Chapter 37

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

3rd Person POV~

After eating breakfast at home, Zelo and Hanbyul headed out to the bus stop to get to school. Along the way, they met Daehyun. 

"Hyung!" Zelo shouted. Daehyun was listening to his iPod, so he didn't hear Zelo. "Hyung~!"

"He can't hear you," Hanbyul stated the obvious. "He's got earphones in."

Zelo ran up to him to only end up slipping and falling face first, landing on a pile of snow. That caught Daehyun's attention though. 

"Zelo!" Daehyun shouted, worried. He took out his earphones and cautiously ran to Zelo as Hanbyul did too. 

He got up from the ground and wiped his face from the cold wetness as Daehyun and Hanbyul pulled him up on his feet. His face was red, but he had on a goofy grin. 

"That was embarrassing," he laughed uneasily, embarrassed.  

"Watch where you're going next time," Daehyun chuckled and brushed off the snow on his pants. "Why were you even running?"

"I was running to you," Zelo sheepishly grinned while rubbing the back of his neck. Daehyun chuckle again and lightly poked Zelo's forehead. Hanbyul, on the other hand, slapped the back of his head. 

"Yah, don't go running when you know it's slippery. You could've gotten hurt," she scolded. He glared at her, but before he could say a word the bus had already arrived. 

At school, Luhan was sitting in class waiting for Hanbyul's arrival when he saw Youngjae walk in. Ever since his confession, he's been back to his usual self; quiet, reserved and a nerd. His uniform was neater than ever and he grew his hair out. Luhan knew of his situation for Hanbyul had told him some time ago; he couldn't help but feel bad for Youngjae. 

As Youngjae was walking to his seat, a group to male students tripped him and laughed as he fell to the ground. His textbooks were scattered all over the place and his glasses were hanging off his face. As the makes continued to laugh, it created a chain and others were laughing along. Youngjae swallowed hard and pressed his lips tight together; he stood up to only be pushed back down by the obnoxious male students. 

"Look! Someone left trash on the floor!" a male student hollered as the laughter in the classroom grew louder.  

Not only did Youngjae become his old self, but his surroundings were its old self. No one saw him as a threat anymore; he was back to "easy target" Youngjae. 

As Youngjae continued to be teased, Luhan stood up and walked towards them. He picked up the textbooks and set them on a desk nearest to him. Luhan had picked up all of his belongings and looked at Youngjae, who continued to lay on the floor with his face cover with his arms; he was embarrassed. 

"Youngjae," Luhan softly said his name. 

"Leave him Luhan," another male student snickered. "He fits perfectly with the ground."

Luhan ignored him and moved closer to Youngjae. 

"Get up, Youngjae," Luhan said, a bit firmer this time. "You don't want him to see you like this, do you?"

He didn't respond. 

"Youngjae-ah, ge-"

Luhan was interrupted as the classroom door slammed opened. The laughter had stopped as Luhan looked up to see Daehyun standing at the entrance, glaring down at Luhan and Youngjae. Everyone had continued on with what they were doing earlier as if nothing had happened. Daehyun continued to glare at them before turning his attention to the boys who had started all of this. They turned away from Daehyun's glare and had walked out of the classroom with a few whispers. 

He looked down at them one last time before walking to his desk without a word; the classroom was silent. 

Just then Hanbyul walked in and saw them on the ground. She widened her eyes and gasped, running to them. 

"What happened?!" she asked, kneeling besides Youngjae. 

"I'll tell you some other time," Luhan replied. She nodded and they tried to pull Youngjae up, but he refused to get up for the ground. 

"Oppa, class is starting soon and students will be piling in the room. You need to get up," Hanbyul softly said to Youngjae, who just laid there. 

Daehyun glanced at the three and let out a loud sigh. Hanbyul had heard his sigh and looked up to him, furrowing her eyebrows. 

"Why aren't you doing anything?" she whispered to herself. 

"I'm too embarrassed to get up," Youngjae mumbled. Luhan and Hanbyul exchanged looks, sighing. 

Luhan took off his blazer and placed it on top of Youngjae's head. 

"I'll cover you as we get out of here," he said and managed to pull Youngjae on to his feet. Hanbyul grabbed his glasses that had fallen on the ground as well as his textbooks, following behind the two out of the classroom. 

They entered the school library, which no one enters ever, and took a seat by an empty table. By then, first period had already started. 

Luhan took his blazer off of Youngjae's head and placed it on the table, revealing an embarrassed Youngjae. His face was red and his eyes were burning of tears. Hanbyul looked at Youngjae with pity. 

"You guys can leave now," Youngjae softly said, hanging his head. The two shook their heads and sat by his side. 

"We'll leave when you're ready to leave," Hanbyul gently smiled, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We want to assure ourselves that you're alright."

Youngjae glanced at Hanbyul and turned away. 

"Have you reported any of the bullying to the school principal?" Luhan asked as he shook his head. "Why not?"

