Chapter 18

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Hanbyul's POV~

It's been 3 days since I've been sick, but I've gotten better as time went by. Daehyun and Luhan still came to check up on me, but they came different times avoiding each other. Krystal and Sulli would drop by too and buy small gifts for me, since I haven't been going out shopping with them lately. They came back today after school with Luhan to visit me.

"Hanbyul, when will you get better?" Sulli asked with a pout. "It's so boring with you not in class. It feels completely empty without you too."

"I should be able to come back to school tomorrow," I replied and ate the sweet potatoe bread Luhan had bought me. "Did we do anything new today though?"

"No, we just studied all day," Krystal replied, eating the bread from my hands. "Oh, we did get new seats though."

"Really? Who do I sit with now?" I asked.

"Surprisingly you didn't move at all, you're still in that lonely corner by the window," Krystal answered. "Not only that, but Daehyun didn't move either. You're both still desk buddies."

"Really?!" I shouted a bit too loud. I sunk in my bed and covered my mouth.

"Someone's happy," Sulli teased.

"Who, me? I'm not happy about it at all," I said shaking my hands in front of me.

"Sure you're not," Krystal teased and started laughing with Sulli. I glared at them with a pout and crossed my arms.

"Why do you all always tease me," I muttered and looked at Luhan. "You're quiet today."

"It's cause I want to give you time to talk to your best friends," he sweetly smiled. I smiled back and continued to hang out with the girls when they decided to go home since it was getting pretty late. Daehyun didn't drop by either, which kind of surprised me, but at the same time I wasn't.

"You better show up to school tomorrow," Krystal warned with a smile while pointing at me. I nodded and waved them goodbye while Luhan sat in his spot.

"Shouldn't you be going home too?" I asked him, but he shook his head.

"No one's waiting for me anyways," he softly smiled and took a sip of his drink. "Did Daehyun come by today?"

"Nope," I answered, "out of curiousity, but why don't you and Daehyun just make up? That way you wouldn't have to always avoid each other."

"Well, firstly he doesn't even want to talk to me. Second, even if I apologize first, he won't forgive me," he said. "But I guess this is what I get for abandoning him."

"Abandoned? What do you mean?" I asked, confused. He just smiled though and left me hanging, but that didn't bother me since it was a bit personal.

"Well, you should get some sleep so that you'll have the energy to go to school tomorrow," he said and stood up. "I'll be waiting to see you at school."

I nodded and waved him bye. Once he left the room, my family piled in the room.

"Hanbyul-ah, he must really like you to be coming over everyday," Yongguk grinned while laying down on his side next to me.

"Am I gonna have to go through this all again? Luhan oppa doesn't like me in that sort of way-"

"Sure he does, it's written all over his face," halmeoni smiled. "And when someone's in love, their face tends to brighten up."

"Halmeoni, it's just the lighting," Zelo stated. "By the way, Daehyun hyung didn't show up?"

"That's right! I didn't see him come by at all," umma said with curious eyes. "Did you get him sick too?"

"Umma," I pouted then sighed. "Daehyun probably has better things to do today and why should it matter if he comes by or not?"

"Aigoo~ someone's getting mad," appa teased. I glared at him and hid under my blanket, hearing their whispers, then their footsteps softly leaving the room.

"Hanbyul-ah, we don't mean to tease you like this," I heard halmeoni say, laying down besides me.

"That's what you said 3 days ago," I said, lifting the blanket off of me, huffing out a sigh.

"Do you really not see it though?" she asked, turning to face me. I faced her and sighed again.

"I always get the feeling they do, but I don't want to assume it," I said playing with my blanket. Halmeoni giggled and held my hand.

"My little girl will always remain a little girl," she said and held my hand tight, closing her eyes. "Just go to sleep now so that you have the energy to see them tomorrow."

I snickered and cuddled closer to her.

Daehyun's POV~

I stood in front of Hanbyul's house to see the lights turn off one by one. I should've come earlier to see her.

I sighed and walked back home to wait for the morning to come. I entered my empty house and went straight up to my room. Will she be at school tomorrow?

