Chapter 19

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Daehyun's POV~

The school day had ended and I walked out with Hanbyul to find Zelo.

"About your birthday-"

"I'm not having a birthday party Daehyun," Hanbyul interrupted me. I looked down at her with a gaze that said, "Listen to me."

"I'm not asking about your party," I said as we stood by the school's gate to wait for Zelo. "I was asking about your birthday present...what kind of things do you like?"

"You don't have to worry about buying me a birthday present," she said with a smile.

"Yah, I'm trying to be nice here at least accept my offer," I said irritated already.

"And why would you buy me a gift?" she asked with a scoff, then widened her eyes. "Did you steal something from me?! Did you do something wrong?!"

"Since when did I ever do something wrong to you?! I've always been nice to you, haven't I?!" I shouted at her to have our peers stare at us.

"Yeah right, not when I first transferred into this school!" she shouted back, but of course this kind of argument wasn't a harsh one. It was one of those childish teenagers arguing. "The only way guilty people can become innocent is by being nice to the victim!"

"Yah! Can't you just understand that I want to be nice to you by buying you a birthday present?!" I said as she was about to say something, but didn't say anything. "Forget it! I'm not going to be nice to you anymore!"

I huffed out a sigh and walked away when I heard her footsteps run after me. I smirked and stopped to have her bump into me.

"I'm sorry for not believing you," she said, rubbing her forehead, which had hit my back. "About my present-"

"I said forget it," I said and poked her head to have her head swing back a bit. "Go ask Luhan to buy you a gift."

"L-Luhan? Why him?!" she shouted at me.

"Exactly what I'm trying to say, why me?" I said with a scoff and walked away. I walked further away from her when I saw Luhan leaning against a wall, as if he was waiting for her. I deeply exhaled and walked past him, looking away from him.

"Oh, Daehyun-ah," he said as I groaned. So much for trying to not be noticed.

I stopped walking and turned around to face him, tapping my foot for him to continue to talk.

"Have you seen Hanbyul?" he asked as I scoffed in disbelief.

"She was just yelling at me earlier and she's angry, so I suggest you leave her alone to cool off," I said turning my back to him. "If you want a scolding then wait for her all you want, she's probably still at school waiting for Zelo."

"Thanks Daehyun," he said and I heard him walk away. I glanced behind me and saw his back, walking further and further away from me. Not only did you turn your back on me years ago, but you're turning your back on me again; this time for that girl.

Hanbyul's POV~

"I swear, his name is not Jung Daehyun, but Jerk Daehyun," I muttered, kicking the pebbles on the ground.

"Shortie~!" I heard Zelo shout as he ran up to me.

"YAH! What took you so long?!" I shouted to have him flinch.

"Sh-shortie, you okay? Y-you're not on your time of month...are you?" he asked, frightened.

"Does it look like I am?" I asked through clenched teeth. He hesistantly nodded and ran away from me. "Why do all boys make me angry?"

"Hanbyul? You're still here?" I heard a soft voice ask. I looked at the person and my heavy chest immediately lightened up.

"Luhan oppa," I smiled at him. "What are you doing back here at school?"

"Daehyun told me you were still here waiting for Zelo, but I just saw him running," he said pointing down the street where Zelo ran.

"Oh, did you?" I said with an awkward laugh. "Then, did you only come back for me?"

Luhan sheepishly smiled and nodded.

"I wanted to walk you home," he said rubbing the back of his neck. "Should we get going? Don't wanna miss the bus."

I nodded and so we walked to the bus stop. Of course, heading in the same direction as Daehyun, he was also at the bus stop.

"Well look who it is, Miss Crabby Pants," Daehyun scoffed in a mocking tone.

"Do you want to die?" I muttered.

"As if you can do such things," he snickered and turned his back to me. "Did you tell Luhan?"

"Tell me what?" Luhan asked looking down at me.

"Her birthday present," Daehyun said, not even turning his back.

"Birthday present?" Luhan asked with round eyes. "Why didn't you tell me your birthday was today?!"

"Well, it's not today but this coming weekend," I said.

"Even still, you should've told me about your birthday. I'd be happy to buy you a gift," he said with a smile. "Should I give you a birthday party?"

"It's okay oppa, you don't have to go that far for me," I said with a smile.

"Cause she isn't worth it," Daehyun said, making my blood pressure rise up once again.

"You must really want to die," I said as I heard him softly chuckle.

"Oh how nice that would be," he said glancing back to give me his cold eyes.

"Daehyun-ah, you shouldn't say those things to Hanbyul," Luhan said with a concern tone.

"Tch, standing up for her I see," he said, his tone much more harsh than I've ever heard. "You couldn't even stand up for that one person you claimed as your best friend, so how can you stand up for her?"

"Daehyun-"

"What? You want me to stop or do you want to apologize?" Daehyun asked, interrupting Luhan; I just had to be in the middle of this too. "Just standing here makes me irritated."

Daehyun deeply exhaled and gave one last cold look at Luhan before walking away with his backpack slung over his shoulder. I had the urge to run after him, but my feet wouldn't move. What exactly just happened?

I looked up to Luhan, who looked like he didn't have a single soul in him; almost like one of those street performers who just stood in place acting like a statue.

"Oppa, once we get to my house, why don't you join us for dinner?" I asked, hoping it'd lighten up his mood, but he gave me no reply or any reaction. "How about we go on a little date? I haven't been here in Seoul for long and I still don't know the place well, so you could be my tour guide? What do you say?"

He still gave me no reaction or response so I held his hand and dragged him to wherever I was going.

Daehyun's POV~

I stopped at a nearby park to sit down and cool off. I don't know how I even got mad from the start...was it because he was standing up for Hanbyul from my harsh words? Or maybe because he was standing up for the girl...the girl I might be in love with...?