To your limit

My Dream in Korea

You were standing next to Jaehyo, Victoria, Hyunsik and Minah. Mrs Shin was looking at some papers in front of her and seemed happy as usually, but thoughtful at the same time.

  You had received your test last Friday and you still hadn’t recovered from the shock of failure. Surprisingly, these persons that were standing now next to you, had failed, too. And you considered them all good students in Literature. At least, you weren’t the only one who had failed.

   Mrs Shin had called you, this Monday afternoon, to chat about the fact that you failed.

  You weren’t feeling good at all. You hadn’t even told your parents. Neither EXO. And especially Kai. You were both embarrassed and afraid of their reactions. And all these that you had said to Kai back then, that it will be his fault if you fail, because he was destructing you… It now seemed a lame excuse for your own, stupid mistakes. Kai had tried hard, after all, to help you out with everything. Even though each and one lesson with him included an outrageous or destructing incident.

   You suddenly wondered you weird your life had become after coming in Korea.

   Well, a lot. You were hanging out with 12 boys. Who happen to be trainees in SM Entertainment, Korea’s biggest music company, to debut soon. You were dating one of them. You were staying with them more than you did with your parents. You were taking care of a baby that you didn’t even know its parents. You had failed in a formal test for the first time in your life. And every now and then you were helping the ajusshi living next to your house with his garden, because you had- some day- invaded in his own house.

  Everything sounded pretty normal in your mind, because you had lived and were still living most of these, but you were sure that if you were narrating any of these to any friend of yours back in your country they would have burst into laughter, sure that you were really good in telling fake stories.  

  But everything was actually true.

  You puffed loudly, causing Mrs Shin and all of your classmates to look at you weirdly. You blushed and took your serious expression again. Your heart was beating loudly, waiting for something bad by Mrs Shin.

  She never was bad. But this moment you were just afraid of her. And a potential punishment, most of all.

  But was Mrs Shin really the type of teacher that would be preparing a detention or something?

   «Well, my poor children… Could any of you explain what really happened with this test?» she asked kindly, not lifting her head from her papers.

  You looked at Jaehyo who was standing next to you and he dimly smiled. No one actually talked.

  «Children? No one is talking? Alright, then…» she kept doing her work with the papers.

  You leaned on Jaehyo and he patted your shoulder. You thought that you were all afraid of detention for failing in such an important test. And that was a kind of protective pillow for you. At least you weren’t alone, you were thinking all the time.

  Mrs Shin finally got up and stood in front of all of you. She folded her arms on her chest and looked at you all with her usual smile.

 «Kids, this test was a very crucial one for your mark in the last semester and no one of you five did well. Starting from Rina and Victoria, who had- let’s say- the highest among you five, to end with Hyunsik who had the lowest of all. What am I supposed to do now, huh?» she suddenly turned to all of you.

  You gasped with that question but didn’t know what to say.

  «If you want to tell us that we’re getting detention and a bad mark, say it clearly. I think we are all prepared for it.» Victoria said too weirdly calmly.

 «Do you really think that this is my point, Victoria?» Mrs Shin asked again, but Victoria didn’t answer.

   An awkward silence followed again.

 «Kids, you have to get that I’m with you. I want to help you. Always. I realise that you’re not here to become doctors, teachers or anything familiar. You’re here to become artists. Any kind of artists. But since you need these marks to finish this school, you have to get good ones to succeed in your target. I’m afraid that you will have to…»

  You held your breath and felt the others doing the same.

 «… You will have to offer to me some of your free time, right?» she smiled and you all looked at each other.

«Our free time?» Jaehyo raised an eyebrow funnily.

 «Ne, that’s right. We will be staying extra hours in school, for me to tutor you better and more personally. Then, you will sit for the test one more time, before the final exams. What do you think of this?»

  You looked at her as if she was a saint person walking on earth.

  That was a good chance. An amazing chance! Nothing was over yet!

  «Gamsahamnida, Mrs.» you bowed first with great passion.

  Your classmates followed you and she patted your heads one by one.

  «No thanking me. You will have to work hard, even more now, to succeed. So, please, make me proud of my choice to give you another chance.»

