Chapter 21

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

3rd Person POV~

Daehyun and Luhan sat in Daehyun's living in silence. Daehyun looked down at his fingers as he played with it while Luhan could only stare at the floor.

"What exactly is it you wanted to talk about?" Daehyun asked, breaking the silence.

"It's about earlier today, when you said those things," Luhan softly spoke. "Was the best friend you were referring to, you?"

Daehyun scoffed and glanced at Luhan. "And what if it was?"

"I wanted to apologize," he said, looking directly at Daehyun.

"Apologize? Since when did I ever accept your apologies?" he asked, glaring at Luhan. "Never."

"I want to know, why do you hate me so much?" Luhan asked with soft eyes. "It was all back then-"

"And you think I could forget the past?" Daehyun muttered through clenched teethes. "Some people are good at forgetting the past and I'm not one of them."

"I-"

"Just give up already Luhan, it's useless to go back to who we were back then," Daehyun said getting up from the couch. "Walk yourself out, I've got to get up early tomorrow."

Luhan looked at Daehyun walk up the stairs and slowly sighed. I'm not going to give up because I know the Daehyun I knew back then is still here.

Daehyun laid in his bed, looking up at all the glow-in-the-dark stars that were taped up on his ceiling. 1...2...3...16 stars...16 stars that we taped up together when we were kids. Why can I hate you so much, but not down all these stars? These memories?

"Daehyun-ah," he heard Luhan's voice. "I'm not going to leave until you hear me out."

"Do whatever you want," he muttered and turned his back to the door.

In the middle of the night, Daehyun woke up to see if Luhan really had stayed behind and dumbfound, he really did. Luhan was asleep on the couch where they sat to talk.

"This idiot," Daehyun sighed and grabbed a blanket from the closet, placing it over Luhan's restless body. "You're really not going to give up, are you?"

Luhan's POV~

I woke up to a familiar scent and rubbed my eyes, from a blurry vision to a clear vision. My mind not fully awake yet, I didn't recognize the house I had slept in when it came to me; the familiar scent of Daehyun's household and the familiar interior of his house. I got up and walked up the stairs to see if Daehyun had woken up or not. I knocked on his door, but there was no reply. I twisted the door knob and entered the room, seeing his bedroom completely empty.

"He already went to school?" I wondered and walked around in his room. "Nothing's really changed since, except there are no more photos of us."

I sighed and looked up to see the stars we taped up when we were kids. Out of everything, he kept the stars up?

I didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing, but I took it as good. I smiled to myself and walked out of his room. I noticed that I didn't have my uniform with me, meaning I'd have to go back all the way home to get it, but then I'd be late to school. Walking back to the living room, I saw a neatly folded pair of uniform on the table with a note. I grabbed it and read it.

Don't think I'm being nice to you by doing this. When you're done with it, wash it, then return it to me. And don't you dare rip it or anything, or I'll kill you.

I chuckled and took his uniform, changing into it in the bathroom. Once I arrived at school, I saw Daehyun wearing his casual clothes walking into the school. I sighed and entered the school, walking into the classroom to see Daehyun laying his head down on his desk. Next to him was Hanbyul, who was too busy poking him to even notice me.

"Oh, Luhan," I heard Sulli's voice. I turned around and smiled at her and Krystal. "Did you hear?"

"About what?" I asked, taking my seat.

"About Hanbyul's birthday party. It's this weekend at her house," Krystal said with a smile. I only looked at her confused. "I'm guessing she didn't tell you."

"I knew about her birthday, but not a party," I said as they exchanged looks, then turned to look at Hanbyul as I did too.

"Hanbyul!" they shouted her name, interrupting her from playing with Daehyun. She looked our way, surprised. "Come here!"

She blinked at us then walked out of her seat towards us.

"What is it?" she asked, confused.

"You didn't tell Luhan about your birthday party?" Sulli asked as she rounded her eyes.

"What party? I told you guys that it wasn't official yet," she said, almost like she was panicing.

