Chapter 33

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

As Christmas was just 4 days away, I decided to go out for presents. Although I'd be spending Christmas alone, like every year, I never stopped buying gifts for my parents. My father came back earlier than planned, but he continued to spend the night at the hospital due to urgent surgeries and my mother, well the usual, at her office and looking at all the cases she had to handle.

I walked around Coex Mall to find suits for my parents, that's all they need anyways; they even sleep in their suits when they're home. I entered a store that was filled with suits as a woman greeted me. I did a light head bow to her and searched around.

"Is that you Daehyun?" I heard a familiar voice. I turned around and saw a lady in her late 40's, she's the seamstress of the store. I'm actually a regular at this store during Christmas time, so many of the employees know me.

"Oh~ ahjumma," I smiled as she hugged me. "Uwah, you seem to get prettier every year I come."

"And you get much more handsome," she said, pinching my cheeks. "Are you buying more suits for your parents?"

"Yep, but I don't know what style to get them. They have almost everything in this store," I snickered. "Will you help me ahjumma?"

"Of course I will. You know how much I know about your parents style," she grinned and led me to the back where some suits were even displayed yet out in the front. "As a regular customer, I'll let you see these suits ahead of time. They're all new."

They may be new, but they looked exactly like the rest in this store. Nothing caught my eyes.

"They're boring, aren't they?" ahjumma asked as I shook my head with a light chuckle.

"They're not boring at all, just a bit...plain?" I said with an eyebrow up. She giggled and agreed with me.

"I already know your father has every single suit in this store, why don't you just buy more white collar shirts since he's always spilling coffee on them?" she asked as I thought about it. "It's cheaper~"

"Might as well," I smiled and walked out back to the front of the store, looking for white collar shirts and ties. I bought 2 white collar shirts, a black blazer and a red tie for my father while I bought a white, purple and red blouse for my mother along with a pair of black heels. Before I left the store, I had ahjumma adjust the blazer, so I sat in his little office as she sewed.

"Ahjumma, can I ask you something?" I asked. She made a "yes" hum with a head nod. "What do girls like?"

She stopped and looked at me with a grin.

"I-it's nothing like that," I denied before she could make assumptions. "It's for my mother."

"Pabo, you already bought something for your mother," she giggled. "I won't ask any questions, but girls...when I was a girl, I loved getting jewelry."

"Jewelry? Isn't that what every girl wants?" I asked as she nodded. "But jewelry is so boring. Everyone buys those for girls, I want to give her something unexpected."

"So there is a girl," she teased as I felt myself heating up. "But something unexpected? Like a kiss?"

"Ah-ahjumma!" I said with round eyes. "We're not even dating! I haven't even confessed to her and all of that!"

"Then let that kiss be your confession, don't you watch dramas?" she asked as I scoffed.

"I'm not going to do any of those things," I said and crossed my arms when an employee walked in.

"Mrs. Jang, your 3:00 appointment is here," she said.

"I'm almost done," ahjumma said and I looked at the employee, Hyeri.

"Hyeri noona, what would you like for Christmas?" I asked as she tapped her chin.

"Money? A car? House?" she questioned herself. "Why? Are you buying me something?"

"As if," I scoffed.

"It's for his girlfriend," ahjumma teased once again. I rolled my eyes and looked at Hyeri.

"Something affordable," I said as she crossed her arms while leaning against the door frame.

"Food?" she asked as I scoffed in disbelief.

"Why am I not surprised," I muttered and groaned. "Why is it so hard to buy things for girls?"

"Like boys are any better," Hyeri muttered back. "Buy her clothes then, or shoes. Makeup products?"

I sighed and noticed ahjumma had finished the blazer.

"You finished already?!" I asked as she nodded. "But we've been talking this whole time and I didn't even see your hands move!"

"I've been here for 20 years son," she said and handed me the blazer. I reached in my pocket to pay her, but she grabbed my arm. "It's on the house Daehyun. Also, don't spend the holidays alone. You're free join my family."

"Or me," Hyeri smiled.

"No thank you," I said, glaring at her. "But I'm fine spending it alone. It's been like this for 10 years now."

"Are you sure Daehyun?" ahjumma asked as I nodded.

"Don't worry about me," I smiled and bowed to her. "I'll be going now. Thank you."

"Anytime," she smiled and I walked out, seeing Hanbyul right in front of me.

"You...what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I have a 3:00 appointment with the seamstress. I'm having my father's suit re-adjusted," she said with a blank stare. "What about you?"

"I was buying things for my parents," I replied when ahjumma walked out.

"You must be my 3 o'clock appoinment," she smiled then looked at me. "You haven't gone home yet?"

I looked at her then to Hanbyul as ahjumma looked at her too, then grinned.

"Daehyun, don't tell me she's-"

"I'm going," I said and walked away as I heard ahjumma giggle. I quickly got out of the store and huffed out a sigh, feeling embarrassed. She won't tell Hanbyul, will she?

Hanbyul's POV~

I sat in Mrs. Jung's office while she sewed my father's blazer. I kept wondering about what she was going to say about me, but Daehyun cut her off.

