Chapter 8

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Hanbyul's POV~

"I'll be going now," I said and bowed to the family. "I'll be back before 9PM."

"Just have fun with your friends," my mother said and I nodded. I walked out with Krystal and Sulli, heading to the bus stop to get to the karaoke center.

"Did you tell your parents that there was going to be boys there?" Sulli asked as I shook my head. "Bwoh?! Why not?!"

"I couldn't tell them. If I did then I wouldn't have been able to come and hang out with you guys," I said with a soft smile. "By the way, how many boys are going to be there?"

"About 12 of them," Krystal said once the bus got there.

"12?!" I loudly gasped as they got on, looking down at me. "There's going to be that many?!"

They exchanged looks and nodded. I blinked and couldn't believe there'd be that many.

"Are you going to get on Hanbyul?" Sulli asked as I snapped out of it and nodded, getting on. "I'm guessing you're a bit nervous since there would be that many, huh?"

"Just a bit," I said with an uneasy smile. Krystal wrapped her arms around my shoulder and smiled.

"Don't be nervous. We know these guys and they're not bad at all," she said and played with her cell. "It's just Luhan who's bad."

"He doesn't seem that bad though," I said as they snickered. "He's only bad when he rejects girls."

"That's true," they both said and soon then it was our stop. We all got off and started walking towards the building when I saw Luhan with these tall guys. We both met eyes and my heart was pounding against my chest. I placed my hand over my chest and inhaled. What's with this feeling I'm getting?

"Oppa~!!" Krystal and Sulli shouted, startling me. They ran up to the boys as I took my time to get to them.

"Hey girls," the tallest of them all said with a player grin, then he looked at me. "Oh, this must be the transferred student. Hanbyul, am I right?"

"Uh, yeah that's right," I said with a slight smile. "And you are?"

"Ahh~ I'm Kris. It's nice to meet you," he said with a smile and looked at the others. "These guys here are Chen, Xiumin, Tao, Baekhyun, Kai, Chanyeol, Suho, Sehun, Lay, Kyungsoo and as you should know, Luhan."

I couldn't process their names into my head that quick, but I greeted them anyways.

"Well, shall we go in and get started? I've been wanting to hear Krystal's voice all day," Baekhyun said with an eye smile. Krystal glared at him and walked in with Kris as we followed behind. We got a room and they started immediately, especially Chanyeol and Baekhyun. I just sat next to Sulli and watched them jump around the room, singing loudly. I couldn't help, but take small glances at Luhan as he sat there with Sehun and tapping the tambourine on his lap. He then turned his head my way and we met eyes again. He smiled at me and just contiued to stare at me when I broke off the eye contact.

"Hey, I'm gonna go to the bathroom. I'll be right back," I said to Sulli as loud as I can over Chanyeol's screaming. She just nodded and I got up, walking past 4 boys and out of the room. Being out was refreshing, considering how quickly it got hot in that room.

I started walking around the building to find the bathroom when I did. I did my thing and came back out forgetting how I even got to the bathroom. I continued to walk around when I heard someone singing beautifully. I followed the voice and noticed that it was coming from the room at the end of the hallway I was in. I continued to walk towards it when I hadn't noticed I opened the door to see who was in it and I was surprised to see who it was.

"D-Daehyun?" I whispered as he was singing alone. The room was completely empty, just him and some juice to drink. The song was coming to an end and finished it perfectly, still not noticing my presence. He sighed and looked my way with wide eyes.

"You?!" he shouted, standing up from his seat. "What are you doing here?!"

"I-I was j-just walking by and I heard you singing," I quietly said as he turned off the music that had already begun. He glared at me, making me feel nervous. "Y-you have a wonderful voice Daehyun."

"Say what?" he asked with an eyebrow raised.

"I said you have a wonderful voice," I repeated and he scoffed.

"I didn't mean that because I know I have an amazing voice. I was talking about what you called me," he said approaching me. I stepped back and hit my back against the wall, hanging my head low.

"I called you by your name, Daehyun," I said as he was now standing right in front of me. He pressed both his palms against the wall on each side of my face, leaning down to meet eyes.

"Don't call me Daehyun, got it? We don't know each other, so let's not act like we do," he whispered. I could feel his warm breath on my lips, making my palms sweat. "People I don't know or hate who call me Daehyun are really annoying. Sitting next to you is enough already."

I nodded and looked away as he pushed himself off the wall. He turned away and sat back down in his seat.

"You can go now. I'd like to be alone," he said and glared at me.

"You really came alone?" I asked as his glare got  harder and more scary. "Got it. I'll be leaving now. Uh, I'll see you around school."

He didn't say anything and so I walked out, closing the door behind me to hear him singing again. His voice really is beautiful that I just wanted to stand outside of the door to hear him sing, but that would be too creepy so I left. I turned the corner when I bumped into someone.

"Oh, Hanbyul," someone said as I looked up to see Luhan smiling down at me. "I was starting to worry about you since you were taking quite a long time. I'm glad I found you though."

I just nodded and we both walked back to the room when I noticed that he kept looking back down the hallway behind us.

