Chapter 9

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Hanbyul's POV~

"Yah! Hurry up and get ready!" Zelo shouted at me as I was struggling to put on my shoes, hopping on one leg.

"I'm trying gosh!" I shouted at him and fell, failing to put my shoe on correctly.

"Aish! You're so clumsy!" he yelled and looked at his watch. "We're going to be late noona all because of you!"

"Me?!?! You overslept too you idiot!" I shouted and stood up after properly putting on my shoes. We both quickly bowed goodbye to halmeoni and Yongguk, then ran out of the house to school.

"We're not going to make it in time," Zelo said running ahead of me with his long legs. "The bus already left, so we'll have to continue to run to school."

"Aish, why do we have to live so far from school?" I asked breathless.

"It'll only take 7 minutes before we get there!" he shouted at me.

"That's too long!!" I complained running behind him. "Can't we take a taxi?!"

"NO! YOU NEED A WORKOUT TOO!" he shouted and looked behind to glare at me. "This is your punishment for oversleeping."

"YAH! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT YOU OVERSLEPT TOO?!?!?!" I shouted at him and ran faster. In exactly 7 minutes we got to the school just in time before they closed the front gates. I dragged myself into school while Zelo just casually walked in the school like he didn't even run at all.

"Hanbyul~!" I heard Sulli and Krystal sing from the hallway, but when they saw me they just stared at me.

"What happened to you?" Krystal asked.

"Your hair is a mess and your necktie isn't on properly," Sulli stated pointing at me. I was still breathing heavily and looked down at my necktie.

"I overslept so I didn't have time to properly brush my hair or fix my tie," I said as they walked up to me and helped fix my hair and uniform.

"Why'd you oversleep?" Sulli asked while brushing my hair with her fingers. "C'mon let's get going. Class is starting soon."

We walked to our classroom when I bumped right into someone as that person was walking out of the classroom. I looked at the person and noticed that it was Daehyun.

"How rude, he doesn't even say sorry," Krystal scoffed and patted my back. "Let's just take our seats."

I continued to watch Daehyun walk away when Krystal dragged me in the classroom. I looked at the empty seat next to me and wondered where he was going; probably ditching as usual.

 

"Good morning Hanbyul," someone said from behind me. I turned around and looked up to see Luhan smiling down at me. 
 
"Oh, good morning Luhan," I said with a smile as he took Daehyun's seat. 
 
"Are you busy today after school?" he asked staring at me with those big innocent deer eyes of his. 
 
"Me?" I asked pointing to myself as he nodded. 
 
"Yeah she is. She's going shipping with us," Krystal said interrupting while wrapping her arms around my neck. "Sorry, but she's our everyday after school."
 
"Oh, really?" Luhan asked a bit disappointed as she and Sulli nodded. "I see. Well, I just wanted to ask if you'd like to go see a movie or something."
 
"Uh, I-"
 
"It's fine because they did make it clear that you are theirs," he said with a sweet smile and got up. "But one day, it'd be nice to hang out together."
 
"You guys did two days ago," Krystal stated while Luhan just chuckled. "Don't even think about having her to yourself too. Who knows what you might do with that innocent childish face of yours."
 
"Krystal, you don't need to go that far. I'm sure Luhan isn't like that," I said as she made a face. 
 
"I can assure you that I'm not who everyone sees me as. A handsome, rich guy who turns down every single girl, isn't me," he said with another smile and went to his seat. 
 
"No one even cares about who or what you are," Krystal muttered and looked down at me. "But I was serious, we're going shopping today after school."
 
"We are?" I asked as she and Sulli nodded. "Well, I was planning on studying for the history test."
 
"Ah crap! I totally forgot!" Sulli said with a panicked face. "Krystal, I won't be able to go shopping either! I seriously need to study or else if I fail this test too, my dad will take away my phone for good."
 
"I understand," Krystal said with a worried look. "My mom threatened to take away my laptop if I don't do well on my next tests and you guys know how precious that is to me. Looks like we won't be shopping today."
 
"That's too bad," Sulli pouted and class began. 
 
In the middle of class, Daehyun walked in with his bag over his shoulder. No one seemed to pay any attention to him at all though; they must have gotten used to it by now. 
 
