Chapter 54

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

3rd Person POV~

Luhan sat in the corner deep in his thoughts. There was so much more he wanted to say to Hanbyul, but she was already breaking down during his confession so he didn't want to throw it all at her. Youngjae noticed the change in his face and moved closer to him. 

"Are you okay, hyung?" he asked, catching Krystal and Sulli's attention. Luhan looked up and nodded. 

"Did something happen during the date?" Sulli asked, cocking her head to the side. Luhan shrugged. 

"I confessed to her," he bluntly said. They all gasped with round eyes. "I just thought I should've done a better job at it, but what's done is done."

"Is that why you went on the date with her, so you could confess to her?" Krystal asked trying to connect everything in her head. Luhan nodded. "I don't know why, but I feel bad for you."

Luhan chuckled. "Why would you feel bad for me? Because I got rejected?"

"Yeah, pretty much," she confessed. 

"Why did you suddenly want to confess?" Sulli questioned as she sipped her lemonade drink. 

He shrugged again. "Maybe I was tired of keeping it in and having to repeat the same words over and over again."

They looked at him confused. 

" 'I don't know what hurts more, to lose you or to take you away from the one you love...'," Luhan told them. "That phrase kept appearing in my mind."

"That's sad," Youngjae said feeling sorry for his hyung. Luhan gave him an assuring smile that he was okay. 

Silence took over.

"What's taking them so long? Hanbyul and Daehyun?" Krystal asked, smacking an egg at Sulli's head without any notice. Sulli applied some pressure on her head and pouted at Krystal, who gave her a sorry shrug. 

Luhan looked at the closed door of their room and stood up from his seat. "I'll go look for them."

The others nodded and he walked out of the room. He scanned the lobby, the men's sauna, the hot tubs and they were no where in sight. He headed to the back of the spa and noticed the sliding door to the patio was opened ajar.

He walked towards it and saw Daehyun and Hanbyul talking. Their backs were facing him. 

He was going to open the sliding door and call out to them, but he stopped midway after hearing Hanbyul ask a question. 

"Have you made your decision yet?" she asked. Daehyun was quiet for a few seconds and looked down directly at her with a soft smile. 

"Yeah, I've made my decision," he replied. Luhan furrowed his eyebrows and stepped aside, hiding so that he wouldn't be seen if they decided to turn around. 

Hanbyul waited for him to continue. Daehyun turned around and leaned against the patio railing. 

"I'll be going to Japan with appa once I graduate," he continued. Both Hanbyul and Luhan's hearts dropped. 

Luhan didn't know he was even asked to go to Japan; this was new to him. 

Daehyun glanced at Hanbyul's saddened face.

"So you're going?" she asked wanting to confirm it.

He nodded. 

"Why?" she questioned. There were so many things going on in her head, so many questions. 

"Because I'm tired of staying here," he answered with a soft scoff. "I want to create a new life. I want to reinvent myself in Japan."

Luhan hung his head low. This reminded of himself...running away and being someone else.

Daehyun placed his hand on Hanbyul's head without looking at her. 

"That's what you thought I'd say, right?" Daehyun asked with a sly smile. Luhan and Hanbyul's head both snapped up upon hearing that, even if they were in different areas. 

Daehyun ruffled her hair and pulled his hand back to his side. "I haven't told appa yet, but I'll go with him to help him settle in. Then I'll return to Korea and focus on my life here."

Hanbyul was relieved and so was Luhan; slightly smiling. 

Hanbyul was so relieved that she hugged Daehyun without any notice. He was taken by surprise, but he didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her waist. They stayed like that for a few minutes, then she pulled away. 

"Just asking, but what made you stay?" she asked, tilting her head to the side. He blinked his eyes and sighed as if he was thinking, then he smiled down to her. 

He leaned down and rubbed his nose against hers. "You."

Hanbyul's eyes slightly widened and her heart just exploded. 

Although Luhan didn't see the action, he quietly snickered at Daehyun's answer. "He's seriously in love with her."

Hanbyul blinked her eyes, not knowing how to react. Daehyun, on the other hand, pulled her closer to him to the point where she was crushed against him. He rested his chin on her head and let out a sigh.

"I stayed for you," he repeated. "And for Luhan."

Luhan felt his breath stop. 

"I still haven't lost hope for him," Daehyun softly said with a gentle smile. "I want him to realize that I'm there for him, that we're all there for him because..."

Luhan's heart dropped and he frowned.

"Because it hurts me to see my friend like this," Daehyun said. "So I'm going to stay and help Luhan the best I can, even after I graduate. And you, I couldn't even stand being away from you today, so I know I wouldn't be able to survive in Japan if you weren't with me. That's why I decided to live with appa."

Hanbyul smiled. "That's a relief then."

Luhan swallowed the lump in his throat after knowing Daehyun's motives on helping him. He composed himself together before interrupting the two. They saw him and broke apart.

"Sorry to disturb you guys," Luhan forced a smile. "But you guys have school tomorrow morning, so it's best if we leave now or else you guys won't be able to focus well during lecture."

Daehyun and Hanbyul nodded and obediently followed Luhan to the rest of the crew.

That same night, they all packed up their things and took the train back to Seoul. Krystal, Sulli and Youngjae were fast asleep while the other 3 were awake to make sure they wouldn't miss their stop.

Daehyun and Hanbyul sat together while Luhan sat across them with a table as their barrier. Hanbyul's head was bobbing up and down, drowsy, so Daehyun gently placed her head on his shoulder. Luhan saw and turned away to look out at the night sky.

