Chapter 40

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Hanbyul's POV~

The next day, I arrived to school and took my seat, taking out my textbooks and pencil bag. I glanced at Daehyun's empty seat and wondered if he would be coming to school knowing that he was finally, yet slowly, starting to open up the heart he had been locking up the past few years. I continued to stare at the empty seat when the classroom door slid open; I turned my attention to the person and saw Daehyun. I smiled to him as he averted his eyes and walked towards me. 

"I didn't think you'd come today," I said as he was taking out his textbooks and supplies. 

"Of course I have to come, my parents would kill me if I ditched school again," he replied with his usual, annoyed tone. I just giggled and stared at him. He leaned in his chair and looked at me. 

"What are you staring at?" he asked crossing his arms. "And what's with that smile?"

I didn't say anything, but he knew very well himself why I was like this; he knew I was happy for him. 

"Just because I told you about my past last night doesn't mean I'm going to forgive Luhan," he said with a soft voice. "And with Youngjae...I still can't forgive him for what he did to you."

I sighed and scooted my seat closer to him. 

"Are you sure about that?" I asked as he gave no reaction. "Why are you holding yourself back again?"

"I just can't forgive them...," he trailed off with his eyes down on his lap. He gave off that sad expression, the same one from last night that only I saw. "I'm afraid that if I forgive them...then they'll just betray me again."

I felt my heart squeeze tight as I wanted him to know that everything will be alright. That there will no longer be any betrayals between them. 

"Dae-" 

The school bell rang and everyone scrambled into their seats. I positioned myself back to my original spot and glanced at Daehyun, who kept his head down. I turned my attention to Luhan, but his seat was empty. I wondered where and what he was doing; he's not the type to skip school either. 

Just before the teacher entered the classroom, I heard students murmuring. I wouldn't have paid much attention to them if they hadn't mentioned Luhan's name. 

"Did you watch the news broadcast last night?" a male student whispered to his friends. 

"I saw it!" another whispered. "Luhan's father was caught gambling illegally! Not to mention, but he lost all of his money and fortune!"

"Poor Luhan," a female student said with pity. 

"I can't believe the richest kid in our school, became the poorest," another female student laughed. I felt my blood boil as clenched my fist on my desk. I turned to Daehyun, who still had his head down, but I knew he was listening to them as I saw his jaw muscle move. 

Luhan's POV~

I stood in front of the TV as the news had already spread last night. 

"...it has been said that Mr. --- has been gambling since the beginning of this year..." an announcer spoke through the TV. I felt my chest grow heavy as I watched my father come out of the courthouse with reporters all over him asking all these questions. His lawyer had covered his face up the best that he could, but the media still got what they wanted. 

I couldn't watch anymore, so I turned the TV off and went straight to my room. I didn't even want to think about my father's situation or school; I didn't want to think about anything overall. I placed my arm over my eyes and felt my chest squeeze. 

"What am I going to do now?" I whispered my thought.

For the rest of the day, I laid in my bed when it was time to head out for work. I put on my work uniform and with a deep breath, I left the house and went to work. I was well known in my neighborhood, so the stares and murmurs didn't stop as I walked down the street...it was embarrassing. 

I got to work and felt more stares coming from every direction. 

"Luhan!" I heard my manager call my name. I looked over to him as he gave me an encouraging smile. I forced a smile and walked to the back with my head low. 

"Yah, don't be so ashamed of something you didn't do," my manager said nudging me. "It's an individual thing, it shouldn't rub off onto you."

"I know, but still...he's my father," I softly said as he sighed. He didn't know what to say, so he gently squeezed my shoulder. 

"I know it's hard for you, but don't let it ruin the mood for work. Don't let it ruin you," he said and left to assist customers. I stood by the cash register helping customers as I could hear them speaking about me and my father even  if they didn't know us. Still, I forced a smile and pretended that I didn't hear them. 

An hour or so went by and I heard that one voice I wanted to hear all day. 

"Oppa~!" Hanbyul shouted as she entered the cafe. This time I wasn't forcing a smile.

She walked towards me and leaned on the counter, pulling something out from her backpack. She must have just finished her study sessions with Sulli and Krystal. 