 «We will! We will, Mrs. Shin!» you all said in chorus and smiled at her gratefully.

 «OK, now, we start from today, so people, take your seats, please.»

  You sat happily next to Jaehyo, feeling relieved from the extra weight of failure.

  Everything could be better from now on~

  --

 

 

 

 

  You closed yours and Jaehyo’s book and yawned. It’d been two extra hours with Mrs. Shin. Too tiring for your already tired brain, but extremely educating, too. These lessons will be daebak for fixing your mark in Literature.

  Jaehyo patted your head and got up quickly.

  «I have to catch up with my fellows, for a dance practice… See you tomorrow, Rina…» he smiled and left, almost running.

 You waved happily at him and got up, too.

  Unconsciously, you looked at Victoria.

  After exploding to you, saying all these bad things and acting hysterically, she had been extremely quiet. She wouldn’t even look at you. Instead she seemed too calm. Frighteningly calm. That cold that had been torturing her the previous days seemed to have vanished, until she sneezed three times in a row.

  She obviously hadn’t recovered fully.

    You packed your things slowly, being thoughtful at the same time.

   You didn’t really hate Victoria. She might have made you suffer many times in the past, but you didn’t hate her for sure. You just didn’t like her.  But up to this.

   She got up, holding her bag clumsily and- as she tripped on her chair- the bag slipped and dropped on the floor, the things rolling out f it. You hurried to help her and bent next to her, starting collecting the things.

 «I didn’t ask for your help.» she said, not shouting at all, but bitterly.

 «It doesn’t matter…» you said with a steady voice and put back in the back her lipstick and her wallet.

 «I said, I didn’t ask for it!» she said, a little louder this time, causing you to look at her.

 «Girls, don’t fight please… Rina wanted to help you, Victoria.» Mrs. Shin said happily, as she was getting out of the class.

  You looked at Victoria again and bent for one more time, collecting her stuff. She pulled your hand and looked at you with unexplainable eyes.

  Her lips were curved inside- wards.

  «Don’t be good to me. You have no reason to be good to me.» she said firmly.

 «Don’t act like this Victoria… I just wanted to help you…» you said, closing the zipper of her bag and offered it to her.

 «Why do you act so good to me?» she asked, her voice a little husky.

 «There’s no particular reason. I want to always be kind.» you moved your shoulders.  «And- anyways- I know you’re a little sick. I had to help you.»

  She looked at the floor and played with her hair.

 «Generally, you don’t look very well lately. Did that… did that thing with Kai cost you that much?» you dared to ask.
  Her eyes became small again and her lips curved even more.

 «Why do you even care about that? Leave me alone! Just enjoy your relationship with Kai, arasso?» she shouted a little and turned to leave.

  Did that thing with Kai hurt her that much? The night of the ball was a pretty embarrassing one, mostly for Victoria.

  Suddenly, you felt sympathy for her.

  «I don’t want anyone to be sad, when I’m happy. And I’m happy with Kai. But you wouldn’t be. You would love him, but he wouldn’t. You would be even sadder than now.» you said, your voice as gentle as possible.

  She turned and looked at you.

 «Shut up.» she said through gritted teeth.

 «I’m not saying these things to hurt you! I’m saying these things to help you! Why don’t you look at Sehun? He’d die for just one look of yours! He likes you for a really long time now. And even though his friends don’t like you at all. And you know how much friends’ opinions matter to a boy. Think of it… Sehun and you? Wouldn’t be that fun and happy?» you kept on talking, approaching her.

 «SHUT UP!!» she yelled and ran out of the class.

   You puffed and returned to your stuff.

   Victoria wasn’t dangerous anymore, probably. She was sad. She was sad with the whole thing with Kai. And you respected that fact. She might have liked him more than you had thought at first.

  But if she reacted only like this when you told her these things, even though she was hurt, then… Then she had calmed down for sure.

  You got out of class last of all and closed the door behind you. You headed for the school’s caretaker’s office and told him that the class is now empty and can be locked.

   You casually looked at the watch on the wall and gasped.