Hanbyul immediately fell asleep and the two boys looked out the window. 

"Thanks for coming today," Daehyun quietly mumbled still looking at the night scenery. 

"Yeah," Luhan replied and it turned into a comfortable silence. 

Since they took the KTX train, their ride was just 2 1/2 hours long so they arrived in Seoul a lot sooner than expected. Half asleep, everyone boarded off the train and made their way to their own cars. 

"Bye guys," Youngjae barely said and tiredly waved to them before entering his mother's car. Krystal also waved a "goodbye" before entering her father's car; Sulli just walked into her brother's car without a word. 

Yongguk had been assigned to pick Hanbyul and Daehyun up from the train station, so he arrived a bit later. They packed their stuff into the trunk and Hanbyul was the first to enter the car, closing her eyes to sleep again. Yongguk looked over to Luhan, who was waiting for the taxi he had called for earlier.

"Want me to take you home?" he asked Luhan.

"No, I've already called for a taxi," Luhan smiled.

"Are you sure? I don't mind taking you home at all," Yongguk said, concerned. But Luhan rejected the offer and gestured the older one to get in the car. Yongguk sighed, "Have a good night then. Get home safely."

Luhan nodded and Yongguk got into his car, but Daehyun was still standing there. He stared at Luhan for a few seconds before turning around.

"I'll see you soon," Daehyun said.

"We promised to not see each other anymore, remember?" Luhan snickered. "That's why I joined you guys on this trip."

Daehyun gave himself a crooked smile. "I don't make promises anymore because the person I make promises with tend to never keep them."

Luhan furrowed his eyebrows, confused. Daehyun didn't want to explain himself and opened the car door, entering it and shutting it behind him. And with that, Yongguk drove off, waving to Luhan one last time before he was fully out of sight.

As soon as everyone had arrived at their own homes, someone was always there to welcome them home, but not Luhan. He entered his broken home and no one was there to welcome him.

He was only gone for 2 days and his home looked different; it looked even more shabby. He sighed and whispered, "I'm home."

The next morning...

"! I'm late!" Daehyun shouted from his bed and quickly got ready for school. He didn't care to comb his hair or fix his uniform, he just didn't want to stay after school and clean up the bathrooms and the classrooms. 

He ran out of the house and met Hanbyul halfway to school, who also looked like a disaster. They both didn't greet each other and ran towards the school gates, but they were already closed shut. The two, out of breath, let out a groan. 

"We're too late!" they heard Krystal's voice. They both turned and saw Krystal, Sulli and Youngjae running their way. Once they had grouped up, they sighed not knowing what to do.

"We're so dead if Mr. Chae finds out we're not there," Sulli panicked.

"But what can we do? We're locked out," Youngjae stated the obvious.

"It's not like we can just jump over the walls," Krystal groaned, but Daehyun and Hanbyul gave each other a look.

"We can," Hanbyul grinned and Daehyun nodded. They looked at them confused. "Back when I first started, I was late once with Zelo but luckily Daehyun was there, so he helped me and Zelo over the wall."

"Not to mention, you ripped your skirt at the waistline," Daehyun chuckled as she turned to glare at him. He shrugged like he said nothing wrong and walked towards the best spot to jump over the wall. They followed him.

Daehyun stopped and tapped the brick wall with the palm of his hand. "Oh how much I've missed you."

"Can we just get over the wall? You can catch up with it later," Krystal rolled her eyes and Daehyun smirked.

"Fine then," Daehyun said. "You'll be the first one up."

She widened her eyes and shook her head, but he dragged her towards him. He interlocked his fingers together and had Youngjae help as the other supporter. 

"Don't you dare look up," Krystal warned as she stepped on Daehyun's palms. He scoffed, "I won't be looking at you. My eyes are all for Hanbyul only."

Hanbyul blushed, hard. Krystal scoffed and stepped on Youngjae's palms soon being lifted up to the top of the wall. She managed to climb over perfectly fine. Next was Sulli; she was a bit harder cause she was taller and had more weight on her than Krystal. But she was able to get over the wall just fine. Hanbyul was next, but Daehyun stopped her.

"Youngjae will go up first," Daehyun said as Hanbyul and Youngjae exchanged looks. "Youngjae's already worn out, so we'll lift him up, then I'll lift you up."

They obeyed his words and so Hanbyul supported Youngjae up; he was suprisingly light to her. He jumped over and landed safely on the other side. Hanbyul was getting ready to get over the wall, but Daehyun held her hands.

"Let's go on a date," Daehyun grinned. She slightly widened her eyes and looked at him in disbelief.

"Yah! Hurry up!" Krystal shouted from the other side.

"You guys go on ahead! We'll see you all later at the group session!" Daehyun shouted back and dragged Hanbyul away. She tried to pull away, but he was just too strong for her.

Meanwhile, the ones who got over the wall stood there in disbelief and just then, Mr. Kim, the PE teacher walked up behind them.

"Sneaking in, aren't we?" he evilly grinned the question. They froze in their spots. "Jung Krystal, Yoo Youngjae, Choi Sulli, 20 laps around the track before you enter the school. Now!"

He blew his whistle and they flinched, startled. They exchanged looks and dragged their bodies towards the track.

"I'm going to kill them once I see them later tonight," Krystal muttered.

"I'm not going to share my notes with them," Youngjae pouted, betrayal in his heart.

"I won't share my bread with them anymore," Sulli huffed out a sigh.

Daehyun and Hanbyul were still holding hands as they walked out of the school's premises. He looked down at her with a smile and she couldn't help but smile back. She really was in love with him and he too, was deeply in love with her.