"I took today's notes for you since you didn't show up," she said, handing me a pink notebook. I thanked her as she grinned at me. 

"Why are you grinning at me like that?" I asked. 

"Well~~~ to be honest, it was Daehyun who copied down the notes," she said with a bright smile, then softened her expression. "You know, he's really worried about you."

"Worried? That doesn't sound like him," I said wanting to believe it. 

"But he really is!" she said with a serious tone. "You should know him the most that he has a weird way of worrying about others!"

I thought about and she was right; he does worry about others weird. He doesn't show it, but he does things that expresses his concern. 

"Although it's true, he still hates me," I said. 

"That's not tru-"

"Yah, stop holding up the line!" a female customer shouted from behind. Hanbyul apologized and moved over to the side as I helped the customer. 

"Oppa, that's not true. Daehyun doesn't hate you at all, he's just afraid," she said while I was preparing the customer's drink. "Just give him time."

"Hanbyul," I softly said her name once I handed the customer her drink and she walked off. I turned to Hanbyul and weakly smiled. "I don't have the time to be waiting for him anymore. Now, if you aren't going to buy anything then leave."

I turned away as she whispered, "Luhan, oppa...."

I give a response and so I heard her footsteps fade and the cafe door open and close. I glanced behind me and she was gone. I felt my chest tighten as I continued to work. 

Daehyun's POV~

I sat on a bench in front of a clothing store waiting for Hanbyul to return from a quick errand. I heard heavy footsteps and looked over to the person only to see that it was Hanbyul. 

"Took you long enough," I said standing up as she gave me a glare. "What?"

"Why are you and your friend so complicated and depressed?!" she shouted, angry. I looked at her flustered. 

"What are you talking about?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows. She didn't say anything, but there was a lot going on in her head. "Hanbyul, did the errand involve Luhan?"

"Why would it?" she asked with crossed arms and a pout. She must be really angry. 

"Because his workplace is in this area," I said pointing in the direction she came from. "Not to mention, it's in the direction you just walked from."

She looked behind her then back to me, swallowing hard. I sighed and moved closer to her. 

"Why did you go see him?" I asked, but she didn't reply and turned away. "You didn't go there to comfort him because of his current situation, did you? Hanbyul, tell me."

"M-maybe-"

"Don't tell me 'maybe', I want a 'yes' or a 'no'," I firmly said as she looked at me. 

"Yes and no!" she replied with annoyance. "I went to give him the notes you took for him today and to tell him that you're worried about him since you can't do it yourself!"

I sighed in disbelief. "Why?"

"Wouldn't you like to know that someone is worried about you in a situation like his? That you're not alone?" she asked. "And don't lie to me or to yourself."

She looked in my eyes for an answer, but I couldn't answer her so I turned away. 

"Go home," I said. 

"Eh?"

"It's late, so go home," I repeated myself. I didn't give her the chance to reply and walked passed her. I didn't hear her following me, but that's what I hoped for; I didn't want her to follow me. 

I stood in front of Luhan's workplace and watched him through the window. He was working hard with such a fake smile that I scoffed in disgust. 

"Forcing such a smile is such a pain," I muttered and entered the cafe. I went straight to to him as he looked at me with shock. 

"Anything warm is fine," I said before he could even ask for my order. He nodded and turned to the back counter to make my drink. 

"Did you hear that his father is in jail for gambling illegally?" I heard a female customer "whisper" to her friend. They started gossiping to one another about Luhan and his father. I couldn't stand it, so I turned to them giving them a glare which made them stop their conversation. 

"Here's you mocha," Luhan said. "Anything else you need?"

I handed him cash for my drink and looked up at him. "Hyung."

"I'm sorry?" he asked, confused. 

"You asked me if I needed anything else and I replied," I said and walked away. Before I walked out though, I turned back to face him. "Don't let something like this stop you from coming to school. Taking notes for two is a pain in the a$$ for me."

"Daehyun!" he shouted just when I opened the door, but I stopped to hear him out. "Thank you!"

I didn't say anything and walked out, but I felt my chest become lighter. I scoffed a smile and touched my fringes. 

"What's with the 'thank you'?" I whispered and walked home with light steps.