Chapter 34

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

 

Hanbyul's POV~
 
Christmas had gone by as well as the New Years. Its already been 2 weeks after New Years and I had hung out with Krystal and Sulli for the first time of this year. We did the usual and had gone shopping for late New Years sales. 
 
We've been shopping for 2 hours now and our hands were pretty full with bags of clothes. After our little shopping trip, we headed over to Krystal's house. We stayed in her room as her mother brought up some drinks and snacks to munch on. 
 
"So, guess what guys," Krystal said, already in the mood to gossip. We gave her our attention as she chewed on some cookies. "Earlier this week I saw Luhan working at a cafe."
 
"What?!" Sulli shouted, shocked. I stared at the two and furrowed my eyebrows. 
 
"So what? Isn't that normal to have a job at this age?" I asked as Krystal and Sulli shook their head. 
 
"It's completely normal, but for Luhan it's not," Sulli said. 
 
"Luhan's a rich boy, his father is one of the richest man in Korea," Krystal said, sipping tea. I was still a bit confused at what she was pointing at. She understood that I was still confused so she sighed. "Luhan can live for another 15 years without having to work from his father's wealth, so there's no point of making money when his allowance is like over $100 dollars a day."
 
"But what if he wants to experience what it's like to work?" I asked as they exchanged looks. 
 
"Luhan is supposed to take over his father's inheritance and working at a cafe isn't going to be much help if he's going to take over," Sulli said. I blankly blinked my eyes and remembered seeing Luhan in a light brown shirt with his name on a gold name tag when he came to my house on Christmas Day to drop off gifts. 
 
"So he was in a rush for work," I mumbled as they stared at me. 
 
"What?" they asked. I smiled and shook my head, saying it was nothing. 
 
"It's weird though," Krystal said, tapping her chin. "I'm suspecting that his father went bankrupt, that's probably why he's working."
 
"Unless he was kicked out of his house and is now being independent," Sulli said, narrowing her eyes like she was thinking. I scoffed in disbelief and crossed my arms. 
 
"I'm pretty sure it's none of that," I said. "He's probably just making some money on his own for his benefit, who knows."
 
"That's a possibility too," Sulli said with a nod. 
 
"It's not a possibility, it's the truth," I said defending him and angrily munched on a cookie. 
 
"Well someone's trying to defend her man," Krystal snickered as I felt my heart skip a beat.
 
"He's not my man," I softly said and nibbled on my cookie. They giggled at me and we continued to talk about other topics that didn't include anymore gossiping. 
 
Daehyun's POV~
 
Today was colder than the usual cold days, but it didn't stop me from stepping out of my house for some fresh air. Something warm sounded nice to drink too and since I didn't have anything warm to drink at home, I headed to a random cafe. 
 
I entered and a female worker greeted me. I did a slight head bow and headed towards the counter. 
 
"Hello sir, what can I get you?" a male in his mid-20s asked with a bright smile. I didn't pay attention to his politeness and answered, "Just a cappuccino."
 
"Alright, would you like us to take it to your table or would you like to pick up from the counter?" he asked as I pulled out my wallet to pay. 
 
"Table," I simply answered and paid before heading to an empty table with a number card they handed me, so they'd know who's coffee belonged to who. I quietly sat alone waiting for my cappuccino when I saw Luhan serving a table. I was going to call out his name, but I held back and watched him. 
 
3 minutes passed and came Luhan with my drink. He looked at me, surprised yet embarrassed. 
 
"Hurry up and give me my drink, don't just stand here," I said, crossing my arms while staring at my drink. He hesitated towards me and forced on a smile. 
 
"Here's your drink...sir," he awkwardly said, avoiding my eyes. I gave him a "thank you" nod and sipped my cappuccino as he walked away. 
 
"Luhan," I called out his name before he got behind the counter. "When is your shift done?"
 
"Another hour and a half," he said. "Why?"
 
"Lets talk for a bit," I said as he looked at me, then walked away. 
 
Luhan's POV~
 
My shift was over and Daehyun didn't leave his seat. He stayed and kept ordering more drinks and a few scones to munch on. 
 
I walked out of the employees' changing room and took a seat across from him. 
 
"I thought we weren't going to have any interactions anymore?" I asked him, leaning back in my chair while crossing my arms. 
 
"What are you doing here?" he asked, ignoring my question. 
 
"Isn't it obvious?" I firmly asked. He scoffed with a smirk. 
 
"I want to know more than what I already know," he said. "Why are you working?"
 
"To learn a few things so that I can take over my father's businesses," I said, trying to sound convincing. 
 
"Your father's business?" he asked as I nodded. He smiled with a smirk and leaned over the table. "I didn't know your father served people with coffee."
 
I was speechless and swallowed hard, trying to keep a poker face. Daehyun leaned back in his chair and tilted his head. 
 
"Don't tell me, the rich boy went bankrupt," he continued to smirk. My heart raced in anger and I stared at him hard with clenched fists. I turned away from his eyes and let out a long sigh. 
 
"What exactly do you want from me?" I asked, getting irritated at the sight of Daehyun. 
 
"A friend," he said. My heart stopped for a split second as I turned to see him softly smile, but it didn't last long. "I'm just kidding. I won't be able to find a friend who won't turn their back on me, but I don't want anything from you. I was just...concerned."
 
"Concerned? Since when were you concerned about me?" I asked in disbelief. I know I should be relieved or happy that he was concerned, but I wasn't. 
 
"Since I saw you working," he said, tapping his fingers on the table. "The rich boy shouldn't be working."
 
"Who says the rich boy can't work?" I firmly asked, narrowing my eyes at him. He smirked and stood up from his seat. 
 
"Here I was concerned about you, maybe it was wrong of me to be concerned," he said glancing at me then turning his attention out the window. "Looks like it'll snow soon. Wear something warm when you leave. I'll go first."
 
He walked away as I stayed, feeling mixed emotions. 
 
"He's so hard to read sometimes. I can't tell whether he means what he's saying or not," I whispered before getting up and leaving the cafe. Standing at the corner of the street, I felt something cold land and melt on my cheek. I looked up and saw snow falling down. I deeply inhaled and slowly exhaled with a grin. 
 
"He was serious," I softly said. "He must really be concerned about me."
 
------
 
[A/N] : I know it's been "years" since I've last updated, but school has been really stressful these days and I apologize for not updating!!! I'll try to update as much as possible, but please continue to be patient with me~!! Thank you:)