Chapter 35

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Daehyun's POV~

I sat on the 2nd floor by the window in the cafe Luhan worked at. Watching the snow gracefully fall and a warm cup of hot coco in my hands, I continued to look down at the people walking passed. 

"Don't you think it's time you go home?" I heard Luhan say from behind. Without looking I answered, "No."

He sighed and handed me a brownie. 

"If you plan to stay here all day then eat something," he said and left without another word. Once he was gone, I glanced down at the brownie which looked like it was just freshly baked. I just stared at it when my stomach started to grumble and fight the hunger. 

I was actually at the cafe, not to see Luhan, but Hanbyul. I was going to tutor her in math, but she didn't want to study at her house because some relatives she didn't know were over and she didn't want to come to my house because...well, I don't know why myself, so we decided to meet here since it had a warm, comfy environment. 

Finishing the brownie Luhan gave me I looked back out the window to see Hanbyul running down the street. She was late; 15 minutes late to be exact. Resting my chin on my palm while my elbow rested on the table, I softly chuckled at how fast she was running towards the cafe. 

Hearing her heavy footsteps running up the stairs, I got up and turned around to see her panting at the end of the room. 

"You're late," I said with no emotions in my voice. 

"S-sorry," she heavily breathed. "I-I woke up late...then I helped my mom cook for the guests."

I narrowed my eyes at her then have her a soft smile. 

"It's okay," I said as she smiled back. 

"Really?" she asked as I nodded. 

"Yeah, because we're not going to study today," I said. She widened her eyes and was wide open in disbelief. 

"Wh-what?! Why?" she asked as I walked passed her and down the stairs. 

"Because you wasted my time," I simply said with my hands in my pants pocket. She trailed behind me, yelling at me and saying sorry. I couldn't help, but silently laugh. I got to the exit when Luhan stood in my way, but his eyes were on Hanbyul. 

"Good afternoon, Hanbyul," Luhan smiled at her. I averted my eyes from his expression and continued to walk out the cafe, but I could only hear my feet crunching against the snow. I glanced behind me and saw that Hanbyul wasn't following me anymore. I focused my eyes back to the front of me as my chest tighten just a bit. 

Hanbyul's POV~

"So that's why he was here so early," Luhan softly said, turning his head slightly looking out the window at the back of Daehyun. I looked at him in confusion. 

"How long was he here?" I asked. 

"Since 10 in the morning," Luhan answered turning his attention to me. "You must have arrived late for him to leave as soon as you got here."

"I don't know why he even came that early. We weren't supposed to meet until 12," I pouted. "I wasn't that late anyways."

"You were 15 minutes late," Luhan said pointing to the clock behind him. "Daehyun doesn't like waiting especially if it's longer than 5 minutes, so you're lucky...sort of."

I was a bit guilty for making him wait for so long, but he's also at fault for coming so early. Noticing that I was in deep thoughts, Luhan placed his hand on my head and gently ruffled my hair with a smile. 

"Go, I'm sure he's expecting something out of you," he said and walked passed me to the back room. I stood in place for a bit longer to sigh non-stop, then exited the cafe trying to following Daehyun, wherever he was. 

I tried reaching him through my cellphone, but he had turned it off. He must have been really mad at me....

I walked for another 30 minutes or so in this cold snowy day looking for him, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen. I tried calling him again, but got nothing. I deeply exhaled and stared at my phone with a sulked face. 

"Why won't he pick up?" I muttered and decided to head back home. 

As I got off of the bus at my stop, I saw Daehyun standing there leaning against the bus stop sign. His arms were crossed and he stared at me, then turned away. 

"Yah," I said following behind him. "Why are you ignoring me? I said I was sorry. I know I wasted your time by being 15 minutes late, if not 15 then 2 hours and 15 minutes."

He didn't say anything and continued to walk away. 

"No one told you to arrive at the cafe at 10 in the morning," I said, walking faster to reach him. 

"It's not like I went there early to wait for you," he said as I slowed down my pace. 

"He wasn't waiting for me?" I whispered. "Then was it for Luhan?"

I smiled a smirk an cautiously ran up to him through the slush. I clung onto his arm as he glared down at me. 

"Did you go early because of Luhan? You were worried about him, weren't you?" I teased. He cleared his throat and shook me off. 

I noticed that we walked passed my house, but I didn't care. 

"Daehyun, if you're so worried about him then reconcile with him instead of watching him from afar?" I asked looking up at him. 

"I can't," he softly said with a pitiful face. "It's hard to do it...."

"Why?" I asked without realizing that it was personal. 

"Because he abandoned me...he betrayed our friendship," he said in a softer tone, an upset tone. I was surprised that he even answered and I was curious about their past, but I didn't want to go any further with my questions. 

I followed him all the way to his house and even walked in; he didn't seem to care though. 

"Want anything to drink?" he asked heading into the kitchen. 

"Uh, water's fine," I answered and sat in the living room. It was silent in his house, as usual. A few minutes later he came back and handed me a warm mug. 

"You walked all the way to my house in the cold, so I thought hot chocolate was more suitable than water," he said and headed up the stairs. 

"W-wait, you're gonna leave me alone here?" I asked as he hummed a yes. "But what about math?"

"Follow me to my room then I'll help you," his voice echoed from the top of the stairs. Hearing that, my heart raced and I could feel my face heat up. It's not the first time I've been alone in his room, but it was a bit different this time knowing that I've realized my feelings for him. 

"I won't do anything to you so hurry up! If not then leave!" he shouted from a distance upstairs. 

"O-okay!" I shouted back and grabbed my stuff walking up to his room. I got to the top of the stairs and saw him leaning against the wall with a smile. Once he saw me, he turned away and entered his room as I followed him with a blushing face. 

We both sat down across from each other on the floor; I sat still while he took out his stuff then looked up at me. 

"You look nervous," he said straight up making my heart beat faster. "This isn't the first we've been alone in my room. We've even laid on my bed together once, remember?"

"I-I remember," I softly said remembering it all. He sighed and opened his textbook. 

"Lets start on this page and make our way up," he said as I took out my stuff and followed along. 

30 minutes into our study, I started to wonder about something. 

"Daehyun," I softly said as he looked up at me. "Us being alone in your room, don't you feel anything?"

"Feel anything?" he asked as I nodded. "Of course I do; the heat from my heater."

"N-no, that's not what I meant," I said soon clearing my throat. "Like...maybe nervous or something."

"Not at all," he said and turned back to his book. Maybe it was only me who was nervous, even after 30 minutes. 

"Then can I ask something else?" I asked as he nodded. "What happened between you and Luhan?"

He stopped writing and looked up at me, but his eyes seemed like they were ripping my soul out. 

"I was hospitalized because of him."