  7p.m.

  «!» you yelled and Mr. Park looked at you strictly. «I’m sorry, Park-nim…» you blushed and started running.

  «The boys will kill me…» you thought and sped up your running.

  However, at the entrance of your school, someone blocked your route and held your arm. Your heart skipped a few beats and for a few seconds you thought of many bad things. But when you turned, you simply faced Joonho and sighed with a little relief and little surprise.

  «Joonho op…» you were about to say, when he pulled you in his arms and hugged you.

  «O- oppa… What is going on? What are you doing here?» you murmured, patting his back.

 «I was so worried over you! You didn’t appear or contact me for two weeks now! God, I’m so happy you’re fine!» he murmured in your ear.

  He was so worried…? For you?

  «Woah, that’s impressive…» you thought.

 «Oppa, I’m just fine. Crazy things have happened in the EXO dorm and they just needed my help…» you chuckled and patted his head, as you separated.

 «And you didn’t think of contacting your oppa? He was so worried for his little dongsaeng!» he said with a whiny tone and pinched your cheeks.

 «Aww, Joonho oppa… You shouldn’t! I’m perfect as you can see. Just a little tired with the new things that had been added in my everyday program…» you smiled kindly and he rubbed his head awkwardly. «You waited for me here?» you asked and he nodded. «Omo… How long?»

 «Since 4p.m. I thought you were leaving from school then… But I didn’t see you, so I waited more. I remembered the name of your school… «Bae Arts». It’s well known in Seoul.» he blushed.

 You felt your heart melting. Joonho had always been amazingly good and caring  to you.

  «Joonho oppa… You did these for me? That’s unbelievable… Thank you so much for caring for me…» you smiled kindly and hugged him back.

  «Of course I care for you…» he said in a low voice, patting your head.

   Suddenly, you felt uncomfortable with that hug and left his arms.

  «I got to go now, oppa. EXO boys need me. I’ll explain you, as soon as I’m coming to the gym again. Don’t worry for me, please.» you said as cutely as you could and turned to leave.

  «I’ll you. I’m not working today, anyway.» he said and grabbed your arm.

  «No, you waited already a lot for me. There’s no need to do this now…»

  «Please, let me do it. It will be pleasant talking to you again, after such a long time.» he smiled again and you nodded.

  Joonho was just so- so kind. A really good friend.

  «And now, will you tell me what happened within these days that I wasn’t seeing you?»

--

 

 

 

 

 «Ugh… Where’s Rina? Haru has been crying the whole afternoon!» Suho whined, holding in his arms the little baby girl and trying to calm her down.

 «Have you done all these that were on Rina’s list?» Lay scratched his head.

«WE DID!» Kai yelled, causing Haru to scream more. «Aw, no, I’m sorry, Haru…» he closed his mouth with his hands and then caressed her head.

  Baekhyun just got in from outside, along with Xiumin.

 «Hey, hey, why is the baby screaming?» Xiumin closed his ears.

  They were all free for today, since many days of unstoppable practice had already passed and they were obviously extremely tired.

 «You better ask her!» Suho yelled with irony.

 «She has been crying the whole afternoon!» Sehun whined and rolled on the sofa.

 «Aww, my dear Haru, what is wrong?» Baekhyun bent over her and touched gently her nose.

«You take her, Baekhyun. I am holding her and trying to comfort her for a half an hour now!» Suho tried to pass her to Baekhyun, but he stepped back.

 «I have to wash my hands! And tidy up the cupboard with the new stuff we bought. Wait a few more minutes or pass her to Kai… Sehun… Lay. I don’t know, whoever you want.»

 Suho puffed and looked at the others. They moved their hands and heads negatively.

  «Ugh… They were holding her all the time ago!» he whined. «Xiumin hyung…?»

 «Aniyo! I have to remove the clothes from the washing machine, something you didn’t do THE WHOLE DAY!» Xiumin put his tongue out and disappeared in the bathroom.

 «That’s it, Chanyeol is taking her! Where’s he?» Suho said with a determined tone and looked around him.

