Remember.

Ambivalence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First of all, let me just tell you I'm sorry how i hadn't updated since forever. (read a/n below for the explanation)

It was sungyeol's 4th birthday. If it was any other rich child, they'd have expected another grand party where just about everyone who is everyone are there. But no, sungyeol was sungyeol.

Sungyeol only wished for his parents to be there for once. Sure, they'd send him gifts, and his little brother and big sister are with him, but why do they only not go when it was sungyeol's birthday?

Did he do something wrong? His grandmother had always told him that they were making lots of money for his future big, big birthdays. But sungyeol always wondered—because despite being four he understood a lot—why they go home when it was his siblings' birthday? Are they not planning a big big birthday for them?

So when he heard his mother and father were in town, and that they were of reach, he wanted answers.

Sungyeol remembers his father's furious face when he barged in the room full of adults, asking if he could talk to his 'appa'. The co-workers, thinking of how adorable sungyeol was, patted him on the head before excusing themselves for a break. He cutely strides to his father, not noticing his red face.

"Appa, are you planning a big birthday for sungyeol in the future?" He had asked, smile on his face.

Before his father could respond though, his mother came barging in, hearing the news about sungyeol.

"What do you think you're doing child?!" His mother had yelled.

Sungyeol blinks in confusion.

"Who do you think you are embarrassing me in fron of many people?!" His father yelled. "And what?! A grand birthday for you?! You could afford that yourself with all the money my father had left you! You should be gratefull we still give you gifts!"

Sungyeol can't understand. Afford? What was that? And why was his father and mother looking at him like that? Why is his mother trying to calm his father down by putting his raised hand down? Was he going to be hit? Is he a bad child?

Before any of it could go further, her sister barged inside and looked at him, her face contorting into worry.

"Are you okay?" She asks, wiping sungyeol's cheeks. When had he started to cry?

"Sarang" their mother called, oh how sungyeol wishes his mom would call him like that.

"Don't you have classes, honey?" She walks toward them and brushes Sarang's hair. Sungyeol looks expectantly at his mother but gained nothing but a cold eye.

Guess no kisses and hugs from his parents on his birthday like the ones he sees on tv's.

"What did you do to him?" Sarang ignored her question.

"We didn't do anything" his mother sighed.

"You know, for a parent... You guys are...." Sarang sighed before bowing, taking sungyeol in his arms and going out of the room. Sungyeol doesn't remember if he cried but his sister brushed his hair and lulled him saying things like 'don't cry' and 'it's your birthday today.'

Sungyeol was 6 years old when he learns why his parents treated him that way when he was 4. Why he hasn’t seen them smile at him, maybe he had, he doesn’t remember.

Sungyeol was 6 when he questioned why his grandfather gave him everythi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter