Chapter 11

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

 

Daehyun's POV~
 
"...you have to do this, then cancel these two out," Youngjae said, but I was too much in a daze to even care what he was doing. "Hyung, are you paying attention?"
 
"Yeah," I lied, but he knew me well enough. 
 
"Really? Then tell me what you do next," he asked, pushing his glasses up as I just stared at him. 
 
"Aish, why do we have to study? I hate math and every other subject," I said getting up from my chair, then laid on my bed. "You study on your own then leave once you're done."
 
"What? But what about the tests tomorrow?" he asked. I ignored him and rolled onto my side with my back facing him. "Are you really not going to study?"
 
I didn't answer and closed my eyes when Hanbyul kept popping up in my head. 
 
"You've got to be kidding me," I said opening my eyes. 
 
"What'd you say?" Youngjae asked. 
 
"It's nothing," I said and closed my eyes again to have her face pop up again. "Aish! Seriously!"
 
"Hyung, what's wrong with you?" Youngjae asked. I groaned and sat in my bed. 
 
"I'm going to buy something to drink, would you like anything?" I asked as he got up from his seat. 
 
"I'll go with you-"
 
"No, you stay and study. Keep being number one in our school," I said and walked out of my room and down the stairs. I walked out of the house and walked down the street. "Will he be okay home alone? Especially in my house?"
 
I looked back at the house then decided to trust him alone, I mean he may be weak but he's not a kid. I turned the corner and saw Hanbyul walking out her house with Luhan, so I hid behind a trash can. 
 
"I forgot she lives near me," I mumbled and looked at the two, walking down the street. I was heading the same way anyways so I decided to follow behind, keeping my distance though. They then stopped at the corner and looked at each other, so I hid behind a wall. 
 
"Thanks for today," I heard Luhan say. 
 
"Uh, yeah no problem," Hanbyul said. I peeked out a bit and saw them smiling at each other. 
 
"I'm sorry about my family. You probably think I'm weird like them now, huh?" she asked as he chuckled. 
 
"Why would I think that? I like your family, they're fun to be with," he said. "Oh and thanks for letting me study with you at your house."
 
"Yeah, anytime Luhan," she smiled and they stood there in silence. "Well, I could only walk you this far so goodnight and get home safely."
 
"I will," he said and waved her goodbye as she walked towards me. I widened eyes and bent my knees, hiding behind the wall hoping she wouldn't see me. Luckily she didn't and just walked right past me, making me sigh in relief. I walked out of my hiding spot and started walking down the street where Luhan had left, turning the corner bumping into someone. 
 
"Daehyun," Luhan's voice said, making me look up to meet his eyes. "Were you hiding this whole entire time?"
 
"What? Why would I?" I scoffed and walked past him. 
 
"Don't lie to me, I clearly saw you looking at us," he said walking behind me. 
 
"That wasn't me," I lied and entered the corner store. "Stop following me too."
 
"Why? Can I not follow my best friend?" he asked, making my heart tighten. 
 
"We're not best friends, we're not even friends," I said and walked away from him, but he still followed me around the store. I getting annoyed, but what could I do? 
 
"Why were you at Hanbyul's house?" I suddenly asked, not knowing why I did. 
 
"Hanbyul? We were studying," he said picking things out for himself. 
 
"Studying? Are you sure because the term 'studying' means something else," I said while heading to the cashier. 
 
"Yep, her family even watched us study," he snickered and paid to his things. We both walked out of the store and began walking home, but his house was the opposite direction of mine. 
 
"Why are you following me home? It's annoying," I said glaring at him, but he ignored me. "What, are you some sort of stalker?"
 
"Yeah you can say so," he said as I scoffed in disbelief. "By the way, are you home alone?"
 
"Of course I am, I always am," I said, walking past Hanbyul's house. 
 
"Oh, you live by Hanbyul," he said shocked. "How nice."
 
"You talk a lot Luhan, you haven't changed at all," I said and widened my eyes. 
 
"Oh, you just-"
 
"Pretend like I didn't say that," I said and walked faster away from him. 
 
"Daehyun-ah, you're the one who hasn't changed. Still shy and embarrassed about things like this," he said as I groaned and walked faster, this time he didn't follow me home. 
 
I walked into my empty house with a lonely Youngjae in it and headed up to my room. I creaked it open and saw Youngjae asleep on the desk with his notebook and textbook everywhere. 
 
"Youngjae," I said shaking him with hand hands. "Youngjae, wake up. You need to go home."
 
He moaned and turned his head away from me, sleeping peacefully. I just stared at him then sighed. 
 
"Yoo Youngjae, what's your house number?" I asked pulling out my cell. He didn't respond so I searched his bag for something. Don't nerds like him have any emergency number in case they get lost or kidnapped? Oh~ found one.
 
I pulled out a card from his little pencil bag that had his parent's numbers and his house number. I called his house first and his mom picked up first. She sounded worried, but I assured her he was safe with me. I told her she was spending the night, so she was at ease. After informing her about Youngjae, she hung up and I looked at Youngjae. 
 
"Youngjae, I've already inform your parents," I said as he just nodded. "Sleep on my bed for tonight, it's uncomfortable to sleep like that."
 
He nodded and slowly rose up from his seat, dragging himself to my bed. I grabbed an extra blanket since I usually don't sleep with a blanket and handed it to him. 
 
"Where will you sleep hyung?" he asked in a soft voice. 
 
"I'll sleep in the living room tonight," I said and walked out, going down to the living room. I laid on the longest couch and stared up at the ceiling. 
 
"This is uncomfortable...I can't sleep without my glow in the dark stars," I said and rolled onto my side, closing my eyes to have Hanbyul smiling at me, making me open my eyes again. "Ugh, she's close enough to a glowing star. I guess I'll be able to sleep tonight."