Life Changes

My Dream in Korea

    August wasn't very hot only in your country, in Southern Europe; it was extremelly hot in Korea, too. You couldn't stand any place that there was no air-conditioning, without looking like you've just come out from a sauna. Thankfully, in your new house, it was pleasantly cold, having two air-conditions in there.

    You had moved in before one week. The truth is that it was ahuge change for your life; Southern Europe- Korea, well, these are not very similar places; so different people and so different customs. However, in a way, you had been preparing for that all of your up-to-now life; your dad was an important  manager in a korean company, back to your country and there was always a chance of your family moving in Korea. You had a tutor for the language since you were 8 years old and -on your own- you had decided that you love K-pop and korean dramas, which were actually helping you with the language and with the idea of speaking formally/informally.

     Your parents announced to you the news on May, the day of your sixteenth birthday and the last day of school, with great hesitance. They were pretty shocked to see you smiling and jumping around, but that calmed down their nervousness for you changing so suddenly environment and routine and -of course- losing your friends.

    Well... that was you only problem; you cried a lot  when you said "good-bye"  to them and you were mentally prepared that in Korea, as a foreigner, you wouldn't be easily accepted. From your looks to yur characther... everything was way too different: you were tall, up to 1.70 m, slim, but not skinny, with brown,long, quite wavy hair, big brown and green eyes and fleshy lips. Actually, there was nothing wrong with you and your face, you simply weren't that tiny, porcelain doll thing. So, you'll be the complete outsider in school, the weird foreigner...

     But, for now, it was still summer and you didn't need to worry about that; you were talking with your friends and cousins through Skype and you would help your mom with the cleaning of teh new house, while trying to learn the streets around your neighbourhood and memorise some basic routes of public transport. Any other person wouldn't risk to do that stuf on their own, but you kind of enjoyed discovering things by yourself.

     That morning your mom woke you up as always and called you for breakfast. Your dad was already at work; his new position would require hard work and long working hours, but his salary would be better, too, so you were satisfied and wouldn't whine.

    "Will you go out to buy a packet of spaghetti, dear? We have nothing else for today..." your mom asked you.

    "Ah, yes, I'll buy more stuff, if you like!" you exclamed and got up from your chair.

    "Oh, Katerina, I don't like sending you on your own... You haven't learnt the directions well yet..."

    "C'mon, maaaa, I'll be fine, you know I like it. And, I told you, call me Rina from now on; it's easier for people here to call me like that, so I'll have to get used to it." you smiled and went upstairs to get dressed.

    When you were about to leave, you found your mom in front of the door and looked at her with a questionmark movement.

    "I'm goign to that magazine. I have many chances to get hired there... you know, the pages for European Fashion. Prepare yourself little one, you might be staying at home lonely for long hours, this year!" she chuckled.

   "Nah, I'll be fine... Good luck, mom!" you hugged her and headed to the market, which wasn't far away from your beautiful detached house. You had got used to living in an appartment and it was exciting for you to have a detached house, with a second floor and spacious rooms, with a small, but delightful backyard. Yeap, you liked many things in your new Korean life!

    You bought everything from your mom's list, which actually proved pretty stupid from you to do it, as you couldn't carry all that stuff without looking at least ridiculous. However, you had paid for them so you'd have to carry them anyways. You grabbed everything in your arms, reassuring the worrying-looking ajumma that you'll make it on your own.

    You were walking pretty clumsily, but you were sure that you'll reach your house safe and sound, even though, you could feel your forehead sweating. Suddenly, your phone rang; instictively, you stopped and moved your hands. Baaaaaaad idea: one bag slipped from your and dropped on the pavement, the products rolling all the way. You bit your lip and blushed, not knowing what to do.

   "Oh my God, I think you need some help over here!" you heard a voice and turned to see a boy, slightly taller than you.

   What the?? Was he wearing eyeliner? Was he a singer or something? Noooo, you didn't recognise his face at all. Well, he had a cute face~ You smiled awkwardly.

   "Well, I..."

   "Aish, are you a foreigner? I didn't notice... Wait, you speak Korean?" he asked you, widening his eyes.

    "Haha, yes, I do. I think my accent a little, but generally I got it, huh?" you smiled kindly.

    "Yes, indeed! Let me help you!" he said and started  putting the stuff in the dropped bag. Noticing your hesitant expression, he smiled and grabbed another bag from your hands. "Don't worry, I just want to help you. My name is Baekhyun"

    "I'm Rina. Thank you, Baekhyun!" you smiled back and felt relieved from the extra weight.

    "Do you live many years in Korea? Or are you half-Korean? Even though you don't look like one at all..." he commented, as you were casually walking.

    "I just moved in from Southern Europe. My dad has been working in a Korean company -back to my country- since I was born..."

    "Which is...?"

    "Which is 16 years ago. He got promoted in May and we moved here before one week."

    "16 years, huh? I'm 17" he winked and you giggled. "You speak really nice Korean, however.."

    "I've been studying it since I was 8 years old."

    "Ah, that explains everything, I guess" he smiled/

     You felt both relieved and sad when you reached your house; relieved you had made it back, but sad you'd miss Baekhyun's company.

   "That's it, here we are."

   "Lovely house! It seems pretty spacious! I've forgotten how it is to live in a spacious house; I live with my friends and it's five of them!"

   " Oh my God, really? How's that? Your parents?" you gasped.

   "Keke, we're EXO; trainees in SM Entertainment, so  we all live together for a year and a half now... I guess you know the reasons" he winked and stepped back as  you unlocked the door.

   "Trainees?! For SM?! W-O-W! Come in for a juice, I owe you!"

   "Sorry, I have to go; we have dance practice every morning."

   "Ah, it's OK. Thank you very much, Baekhyun-sshi; without you I wouldn't have made it with all the stuff still in these bags" you bowed.

   "C'mon, it was nothing! I live around here, so- I suppose- we'll meet again. Don't forget, I know where you live!" he joked and turned to leave, but suddenly stopped.

   "What school are you going to join? Have you thought of it?" he asked.

   "No, not yet, really" you raised an eyebrow.

   "Do think of an Art Highschool" he winked and left.