Chapter 15

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

3rd Person POV~

Daehyun and Luhan stared at each other as Hanbyul and Zelo exchanged looks with each other.
 
"What's with this atmosphere?" Zelo whispered to Hanbyul. 
 
"I don't know," she whispered back and just looked at the two stare at each other. 
 
"Daehyun, what are you doing here?" Hanbyul asked with a slight smile. 
 
"It's obvious, I brought him here," Zelo whispered. Hanbyul made a face and didn't know what else to say. 
 
"Uhm, will you be joining us then?" she asked, but Daehyun didn't reply to her. Even for her family, it was a bit awkward. 
 
"Zelo, is he a friend of yours?" halmeoni asked looking at Daehyun. 
 
"Uh, he's a sunbae from school and he's also noona's classmate," Zelo answered as halmeoni nodded. "He'll be joining us for dinner tonight."
 
"Wonderful," halmeoni said with a smile. "From Hanbyul, I'm guessing your name is Daehyun. It's nice to meet you, you can just call me halmeoni."
 
Daehyun didn't want to be rude, so he smiled and nodded to her, then glanced at Luhan who turned away from him. 
 
"It looks like you and Luhan know each other too," Hanbyul's father said. 
 
"Not really, we're just classmates," Daehyun said. Hanbyul looked at Daehyun then to Luhan. 
 
"Uhm, Luhan would you help me bring out the drinks?" she asked as he nodded. "We'll be back then."
 
She and Luhan went back into the house and to the kitchen, grabbing some water bottles. 
 
"Luhan, are you going to be okay with Daehyun here?" Hanbyul asked as Luhan nodded. "Are you sure?"
 
"I've had more awkward moments with him, so this is nothing," he said with a soft smile. "Besides, you're here so it makes things less awkward."
 
She smiled and they both walked out to her family. They sat around the table as her father set the small grill in the middle of the table. Unexpectedly, she was sitting in between Luhan and Daehyun. 
 
"Go ahead and start grilling," Hanbyul's mother said with a smile and so they did. 
 
Sitting in between Luhan and Daehyun, Hanbyul felt really uncomfortable. Her family seemed to have noticed too, but they couldn't do anything but stare at her. 
 
"Hanbyul," Luhan said wrapping up the lettuce, then held it up to her. "Eat this."
 
"Eh? I can do it myself Luhan," she said, embarrassed. 
 
"When someone offers food, you should at least eat it," Luhan said with a smile and so she opened and are from his hand. "Is it good?"
 
"Delicious, but the meat is a bit over cooked," she said with a soft giggle. 
 
Daehyun tried not to be obvious and glanced at the two. 
 
"Hyung, I'll feed you too," Zelo said holding up a lettuce wrap to Daehyun. He looked at Zelo then chuckled, leaning down to eat the lettuce from Zelo's hand. 
 
"That looks really weird," Hanbyul said nibbling her chopsticks. "Seeing this side of Daehyun is weird too."
 
"What side are you exactly seeing?" Daehyun muttered with his mouth full. 
 
"Tch, nothing anymore," she said and continued to grill her meat. Luhan looked at the two as they were arguing without even having to talk, making Luhan smile a bit. Was it a bad idea to be fine with Daehyun here?
 
After dinner, everyone was inside except for Hanbyul, who was cleaning up the table outside. Daehyun noticed her presence gone, so he made an excuse to go to the bathroom. He walked out the back door and saw Hanbyul wiping off the table with a wet rag. He smiled at the sight and walked up to her, taking the rag from her. 
 
"D-Daehyun," she said surprised as he was cleaning the table. "What are you doing?"
 
"I'm making up for that day when I didn't come help you with after school duties," he said with a smile. "This will make up for it, right?"
 
"I guess so," she said scratching her head then watched him clean the table.
 
"What should I do with the left over lettuce?" he asked, holding the two plates of lettuce. 
 
"Ah~ we just feed it to halmeoni's pet rabbits," she said. 
 
"Pet rabbits?" he asked as she nodded. "Where?"
 
"They're over here," she said and led him to a shed, opening it up to see 6 small rabbit in a cage big enough for the 6. 
 
"Who keeps their rabbits in a shed?" Daehyun asked, kneeling down to look at the rabbits. 
 
"Many people do," she replied and kneeled down next to him, sliding her fingers through the cage holes to touch them. 
 
"Can we take one out?" Daehyun asked, wanting to touch one too. 
 
"Of course," she smiled and opened the cage, grabbing the closest one to her. She held it and closed the cage, gently handing him the rabbit. 
 
"Be careful it doesn't run away. Halmeoni would be mad, especially when it's her favorite one," she said petting its head. 
 
"Then why'd you give me her favorite one?" Daehyun asked, brushing the rabbit's back. Hanbyul shrugged and smiled. 
 
"It's soft, isn't it?" she asked as he looked at her innocent face. "Now that I look at it, it kind of reminds me of you."
 
"Bwoh?"
 
"If you look at KeKe long enough, it looks like you," she giggled. 
 
"Keke?" Daehyun asked as she nodded. 
 
"I named her that-"
 
"It's a girl?!"
 
"Yep," she laughed. "KeKe's been around for a while, she's halmeoni's first rabbit and I got to name her."
 
