Chapter 2

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

 

Hanbyul's POV~
 
"Uwah~ we're really in Korea!" I exclaimed, pressing my face against the plane's window. "It's beautiful~!"
 
"It surely is beautiful," appa said patting my head. "It's great to be back in my hometown, Seoul."
 
"You grew up in Seoul?" I asked as he chuckled. 
 
"Of course I did! This is where your mother and I met, isn't that right sweetie?" he asked, turning to my mother, who nodded and smiled. 
 
"Your father was really bad at flirting," she giggled as I did too. 
 
"Hey, we promised to keep this a secret," he said and kissed my mother's forehead. I smiled at them and turned back to look out at the city. Seoul, my new life begins here.
 
Boarding off the plane, we met up with halmeoni at the front gates. 
 
"Halmeoni~!" I shouted, seeing her holding a sign with our names on it. I ran up to her and gave her a bear hug. "I missed you~!"
 
"I did too dear," she sweetly said and hugged me tight. 
 
"Where's that annoying cousin of mine?" I asked looking around when someone pushed me to the side. I looked at the person and saw Zelo laughing hysterically. "Found him."
 
"Noona, is it me or have you shrunk?" he asked as I glared at him. 
 
"I'm still the same height as the last time you saw me," I said while he laughed. "You're so tall now."
 
"Of course I am. That's what puberty does. Looks like puberty did nothing to you," he said, making me pull him in for a headlock. 
 
"This brat," I mumbled when someone pulled us apart. 
 
"You haven't changed a bit," Yongguk said with a chuckle. "How's my favorite little cousin?"
 
"Yongguk oppa~" I said and hugged him. "I'm doing great!"
 
"That's good to hear," he said and patted my back. 
 
"Wow, you really have gotten taller Junhong," appa said as Zelo pouted at him. 
 
"It's Zelo," he corrected. 
 
"Junhong or Zelo, you're still not cool," I stated as he glared at me. 
 
"Am too!"
 
"No you're not."
 
"I am!"
 
"Stop lying to yourself!"
 
"I'M COOL!"
 
"No you're-"
 
"Please stop this. You're both not kids anymore," appa said shaking his head at us. "Especially you Hanbyul. You're 17 years old."
 
"And he's 16," I said glaring at Zelo. 
 
"How about we go to grandma's place and eat some freshly baked cookies?" halmeoni asked and smiled. 
 
"YES~!" Zelo and I shouted, running out to the car to be first. 
 
"I got here first!" I shouted, pushing him aside. 
 
"No, I did! With your short legs, you can't be faster than me!" Zelo shouted back. 
 
"This car ride is going to be a long one," umma giggled and so we got in the van with Yongguk driving. 
 
Arriving at halmeoni's home, we unloaded our belongings and headed inside. Halmeoni's house has 2 levels, but it's still pretty small. Appa plans to buy a new house for halmeoni once he settles down in his new job. 
 
"We only have 3 rooms in this house, so Hanbyul will be sharing rooms with me. Zelo moved out to sleep with Yongguk in his room and Taehwan, you and your wife will sleep in Zelo's room. I made sure he cleaned it for you two," halmeoni said as we smiled at her. 
 
"Sorry we made you all do so much," umma said, bowing to them. 
 
"It's our pleasure to do these things," Yongguk said, showing his gums. 
 
"Although it was a bit troublesome to clean my room, I'm glad auntie and uncle are living with us and using it," Zelo said with a smile. "I even got rid of the smell from the rotting cheese."
 
Umma and appa exchanged looks then laughed. 
 
"Come this way Hanbyul and I'll help you unpack," halmeoni said showing me the way to her room. It was neat and big enough for the two of us. There wasn't a bed and all the blankets and sheets were stored in a closet. 
 
"You can keep your clothes in this drawer," halmeoni said. "Yongguk made it himself, just for you."
 
"Did he?" I asked as she nodded. "I'll have to thank him later then."
 
We both unpacked together when Zelo came in. 
 
"Halmeoni, when are you making the cookies?" he asked while rubbing his stomach. 
 
"Oh~ I forgot! I'll go make them now. Help Hanbyul unpack," she said and left while Zelo just stood there. 
 
"Just leave, I know you're not going to help me," I said continuing to unpack my clothes and throwing them in the drawer. 
 
"I'll be nice today and help noona out," he said and kneeled down besides me.  After unpacking most of my things, we ate the cookies halmeoni baked and soon ate dinner. 
 
"Tomorrow you'll be attending Zelo's school. How fun is that?" umma asked as I groaned. Zelo, who was sitting across from me, glared at me and stabbed his fork into the food. 
 
"It's a great school," appa said with a smile. "Your mother and I grew up in that school. That's also when your father and mother started dating Zelo and Yongguk. Hyung only wanted to go to school because of your mother."
 
"That's not good. He should go to school because of his education," Zelo said, which I found ironic, considering how dumb he can be and how much he hates school. 
 
"Hanbyul will you help me with the dishes," umma asked while the boys chit-chatted and halmeoni was setting up the floor to sleep on. 
 
"Umma, do you think the students will like me?" I asked her while rinsing the dishes while she soaped them. 
 
"Of course they will, but not all will like you," she said as I smiled. 
 
"I hope I'm able to make friends," I said. 
 
"I know you will. Who knows, you might even be able to get a boyfriend," she winked. I laughed and finished washing up the dishes. After taking a warm shower, I laid down besides halmeoni and sighed. A new school...I wonder if I'll fit in.