Chapter 22

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Daehyun's POV~

After my cleaning duties with the help of Youngjae, I went straight home with him following behind. Once I reached the door steps of my house I saw the bags of junk food I had bought the other when I was covering up for Hanbyul; there was a note along with it.

Daehyun,
Sorry I didn't bring to you personally like I had promised to do, but at least I brought it. I actually had Luhan bring it over because I didn't know where you lived, I hope that doesn't bother you. Oh and also, don't live off of ramyun and cookies, it's not healthy. Whenever you want, I can come over and cook for you, a real meal~! I'll see you at school tomorrow, eat well and get some rest!!

I smiled at the note and stuck it in my pocket, heading into my house with the bags in my hands.

"Hyung, did you have someone buy you food? If you wanted food, you could've given me a call," Youngjae said following me into the kitchen. I snickered and ruffled his hair.

"Don't be stupid, I could never ask you to buy me food cause I know all you'll buy is some vitamins," I said and neatly put the ramyuns into the cupboards.

"Then that note you were smiling at...who was it from?" he asked pointing down to my pocket where the note was. I placed my hand over the pocket and smiled.

"Someone," I replied and entered the living room.

"Could that someone be Hanbyul?" he asked. I flopped on the couch and the TV. I looked at him and shrugged, "Maybe."

He pushed his glasses up and took a seat next to me.

"Hyung," he said. "I overheard Krystal and them talking about Hanbyul's birthday party-"

"Tch, who didn't? Krystal practically yelled it out to the whole class," I said with a scoff. "What about it?"

"I was just curious, are you planning to go?" he asked as I looked at him. I sat up properly and tilted my head.

"I don't know, why?" I asked. He looked down to his hands and bit his bottom lip. "Do you not want me to go?"

"Ani, it's not like that," he said shaking his hands in front of him. "It's just...this weekend is my math league tournament and I wanted you to come and support me and my team."

"Math league? Since when were you in the math league?" I asked, shocked yet amazed.

"Ever since my freshman year," he said as I face palmed myself, but I wasn't too surprised that I didn't know because I honestly didn't know anything about Youngjae.

"This weekend you say," I said as he nodded. "I'll try to make it for you."

"Chincha?!" he asked with a happy smile. I nodded and he literally hugged me. I pushed him away and cleared my throat.

"I can't guarantee it though," I said as he nodded. "Also, don't get too touchy with me."

"I understand," he said with that same happy smile, which kind of looked creepy if you looked at it long enough. I nodded and continued to watch TV with him just sitting there, staring at me.

Hanbyul's POV~

The weekend had come by quick and my parents confirmed a birthday party for me with my friends. I didn't really get to contribute much with my own decorating because they didn't want "birthday girl" to do her own decorations. I really wanted to decorate though.

"Yah, Sulli-ah, the banner goes on that wall, not that one," Krystal said pointing from one wall to the other. "Get it straight too, it's gotta look perfect for Hanbyul."

"It's only a birthday party, not a wedding," I said slouching on the couch, watching them run around the living room.

"A birthday is just as important as a wedding," she said with a pout. "I spent a lot of money on these decorations too."

I just nodded and sighed. I wonder if Daehyun or Luhan will show up....

My parents provided us food and a cake, then left to go on a date themselves so they could leave us to party with no distractions. Halmeoni left too along with Yongguk and Zelo, leaving Krystal, Sulli and I alone in the house. It was fun at first when we were doing our nails, make-up and hair but it suddenly got boring; we didn't have anything to do anymore. Krystal played with the tips of her curled hair, Sulli ate chips while I stared at my painted nails.

"Well, what should we do now?" Sulli asked scratching her head with her pinky. "Are we going to be like this all day?"

"We could go shopping, but I went earlier this week; nothing new is out," Krystal said with a bored sigh.

"We could watch a movie, I've got some American movies I brought with me," I said as they shrugged.

"That's fine, what do you have?" Krystal asked.

"Uhm, Cinderella, Snow White, Despicable Me, Tangled, Starstruck-"

"Those are all kid movies," Krystal said with an are-you-serious face. "You don't have any romance, mystery or horror?"

"I...I have The Notebook," I said as Sulli tilted her head.

"What notebook?" she asked confused. Krystal and I stared at her then laughed.

"It's a movie, pabo," Krystal laughed as Sulli nodded, still confused. "Let's just watch whatever you've got. Right now I don't even care if it's Bratz."

"Brats?" Sulli asked, making us laugh again.

Luhan's POV~

I still hadn't bought a gift for Hanbyul yet, so I was frantically searching for one before I headed to her party. From little things to huge things, they didn't seem to appeal to me in any way, shape or form. I wasn't an expert on buying things for girls, so I didn't know what she'd like. I even asked random girls on the street, but they all avoided me and ran away. Something girls like...food? Everyone loves food! But who gives a girl food for a birthday? A pet? Clothes? Undergarments?...jewelry!

I snapped my fingers at the thought of jewelry and ran to the most expensive jewelry shop. I looked through the glass cases and tried to find something she'd like, whether it was a necklace, bracelet or ring. A lot of the jewelry caught my eyes cause they just sparkled by themselves, making me want to buy everything for her, but I know she wouldn't want that. I searched a bit more when I came across one that I thought would match her.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/913798813/The-copper-jewelry-Austrian-crystal-diamond-necklace-Korean-version-of-the-ring-waiting-for-Crystal-Pendant.jpg

"Excuse me, I'd like this necklace," I said to a woman, who nodded and took it out of the glass case.