Daehyun nodded and looked down at KeKe, then at the others. 
 
"Did halmeoni just continue to buy more rabbits?" Daehyun asked pointing to the ones in the cage. 
 
"No, those are KeKe's babies," Hanbyul said, taking another one out. "This one I thought looked like Zelo, Zelo named him ToTo."
 
"ToTo? Is there one for Yongguk too then?" Daehyun snickered as she nodded and pointed to one.
 
"Yongguk oppa named him ShiShi," she said with a innocent smile.
 
"You have quite an imagination with rabbits," Daehyun laughed.
 
"That's what halmeoni said too," she laughed and continued to pet ToTo.
 
"Hanbyul?!" they heard Mrs. Choi call. "Hanbyul, where are you?"
 
"Umma's calling for me," she said and put the rabbit back into the cage. "I'll be back."
 
She ran back to the house and helped her mother finish cleaning up. 
 
Luhan hadn't gone home yet because he wanted Hanbyul to walk with him to the bus stop. He waited for her to be done with the cleaning as he continued to talk with her father about random things. 
 
"Luhan, this may be sudden, but is there something going on between you and Hanbyul?" Hanbul's father asked as Luhan and the others around widened their eyes. 
 
"How could you ask someone so suddenly?" Yongguk asked as he shrugged. 
 
"Uhm, there's nothing going on between us," Luhan laughed uneasily. 
 
"Really? I swear I saw a bit of chemistry with you two," he said. 
 
"I would've thought there was something going on between Zelo and Daehyun," Yongguk laughed to have Zelo punch his arm, making Yongguk glare at him. 
 
Mr. Choi continued to talk to Luhan about Hanbyul when Daehyun walked in the living room; they didn't stop talking though. 
 
Daehyun looked around the room for Hanbyul and asked Zelo, "Where's Hanbyul?"
 
"She's in the kitchen with Auntie washing dishes," Zelo answered and pointed to the kitchen. "She should be done by now."
 
"Oh, tell her I said goodbye," Daehyun said and looked at Mr. Choi. "Thank you for letting me stay for dinner. I had a good time with you all."
 
"Would you like me to take you home?" Mr. Choi asked, standing up from his seat.
 
"No thank, I don't live far from here," Daehyun smiled and bowed to him, walking to the door when halmeoni stopped him.
 
"I packed some kimchi for you to take home for your parents," she said handing him a plastic container. Daehyun knew it would be wrong to reject it, so he took it with a smile.
 
"Thank you halmeoni," Daehyun bowed. "Dinner was great too."
 
"I'm glad you like it. Come back to see us again," halmeoni said and patted his back as he opened the door, then walked out with a final bow.
 
"He's a nice guy, I like him," halmeoni smiled at the boys in the living room. "Ah~ Luhan, I also packed some kimchi for you to take home."
 
"Thank you halmeoni," Luhan said, then Hanbyul walked into the living room.
 
"Oh, where did Daehyun go?" she asked looking for him.
 
"He just left," Zelo said pointing at the door.
 
"I didn't even walk him out," she pouted then looked at Luhan. "Should I walk you out then? It is late."
 
Luhan smiled and nodded, getting up. He and Hanbyul walked out of the house and walked to the bus stop.
 
"How was it oppa? Spendning another day with my family and with Daehyun?" she asked.
 
"It was really fun," Luhan smiled. "It felt like the old days being with Daehyun and grilling."
 
"You two must have done a lot together, huh?" she asked as he nodded. She softly smiled and waited with him for the bus to come, which didn't take long.
 
"I'll see you at school tomorrow then," Luhan said as she nodded. He then stood in front of her and hugged her.
 
"Thank you for today, I had fun," he said and let her go, then got on the bus waving. "Bye bye."
 
She was too shocked to wave back and so the bus drove her, leaving her speechless. Did that just really happen?
 
Luhan sat by the window towards the front, then looked in the plastic container to see a sticky note on it written by Hanbyul.
 
I hope you like the kimchi I made with halmeoni~! It may not be the best, but I know it's one of a kind, hehe^^ Also, thank you for coming over to have dinner with us, it was a pleasure to have you over Luhan oppa. Eat it well~~~~!!!!^^
 
He chuckled and stuck it in his pocket so he could keep it somewhere safe once he gets home.
 
Daehyun entered his house and set the plastic container on the table when a piece of paper fell onto the ground. He furrowed his eyebrows and bent down, opening it and read it.
 
KeKe-ssi, eat the kimchi well~! It's made of lettuce and I know how much you like it!
 
Tch, she writes it as if I really am KeKe; I don't even like lettuce that much.
 
Knowing a person like you, you'd probably throw the kimchi away, but don't!!! Why? Because I made it with halmeoni! It took forever and I got scolded; I worked hard! It's also the best kimchi in the world, so don't you dare throw away the kimchi! Ahh~ not to forget! It was nice having you join us for dinner, it was a bit awkward, but I really did get to see a different side of you oppa Daehyun. Anyways, eat the kimchi well~! Come over again and we'll play with Keke and the others!! Sleep well^^
 
Daehyun snickered and neatly folded the note back up. That idiot, how dare she write such a long note.