to calm him down too.

"Calm down, boy." I said.

He let out a soft whimper and retreated to the corner.

Seungh went over with Aeri.

"What's wrong?" Seungho asked, holding Pandy in his arms.

"Don't cry, good boy." I said.

"Shhh~ It's okay." Seungho hushed him.

Looking at them so upset, I felt so guilty and angry with myself. I am here, I am good, but how can I make that known to them so they can have a peace of mind?

***
"Min Jeong ah~ When are you going to wake up? It's been really long. Aren't you embarrased? How can you sleep so long?" I opened my eyes to Doojoon, playing with my hair and staring into space as he spoke.

He sighed and rested his head against the rail of the bed with his eyes closed. He looked so tired.

"Doodoo~" I called out, my hand wanting to caress his face, but all I could touch was air.

"A lot of things are happening, Min Jeong ah~ Junhyung just called and said the carnival owner has been let out on bail. How is this even possible? After all the things he has done. How is this even fair? And Seungho is struggling. Everything came crashing down on him so suddenly. The ability to feel pain, couvade syndrome, the baby, you in a coma, it's like all sorts of pain, emotional and physical, crashing down on him at once. He doesn't know how to deal with it. He needs you. You were always his pillar of strength." He said.

"But I know you're tired. I really know." He continued, resting his palm on my head, smoothing my hair absentmindedly.

It did not take long for him to fall asleep. He was mumbling stuff I could not make out. Even asleep, he was not at peace. It was a sign of how tired he is.

It was quiet as I watched him sleep until a click from the door interrupted. I look as the door opened really slowly, as if whomever it was opening the door did not want anyone to know what he or she was doing.

I gasped when I saw who walked in; the carnival owner.

"Doojoon! Yoon Doojoon!" I shouted despite knowing he would not hear me.

I tried to shake him but all I managed to grab was air.

"Look who we got here." He smirked as he neared us.

"Yah! Doojoon ah! It's not the time to sleep now!" I yelled.

"Please. Just once. Let me feel him or something!" I said to myself.

I felt my heart beating hard against my chest as the carnival owner stood over us.

"Don't you dare touch him!" I yelled.

I stood between him and Doojoon but there was of course no effect.

"You weren't supposed to die. But since you are here, we have no choice but to sacrifice you as well." He said as he drew out a pocket knife.

"No, no, no!" I started to panic.

"Yoon Doojoon!!" I yelled as loud as I could and kicked the chair he was sitting on with all my might.

"!" I cursed when I felt the impact on my feet.

Wait. Impact? I could feel?!

"Oh my god!" I almost cried when I saw Doojoon jump up.

"What is it!?" He yelled in his half asleep state.

The carnival owner looked so shock at Doojoon's sudden movement. It would have been very laughable if the situation now was not so serious.

Taking advantage of Doojoon's confusion, the carnival owner swiftly pulled out a pocket knife and pointed it at Doojoon's throat.

The room was dead silent. The only sound came from the beeping of the heart rate machine attached to me and my baby. It was beating wildly, exactly like how I was feeling.

I saw Doojoon clench his jaws, his eyes wide as he tried to process what was happening.

"What do you want?" He managed to ask.

"All of you dead." The carnival owner smirked as he poked the tip of the knife at Doojoon's throat.

"No!" I shouted.

Doojoon turned his head to my side, causing the knife to cut his neck, drawing a faint line of blood.

For a split moment, I thought he heard me, again. But no. What he heard was my heart rate machine going crazy.

"Min Jeong.." I heard him mumble.

He seem to have forgot that he has a knife pointing at his throat as he made his way over to me, doing what he has to do as a doctor.

Before I could even react, I watch as the carnival owner pulled him away from me, throwing him against the wall like a rag doll.

"Doo!!!!" I yelled, tears welling up in my eyes.

I tried to grab the carnival owner but all I managed to grab was air. It was so frustrating but there was nothing I could do about it.

"You're so, so, so rude." The carnival owner said.

"I don't usually give my respect to people who don't deserve it." Doojoon said as he tried to help himself up, but was knocked down by the carnival owner again.

I cried and yelled, feeling like an useless piece of as I watch the carnival owner abuse Doojoon.