"Jung Daehyun, why are you coming to class this late?" Mr. Chae asked, not even taking his eyes off of the textbook he was holding. 
 
"Why do you act as if this is the first time?" Daehyun answered with another question. 
 
"It's my job Daehyun," Mr. Chae said and shut his textbook, setting it aside. "You have the choice of cleaning the classroom and the boy's bathroom or to run around the field 20 times. Which would it be?"
 
Daehyun just glared at Mr. Chae as he returned the glare. 
 
"I'll run 20 times around the field," Daehyun replied, making everyone gasp. 
 
"He's gotta be crazy."
 
"The field is so big."
 
"He won't finish even when the sun has set," students were saying from all over the room. 
 
"Are you are that's what you want to so?" Mr. Chae asked as Daehyun nodded. "Okay then. I hope you won't run away from this punishment, I'll be there to supervise you as well."
 
"Whatever," Daehyun said and yawned before laying his head down on his desk. 
 
"Uwah~ he's so cool."
 
"He's really brave~!"
 
"Such a charismatic guy~" girls from the class kept saying while Mr. Chae continued his lesson. I looked at Daehyun and suddenly poked his side, making him jump a bit. He immediately turned his head, giving me an icy look that froze me on the spot. 
 
"What the hell are you doing?" he firmly asked as I gulped, not knowing what I was doing or why I was evening doing it. 
 
"I-I...I wanted to...ah, I wanted to give you the notes from today, so I poked you to get your attention," I said with an awkward smile as he continued to glare at me. I blinked and ripped out my notes and handed it to him as he just stared at it. 
 
"I don't want your notes," he said and turned away, making my heart frantically beat from the fear of him. 
 
"A person like you can seriously scare a person away," I mumbled to have him sit up in his chair, making me freeze again. I didn't dare to look him in the eyes. 
 
"Say that again," he whispered to me as I gulped. "Too afraid to say it?"
 
"Mr. Chae, I need to use the restroom," I said standing up. He just shooed me away, so I ran out of the classroom and to the bathroom. I splashed my face with cold water and shook my head. 
 
"Aish, why do I say such stupid things without thinking?!" I shouted, gently hitting my head. "He must be super pissed off!"
 
I patted my face and exhaled while staring at myself in the mirror. I then fixed my uniform and slowly walked out of the bathroom. 
 
"I should just stop talking from now on," I mumbled and turned the corner to have someone push me against the wall, making my heart panic. 
 
"You really are an annoying little girl," that haunting voice said, having cold shivers run down my spine. I looked up and saw Daehyun's face leaned down towards me. "So, do you want to repeat what you said earlier about me?"
 
"I'd prefer not to," I said and tried to escape, but he pushed me harder against the wall, making me hiss in pain. He widened his eyes and released me. 
 
"Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," he said, softening his tone. "I'm really sorry."
 
"No, it's fine," I said and rubbed my arms where he was gripping me. "I should be the one apologizing for saying those things about you. I also made you angry."
 
He just stared at me, then turned his face away while rubbing the back of his neck. 
 
"I was angry, but I've calmed down a bit just now because I hurt you...Did I really use a lot of pressure on your arms?" he asked, not looking at me. 
 
"Just a bit, but I'm fine," I said. "It's not like I'm bruised or anything."
 
"Ah, that's good then," he softly said and glanced at me. "Again I'm sorry for the aggression."
 
"Again, it's fine," I said and just stood there in silence. 
 
"Well you should be heading back to the classroom. You don't want to miss out on the lesson," he said and walked away. 
 
"Are you not going back to class?" I asked as he turned his head to look at me. 
 
"Class is over for me," he said and turned the corner. My heart was still racing, but it wasn't out of fear...for sure it wasn't a sign of me liking him or anything like that. I just let the thought slide and walked back to the classroom after almost 10 minutes of being gone. 
 
I took my seat and saw notes that I missed during my "bathroom" break on my desk; they weren't my notes. I looked around the room and no one looked suspicious, except for when I turned to look at Daehyun's desk to see his notebook out and some pages ripped up like he had messed up or something. Matching the paper on my desk to the notebook on his, they were the same making me smile a bit. He took notes for me. He really isn't that bad of a guy after all.