Chapter 51

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

3rd Person POV~

At Haeundae Beach, everyone had gone into the water, except Luhan. He sat under an umbrella and watched them run around chasing each other. Daehyun was dragging Youngjae deeper into the ocean; Krystal was looking at the shirtless guys around them and Sulli and Hanbyul were kicking water at one another. 

Luhan chuckled to himself and brought his knees up to his chest, wrapping his arms around them. He rested his chin on top of his knees and stared at Hanbyul. Coincidentally, she had turned her head and was looking straight at him. She smiled and waved to him, gesturing for him to join them. He shook his head though and just smiled. 

"What a party-pooper," Krystal scoffed as she walked over to her friends with arms crossed over her chest. She looked at Luhan and sighed. "Go drag him to join us, Hanbyul."

"But he doesn't want to," Hanbyul said with a pout. 

"He would never say no to you if you ask him yourself," Krystal smiled and patted Hanbyul's shoulder. "Go. You don't want him regretting he came, right?"

Hanbyul sighed and walked out of the water. Daehyun had noticed and his eyes watched her every movements as she went to go sit next to Luhan. He gave a soft smile at the scene and turned back to "bully" Youngjae in the water. 

Luhan handed Hanbyul a towel to dry herself off. He then placed his denim jacket over her shoulders so that she wouldn't expose so much of herself. 

"Why did you get out? You were having fun," Luhan slightly smiled. 

"It'd be more fun if we were all in there together," she smiled and turned to Luhan. "Why don't you join us?"

"I'm fine where I'm at," he said and inhaled the ocean's fresh scent with his eyes closed. "Besides, I just applied sunblock."

Hanbyul softly laughed at his remark. 

"At least dip your feet into the water," Hanbyul suggested. "The water's nice and cool, especially on this hot day. Also, this may be the last time we come to the beach together, so lets enjoy it together."

Hanbyul was right. It could've been their last time at the beach together and Luhan didn't want to regret it, so he finally agreed with a sigh. 

He stood up and stripped off his graphic tee. He looked down to Hanbyul, who was blushing at seeing his body for the first time. He chuckled and reached his hand towards her. 

"Lets go then," he grinned and she placed her hand in his. She stood up and they both walked down to the shoreline. 

"So you finally decided to join us!" Sulli beamed. Luhan nodded and stepped into the water. Hanbyul stood at the shoreline when Krystal stood next to her and nudged her. 

"Told you he would never say no to you," Krystal grinned and joined the others. 

Hanbyul was aware that Luhan would never reject her if she had personally asked him for anything.

As Daehyun was with the others, he saw Hanbyul just standing at the shoreline. He walked to her and pinched her belly. She winced in pain and glared at him soon slapping his arm. 

"What'd you do that for?" she growled. "That hurt."

He snickered and apologized. "Sorry, you're just easy to pick on."

Hanbyul scoffed and crossed her arms with a pout.

"What are you thinking about?" Daehyun asked. She looked at him, confused. "Don't give me that look. What's going on in your mind?"

A lot of things. 

"Nothing much," she answered with a shrug. He positioned his body and faced the ocean then turned to look at Luhan, who was dragging Krystal and Sulli into the water. Youngjae was just laughing at them. 

"Wouldn't it be great if we could come back here once we graduate?" Daehyun asked with a soft smile. Hanbyul felt her chest grow heavy. "But sometimes things just can't be the way we want it to be. Luhan wouldn't be with us then."

"What makes you so sure he won't?" Hanbyul questioned. She was in denial. She didn't want to believe that Luhan was never going to be in contact with them again after this trip. 

Daehyun wrapped an arm around her shoulder and rubbed the side of her arm. He was trying to comfort her. 

"I never said I was sure, because I know he will come back to us eventually," Daehyun sighed and he looked over to Luhan. He was laughing with the others; he was happy. "Because then he'll realize that we give him the love and happiness he's been longing for."

