Chapter 7

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

 

Daehyun's POV~
 
It was a weekend and I knew that my parents weren't working for the day, so I decided to go home after another night at the park. I entered the house and saw that it was completely empty. 
 
"Are they seriously not home today?" I mumbled and saw a red flashing light on the voicemail. I clicked for the voicemail to play and it was only my parent's voices. 
 
Daehyun-ah, are you home? Have you eaten yet? Please eat and don't starve yourself okay? Umma will be home soon, take care...
 
Hey buddy, how've you been? I'm sorry your mother and I are so busy that we can't even be home with you. I hope you're home though and not sleeping out at the park. I just wanted to leave a quick message whether you hear this or not. Take care alright and I promise we'll go and play ball soon.
 
"Does he not know that I've grown up?" I muttered under my breath and walked away with more voicemails playing. I went into my room, which was still clean and empty, laying down on my bed. I stared at the ceiling which had glow in the dark stars taped up. Laying in bed and staring up at those stars, I decided to go take a warm shower to feel at ease. 
 
While taking a shower, there was a knock at the door. I turned off the running water and stood in the shower stall, hoping to hear a voice and that it just wasn't my imagination. 
 
"Buddy, is that you?" I heard my father's voice. I didn't reply and stood in the steam of hotness. "It's okay if you don't answer me, but I know it's you. I just wanted to let you know that I'm heading off to work. I know it's my day off, but the patient really needs surgery and is requesting me, so I'll have to go. Your mother will be home though."
 
I still didn't make a sound and it grew silent for a moment. 
 
"I'm sorry buddy," he softly said. "I'll try to come home early and we'll go out for dinner, as a family."
 
I deeply exhaled and turned back on the shower, letting the warmth take me in its embrace. 
 
After a nice shower, I put on some clothes and dried my hair, heading down to the kitchen to grab something to eat when I saw my mother in there. She was wearing her reading glasses and reading the daily newspaper. She looked up and saw me. 
 
"Oh, Daehyun-ah," she said with a bright smile, which had been so long since I've seen it. "Would you like something to eat? I made some toast."
 
"That would be nice," I mumbled and looked at her awkwardly as she got up and handed me a plate of warm toast. "Are you going to be home all day?"
 
"Yes I am," she said. "Did you want to do anything today?"
 
"No, I was just curious," I said and took the plate up to my room. I sat at my desk and my computer to play a few games while eating the toast. After finishing up my toast, my throat became dry and so I went back down to the kitchen and my mother was gone, probably in her room or wherever. I didn't care. 
 
I opened the fridge to find something to drink, but there wasn't anything and I mean nothing at all. All that was in the fridge were some eggs, moldy cheese and some smelly kimchi. I groaned and went to the cupboard, getting a cup and filling it with sink water to drink. 
 
"Daehyun, that's not healthy," I heard my mother say from behind. "Drink some clean water."
 
"We don't have any," I coldly said, slamming the cup on the counter. "We don't have anything."
 
"I will go buy some things then," she softly said, but I shook my head. 
 
"Don't," I said. "It's a waste."
 
I walked past her when the doorbell rung. My mother went to open it and Youngjae was standing there, tapping his toe on the ground while shyly looking at me. 
 
"Yoo Youngjae, what are you doing here?" I asked with a glare, which I didn't intend on giving him. 
 
"Uh, I just wanted to hang out," he quietly said as I looked at my mother. 
 
"Is he a friend?" she asked looking at me. 
 
"Not really a friend. He's my shadow," I said and walked up the stairs, then stopped to look at him. "Are you not going to follow me?"
 
He smiled and came in, following right behind me. I led him into my room and shut the door, sitting back at my computer desk to continue my game. 
 
"So this how your room looks like," he said, slowly twirling around to have a 360 degree image of my room. I didn't respond and focused on my game. "Your room is really clean."
 
"You can take a seat on my bed. I don't know why you came anyways, there's nothing to do," I said, the corner of my lip as I focused on my game. 
 
Luhan's POV~
 
What to do on a weekend like this... I laid on my stomach on my bed, hugging my pillow under me. I stared at my clock, wishing time would go by faster to actually having it go by slower. What to do...
 
I rolled onto my back and stared up at the ceiling when Hanbyul's face popped up into my mind. Her smile, her hair, her skin, everything made my heart race even if she was a new student. 
 
"Cha Hanbyul," I softly whispered. "Why would a transfer student like you make me feel this way? Always feeling my heart beat speed up when I see you."
 
I heard many footsteps come towards my door and I saw shadows in front of it. The door knob turned and popped in Sehun, Kris, Lay, Chen, Xiumin and Tao.
 
"Hey best friend!" Sehun said with a big smile. 
 
"Best friend?" I asked, looking at him then to the other. "Since when were we best friends?"
 
"Ever since we met," Chen blankly said. 
 
"I only have one best friend and it's none of you guys," I said looking at the 6 boys, who exchanged looks. "Anyways, what is it that you guys want?"
 
"Oh~ we wanted to go and hang out at a karaoke center to meet girls," Tao said. 
 
"You know I hate those things," I replied, sitting up on my bed. 
 
"It'll be fun hyung," Lay said with that player smile. 
 
"Go by yourselves," I coldly said and laid back down on my bed. "I'll stay here and sleep the rest of the day."
 
"Hyung, that's not fun," Sehun whined as I looked at him. "We were actually inviting Krystal, Sulli and that new transferred student. Hanbyul, was it?"
 
I shot out of bed and rounded my eyes. "Hanbyul?!"
 
"Now he's excited," Kris smirked and nodded. "We've asked them to come and they agreed."
 
I thought about it and it was a good chance to get to know her better. 
 
"Wait for me downstairs," I said and ran into the bathroom to get ready.