Chapter 25

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Daehyun's POV~

Even after a week, I didn't talk to anyone at all. Luhan would talk here and there with Hanbyul and that angered me out of jealousy, but I didn't do anything about when I usually would. I just sat quietly at my desk, blankly staring out the window at the soccer field when someone caught my eyes that snapped me out of it for a bit.

"Yoo Youngjae?" I whispered, pushing myself up from my seat. I walked towards the window and looked at the person walking towards the school with his shirt untucked and his school bag slung over his shoulders; he looked like a completely new person. That can't be him....

"Everyone, take your seats, class is about to start," Mr. Chae said, banging his book onto the podium. I looked at Youngjae's seat and saw that it was empty. "I'll start taking attendance."

"W-wait!" I shouted from my seat. The class turned to look at me as Mr. Chae groaned. "Can't you wait just a bit before taking attendance?"

"And why would I do that?" he scoffed and started calling out names. Hanbyul poked my side and asked, "What were you doing?"

"He can't take attendance yet," I said, tapping my foot anxiously. "Once he takes attendance and a person walks in through those doors, he'll be tardy."

"And who is this per-"

"Yoo Youngjae," Mr. Chae called. No response. "Yoo Youngjae?"

The door slid open and Youngjae appeared.

"I'm here," he said, glaring at Mr. Chae. Whispers were heard throughout the room as Youngjae took his seat. He didn't look like my shadow anymore; he no longer wore those big glasses, his hair wasn't black anymore and his uniform wasn't correctly worn. Youngjae threw his backpack besides his desk and sat down, slouching.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/29b4ad17d66764da522d9ab8fc66c1f6/tumblr_mof2q8YqQa1r40646o1_500.png

"Youngjae?" Mr. Chae said, he too couldn't believe it. "This is your first tardy ever and what's with that look? You know it's against school rules to loosen your shirt."

"School rules my ," he scoffed and looked at me. "This isn't the first time you've dealed with a student like this."

"But you-"

"What?" Youngjae asked with a glare. "I'm different? I shouldn't be acting this way because I'm this school's number one student? I'm the pride of this school? That's nothing, but bullsh-"

"Yoo Youngjae!" Mr. Chae shouted, startling everyone, even me. "In my office. Now!"

Youngjae scoffed and grabbed his bag, swinging it over his shoulder and glanced back at me, then walked out the door.

"Luhan, finish up attendance and you, Jung Daehyun, follow me," Mr. Chae said as I widened my eyes.

"Me?!" I asked as he didn't say anything and stomped away. "What the hell did I do?"

"Just go," Hanbyul said with a soft smile. "I'm sure it's nothing bad."

"Everything's bad with Mr. Chae," I grumbled and walked out of the classroom to his office.

Youngjae and I sat in Mr. Chae's office in silence. I looked at Youngjae, who looked at me with a smirk, which got my blood flowing, but before I could do anything or say anything to him, Mr. Chae walked in. He took a seat in front of us and folded his hands, staring each one of us down.

"Yesterday you were a perfect a student, but then today you're another Daehyun," Mr. Chae said to Youngjae. "What happened to you?"

"As time changes, people change," he replied, staring directly at Mr. Chae with a firm expression. "I don't see a problem in change."

"I do. The school does. Your mathematics team does," he said, slamming his hands on his desk. "I'm going to be very honest with you, you were our school's pride. You were what made this school proud, you gave this school a good view of education, but you totally ruined it. You ruined the school."

"One single person can't ruin a school full of 500 students. Just because I was number one doesn't mean I represent this damn school," Youngjae said, raising his voice a bit. I looked at Youngjae, who had fierce eyes. "Think about the other students who try so hard to be number one in this school, the ones who haven't given up in life yet; they can be your new school pride."

Mr. Chae heavily huffed and glared at me as I glared back.

"What exactly did you do to him?" Mr. Chae asked through clenched teethes.

"Me?" I scoffed in disbelief. "I want to know that answer myself."