Hanbyul looked up to Daehyun with a soft face. He looked down and met her eyes. They both smiled to one another. "Trust me, Hanbyul. Luhan isn't really going to leave us. Why do you think I haven't left you or the others yet?"

She nodded and moved in closer in his embrace. 

"Yah! Lovebirds, we're playing volleyball with some people, lets go!" Krystal shouted from up the shore. Daehyun and Hanbyul hadn't noticed that they all got out of the water and were with a bunch of college students, both male and female. 

Luhan looked at the two and couldn't help, but force a smile. His feelings for Hanbyul were still strong, but he was enduring it. 

Youngjae had noticed Luhan's change of expression and he knew what that face said. 

"Love hurts, doesn't it?" he softly said to Luhan; Luhan didn't react. "But the fact that the person you love is in love with your best friend hurts even more. Saving a friendship is already enough for you, hyung. Choose wisely on what you want."

Luhan still didn't respond and turned around following the crew to a different area on the beach. He didn't know what he wanted...love or friendship. He knew that he couldn't choose love because then his friendship would be ruined, but he wanted love...her love. 

The rest of the evening, they played volleyball with the people they met until the sun was sitting along the horizon. As the guys, excluding Youngjae, were playing the last round the girls went to buy some drinks at a local convenience store. 

"Don't you think that guy, Minho, was cute?" Krystal blushed at the thought of the tall, toned brunette haired man. "The way he spikes makes him even more charming~"

Hanbyul, Sulli and the unnies they met (Luna and Victoria) softly laughed as Krystal continued to admire Minho. 

"You should see him play soccer," Luna smiled brightly. "The girls go crazy!"

"I would too!" Krystal beamed. "Ugh! Too bad that tomorrow is our last day here."

"Why don't you guys hang out with us?" Victoria asked. "It's also our last day tomorrow."

"Really?!" Krystal gasped with the widest grin she could give and the two unnies nodded. Krystal looked to her friends. "Yah, lets hang out with them tomorrow."

"I'll pass, but you and Sulli can go," Hanbyul smiled. Krystal pouted. "I just want to relax at the resort since the next day is a school day."

"You sure?" Sulli asked as Hanbyul nodded.

"Maybe you could squeeze in a date with Daehyun," Krystal teased. Hanbyul's face flushed as the unnies looked at her with grins. 

"You and Daehyun are in a relationship?" Victoria asked with curious smile. Hanbyul was feeling embarrassed and shook her head. 

"What? How can you two not be in a relationship?!" Luna shouted with shock. "The way you two interact is of a couple!"

"Unnie, you're too loud," Hanbyul whispered as other customers began to stare. Krystal wrapped her arms around Hanbyul's body and rested her chin on Hanbyul's shoulder. 

"They make it so difficult that it even frustrates us," Krystal whined. 

"It's been happening since the middle of the school year," Sulli added with a sigh. Hanbyul was blushing so hard that her face seemed redder than a tomato. 

Luna nudged the young one in love and grinned. "Have you confessed to him yet?" 

Hanbyul's heart was racing and she felt sweat form on her palms. She blinked her eyes a few times and broke free from Krystal's embrace. 

"We should really start buying the drinks. The boys are waiting" Hanbyul said, changing the topic. The girls exchanged looks and their curiosity grew. 

"So you have," Victoria stated, wiggling her eyebrows. Hanbyul gulped and bit her bottom lip. "Awwh~ you have!"

"It wasn't much of a confession," Hanbyul defended, blushing once again. 

"Yah, you didn't tell us anything," Krystal pouted feeling betrayed. Hanbyul sighed, "Because it didn't feel like a confession. I just sort of blurted it out." (A/N: "Confession" can be found in Chapter 39)

"Poor child," Luna pouted and hugged Hanbyul. "You should properly confess to him since graduation is getting near. Who knows if you'll be able to see him again."