"Would you like it wrapped?" she politely asked as I nodded. "I'll be back in a minute, sir."

Once she came back, I paid for the necklace and walked straight to Hanbyul's house, proud of the present I got her. I wasn't far from her house, so I decided to walk there.

Daehyun's POV~

"Crap, I'm late!" I shouted while slipping in a sweater after a long nap. I ran down the stairs and went straight to school to see Youngjae compete in the math league competition. I ran past Hanbyul's house, giving it a quick glance, then sprinted all the way to school. I ran through the hallways and towards the gym, where it was being held. I literally slammed the door open to have everyone stare at me, even the judges. I gave them an awkward smile and rubbed the back of my neck, taking a seat in the back. I looked over the heads of the other guests to find Youngjae to see him at the front staring directly at me with a smile. I smiled to him and waved, mouthing, "I'm right on time." He just smiled and turned away to concentrate on the group that was currently on stage.

I looked at my watch and 2 hours have gone by already and Youngjae's team was just getting on stage; it was already 6 pm. I blew my fringes out of my face and tapped my foot on the floor, trying to stay calm and patient. Within the next 5 minutes, my head started bobbing up and down as it got lower and lower. I shook my head to wake myself up and left the gym a few times to get a cold drink, but nothing seemed to really help; it was plain boring. I didn't even understand these math terms the judge was speaking of or any of the contestants were talking about. I continuosly looked at my watch, hoping time would just go by faster.

"Excuse me, but do you know when this event will end?" I asked a random guy, who was sitting besides me. He, too, looked just as bored and tired as I was.

"I honestly don't know," he mumbled. I loudly sighed and looked at Youngjae, who seemed to be concentrating really hard, so hard that he probably wouldn't even notice me gone. I stuck my hands in my sweater pockets when I felt something square and hard. I pulled it out and it was a red velvet case, remembering that it was Hanbyul's birthday present I had bought the other day. Will I be able to make it to her birthday party?

I sighed and hesitated on whether to go or not. I looked up to Youngjae, meeting his eyes and smiled. I gave him thumbs up and stood up, mouthing, "I'm sorry. Good luck, my shadow."

And with that, I left the gym to see Hanbyul. I honestly felt bad for leaving him, but I knew he'd make me proud and that he'll do just fine without me there. I quickly made my way to Hanbyul's house as the sun slowly set. Getting to the front steps, I saw Luhan coming out of her house. I avoided any contact and walked up the steps. 

"The party was a bit boring without you," he said as I walked past him. 
 
"No, it was because you were there," I replied back. I heard a soft chuckle and turned around to look at him as he walked to the bottom steps and walked away. "No comeback this time?"
 
I didn't care for a comeback from him, so I knocked on Hanbyul's house door and she immediately opened it. 
 
"Oh, Daehyun?" she said, shocked to see me in front of her. "I thought it was Luhan."
 
"Were you that eager to see him again?" I asked as she smiled and shook her head. "Is the party over?"
 
"Not quite yet. Krystal and Sulli are still here," she said and let me in. I walked in and saw Krystal and Sulli watching a Disney movie. 
 
"Sorry, the party isn't all that. We've been watching kid movies all day," Hanbyul said with a sheepish smile. 
 
"I can see," I snickered. 
 
"Daehyun, why don't you come join us?" Sulli asked, waving me over to her. 
 
"It's fine. I only came to say Happy Birthday to Hanbyul," I said. 
 
"Pssh, and we thought you'd make this party fun," Krystal said with a yawn. "Hurry up and say what you gotta say then leave if you're not going to join us."
 
I scoffed and looked at Hanbyul, grabbing a hold of her present in my pocket when I saw something familiar dangling around her neck. 
 
"That necklace...," I said, staring at it. She looked down and touched it. 
 
"This? It was Luhan oppa's present for me," she said with a soft smile. "It's pretty, isn't it?"
 
I didn't respond and tightened my grip on the velvet box. It was the exact same necklace I had bought for Hanbyul for her birthday. 
 
"Daehyun?" she said waving her hands in front of my face. Through reflexes, I grabbed her wrists and gently set them aside her. I gulped down hard and looked away from her gaze. 
 
"Happy birthday Hanbyul," I softly said feeling my chest tighten up. 
 
"Thank you Daehyun," she said with a smile. "I saved you some food and a piece of cake, would you-"
 
"I've got things to do. I'm going," I quickly said and walked towards the door when she grabbed my wrist. 
 
"You're leaving already?" she asked with a tone that said, "Don't leave."
 
I pulled her hand away and grabbed the door knob. 
 
"Sorry I didn't get you a present," I said and opened the door, leaving. 
 
As soon as I got home, I went straight up to my room and set the velvet case on my night stand. I opened it to have the necklace sparkle from the diamonds. 
 
"He bought the exact same necklace...," I softly said, staring down at the necklace. "Is this even possible to buy the same gift?"
 
I took the necklace out of the case and held it in between my fingers, dangling. 
 
"I was excited for nothing," I softly said and set it on my night stand. I laid on my bed and looked up at the stars that glowed, then placed a hand over the left side of my chest. I could feel my heart beating and it was beating normally, but why was I feeling a strange pain from there? I can't be falling for this girl already because it'll only bring more trouble to me. How can I stop it?