Chapter 1

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

 

[A/N]: Daehyun's thoughts are RED
          Luhan's thoughts are BLUE
          Hanbyul's thoughts are PINK
 
Daehyun's POV~
 
"I'm afraid to be alone...."
 
"Everything's going to be alright because I'll be with you. You won't be alone anymore~! That's what friends are for!"
 
----------
 
"Daehyun-ah, wake up. You're still in class right now," Youngjae's voice was heard as I was dreaming again. I felt his hands on my shoulder, shaking me. "Wake up or else Mr. Chae will-"
 
"Jung Daehyun!" I heard the old man's voice boom, making my head hurt. I slowly rose my head up to see him standing up in front of the classroom with his 36 meter ruler with crossed arms. "Are you sleeping again?!"
 
"No, he wasn't!" Youngjae defended me. "He was-"
 
"Yeah I was," I said, now fulling sitting up in my chair. "You got a problem with that?"
 
"You know you're not supposed to sleep in class! Especially in my class!" he shouted while waving his ruler in front of him. I scoffed and leaned back in my chair, kicking my legs up on my desk just to piss him off. 
 
"I'm sorry, but your voice is just so nasally and boring that I just had to sleep," I said, picking my ear as his face was now getting red. 
 
"That's it! You have after school cleaning duties!" he yelled and wrote my name down on the chalk board. 
 
"Awwh~ come on old geezer, this isn't the first time I've done this," I said with a playful smirk.
 
"And for sure this isn't your last time!" Mr. Chae yelled and glared at me. "Now sit up properly and tuck in your shirt! Get rid of that attitude of yours too!"
 
"Not until you get rid of that ugly voice of yours," I said, making the students snicker. He narrowed his eyes at me and stomped up to me, grabbing my collar shirt and pulling me up. "What do you think you're doing? Are you going to beat me? You know that's violating school rules, right?"
 
He glared at me then let me go, pushing me aside. He then walked back up to the front of the class and looked back at me. 
 
"As much as I want to beat you right now I can't, so you're lucky," Mr. Chae said and turned back to the chalk board. "Lets start our lesson."
 
I snickered and sat down in my seat, kicking my feet back up on the desk when I felt someone watching me. I looked around the room when I met eyes with him. 
 
"Luhan, can you please answer this question for me?" Mr. Chae asked as his eyes left mine and faced forward. 
 
"The answer is 531 sq. meters," he answered while Mr. Chae smiled proudly and wrote down the answer. I could tell Luhan was looking at me again, but he didn't turn his whole body around to look, he was just looking from the corner of his eyes. 
 
School was over with and I was getting ready to leave when someone grabbed my backpack, holding me back. I turned around and met eyes with Mr. Chae, letting out a yelp from his sudden appearance. 
 
"You have cleaning duties to finish up in the boy's bathroom," he said as I grabbed his hand, yanking it away from my backpack. 
 
"Do you really think I'll do it? When do I ever show up for my cleaning duties?" I asked him. He blinked at me then scratched his bald spot. "I'll tell you...never. Now if you'd excuse me, I'm going home."
 
"Home? Are you finally going back home?" he asked with a soft, yet surprised tone. "Or are you just saying that?"
 
"Don't interfere in my personal matters and worry about yourself," I said, walking away when he called out my name. 
 
"Daehyun-ah, your parents are really worried about you. Just go home will ya?" he asked as I turned to face him. 
 
"I do go home, but they're never there when I'm home. I'm always alone," I said and his face softened. 
 
"I understand that your parents are busy people and that you're always alone, but please just go home. They really care for you," he said as I scoffed. 
 
"Again, don't interfere in my personal life and just continue with your life. I will go home when I want to," I said and started walking away. 
 
"Watching you grow up till now...You've really changed Daehyun," Mr. Chae said, but I ignored him and left the school building. 
 
I got to the school gate, seeing a thin figure kicking at the little rocks on the ground. I could already tell that it was my "shadow."
 
"Yah! Yoo Youngjae!" I called his name as he turned abruptly. "What are you still doing here? Shouldn't you be home studying?"
 
"Uh, well," he started to say, pushing his glasses up. "I wanted to hang out with hyung today."
 
"Hang out? I don't think you should hang out with a person like me. Like every teacher says, I'm a bad influence on all the students," I said with a chuckle and started walking with him trailing behind.  
 
"I-I don't think you're a bad influence on anyone," he said, making me stop walking while he walked right into me. I turned around and looked down at him, then smiled. 
 
"I'm glad someone agrees with me," I said and ruffled his hair. "What do you say we go and get something to drink then?"
 
"That sounds nice~!" he chimed and so we headed to a nearby corner store. 
 
It was getting darker by the minute and Youngjae hasn't left my side. We sat under the shining stars on a hill at the park and looked out at the city lights. 
 
"Youngjae, you should be heading home. It's late," I softly said, tucking my knees up to my chest. He looked at me with wide eyes. 
 
"I can't leave you though! What if something happens?!" he asked as I chuckled. 
 
"I'm fine. You go home since you're physically weaker. Bad people come out at this hour and you wouldn't be able to defend yourself. And me, I'll be fine alone," I muffled under my arm and glanced at him. He looked somewhat disappointed. "Would you like me to take you home?"
 
"Uh, no," he said, getting up. "I don't want hyung to see me as a weakling. I'll be going home now and so should you."
 
"I will," I said and looked back out to the city. 
 
"I'll see you tomorrow at school then," he said and walked away. I sighed and stood up, walking to a nearby bench. 
 
"I've been away from home for 3 days now. Maybe it's time for me to go back, but if I do umma and appa won't to be there. Appa's at the hospital, due to all the surgeries while umma is always at the office trying to find a way to win her victim's case," I softly said, sitting on the bench. "I'll just give it a few more days. I'm sure they wouldn't mind."