"It's because of you and your bad influence that Youngjae turned out to be you!" he shouted, making the other teachers in the office stare. "Everyone knows he's your follower. Students have been telling me that you've even tried to get Youngjae to smoke with you and do things he shouldn't be doing."

I widened my eyes and that hit the spot. I slammed my hands on his desk and stood up, glaring down at him. I clenched my fist and jaw, feeling my heart beat fast of anger.

"Smoke?!" I firmly asked. "Never in my life have I touched anything so disgusting. It's been over a month since I've last hung out with Youngjae too!"

"Those students saw it themselves-"

"Who are those students?" I asked, heavily breathing. "What evidence do they have when I haven't even left my ing house since then?!"

"Jung Daehyun!!" Mr. Chae shouted, also slamming his hands on the desk to push himself off his chair to stand. "Shut that trap of yours."

I scoffed and glared down to Youngjae.

"Why aren't you saying anything? Tell him I didn't try to get you to smoke or do anything stupid!" I shouted with my fist clenched, ready to punch either him or Mr. Chae. "Hurry and tell him!!"

"It's true that he doesn't smoke and that he didn't try to get me to smoke," he said as I felt relieved. "But he did try to get me to fight some guys."

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"Daehyun taught me how to fight, but I didn't like it because I couldn't stand violence," he said, looking up at me with a hidden smirk.

"Is that so," Mr. Chae said and looked at me. "You see how bad of an influence you are to our students? It's good you don't smoke, but you trying to get him to fight is just as bad."

"I didn't teach him to fight for the heck of it, it was for self-defense," I said through clenched teethes. "We all know he was always being bullied and always beatened up, so I stepped in and taught him the basics of self-defense."

"Do you think I'd believe that?" Mr. Chae asked as I grabbed his collar. "Yah! Get your hands off of me!"

"Why don't you ing believe me?!" I shouted as teachers stepped in, pulling me off of Mr. Chae, but I wasn't letting go that easily. "You know me better than my parents do! You used to believe every single word I said because you knew I was right! Why don't you believe me now?!"

I released Mr. Chae's collar and pushed the male teachers off of me. I glared at him then to Youngjae.

"I trusted the two of you. I may have not showed it, but I trusted you two the most. I really thought you both were someone I could cherish as family, but I guess I was wrong. I shouldn't have trusted you two so easily because you're just like the rest of them," I said with my eyes tearing up. "Believe or not, but I'm saying this for the last time. I don't know why Youngjae turned out like this, I don't smoke or do anything I know I'd regret and the fists I used for Youngjae, was all for self-defense and to protect him."

I let a tear fall and stomped out the office, back to the classroom. I wiped my eyes before entering the room and when I did, it went dead silent. i didn't look at any of the students and headed straight to my desk, grabbing my bag and walked out.

"Jung Daehyun!" I heard Hanbyul's voice call out to me, but I didn't stop walking. "Dae-"

"Daehyun," I heard a low voice say my name. I immediately stopped walking and looked behind me to see Principle Oh looking at me with firm eyes. He walked towards me and hand me a piece of paper. "Due to the aggression towards Mr. Chae, you're suspended for 2 weeks. Show this letter to your parents."

"Suspended?" I scoffed. I crumbled up the paper and threw it at the ground. "Expell me instead."

"Why would we want to expell you?" he asked. "I know you're having a hard time, but don't let out your anger onto someone else, especially a teacher."

"Then would you rather I let it out on Youngjae?" I asked and walked away without hearing another word from him. Yoo Youngjae...why did you change? Was it really because of me?

Luhan's POV~

During lunch I couldn't stop thinking about what happened with Youngjae and Daehyun. I sat with some classmates when I overheard them talking about it.

"Did you hear? Daehyun's suspended," Chanyeol said with his big, round eyes. "I heard he beat up Mr. Chae."

"Really?" the others chorused.

"He even has the guts to do that," Chen scoffed. "He's really one scary guy."