"There's no point of reporting it," he answered. "If I was to do it, more than half the school would be suspended, maybe even expelled. I don't want that."

"Number doesn't matter, you yourself is more important," Luhan said, but he shook his head. 

"I don't want to trouble others anymore," he said and stood up from his seat to walk over to the window, watching the snow gracefully fall from the sky. 

Hanbyul and Luhan both silently exhaled and just stared at the back of Youngjae. 

Throughout the whole day, the three of them had stayed in the library doing nothing but read some books they found. It was a long 8 hours for them, skipping all their classes, but they didn't care; it was only one day. 

The bell rung and school was over for the day. The three stretched their arms up from falling asleep and cleaned up after theirselves. They walked out of the library and down the hallway meeting Daehyun as he walking towards them, heading out of the school. They froze and turned their eyes away from him. He swallowed hard and also turned his head away, walking towards them.

Luhan had glanced at Daehyun, noticing that his knuckles were bruised. As Daehyun walked passed them, Luhan turned around watching him walk away. 

"Youngjae!" he heard some male students shout, so he turned around to the direction he once was facing. He saw the group of male students who had harassed Youngjae from earlier; their faces were bruised and patched with bandages. 

Hanbyul sensed that Youngjae had tensed up, so she stood in front of Youngjae to protect him, but Luhan had pulled her to his side. She looked up at him as he smiled down to her that everything was going to be okay. 

The group walked towards them and had an annoyed face. 

"We're sorry about what happened earlier," the student who had started it all apologized. Hanbyul and Youngjae were shocked. 

"We didn't mean to embarrass you," another said. "We won't do it again. We're sorry."

"We're sorry," the others followed along and they all deep bowed in front of him. He didn't know how to respond, but Luhan helped him a bit by placing a hand on his shoulder with a smile. 

"I-it's okay," Youngjae said. The group of boys looked at each other and straighten themselves up. 

"You guys can leave now," Luhan said and so the boys ran off. Hanbyul was still in a state of shock. 

"What just happened?" she asked, flustered. 

"It's obvious," Luhan snickered. "Looks like Youngjae's guardian did this."

"Guardian?" Youngjae and Hanbyul asked as Luhan nodded. "Who?"

He shrugged and walked off as the two exchanged looks. Hanbyul had figured it out and rounded her eyes. 

"I-I'm going home!" she shouted and ran away. She couldn't help, but smile to herself. "Pabo."

Youngjae had also figured it out and his heart couldn't stop beating. He ran up to catch up to Luhan and the two entered the classroom hoping to meet with Mr. Chae about the work they missed, but he wasn't there. They noticed a notebook on both their desks though. 

They walked over to their desks and opened it to see notes written all over it. They exchanged looks and smiled to one another because they knew there was only one person who had horrible hand writing and note taking skills; Daehyun. 

Hanbyul had ran passed her house and went straight to Daehyun's. Once she reached his house, she banged on the door due to excitement. 

He walked out of his room and down the stairs opening the door to see a hyped up Hanbyul. She was full of smiles, but to him it was sort of creepy. 

"What do you want?" he asked in annoyance. 

"Nothing," she continued to smile. He raised an eyebrow and slowly closed the door, but she stepped her foot in. 

"Seriously, what do you want?" he sighed. 

"Was it you?" she then asked. He furrowed his eyebrows. 

"What are you talking about?" he asked. He knew what she meant though. 

"Those guys, it was you wasn't it?" she asked again as he sighed. 

"I didn't do anything. I don't even know what you're talking about," he said and tried to close the door but she wouldn't budge. He was starting to get really annoyed. "Yah! It's either you leave or come in! It's cold!"

She giggled and entered. He shut the door and glared at her, but she wasn't scared, at least not now. 

"What's with you?" he asked. 

"Nothing, really," she said and shifted her eyes down to his hands. They were bruised. He noticed and hid his hands in his sweater's pockets. "You don't have to hide it."

He didn't say anything, but she didn't want to push his buttons even more, so she sighed and gently smiled. 

"What you did made you even cooler," she lightly giggled. His heart hit against his chest, hard. He cleared his throat and walked towards the stairs. 

"I took notes for you, I'll go quickly grab them," he said and walked up the stairs. 

"You're even cooler now!" she beamed. Hearing that, he snickered and entered his room. He grabbed the notes and walked back down the stairs, handing it to her. She thanked him and gave him a thumbs up. 

He rolled his eyes and walked her out. 

"Don't slip and fall like Zelo," he said as she smiled, waving to him. 

"Never going to hap- oof," she groaned as she fell on her . She hissed in pain as Daehyun laughed hysterically. "It hurts."

She looked up at the laughing Daehyun and had laughed along with him. Her laughter died down and she softened her gaze at the laughing Daehyun. 

"You're slowly opening up to them, aren't you?" she whispered with a warm smile.