  Kai headed upstairs and immediately opened the door of Baekhyun’s and Chanyeol’s room. He found Chanyeol with his mobile in his hands, looking at it and outside the window. He puffed sadly, but Kai tried to clean his throat and Chanyeol turned surprised at him.

  «Ah, you’re here..? Sorry, I didn’t notice you.» he got up from his (and Haru’s actually) bed, rubbing his head awkwardly.

  «No, it’s fine… Are you OK, Chanyeol?»

  «Eh? Ah, ne… I’m fine. Do you need my help for something?»

  «Actually Suho hyung does. He wants you to hold Haru, until Baekhyun can take over the situation…» Kai rolled his eyes.

 «Ah, arasso. I’m going…» he passed next to Kai quickly.

 «I’m warning you. Suho is out of mind and Haru hasn’t stopped crying.» Kai laughed.

 «I could hear her… Poor baby.» Chanyeol frowned and made his steps quicker.

  Kai sighed.

  All these were tiring him. More than the practicing.

  When Haru was calm everything was fine. But when she was crying and screaming, her tension would pass to the boys too and everything would become ty.

   Beyond this, they hadn’t got any kind of information about her. They still knew nothing.

  However, every night, they were so exhausted and sleepy and every morning so tensed and busy, that they didn’t have the time to think what was happening next. Since they were surviving through the whole day, it was enough for them.

  Kai sighed one more time. He casually looked out of the window and saw something that made his heart hurt and pinch him.

 

  

 

 

   Chanyeol got downstairs quickly enough, so as Suho wouldn’t explode.

  «Here you are!» Suho exclaimed and passed the still crying Haru to Chanyeol, who embraced her carefully.

  «Easy, Suho, easy!» he looked at the leader of EXO K strictly and then looked at Haru. «Don’t cry little one… Chanyeol is here…» he said with his gentle, heavy voice.

  Then, all of a sudden, Haru stopped crying.

  All the present boys turned and looked at Chanyeol and Haru, a smile of surprise and relief curving their lips.

 «That’s magic!» D.O laid next to Sehun on the sofa and closed his eyes.

 «Ah, yes… Daebak!» Suho jumped among them, hugging a cushion.

 «Have you fed her, guys?» Chanyeol asked, still looking at the little baby.

 «Ne, but she must be hungry again. It’s been a considerable amount of time since she last ate…» Lay said.

 «Do we have milk, really?» Luhan popped out of the room with the wardrobes.

   The rest of the boys looked at each other with question marks in their eyes.

«Do you want me to go and buy some?» Luhan rolled his eyes and was about to wear his jacket.

 «Ani! We just bought some!» Xiumin came out of the kitchen, moving the can with the milk powder.

 «OK… Prepare a bottle please…» Chanyeol was saying, when a Kai rushed  downstairs and headed for the front door, opening it abruptly.

   You were standing in front of it, exactly before pushing the doorbell.

  «Oh, hi oppa!» you smiled and hugged him, but didn’t receive a hug back.

  You felt weird but moved on.

  «Hi guys!» you waved at all of your friends and they waved happily back.

 «I saw with whom you came. Is he so bold to even you to your boyfriend’s house?» Kai’s voice sounded cold as ice.

  You felt your cheeks burning from your anger.  Turning 18o degrees, you faced Kai immediately.

 «Joonho just brought me here. He’s a kind friend. Nothing more. When are you finally going to get that I’m your girlfriend and you’re my boyfriend and that’s all that matters to me??» you yelled, causing Baekhyun to come out of the kitchen.

«Rina? When did you come? Why are you shouting?» he scratched his head and you smiled, heading for his hug.

«Kai is being jealous all the time. He simply doesn’t trust me.» you said coldly and got in the kitchen with him.

 Kai rubbed his hair intensely with his hands and felt his cheeks burning again.

   «It’s really bad not to trust her.» Tao said in a low voice.

  «But she was absent the whole afternoon. While we leave from school at 4 or 5 p.m. And I saw that guy leaving her outside our house. What should I think?» Kai answered in a low voice too, but which was betraying that he was upset and a little angry.