"Were you looking for someone else?" I asked him as he looked at me with round eyes.

"No, I was really looking for you. It's just that voice..." he softly said with a smile. "It hasn't changed a bit."

"Who, Daehyun?" I curiously asked as he shook his head.

"It's no one," he said and ruffled my hair. "Let's just head back and join the others. I promised them that I'd sing once I found you."

"You sing too?" I asked with wide eyes. He chuckled and shook his head.

"I just do it for the fun of it, but I'm not that good of a singer like him," he said with a faint smile. Him? I wonder who he's talking about...

Once we got back to the room, Suho pulled Luhan up to the front of the room and handed him the microphone.

"It's your time,"  he smiled at Luhan and sat down as I did too, next to Krystal.

"Where did you go? You took so long that you missed out on almost everything," she said once the music began.

"I was just wondering around," I said, but she didn't hear me because of Luhan's voice. I widened my eyes and he also had an amazing voice. It was really soothing actually, just like Daehyun's.

"Wow, this is my first time hearing him sing. He's really good," Sulli said with hanging low, amazed. Luhan was singing a ballad and so I looked at everyone as they waved their hands back and forth up in the air. I then looked at Luhan and we once again met eyes, making my heart pound against my chest once again. He smiled at me while singing and winked.

"Did he really just wink at you?" Sehun asked leaning over Sulli to me. I just stared at him blankly. "Hyung must really like you."

"Like me?" I asked as he nodded.

"We told him that we were going to hang out and he didn't want to come, but when we brought up your name he was up and ready to go," Sehun said with an adorable smile.

"Is that so..." I quietly said and looked at Luhan again. He was passionately singing his heart out and would always look at me from time to now. I would even hear the others snickering besides me.

We finished up our fun and headed seperate ways. I walked with Krystal and Sulli to the bus stop to see Daehyun waiting there as well, listening to music.

"Isn't that Daehyun?" Krystal asked, pointing at him. Sulli and I both nodded and slowly approached him.

"For some reason I feel so unsafe with him here this late at night," Sulli said hanging onto Krystal's arm.

"I'm sure he's not like that," I said with a smile and we stood next to Daehyun. He didn't show any reaction at all, but I could hear his music blasting up now. The bus soon came and we all got on, one by one everyone leaving. I was the only one left in the bus, but I was alone with Daehyun. We sat a few seats away from each other, he still listening to his music while I just watched him from afar. From here he looked really lonely, but it's best not to go and talk to him.

My bus stop then came and I got off along with Daehyun getting off. I looked at him surprised and he looked down at me surprised too.

"You live around here too?" we both asked at the same time. I scratched my neck as he scratched his head.

"I live around here. I live with my grandma and cousins," I said with a smile. He just nodded and walked away. "So, where do you live?"

"Didn't I tell you not to talk to be so casually?" he asked looking down at me.

"Oh yeah...I'm sorry," I said and we both were walking besides each other.

"Can you not walk besides me either?" he asked, not looking at me. I looked up at him and slowed down my steps, now walking behind him. "This feels weird now. It's almost as if you're stalking me home."

"I'm not!" I said as he glanced back to me.

"I know, but it's just a weird feeling," he said and faced back forward. I continued to walk behind him when I saw Yongguk waiting outside of the house.

"Oppa~!" I called out to him to have Daehyun look at me.

"What did you say?" he asked as I ran past him to Yongguk.

"Were you waiting for me oppa?" I asked him as he nodded and smiled. "I'm sorry I came later than I told you guys I would. I was having too much fun with my friends."

"It's alright, as long as you had fun with your new friends," he said and ruffled my hair then looked past me. "Is he one of your friends?"

I looked behind me and saw Daehyun walking towards us with his head hung low, then he walked right past us.

"Oh him? He's a classmate," I said. "His name's Daehyun."

"I see," Yongguk said and we entered the house. "So, what did you guys do?"

"We sung all night," I said sitting on the couch. "Are my parents asleep?"

"Yeah, they were waiting up on you, but I told them I would since they have work tomorrow," he said and sat next to me. "You should be sleeping too since you've got school tomorrow."

I nodded and got up from the couch, heading into my room to see halmeoni still awake while reading a book.

"Halmeoni, what are you doing up?" I asked, sitting down next to her. She smiled at me and showed my the book she was reading. "Why aren't you asleep yet?"

"I was waiting for you," she said and took off her glasses, shutting the book. "Did you have fun with your friends?"

"Of course I did. I'm really liking the people here," I said with a smile as she giggled. She brushed my hair and smiled, creating beautiful wrinkles near her eyes.

"I'm glad you're liking it here. Let's get some sleep, what do you say?" she asked as I nodded. I helped her lay the blankets out and we both went to bed.

Daehyun's POV~

"Why did I get a weird feeling when I thought she called me oppa?" I questioned while laying in bed looking up at the stars as they lit up in my room. I sighed and rolled onto my side thinking about ealier when Luhan was singing. I was there when he was singing and yet his voice still hasn't changed one bit. He probably would have said the same thing to me if he heard me sing.