"So, how do you and Daehyun know each other?" Mrs. Jung asked without looking up.

"We're classmates," I smiled. She did a slow head nod and giggled to herself. "Is there something wrong?"

"Nothing at all," she smiled and winked at me. I furrowed my eyebrows and let the idea slide.

"How do you know Daehyun?" I asked, tilting my head in curiosity. Mrs. Jung stopped sewing and looked at me with a smile.

"He's a regular at this store," she answered.

"A regular?" I asked as she nodded.

"He's been coming here since he was 8," she continued. "He'd buy a suit for his parents when Christmas Eve came around and he'd join us for a company dinner, but now that he's grown up, he doesn't join us as much anymore."

I nodded and sat still while watching her do her magic on my father's blazer. I looked around the room out of boredom when I came across a photo of what seemed to be her and a little boy, who had a firm look. It was on top of a bookshelf, so I stood up and walked towards it, grabbing it. I blew off the dust and looked at the faces.

"Is this you and Daehyun?" I asked, recognizing some of his facial features. I looked at Mrs. Jung who nodded. "When was this?"

"Around 6 years ago, he was 12 at that time," she smiled, finishing up her sewing. I stared at the picture and smiled.

"He must really cherish you guys then, since he's been coming at such a young age," I said as she softly laughed.

"He may not show it, but we all know he does," she said and handed me my father's blazer. "Well, since it's a holiday, you don't need to pay for the re-adjustments."

I smiled and thanked her. As I walked out of her office, I saw Daehyun standing right in front of me.

"You took quite a long time," he said as I snickered.

"No one told you to wait for me," I smiled and walked out of the store with him following behind. "Why did you wait?"

He shrugged and walked besides me. "I don't have anything to do today, so I thought I'd wait and hang out with you; maybe fool around a bit with you."

"Fool around?" I asked as he looked down at me with a straight face.

"What I really meant was tease you, push you around...in other words, bully you," he said like it was nothing. I scoffed in disbelief and pushed him away.

"Go bully someone else," I muttered and walked the opposite direction. I heard his footsteps come towards me and unaware of his next move, his arms wrapped around my shoulders and over my chest; his face close to mine. I seriously felt my heart stop beating for a second.

"You're the only one I want to bully," he whispered in such a gentle voice, but I found it more seductive than gentle. Hearing his voice like that brought shivers down my spine as his warm breath hit my neck. And his scent, his clean scent was so comforting that I didn't want him to release me, but he did. He walked around to face me and bent down to eye level. "Is something wrong? You look like you just saw a ghost."

"I'm looking at one right now," I said and walked past him when he grabbed my hand.

"Don't just walk away like that," he said. "If you spend the day with me, I promise you I won't bully you."

"You mean it?" I asked with an eyebrow raised. He let go of my hand and sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I don't really mean it," he said and with that I walked away, but he got a hold of me again. "But! If that's the only way for you to spend the day with me, I mean it."

I looked at him as his eyes told me he was serious, so I gave in. "Fine, I'll spend the day with you, but let me drop off my father's clothes at home first."

He obediently nodded and so we took the bus back home. The whole bus ride home, we were gossiping, like literally gossiping about the people in our school. We said some funny things, weird things and mean things about the students and we laughed at the things we said.

Once we reached our stop, we both got off and headed straight to my house. No one was home at the time; Zelo was at a friends', Yongguk was working as well as mom and dad, and halmeoni was out on a vacation in a village to visit a close childhood friend.

Daehyun and I entered my house and went straight to my parent's room to put away my father's blazer; I don't know why Daehyun followed though. We both walked out of their room and into the living room, taking a seat.

"So what kind of hang out are we having exactly?" I asked, crossing my legs while leaning back in the couch. He looked at me and shrugged.

"This kind of hang out," he said, referring to just sitting and staring at each other. I stared at him with an eyebrow raised. "What? It's not like you got anything better."

 
"True, but still, don't you think it's a bit boring?" I asked as he shrugged. 
 
"Not really," he said and stood up, heading towards the shelf full of movies. "A movie night isn't boring, right?"
 
"I guess not," I said and watched him rummage through the movies. After a long 2 minutes of searching, he picked out a thriller-horror movie. He sat next to me and grabbed a pillow to hold as we watched the movie in silence. 
 
50 minutes into the movie, his head started bobbing up and down, getting lower and lower. I wasn't sure if I should wake him or leave him, but seeing how uncomfortable his neck looked, I decided to adjust his head without trying to wake him up. I placed his head on my shoulder and lowered down the volume so it wouldn't wake him. Of course our moment of silence didn't last long when everyone came home one by one, but surprisingly no one distracted us. 
 
It was already midnight and Daehyun still hasn't woken up yet, so I laid him down on the couch and grabbed a blanket, placing it over his body. I looked at his face and felt my heart beat extremely fast, but I was used to this feeling now; I knew what this feeling was too. I brushed his hair out of his face and smiled before whispering a sweet goodnight to him.