“Useless!” He said as he gave Doojoon a final kick.

“Doo!! Doo!!” I yelled as I tried to shake him, but it was obviously not working how I hoped it would be.

Out of a sudden, I felt myself choking. I turned to find the carnival owner hovering over me, wrapping his thick palms around my throat.

“You’re the root of all the problems. You should die!” He said as he squeezed harder.

I tried to make my way towards him, but I could not. The baby in my belly was gasping for air too. I hugged my rounded belly, trying to calm the baby down, but to no avail.

“Once you’re dead, everything will be okay. It’s all your fault. You caused this.” The carnival owner said as he choked me further.

Maybe he is right. I am the cause of all the problems. If I never wanted to continue with the stupid show, I would not have found out more. If I did not find out more about them, I will have done all those damn things. I thought I was doing the right thing, but in the process, I hurt the man I love the most, and put him in such unnecessary danger. Now, I cannot even protect him, because I am lying here like a useless piece of . It is all my fault. I did this to him, I did this to us. Maybe the carnival owner is right, maybe I should really die.

I stopped struggling. I closed my eyes, my hand caressing my belly.

‘Baby, we will go somewhere else and I will take good care of you, okay?’

A loud sound interrupted the moment, and suddenly I could breathe all over again. The first breath of air filled my lungs so suddenly that it felt like a slap in my face.

What did you just do, Min Jeong!? Did you really let him talk you into letting him kill you!? Together with your baby?

I collected myself quick enough to see Seungho wrestling with the carnival owner.

“You idiot! You never change! You ing never change!!” Seungho yelled as he punched the carnival owner.

It was all good until the baby’s heart rate monitor beeped crazily.

“Calm down, baby. It’s not time now.” I in deep breaths as I tried to calm both myself and our baby down.

The crazy beeping distracted Seungho. I briefly saw his scared face. He was not scared for himself. He was scared for our baby. He was worried.

“SEUNGHO!!!” I screamed as I watch the carnival owner knock him over before strangling him the way he did with me.

I tried to push something over, but all I felt was air, air and more air.

“Appa!!!” Aeri screamed.

Seungho’s face was paler than he already was when he heard her.

I turned to the door to find Aeri looking worriedly inside. Seungho had already grabbed onto the carnival owner’s legs, not letting him near the door. He was kicked so many times, but he did not back away.

“Aeri!! GO AWAY! RUN!!! AERI!!!” I yelled, hoping she would hear me.

The carnival owner smirked, and then reached into his pocket.

“No. No. NO!!” I yelled. He was going to stab Seungho, and I was not going to let it happen. I have no idea how am I going to do it, but I cannot let it happen.

It was so frustrating that I was acting on my own. I was looking at everything unfold before my very eyes, but there was nothing I could do to stop it.

I squeezed my eyes shut and held onto my breath as I put myself between the knife and Seungho, hoping very much that it would stab me.

“Stab me. Stab me. Let it be me. Please. Just stab me.” I repeated like it was a prayer.

It was then I felt an external force push me. I groaned in pain as I hit the wall. I had no strength to get up anymore, but through blurry eyes, I saw Doojoon on top of Seungho, and then he got pushed away. Seungho continued to get beaten up, but he was not backing down. The carnival owner said something I could not make out, but I sure could hear his creepy laughter.

I was losing conscious. I fought with myself to stay awake. If I let myself pass out, I do not know when would I be awake again.

“Keep him away!!” I heard Doojoon yelled as he staggered towards me.

“Stay strong, stay strong. Min Jeong ah, please stay strong.” Doojoon repeated as he checked on me.

“Doodoo~” I cried. I want to touch his face, wipe off the blood, but I could not. I want to hold him steady, but I could not.

“For yourself, the baby, Aeri, Seungho, please, please, please.” He pleaded.

I could not tell if he was crying or was it his perspiration. He was so beaten up, but he kept his professionalism.

I faintly heard loud barking, followed by the deafening scream coming from the carnival owner. There was a lot of people in the room out of a sudden. Seungho had Aeri in his arms. He was kneeling next to me, holding onto my hand. He was as beaten up as Doojoon, but his grip on my hand never loosen.

I could not hold on any longer. I closed my eyes, and I was back into darkness.