Morning had come and with a weird, unusual, excited feeling in me, I had the energy to wake up with wide open eyes. I quickly did my daily rountine and walked out of my house, towards Hanyul's. Once I was close, I saw Zelo close the gate with his skateboard, but I didn't see Hanbyul with him.

"Zelo-ah!" I shouted his name. He turned around and smiled once he saw me.

"Hyung~!" he shouted back, waving his arm up high in the air. I smiled and walked towards him. "Hyung, you're up quite early."

"Does that surprise you?" I asked, narrowing my eyes with a crooked smile.

"It does," he laughed, blinked his eyes at me. "Why are you up so early anyways?"

I didn't really know why myself, but I had to have an excuse, right?

"Well," I began to say while rubbing the back of my neck. "I-"

"Oh, Daehyun~!" I heard her voice, making me turn my head to her. Hanbyul smiled brightly at me and skipped down the steps towards us. "I'm surprised to see you this early in the morning."

I chuckled and sighed, "Is it really that surprising?"

"Yeah," both Hanbyul and Zelo chorused. We laughed and walked to the bus stop, getting there in time before it left. I sat with Hanbyul while Zelo sat with some friends of his, who lived in the area.

"Daehyun, why didn't you come by yesterday?" she asked, straight up. It was so sudden that I didn't really know how to answer her.

"I was gonna come by and visit, but I had things to do," I answered. "I was preparing this for you."

I reached into my backpack and handed her a pink notebook.

"What is this?" she asked, scanning it. "Are these notes?"

"Yeah, those are all the notes I took for you during the past 3 days," I said with an embarrassed smile. "I know Luhan already took notes for you, but I did it just in case he missed some points."

"Thank you op...uhm, Daehyun," she said with a grateful smile.

"You were going to say 'oppa', weren't you?" I asked with a playful smirk as she slowly nodded. I chuckled and poked her head, "You silly girl."

"S-silly girl?" she asked with round eyes. "Yah, who are you to call me a silly girl?!"

"Who am I?" I asked while tapping my chin to think. "Hmmm, well, I'm Jung. Dae. Hyun."

She stared at me in disbelief and deeply exhaled, "Jung Daehyun my ."

"What did you say?" I asked glaring down at her as she sunk in her seat, hiding behind the notebook.

"N-nothing," she mumbled and as soon as the bus doors opened, she ran out. I snickered and walked out after Zelo.

"Did you do something to the shortie?" Zelo asked as we both watched her run towards the school gates.

"Nothing at all," I answered with a shrug and yawned. "Gosh, coming to school just makes me sleepy."

Zelo snickered and we both walked through the gates, going separate ways. Entering the classroom, I saw Hanbyul with Krystal and Sulli. I walked towards them since they were by my seat.

"Oh, good morning Daehyun," Krystal and Sulli said with grins. I just stared at them, then nodded.

"Good morning to you both," I said and took my seat to have Hanbyul look at me; just staring. "What's with you? Why are you just staring at me?"

"It's nothing," she said and turned to face forward, but Krystal and Sulli got in my face.

"Daehyun, do you have plans this weekend?" she asked. I raised an eyebrow and leaned back in my seat to cross my arms.

"Why?" I asked.

"Well you see, Hanbyul wants to celebrate her birthday and she wanted you to-"

"Krystal unni," Hanbyul said, clearing . "I don't even know if I'm celebrating my birthday this week, I was just saying it."

"But you said-"

"Unni," she said, cutting Krystal off again. "I'll let you all know if it's been confirmed, but for now it's just an idea."

Sulli and Krystal exchanged looks then nodded, but I knew it just wasn't an idea.

"Why didn't you tell me your birthday was this weekend?" I asked placing my elbow on my desk and resting my chin on my hand, staring directly at her.

"Why do I need to?" she asked, shuffling with her stuff.

"First you say you miss me then you're going to act this way?" I asked with a smirk.

"M-miss you? When did I say that?" she asked with round eyes.

"In the bus, you asked me why I didn't come visit you and I interpreted as 'I missed you, why didn't you come visit me?'" I said with a grin. She scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"You're so full of yourself," she muttered and turned away. I snickered and felt someone staring at us; without any hesitation, I knew it was Luhan. I met eyes with him to see that they were a bit sad, more like jealous. He softly smiled at me and turned away as class began.