"Yeah, but we're making it official," Krystal said with a grin. "You, me, Sulli, Luhan, and Daehyun."

"B-but-"

"No buts, we've confirmed it ourselves already," Krystal said and ended it there. I chuckled and looked at Hanbyul.

"Why are you so worried? I'm sure it'd be fun," I said with a smile. "And you don't have to worry about me being with you know who."

She looked at me then to Daehyun, who was still asleep at his desk.

"But-"

"No buts," I said. "I'm sure he wouldn't want to ruin your birthday party even if I was there. He'd endure it til the end."

"So it's official," Sulli said clapping her hands and looked at Daehyun. "Daehyun~!"

Daehyun slowly lifted his head up to look at us with tired eyes, but those eyes looked more cold than tired.

"We're celebrating Hanbyul's birthday this weekend~! Come join us! Luhan's coming too!" Sulli shouted across the room. Daehyun looked at me and turned away from us. "Did he just ignore me?"

"He's like that," both Hanbyul and I replied.

"Well you two seem to know him pretty well," Krystal said looking at us suspiciously. We chatted for a little longer before class started and they all headed to their seats.

Daehyun's POV~

I heard Mr. Chae's voice talking up at the front of the classroom, but I still didn't look up or care to pay attention to his lesson. It wasn't long when I felt something hit my head, making me slowly lift my head up to see him glaring at me.

"Jung Daehyun, what happened to your uniform?" he asked pointed right at me.

"I didn't feel like wearing it today," I said laying my head back down on the desk.

"It's been awhile since you've been on the cleaning duty list," Mr. Chae said as I heard the chalk up against the black board. Did it really bother me? Nah.

Once the school day had ended, I went straight to the storage room to get all the cleaning equipments and headed to that bathrooms. I pulled a mask over my face when I heard someone walking towards me. I poked my head out of the bathroom and saw Youngjae smiling at me.

"I'll help you hyung," he said.

"And what exactly can you help me with? Get lost," I said, wetting the mop in the bowl of water.

"But I want to help you out hyung," he said, setting his bag aside.

"Youngjae-ah, you can help me by going home," I said, carelessly moping the floor.

"But-"

"Youngjae," I warned. "I don't need you here."

He looked at me with hurt eyes and grabbed his stuff, walking away. I honestly felt bad, so I called him back.

"Why don't you clean the toilets? I'll handle the rest," I said handing him a pair of yellow rubber gloves. He smiled and nodded. We cleaned until our arms started hurting, but we endured it for a while longer.

"Hyung," Youngjae started talking. "Do you like Hanbyul?"

I felt my heart beat and I had to stop cleaning. I looked at him through mirror and shook my head.

"I don't like her at all," I answered. "Why?"

"I was just curious," he said, but his expression spoke more.

"Don't lie to me, tell me why you wanted to know," I demanded, turning around to face him. He stopped cleaning and sighed.

"I feel like, if you were to like her and have a relationship with her, I'd lose you as my friend," he softly said, a bit hurt.

"Let me make it clear, we aren't even friends, you're my shadow; the one who follows me around," I said with a harsh tone. "And even if I was to start a relationship with, why would you care?"

He didn't say anything and continued to clean the toilet as I deeply exhaled.

"Youngjae-ah, you don't have to be jealous over a girl because you're afraid of losing a friendship. You have to trust that friend and your friendship in order to have a strong friendship," I said. "We may not be friends, but you'll always be my shadow."

"Then what about your relationship with Luhan?" he then asked.

"My relationship with Luhan is different," I replied and continued to clean the sink when I saw someone walk past the bathroom throught window. Hmm, no one should be here at this time.

I stopped cleaning for a bit and walked out of the bathroom to see no one in the hallway. I scratched my head and looked down to see the uniform I had lent to Luhan neatly folded on a lunch box with a box of juice next to it. I opened up the lunchbox and it was packed with different kinds of meats, the meat I like to eat and only one person knows what I like is Luhan. He still knows what I like, even after all these years. He must really be desperate to get my forgiveness.