Chapter 48

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Hanbyul's POV~

It's been nearly 3 weeks since I've last seen Luhan. Daehyun had told me everything that he and Luhan talked about and as of now, none of us know what his decision will be. Graduation was 2 months away also, so none of us had the time to really think about the situation. We all had to study for our college entrance exams. Not only that, but Daehyun had to give his father his answer by the end of next week.

During our lunch break, everyone was exhausted from their studies. Krystal was pretty much asleep at her desk with her lunch sitting out; Sulli was dozing off and Youngjae tiredly copied down some notes. Daehyun and I looked at them with pity.

"Hey," Daehyun spoke, getting their attention. Even Krystal opened her eyes. "Do you guys want to go on a getaway trip this weekend?"

"Getaway trip?!" Krystal exclaimed, now fully awake. "YES!"

I giggled at her enthusiam.

"That sounds like a great idea," Youngjae grinned.

"I agree," I beamed. "We could use a break from all these study sessions."

And the others nodded in agreement.

"Where at?" Sulli tilted her head.

"I'm sure we'd all like to go to the beach," Daehyun smiled. "So I can book a few rooms at a resort next to the ocean."

"That sounds perfect!" Krystal gasped with the widest grin ever. "Ouu~ I can probably ask appa to rent a yacht for us!"

I couldn't help, but laugh at their enthusiams. Youngjae was already planning out our budget, Krystal was planning activites for us to do and Sulli thought about food. I looked at Daehyun, who looked at me with a soft smile; I immediately started blushing.

"Are you happy?" he asked as I shyly nodded.

"It would be considered my first vacation with friends, so it makes me happy," I answered. "Thanks for doing this."

"I should be the one to thank you," he smiled leaning closer to me. "It's because of you that I was able to start realizing my true self."

My heart was racing as he got closer to me, until Krystal threw her hand in between us.

"No skinship until you make your relationship official," she pouted cutely. "Also, we're in a classroom so no kissing."

"K-k-k-ki-kissing?!" I rounded my eyes, feeling my face flush. Daehyun laughed with the others following along. "Y-yah, stop it!"

Throughout the whole day, I was embarrassed. Even walking home with Daehyun made me embarrassed.

"Umma told me you wanted to learn how to make gyeongju bread (pastry with red bean paste filling)," Daehyun said with a smile. I remember asking his mother about the recipe when I had gone over last week when she made it. "She wants you to come over tonight to teach you."

"Really?!" I beamed. Hers were savory and sweet, unlike the store bought ones. Daehyun chuckled and nodded.

Daehyun had walked me home and I quickly went to change into comfy clothes. I walked out my room and passed the living room where my father was reading his daily magazines.

"Where are you going?" he asked, looking up.

"Daehyun's mom is going to teach me how to make gyeongju bread," I grinned.

"You've been going over there a lot," he said setting his magazine on his lap. I sheepishly smiled and rubbed the back of my neck; I didn't know how to respond.

Appa smiled and snickered. "Confirm your relationship before you start living with him."

"W-what?!" I widened my eyes with my face turning red.

"I don't want you to become familiar with his parents or him if you're not thinking about the future, my precious daughter," he teased. I did sense a little jealousy in his voice.

"A-appa!" I shouted, embarrassed and huffed out a sigh. "Geez, you and my friends all think the same."

"It's cause we're tired of seeing you two have this some relationship. Just date already," appa said and went back to his readings. "Go. You've kept him waiting long enough."

I pouted and walked to the door. "I'll be going then. I'll bring back some gyeongju bread."

And with that I walked out of my house and saw Daehyun kicking some rocks. He looked at me and smiled, making my heart race.

"I really do like him," I whispered to myself and made my way to him.

Luhan's POV~

I was on my lunch break at work and sat on the second floor by the window. I sipped by strawbery-bananna smoothie while watching people walk out on the streets. I was minding my own business when a group of students from my class came up to me.

"Isn't this a surprise?" Junki, a classmate, scoffed. "We haven't seen you in awhile. Rumor has it that you dropped out of school, is it true? Did you drop out because you're scared? Or because you're too poor to pay for school?"