"I even told Mr. Chae that Daehyun smoked and that he also tried to get Youngjae to smoke," Kai smirked. "Maybe he got mad over that and tried to get at Mr. Chae for accusing him of smoking."

I widened my eyes and looked at them.

"You did what?" I asked as they all looked at me.

"I lied that Daehyun smoked," he repeated as I leaned over to grab his collar. "Yah, what's the big deal?!"

"What has he done to you that you made up such a lie?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"You act as if I was the one who suspended him," Kai said, standing up and grabbed onto my collar. "Youngjae was the one who said Daehyun taught him how to fight and so Mr. Chae accused him of being a bad influence."

I gripped onto his collar then pushed him away. I looked at him then the others one last time before heading out to find Youngjae. I ran around the school to look for him, but he was no where in sight. Where could he be at this time? Where would Daehyun be?...Ah, the roof top.

I ran up to the roof top and just as I thought, he was there sitting on the edge of the wall.

"Yoo Youngjae!" I shouted at him as he turned around to look at me. He really did look different from his old appearnce, he no longer looked weak or nerdy.

"What is it Luhan-ssi?" he asked with a smirk. I feel my blood pumping at the sight of Youngjae's smirk. "Are you here because of what I said about Daehyun?"

"Why did you make up lie?" I asked as he hopped off the wall and walked towards me.

"What lie?" he asked, with a face that was playing the dumb game. "Ahh~ you must be talking about when I told Mr. Chae that Daehyun was the one who taught me how to be violent."

"He didn't teach you to be violent!" I shouted as he scoffed.

"What makes you so sure of that?" he asked, now standing a few inches away from me.

"Because I was the one who taught him that the fist shouldn't used to be reckless and that it should only be used for self-defense," I answered, but Youngjae laughed at that.

"You were the one who taught him that?!" he laughed hysterically, then in a split second his face went back to its normal form. "Then why did you use your fist recklessly?"

"What did you say?" I asked as he slowly took steps towards me.

"Don't act as if you don't remember what you did to him 2 years ago," he said with a dark tone. "He was hospitalized because of those fist of yours, don't you remember?"

"How-"

"Hyung told me," he smirked. "But going back to what you said, you should have been the one to listen to your own words. And to think you two were best friends."

"And to think you were a loyal friend of his," I smirked back. "Wait, you weren't a friend; you were nothing but a follower, a shadow that he couldn't get rid of."

He narrowed his eyes at me as I glared at him with my head held up high.

"I know Daehyun a whole lot better than you and I know he's not a bad person. It's true that I didn't listen to my own words of violence, but he did and I know he won't harm a person he doesn't want to," I said and stepped closer to him as he stepped back. "Today will one of those days where I won't be listening to those words again."

"W-what are you saying?" Youngjae asked as I clenched my fist and smirked.

"I'll be using these fists again, not on Daehyun, but for him," I said and grabbed his collar as he gasped.

"A-are you really going to ruin your image like this? You're the school Prince!" he shouted as I gripped tighter onto his collar.

"Our school pride already ruined his image, so why not have the school Prince ruin his?" I asked and raised my fist up.

"H-help me! Someone help me!" Youngjae shouted of terror.

"Keep shouting, by the time someone gets up here you'll already be in a mess," I ghostly whispered and was about to swing at him when someone did show up. I glanced back to see a male students with wide eyes. I smirked and dropped my arm down, but I wasn't going to just end it like that. I punched Youngjae in the stomach and within seconds the students pulled me back and teachers came running out to help Youngjae up. I pushed myself free from the male students' grip and looked at Youngjae.

"Let me tell you something, you didn't turn into Daehyun, you turned into me," I said. "You're now the bad guy and you'll regret it; you'll live your life full of regrets and emptiness. You may think you're living the perfect life of being handsome and having people take your side, but once you finally realize that your one and only friend you trusted and cared for hates you, you'll regret it all."

Youngjae didn't say anything as he was still in pain and the teachers dragged me away. Later that day, I was sent home and suspended.