 «Ask her, before you try to scold her.» Luhan moved his shoulders and headed for the kitchen, too.

  «You really make things seem so difficult.» Chanyeol added and followed Luhan.

  Kai puffed again and sat next to D.O. The rest of them the TV and brought a bag of potato chips, starting eating greedily.

 

 

 

 

  «Could you please prepare her milk?» Chanyeol asked kindly.

  «Ne, of course.» Baekhyun nodded and opened the can that Xiumin had previously shown to the others.

  «Aw, my baby Haru… I didn’t say «hi» to you…» you murmured and caressed her head.

  «You know she’s been a whiny girl?» Luhan joked.

 «Chinja?» you put your hands on your waist funnily.

 «Ah, ne, she was crying the whole afternoon! Only Chanyeol managed to calm her down…» Luhan pointed at Chanyeol and you rubbed his head intensely.

 «Good job, Chanyeol- nim! I’m proud of you!» you smiled, causing Chanyeol to smile widely, too.

 «We don’t deserve a similar caress, since we endured the whole situation?» Luhan put his tongue out and you looked at him, puffing to hold in your laughter.

 «As you wish!» you laughed and rubbed his head, too.

  «OK, Haru’s milk is ready.» Baekhyun moved the baby bottle intensely to mix the liquid well.

«Kaja. Let’s go back to the living room.» Luhan passed his arm around your shoulders and you all returned to the living room.

  You sat next to Sehun, Luhan fighting with Baekhyun to sit next to you, Chanyeol with the power of Haru winning in the end.

  You didn’t even look at Kai, but he was staring at you the whole time.

  «Ask her…» D.O whispered, nudging Kai with his elbow.

   Kai rolled his eyes, but opened his mouth.

 «Rina… Please tell me why you were so late coming here, if you weren’t with this guy…» he murmured, scratching his head awkwardly.

  You looked at him, but then returned your look at the baby Haru, who you were holding now, feeding her with her bottle.

 «I had to stay in school extra hours.» you simply said and went on with your job.

 «Ah… Why is that?» he asked with hesitance, making it obvious, however, that he wasn’t convinced.

 «Because I had to.»

 «That’s not a proper answer, though.»

  You felt your anger boiling again.

 «Because I practiced a little of my vocal skills with Mrs. Shin.»

  That wasn’t a total lie, after all.

  «But you have never done this before.» Kai went on with this annoying game of Q&A.

 «I now did.»

 «I’m not convinced. Tell me what really happened.» he looked at you with pleading eyes.

 «Aigoo, you are so annoying when you do this!» you puffed loudly.

 «I just wanna know why you were with this guy!»

 «Ah, that’s it! I wanted to protect you from learning this, but you are acting like an idiot, so I can’t do anything else but telling you!» you shouted.

 «W-what?» Kai mumbled.

 «I failed at the Literature test, OK? I failed! I just didn’t want to tell you, because I knew you would get sad and even blame yourself for my stupid mistakes! And I know how tired in both mind and body you are these days, I didn’t want to tire you more with this! Today, Mrs. Shin called all of us who failed (Jaehyo, Minah, Victoria, Hyunsik and me, so as you’re not asking me again) to tell us what we are doing to fix this. So, she announced that we will stay for more hours at school, so she can tutor as more and more personally and we’re sitting for test again before the final exam arrives. Joonho was waiting for outside school, because all these days I was here with you and Haru and didn’t appear at the gym at all, neither texted him. So, he was worried for me and came to the school to find out if I’m OK and then insisted to me up to here, so as I’m not going on my own. IS THAT CLEAR TO YOU NOW???» you yelled again, not even taking a breath in between.

   Kai had remained with his mouth half- opened. So did the rest of the EXO.

  «That’s too much, Kai. Learn how to trust people.» Baekhyun broke the awkward silence that had followed your words.

  Kai bent his head and felt stupider than ever.

 «I- I’m sorry…» he said simply and didn’t dare to look at you. «I’m really sorry. I swear I won’t do this again! I really swear!» he moved his hands and you looked at him, with a look of forgiveness.