Hanbyul snickered and freed herself from Luna's hug. "Thanks for the advice unnie, but I'll wait."

"No, you should confess soon. Like tomorrow," Victoria encouraged. "You two will have time alone since Krystal and Sulli will be with us."

Hanbyul felt her heart race once again. She felt that she should confess to Daehyun, properly. 

"I guess I can do it tomorrow, but what about Luhan and Youngjae?" she asked. 

"We'll drag them with us," Sulli smiled. "So you're all set to go."

The girls gave Hanbyul thumbs up as support. 

"Awwh~ I just met you today and I'm already excited for you," Luna squealed. Hanbyul laughed and so they continued to talk about possible ways to confess while resuming their shopping for drinks. 

Meanwhile, the guys and another female college student, Amber, had just finished their last round of volleyball. They were all sweaty and out of breath. 

Daehyun and Luhan laid on the grass, breathing heavily. 

"Your skills have improved, Daehyun," Luhan praised. 

"Your skills haven't," Daehyun joked, making Luhan snicker. 

Youngjae walked up to them and handed them water bottles that he kept in his backpack; he was always prepared. 

"That was an intense game," Youngjae said as he sat in between them. "The way you guys spike the ball is a bit scary, especially you Daehyun hyung."

Daehyun grinned at the comment. "I'll take it as a compliment."

After waiting for a few minutes, the girls finally came back with some drinks. Everyone gathered around and took a water bottle or Vitamin Water drink. 

Hanbyul's friends gave her a look to go and talk to Daehyun about having a date. She was feeling nervous and didn't want to, so Krystal spoke. 

"Hey, Daehyun," she called his name. Luhan and Daehyun both turned their heads to her. "Hanbyul wants to ask you something."

Hanbyul widened her eyes and looked at Krystal, who pushed her towards Daehyun. 

"What do you want to ask me?" he asked, walking towards her. She bit her bottom lip and rubbed her hands together trying to find her words. "Wanna talk in private?"

She nodded. 

Daehyun excused himself from the rest and had her follow him. They walked a few meters away from the group and he stopped to turn and face her. 

"So, what'd you want to ask?" he asked once again. She still wasn't able to bring it out, but this conversation wasn't going to go anywhere if she didn't speak up. 

"Han-"

"Lets go on a date tomorrow! Just the two of us!" she blurted with her eyes shut tight. She was too embarrassed to face him. 

Taken aback, Daehyun blinked his eyes and gently smiled. "Why the sudden date?"

She gulped. "I...I just want a date!"

Daehyun snickered. "Okay then. We'll have a date, just the two of us."

Hanbyul's heart exploded with joy. 

"I assume I should expect a confession too," Daehyun grinned a smirk as Hanbyul blushed. "You can't fool me with a sudden date. I know what your intentions are with this date, so I'll look forward to it."

Hanbyul softly smiled and couldn't be any happier today knowing she was going to be able to confess to him properly. 

"Maybe I'll make my move tomorrow too," Daehyun smiled and walked up to her. "Because I don't think I can endure it anymore."

After hearing that, Hanbyul felt her whole entire body melt and he chuckled. "It's settled then. We'll meet tomorrow morning down in the lobby at 9."

She nodded and they both walked back to the group. 

That night, Hanbyul couldn't sleep at all. She kept tossing and turning wanting morning to come already, but she eventually fell into a deep slumber. 

Morning had finally come and she was up and ready for this date. She went down to the lobby to meet up with Daehyun, but he wasn't there. She took a seat on a couch and waited for him when Luhan walked up to her. 

"Morning Hanbyul," Luhan smiled as she returned the greeting. 

"Where's Daehyun?" she asked. He rubbed the back of his neck. 

"He's already gone," he answered. She cocked her head to the side, confused. "He went out with the others this morning."

Hanbyul felt her heart stop for a second. "He left? But today we were-"

"I'll be going in his place," Luhan cut her off. "Today will be a date with just the two of us."