Chapter 16

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Daehyun's POV~

I sat in my seat waiting patiently for Hanbyul to walk through the door to give back her little container she had given me that night when I had dinner with her family and Luhan. Students that were piling in the classroom looked at me surprised, just as surprised as I was, because I was for once early to school.

"I'm shocked to see you here early Daehyun-ssi," Youngjae said sitting in Hanbyul's seat. I didn't reply and stared at that seat. "Daehyun?

"Shouldn't she be here by now?" I asked, blinking my eyes at the seat. 
 
"Who are you talking about?" Youngjae asked leaning in towards me. I backed away and glared at him. "Ahh, sorry. I was too close."
 
I nodded and sighed. 
 
"I was talking about Hanbyul-"
 
"Were you here early because of her?" he asked as I honestly nodded, widening my eyes in realization. 
 
"N-no, I wasn't waiting for her. I came early because I couldn't stand being home alone," I said siting straight up in my seat. "She's not worth coming early in the morning for."
 
"That's what you think," Youngjae snickered and soon the bell rung, making me widen my eyes. 
 
"Class is starting already?" I asked as Youngjae nodded and got up, heading to his seat. Just then Luhan walked in with a pink plastic container in his hand and looked my direction. He obviously wasn't looking at me, but at the empty seat next to me. 
 
"Is Hanbyul not here today?" Luhan asked Mr. Chae, who could probably care less about a student's absence. 
 
"Looks like she isn't here, please go to your seat Luhan," Mr. Chae said and turned to face the blackboard. "Everyone, turn you textbook to page 315 and follow along."
 
Luhan took a seat and stared at the seat, then met eyes with me. Those eyes asked, "Where's Hanbyul?"
 
My reply was me turning my head away, looking out the window wondering where she really was. 
 
Class had been slow without Hanbyul around bothering me. Sure it was peaceful in class, but boring without her. Not glaring at her or teasing her felt strange. Without her studying so hard next to me felt strange. That empty seat...felt strange. 
 
School ended 1000 years later (sarcasm) and everyone started piling out of the school. I pushed passed everyone to find one particular person; Zelo. I saw him heading out the gates, so I ran after him with the plastic container in my hands. 
 
"Zelo!" I shouted his name. "Zelo!!"
 
He still didn't stop walking, so I ran faster and reached my hand out to grab his backpack. 
 
"Zelo!" I shouted once again when I got a hold of him. He turned around and being taller, he looked down at me while taking out an earbud from his ear. 
 
"Oh hyung, were you calling my name?" he asked, blinking. 
 
"You idiot, I've been shouting your name this whole time," I panted. 
 
"Oh, sorry. I was just listening to some Eminem," he grinned. "What's up?"
 
"Where's that cousin of yours?" I asked, catching my breath. "Why didn't she show up to class?"
 
 "That shortie?" he asked as I nodded. "I don't know. Did you want to come over and ask yourself?"
 
"How do you not know? Don't you live with her?" I asked with a scoff. 
 
"I do, but if she isn't ready by the time I am then she's going to school alone," he answered with a shrug. "I didn't know she skipped today."
 
"That girl," I sighed and handed him the plastic container. "Well, I only asked for her because of this. I was going to give it back to her, but since you're here you might as well being it home yourself?"
 
He looked at it and took it from me. 
 
"Hyung, why don't you come see her?" Zelo asked as I furrowed my eyebrows. 
 
"And why would I go see her?" I asked. He shrugged and turned around, walking away as I followed behind since we do live by each other. 
 
"I don't know? Maybe because you're her friend, she'd want to see you?" he said, tapping his thumbs on the lid of the container. 
 
"Why would she want to see me?" I asked. 
 
"Oh, you didn't know? She's sick," he stated, making me widen my eyes. 
 
"Sick?!" I asked as he nodded. "You said you didn't know why she skipped!"
 
He grinned innocently and chuckled. I glared at him in a playful manner and hit his arm. 
 
"This kid dares to play tricks on me," I snickered and thought of Hanbyul. "But is she really sick?"
 
"I don't know, you'll have to see for yourself," Zelo said with a grin and continued to walk. I scoffed in disbelief and decided it wouldn't hurt to check up on her. 
 
Hanbyul's POV~
 
I blew my nose and felt it clog up immediately. I felt horrible and dead. 
 
"I hate being sick," I muttered and rolled onto my side to hear the door creak open. 
 
"So you were sick," a voice said and I shot my eyes open. I looked at him with wide eyes. 
 
"Luhan?"