Chapter 14

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

 

Luhan's POV~
 
Hanbyul and I planned for another hangout at her house and as planned, I went over for a little korean BBQ with her family. I've met her family, except for her father, whom I got to meet as he was the one who opened the door for me. 
 
"Good afternoon," I greeted with a bow.  
 
"Good afternoon to you too," he smiled and stepped to the side for me to enter. "Hanbyul's in her room. You can go ahead and get her."
 
"Is that okay?" I asked as he nodded. 
 
"First door on your left, but knock first," he said. I nodded and headed towards the room. I knocked on it and it opened after the 5th knock. 
 
"Oh, Luhan you're here," she smiled brightly. She stepped out of the room and shut it behind her. 
 
"Where's the rest of your family?" I asked as we both headed out to the living room. "I don't see Zelo or Yongguk around. Halmeoni's not home either?"
 
"Zelo went to hang out with some friends, but he'll come back to join us for dinner. Yongguk left for his morning shift and halmeoni left with my mom to buy groceries," she said, sitting down. "I'm guessing you met my dad already."
 
"It wasn't a proper greeting, but I guess you can say so," I smiled and sat next to her. I felt like we were being watched, but I didn't have to second guess it; we were being watched. 
 
"Luhan, would you like something to drink?" Hanbyul asked. 
 
"Uhm, water would be fine," I said and she left. 
 
Hanbyul's POV~
 
I walked into the kitchen to see my dad struggle to read the newspaper right. I knew he was watching us. 
 
"Appa, you don't have to be so sneaky and watch us from the corner. Just come out and sit with us in the living room," I said heading to the fridge to grab a cold water bottle. 
 
"What are you talking about? I've been reading the newspaper this whole time," he casually said. I rolled my eyes and looked over his shoulders. 
 
"Then what are you reading? Can you summarize it for me?" I asked. 
 
"Well...you see," he started to say, traveling his eyes around the newspaper. "Oh here! It says that...hmm, no that's nothing interesting."
 
"Appa, just admit it, you were watching Luhan and I huh?" I asked as he shrugged. I giggled and pinched his cheek. "You can be a child sometimes."
 
"Yah, how can you say that to your own father?" he asked, but I ignored him and went back to Luhan, handing him the bottle of water. 
 
"Thank you," he said and I took a seat next to him. Still not being close friends, it was a bit awkward just to be alone together. 
 
"So, about you and Daehyun...what's the relationship between you two?" I asked, not knowing what else to talk about. 
 
"Daehyun and I?" he asked as I nodded. "We're friends...at least we were."
 
"Eh? You two were friends?" I asked shocked considering that Daehyun is the chic type and Luhan's a little preppy boy. 
 
"Yeah, childhood friends," he smiled. 
 
"Childhood friends?" I asked as he nodded. "What happened then? Why aren't you two friends anymore?"
 
"It's a long story," he chuckled. "I guess you can say it was my fault our friendship failed. That's why he hates me so much."
 
Luhan played with his fingers and softly smiled, smiling as if he was remembering the memories he had with Daehyun. 
 
"How can you be so sure he hates you?" I asked him. "I don't think he hates you."
 
"Oh he does," he snickered. "I know Daehyun well enough that he hates me."
 
I didn't know what to say, so I just silently stared at him. It wasn't long when my mom and halmeoni came home, so we then began cooking. 
 
Daehyun's POV~
 
I walked around the streets of Seoul when I saw Zelo with some friends. He saw me too and smiled. 
 
"Hyung!" he shouted, waving at me. I waved back and walked up to him. 
 
"Are you skating here again?" I asked as he nodded. 
 
"What are you doing here? Taking a walk?" he asked. I nodded. "How boring."
 
"Tch, I find it extremely fun," I sarcastically said ruffling his hair. 
 
"Hyung, stop," he laughed. I stopped and stuck my hands in my pockets. "Oh, hyung. What are you doing later today?"
 
"Mmmm, nothing, why?" I asked. He smiled and scratched his head. 
 
"I was wondering if you'd like to have dinner with my family tonight. We're having a BBQ," he smiled. 
 
"That sounds nice," I smiled. 
 
"Oh, so then you'll come?!" he exclaimed as I nodded. "Awesome~!"
 
I laughed and poked his head. 
 
"What are you so happy for? It's just me," I said. He shrugged and continued to skate with his friends. I watched him skate and once the sun was beginning to set, we both walked to his house. 
 
We both arrived and entered the house to be welcomed by the smell of sweet, tender meat. 
 
"Everyone else must be outside," Zelo said and led me to the back door. Once he opened it, I met eyes with Hanbyul, then suddenly Luhan caught my eyes. He widened his eyes and stared at me. 
 
"Daehyun?"
 
"Luhan."