His group of friends laughed. I didn't want to waste my time to explain anything to them; they didn't need any explaination.

"Not speaking?" Jinhyung, Junki's best friend, snickered. "That's right. Now that you're on a lower status than us, you can't speak up. That would be considered disrespectful."

"Not disrespectful, but disgusting," Junki laughed. "Someone as close to trash to speak to us is disgusting."

I shut my eyes shut and bit my bottom lip, trying to calm myself down. They continued to throw nasty words at me and I was ready to punch one of them.

"Yah!" I heard a girl's voice. I recognized this voice. "Get the hell away from him! Or I'll cut your heads off!"

"Shut the hell up Krystal," Junki glared, but she didn't dare lose. She glared back and walked towards us.

"Stop harassing him," she firmly said with fierce eyes. Junki and his gang scoffed.

"Standing up for this trash again?" Junki asked in disbelief.

"Trash?" she scoffed. I sighed and tried to make her stop, considering that she was causing a scene. "Let me tell you something Junki-ssi. You and your attitude is on a way lower status than Luhan's. I would compare you to the sewers, nothing but full of shi-"

"What's going on?" I heard my manager call out. I sighed, embarrassed and hid my face, sinking into my seat.

Junki and his gang didn't want any sort of lecture or punishment so they left mumbling some curses. Krystal on the other hand was breathing heavily, irritated.

"Wanna tell me what's going on?" my manager asked, looking at me then to Krystal. She glared at my manager and crossed her arms.

"You're going to ask me that question?" she asked as my manager blinked his eyes. I guess he's never encountered such a girl. "Are you serious right now? Did you not see them harass your employee?!"

"U-uhm-"

"How can you let them do that?! If I were you I would have called the cops before trying to settle down the situation!" Krystal lectured him. He looked at me for help, but I shrugged. He was all on his own.

"I was just doing my job-"

"Then do a better job manager-ssi!" she yelled and huffed out a sigh. "Someone like Luhan oppa...you have to protect."

I felt a sharp stab to my chest. I looked up at her as she had a soft, yet sad face. My manager sighed and nodded.

"I'll do my best, so please calm down," he said and she nodded. He looked at me and mouthed, "She's scary."

I snickered and she looked at me. I gulped and softly smiled.

"Thanks for standing up for me," I said as she narrowed her eyes at me.

"Don't you have any pride? How can you let a girl stand up for you?" she asked, still irritated. I scoffed a smile.

"I'll make it up to you by giving you a free drink," I said and she agreed.

My manager gave me a longer break, so Krystal and I sat outside of the cafe. She sipped her Iced Americano and stared at me. I raised an eyebrow at her with a question mark written on my face.

"Did you drop out already?" she asked. I thought my discussion about this was over. "I want to know. Did Daehyun not convince you? Should I give it a try?"

"Krystal," I sighed her name. "Why are you guys so eager to have me back in school?"

"Because it's the best for you," she pouted. "Do you think you'd get a decent job without a high school diploma?"

I nodded. "I've got a decent job right now."

She scoffed and wagged her pointer finger at me. "Not good enough to support you and your family."

Her way of thinking was funny, so I chuckled a bit. She crossed her arms; she was serious.

"I don't care if your drop out forms have already been sumitted, but come back to school," she softly said. "We all miss you."

That last sentence gave me mixed feelings. Do they really miss me, or was it her way of getting me back to school?

"Ah, this weekend we're having a getaway trip," she smiled. "I'm sure they'd love it if you came and joined us one last time."

I didn't know how to respond.

"If you come, I promise you...I promise I will leave you alone forever," she begged. "So come on this trip and have fun with us one last time. Come to my house by 5 PM this Friday."

She wrote down her address on a napkin and handed it to me. "Please come, oppa."

By the end of the day, I still couldn't decide what my decision was. I did have a few days to think about it though. I laid on my mattress and looked at Krystal's address.

"Should I go?" I asked myself. "Wouldn't it just be burdensome for me?"