Chapter 3

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Daehyun's POV~

I felt something sharp poke me on my side. I stirred in my sleep then fell off, hitting a hard surface. Without even opening my eyes, the sun was already blinding me. 
 
"Wake up~" a voice said from above. It was a little girl's voice. "Ahjussi, wake up."
 
"A-ahjussi?" I asked, slowly rising up and opening my eyes to see a park full of early birds, taking their daily runs. I turned to look at the little girl who was holding a stick in her hand, then she poked me on my arm. 
 
"Ahjussi, you have to get up," she said as I squinted my eyes at her. 
 
"I'm not an ahjussi," I stated, standing up to stretch my arms and legs. "Do I look that old to you?"
 
She looked up at me and nodded as my jaw dropped. How can a face like mine be considered as an ahjussi?!
 
"Little girl, shouldn't you be at home sleeping this early in the morning?" I asked her as she shook her head. 
 
"It's already 9AM. I'm on my way to school with my mommy, but she's over there talking to her friend," she said pointing to a middle aged women, who was on her cell. 
 
"Does your mommy even know you're talking to a stranger?" I asked. She shook her head. 
 
"She doesn't know and she tells me to stay away from strangers," the little girl said. I kneeled down, eye level. 
 
"Then why aren't you staying away from me?" I asked, looking her in the eyes. 
 
"Because you're not a bad person. I can tell already," she smiled and blushed. I smiled too when her mother yanked her arm and pulled her away from me. 
 
"Eunbi, what are you doing talking to a stranger?!" her mother shouted while glaring at me. "He might hurt you!"
 
"I don't mean any harm to your daughter ma'am," I said and bowed to her, taking my leave. 
 
"Stay away from strangers, you hear me? Especially those thugs who are sleeping out here on the streets," the woman shouted as I was at a far distance from them. I sighed and went to a nearby store to buy myself bread and milk. I looked at my watch and it read 9:17 AM.
 
"Ehh, I'm not that late," I said and bought my breakfast, heading out for school with the same clothes I had on yesterday. 
 
I entered the school and walked to my classroom, seeing an unfamiliar figure standing next to Mr. Chae. *Who could that be?*
 
I opened the door and everyones' attention was on me. Mr. Chae glared at me while the student standing next to him, turned around and looked at me. She was a petite girl and pretty slim. 
 
"Why are you so late?" Mr. Chae asked. I was going to say something, but he held his hand up to stop me. "Just go to your seat, you're wasting our time."
 
"More like you," I muttered and headed to my seat. He glared at me then turned to the female student. I sat down in my seat when another person walked in, interrupting class. 
 
"Oh, Luhan. Come and take your seat. You're just in time," Mr. Chae said totally changing his tone of voice, as if Luhan was an angel or something. I rolled my eyes in annoyance and rested my head on my desk, looking out the window.
 
"Well, as you can tell we have a transfer student here with us today," Mr. Chae started talking. "I would like everyone's attention on her please and I mean everyone."
 
I could feel those eyes of his on me, so I lifted my head up and looked at the girl. The girl looked at me and her expression was blank, no sort of emotion showed. 
 
"You may introduce yourself," Mr. Chae said to the girl and stepped aside. 
 
"Hello, my name is Cha Hanbyul, it's nice to meet you all," she said and bowed. "I transferred from the U.S and I hope to become good friends with all of you."
 
"Cool~ a foreigner."
 
"Wow, she's really cute~"
 
"Do you think I could get her number?" all the male students were whispering to each other getting overly excited. I shook my head at those poor boys and put my head back down on my desk. 
 
"Hanbyul, you may take a seat next to, uhm," Mr. Chae started saying. 
 
"Where?" she asked. 
 
"Well, there's only one desk left and that's next to him," he said. I didn't know who he was talking about until I lifted my head up to see that he was pointing right at me. "But I'd prefer you stay away from him."
 
"It's fine. I'll sit at that desk," she said and walked towards me. 
 
"Are you sure? I mean I could have you switch spots with someone else," Mr. Chae said, but she had already taken her seat. 
 
She flashed a smile and said, "I'll be alright. I'm sure he won't do anything."
 
"We don't know yet," he said and looked at me. "You better behave yourself."
 
"Oh yeah, like I'm going to bite her and eat her up," I sarcastically said and turned to her, my bottom lip. "But who knows, I just might do it."
 
I heard some murmurs and gasps, but I ignored them all. 
 
"Then I'll just have to do the same back to you," she said with an innocent smile and faced forward with a straight face. 
 
"She's so cool~!" the female students all chimed and admired the new transferred student. I looked at them all in disbelief and class started. 
 
"Oh and Daehyun," Mr. Chae started saying, looking back at me while pointing his chalk at me. "Since you were late, you are to show Miss Cha around the school."
 
"But Lu-"
 
"It's also for you to make up for all the cleaning duties you've missed," he said with an evil smirk and turned back to the chalk board. "Now onto our lesson."