This is my job

What Is Pain?

Seungho's POV

I sighed as I washed my palm under running water. I looked down when I felt a tug on my sweatpants.

"Aeri ah, why are you pouting?" I asked, ruffling her hair.

She said nothing except puff her cheeks.

"Appa is fine. See, blood is gone." I said, showing her my palm.

She smiled slightly and hugged my leg. I wrapped a towel over my palm before carrying her up.

"Go play while I go make your pancakes." I said, kissing her on her cheek before letting her down.

The pancakes were done in about twenty minutes and she ran over to me as soon as I called her.

"Aigoo~ Don't run. The pancakes will always be here." I said as I carried her up onto the chair.

"Eat up." I said, handing her a fork.

I had cut up the pancakes so it would be easy for her to feed herself. For a two and a half year old, I consider my Aeri capable for being able to feed herself cleanly.

I ate my bread as I watch her dip the pancakes into maple syrup and then smile to herself as the sweetness filled .

"Is it good?" I asked, wiping the corner of .

"Appa, eat!" She said, putting a piece of pancake at my mouth.

"Ahh no~ Aeri, eat. Appa is happy with bread." I took a big bite of bread.

She pouted and forced the slice of pancake into my mouth.

"Thanks." I smiled.

She clapped her hands and continued feeding herself. Aeri ah, although Appa may not be as capable as other fathers out there, I will try my best to give you the best, even if it means I have to sacrifice myself. For you, I will do anything.

***
"Be good, Aeri ah. Appa will come back later, okay?" I said as I kissed her on her forehead.

She looked away with pouted lips. She does this to me everyday when I bring her to the ahjumma's house. The ahjumma is my landlady and she is being kind enough to offer to help me look after Aeri while I go to work.

"Aeri ah~" I tapped her cheek lightly.

I sighed as she pushed my hand away and stomped off.

"She'll be fine later." Ahjumma smiled at me.

"I know. But it's just, I feel so bad." I said, looking at Aeri who had her back facing me, playing alone at the corner.

"Seungho, don't say that. I have never met anyone as hardworking and as loving as you. You are the best father anyone could ask for." She said.

"You know I am not." I replied.

She sighed and changed the subject.

"You hurt yourself again?" She asked, pulling my palm towards her.

"Ahh no~ It's nothing." I said quickly, pulling my hand back.

"It looks bad." She said.

"I'll do something about it. No worries." I assured her.

I had almost forgotten about the cut on my palm if not for Ahjumma who reminded me.

"Go to a doctor." She said.

I nodded, but of course I would not. I rather save up that money and buy Aeri more pancakes.

I glanced at the time as I quickly bandaged up my hand. I was going to be late and my boss would not be pleased.

"Sorry!" I apologized as I arrived.

He showed his displeasure obviously.

"I'm sorry." I bowed, apologizing again.

"Get out of my sight! Go get ready!" He waved me off.

"Yes, Sir." I said as I hurried out to prepare.

I work as his 'exhibit'. He opens something like a carnival and one of the most popular games in there is the 'punching bag'. People could pay a certain amount of money to vent their anger on this 'punching bag'. And of course, I was the 'punching bag'. I was being marketed as the man with a high tolerance of pain, and people pay to challenge me. The thing about humans is that when they feel that they have the upper hand, they become really evil.

He knew about my condition, therefore he took advantage of it and tempted me with money to make me work for him. I may not be able to feel the physical pain, but emotionally, it hurts, a lot.

I did not have to prepare much for the job. All I had to do was to lay out the 'torture tools', take off my shirt and stand still to wait for people to come 'torture' me. As sick as it sounds, this is my job.

Min Jeong's POV

I checked the address I written in my book with the place I am in now. I was here. I did not lose my way like I thought I would.

"Welcome!" The man standing at the enterance saidI nodded with a smile and headed inside.

I had heard that this carnival had many popular but weird games. I am planning to pitch a program whereby we would uncover the secrets and hardships behind the people working as mascots, entertainers and more in places such as these perculiar carnivals and circuses.

I thought it would be interesting because we never knew about their lives; All the people with weird ability, or are clowns really evil? I want to uncover them all. If I succeed, this would be my first solo project.

Many warned me that my topic was too heavy and dangerous to be doing alone, but I wanted it. I have always been curious about their world. It is like how we are always curious to know if Hogwarts really exist, I am curious to know the truth of such unusual carnivals and circuses.

I walked around the carnival, nothing much has attracted my attention yet, but I do notice that it feels a little creepier than usual, unlike your usual fun and joyous family carnival.

I was walking around the carnival, jotting down notes on the way when my eyes caught sight of a huge crowd in the middle. I made my way over but the crowd was too large for me to see what was going on in front.

"What's going on?" I asked one of the man beside me.

"This man claims to have a high tolerance of pain." He said.

"What man?" I asked, trying hard to see.

"Here." He said, making way for me to be able to see.

I gasped when I saw a boy swing the baseball bat onto the topless guy's torso. The crowd cheered when the topless guy did not even flinch.

"Everyone is trying to challenge him. I mean, no matter how high tolerance of pain you have, you are bound to feel it somehow. We just want to see how far he can go." The man next to me said.

"Oh." I muttered.

I could not take my eyes off that topless guy. His body had bruises and cuts all over despite the fact he did not even flinch when the people did all sorts of torturous things to him.

Just as I was about to turn away, our eyes met and for some strange reason, I felt like he was pleading me for help.

***
5sl.gifSeungho looking at Aeri play in the corner, ignoring him.