Chapter 57

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Hanbyul's POV~

I was in my room studying with music blasting. I laid flat on my stomach with my legs kicking up in the air along with the beat when Zelo walked in.

"You got cash?" Zelo asked, kicking my . I glared at him, "No, I don't."

I just started my first job as a receptionist at a grooming place for dogs and since then Zelo has been asking me for money. 

"I know you're hiding some," he insisted checking my drawer and bags. I got up and smacked him in the head. 

"I told you I don't have any," I growled. "Why do you need cash anyways?"

"To buy a new skateboard," he casually said with a shrug. I rolled my eyes and kicked his leg. 

"You have enough of those," I said and laid back onto my stomach, trying to focus on my studies. He whined like a child and sat next to me, cross legged. He held his arms out, cupping his hands. 

"Give me five dollars then," he pouted. I ignored him. "Four dollars?"

Still ignored him. 

"Three?" he carefully said. I thought for a second and slowly sat up, reaching for my purse. I pulled out three bucks and handed it to him. 

He wasn't satisfied, but wasn't disappointed either. 

"Thanks," he barely said and stood up, sulking. "I'll go buy ice cream with this."

He walked out, but I knew he wasn't gone. I stared at the door as he poked his head back in. 

"Can I have one more-"

"Go away," I said crossing my arms. He stuck his tongue out, pouted then left.  

I sighed and shook my head, clicking my tongue at the kid, then returned to my studies. 

I studied for a good 3 hours when my eyes were starting to droop and my hands cramping up. I laid on my back and rubbed my eyes to stay awake. It was probably evening by now. 

I stared up at the ceiling when my eyelids slowly covered my eyes and within seconds, everything went black and I felt at peace. 

Luhan's POV~

I was just getting out of work and waved goodbye to my coworker. I walked out of the cafe and down the street towards home when I saw Zelo eating ice cream alone on a bench. 

I raised an eyebrow and slowly approached him wondering what he was doing so late at night. It must have been past 9 PM. 

"Zelo," I said once I was standing behind him. He flinched from my sudden voice and looked at me with wide eyes and a melon Popsicle sticking out his mouth. 

He pulled it out and his lips, placing his free hand on his chest. "You scared me, hyung."

I chuckled and walked around the bench sitting next to him. 

"Sorry," I apologized and he stuck his Popsicle back in his mouth, it. "What are you doing here so late?"

He didn't reply, but pointed across the street. I turned and saw the bike shop; it had bikes, skateboards, roller blades and more. I noticed on the display through the window that there was a new skateboard; apparently is was a limited item. 

I looked over to him as his eyes were glued to this new skateboard. I placed an arm around him. 

"I'm assuming you're sulking over that new beauty," I said as he nodded. "How much is it?"

He looked at me with sparkling wide eyes and pulled out his melting Popsicle. 

"Are you going to buy it for me?!" he exclaimed with a wide grin. I blinked my eyes. 

"No," I said straight up. "Just because someone asks for the price doesn't mean they're going to buy it. I was just curious."

"No, when someone asks for the price it means they're going to buy it," Zelo said, determined. "Halmeoni does it all the time, and Auntie and Uncle; Yongguk too. Not so much of Hanbyul, but Daehyun does it too."

I laughed. "You're one spoiled child. I guess I'll be the first to break that thought."

He pouted and stuck his Popsicle back in his mouth. I chuckled and stood up, gently kicking his shoes. 

"Go home, it's getting late," I said. He sighed and waved me off; his way of telling me to leave him alone while he continues to sulk. 

I placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. 

"If you really want money, you gotta work for it," I told him and walked away with my hands shoved in my pockets. 

I got home by bus and walked up the stairs when I saw the lights in the house. I remembered turning off all the lights and walked to the front door. I placed an ear against it to see if I could hear anything suspicious, but it was silent. 

I cocked my head and took out my keys, inserting it in the keyhole and twisting the knob. 

Before I even stepped in, I smelled ramen. My body entered and I saw Daehyun stirring ramen in a pot while sitting on the floor. 

He looked up at me and smiled. "You're finally home."

"What are you doing here?" I snickered the question. "How'd you even get in?"

He reached in his pocket and pulled out a bobby pin. 

"I stole some of Hanbyul's bobby pin and made my way in," he grinned and stuffed it back in his pocket. "Sit down and eat."

I set aside my bag and sat on the floor across from him. He handed me a pair of chopsticks and a cup of water. I dug in first but then I noticed that Daehyun wasn't eating. 

"Are you not eating?" I asked as he shook his head with a smile. 

"That's all for you," he said. I furrowed my eyebrows and set my chopsticks aside. 

"What's going on?" I asked, suspecting something was up. 

"Eat first, we'll talk later," he softly said and gestured me to eat. 

Once I had finished the ramen to its last soup drop I asked Daehyun to tell me what his intentions were of coming to my place. 

"It's nothing much, really," he shrugged. "Just a quick question."

"And what is that question?" I asked with an eyebrow raised with caution. He looked at me then averted his gaze to the floor with a deep sigh. 

"I'll be frank with you, hyung," he started and looked me in the eyes. "What do you think about moving in to our house?"

I widened my eyes and felt my breath stop for a second. 

"I know it's sudden, but umma and I think it'd be nice if you came and lived with us," he continued on. I could tell that he was a bit embarrassed, but he proceeded. "Besides, it'd be more convenient for you."

I snickered into a smile. "I'm happy you both thought of me, but I think it's best if I stay by myself. It'd only be more troublesome if I-"

"Why do you always think like that?" he asked with a frown. I felt my chest squeeze tight; I could tell that he was upset. 

"Sorry Daehyun," was all that could come out of my mouth. 

He sighed and stood up. "It's cold."

I looked at him with my head tilted to the side with the sudden change of topic. "What?"

"This house of course," he said looking down at me, almost as if he was glaring at me. "I'll excuse myself then. Bye."

He put on his shoes and opened the door. 

"I'll think about it," I said before he could leave. "As of now, I want to focus on getting my life back together and I can't have too many things happen at once. I've already been through that once and it didn't end well. So, give me time to settle myself into this new reality I've given myself."

He glanced at me and I could see a smile, then he turned around and left; that was his way of saying he understood. 

I sighed and laid on the mattress, staring up at the dusty ceiling. 

"It sure is cold tonight," I whispered and closed my eyes to go into a deep sleep.