  You thought that everyone was too tensed these days. It was kind of sensible to have these problems and all this tension.

 «I accept your apology and remember that I will bear in mind this promise of yours, huh?» you said, calmer than before, and tried to smile.

   Kai moved his head, still without looking at you, and the others hit him on the back, trying to comfort him.

    Thankfully, an extremely awkward moment had passed successfully.

    «Pew~ I think Haru needs a new diaper!» Sehun clenched his nose with his fingers.

  «Yeah, she does. Go and change it!» you offered Haru to him, but he moved his hands with panic.

 «Aniyo! Are you crazy? She’s a woman! I can’t change a woman’s diaper!» he exclaimed, causing everybody to laugh.

 «OK, I’ll do that, too, since I’m so restful today….!» you gasped with irony and got up abruptly.

  «I’ll come with you.» Baekhyun got up to follow you.

  «Guys… That’s enough. I thought of it a lot… After Rina is changing the diaper, we’re taking Haru to the police station. I thought of it… It’s difficult for all of us, but it’s tiring for her, too. She doesn’t have the comforts that such a little baby should have…» Suho got up and looked at all of your company.

   His sad tone made your heart hurt.

  «Suho… Are you sure about this?» Xiumin asked.

  «Ne, I think it’s better for all of us.» he moved his head.

  «How long could we preserve this situation, anyway? Will we be able take care of her when we will have debuted? Rina won’t be able to do that forever too.» Sehun moved his head.

 «But I… I’ll miss her.» Lay whispered.

 «Within two weeks… How can we have loved a tiny, not talking thing?» Chen smiled sadly.

 «I don’t really know…» Xiumin smiled, too. «Anyway, Suho is right. We better do it now, that we are not that attached to her, yet. Later, it would be much more painful for all of us.»

 «Who’s going then?» you asked with a shaky voice.

  You didn’t like that choice at all, but you had agreed that it was the right one. And since no one had looked for Haru up to now, there was no point keeping her more. Things would turn rougher if you were doing so.

  «Let’s go all of us… We could explain the policemen how it happened and then ask him if we will be able to see her, until someone appears to get her.» Luhan got up, this time wearing his jacket.

 «Ne, that’s a good idea.» Suho nodded quickly and wore his jacket.

  «I don’t know if this is right…» Baekhyun said seriously, looking for his own one.

 «I don’t want to leave her…» Chanyeol looked at her in your hug and frowned sadly.

 «Let’s just not rethink of it. It will be even worse for us, really.» Luhan assured Chanyeol and Baekhyun and opened the door.

   You hurried upstairs, along with Baekhyun, to change Haru’s diaper and- afterwards- you covered her with a warm blanket; it was still pretty cold outside.

  Your eyes were filled with tears, as you hugged Haru tightly, getting out of the house for the last time with her.

  «Can I hold her this time?» Luhan smiled as much as he could and you offered her to him, showing how to hold her.

   You felt your tears burning your cheeks. Haru had tortured you these last two weeks, but- somehow- you had all loved her.

  You noticed Kai next to you, his hand on your shoulder. He opened his hug and you buried yourself in it, the darkness and the cold of the night, making the whole moment even more depressing than it would have been.

  «It’s OK… We will get over it… Don’t worry, please…» he tried to comfort you and kissed your forehead.

  «Does anyone remember the way to the police station?» Suho asked and Sehun lifted his hand, moving in front of everyone else.

  «This is so hard… To say «good bye» to our little princess…» Chanyeol said and rubbed his eyes, to hide the fact that they were blur.

   

   You were about to start walking, when a female voice was heard from behind.

 

  «Chanyeol! Chanyeol! Where do you think you are going?»

 

  You all turned and saw in front of you a girl, gasping for air, as if she had been running previously. Chanyeol let out a weird sound from his mouth and approached her slowly.

 

  «S-Seulki?» he mumbled.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  From misschoi: Hi guys! ^^ Hope you liked today's update!~ Thank you for your support, comments and subscriptions! Thank you a lot- lot- lot! And don't forget that your ideas and suggestions are always wlecomed! Take care 'til next time!! ^^