BONUS STORY!

What Hurts More, Friendship or Love?

Luhan's POV~

 
The summer heat filled the empty classroom as I did some mathematics exercises. During this time of year, the school turns off all their airing systems, so there was no A/C at all. Mr. Chae was sitting at his desk yawning and twirling his pen. 
 
The past few weeks were boring, tiring and lonely without seeing any of my friends. But, they did occasionally text me and cheer me on in my studies so I couldn't let them down, not anymore. 
 
"Luhan," I heard Mr. Chae speak with a hoarse voice. I looked up from my worksheet to him as he gave another yawn. "Shall we continue this tomorrow? It's really hot today, I feel like I'm gonna get a heat ."
 
I snickered and nodded.
 
"Thats fine with me," I smiled and he immediately started packing his belongings. 
 
"I'll see you tomorrow then," he smiled and walked out of the classroom with sweat stains on his shirt. I let out a snort at the sight then picked up after myself before leaving the classroom. 
 
Rather than going home though, I went to a nearby public library to continue my exercises and study a bit. It wasn't a far walk, so I arrived a bit later and entered the building. 
 
For some reason, it was filled with students, but then again it was quite a small building. There was no empty table, so I decided to randomly sit at a table on the second floor by the windows. The person I was sitting with was a girl who seemed to have entered her first year of college. She had long black hair that shined from the sun's light; pale skin and had on a pair of glasses. She looked graceful and elegant. 
 
Surrounding her were a bunch of books; romance, fantasies and mystery genres it seemed like. I knew I was staring, so I turned away and focused on my materials. 
 
I don't know how long I was there for, but she had already gone through 2 books (not that I was keeping track) and I had finished all the required materials I had to do for tomorrow. I decided this was a good time to stop, so I packed all my things and stood up when I noticed that her head was bobbing up and down. I looked down at her to see that her eyes were closed and the book she was holding was loosely held. I wasn't sure what to do, but I couldn't let her hit her head on the table if it decided to fall. 
 
I thought for a bit, then pulled out my cardigan from my backpack and folded it into a pillow. I placed it in front of her and slowly took the book from her hands, making sure to put a bookmark in between the pages she had left on. I set the book on the table and just like that, her head fell onto my cardigan. Surprised, I repositioned her head and caught a glimpse of her face; she was beautiful. I shook my head to get rid of the thought and quietly left the scene. 
 
The next day and the following days was the same routine. Getting up early, preparing for school, turning in my exercises, going over my studies and what not. The only thing that changed was that I went straight to the library right after school. My main focus was to study, but I realized that my mind would always be distracted. Every now and then, I would look up from my textbook and look around the library as if I was searching for someone. I didn't have to question myself on who I was looking for, but I never saw that person since then. 
 
Hours had gone by and I packed up my things. I walked down one of the aisles when I bumped into a woman causing her to drop her books. I widened my eyes and kneeled down to help her pick them up. 
 
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you," I apologized, handing her the books I had in my hands. When I looked up, our eyes met and I felt like I had forgotten to breathe. This woman...really is beautiful. 
 
"I'm at fault as well," she spoke in a soft, sweet voice and we both stood up at the same time. I just smiled and walked away when she spoke. 
 
"Thank you," she said in a loud whisper, since we were in a library. I stopped in my tracks and looked at her as she continued. "For the other day...thank you."
 
"So she knew it was me," I thought to myself. She reached in her purse with a struggle, then pulled out my cardigan. 
 
"I've tried to meet you everyday to return it, but my timing was always off," she shyly smiled. I walked up to her and held my hand out to grab it. She placed it in my hand and clutched onto her books, in a shy gesture.
 
"I made sure to wash it before I returned it to you, so I apologize if it smells weird," she whispered with a rosy shade on pink on her cheeks. 
 
"It doesn't smell weird at all," I quietly laughed. "Thank you."
 
She nodded and we stood there in silence. 
 
"Well, I should get going," I said and bowed to her. "Have a good evening."
 
I my heels when she spoke, making me stop again. 
 
"Will you be here tomorrow?" was what she asked. I widened my eyes slightly then softened my gaze and turned to her with a smile. 
 
"4:30," was all I said and walked away. 
 
Since then, she and I had met at the library. We had small talks here and there, slowly getting to know one another. 
 
Her name was Seohyun, she was a freshman in college, meaning she and I were the same age, with a major in writing. She had a feminine, shy and bubbly personality. She has a pet cat and loves reading. 
 
She knew I was still in my last year of high school taking summer classes to finish by the end of this summer. She knew who my father was and what he had done. She knew I was living alone and she knew who my friends were as I had told her all those things in the past month and a half.   
 
One day, I had met with Hanbyul to have lunch with her since she wasn't doing anything. She didn't start school until the fall, so she was just working for the summer. 
 
She and I didn't go anywhere fancy; we went to a Chinese restaurant and ordered the classic jjajjamyeon and sweet, sour and fried pork. We talked about how our summer was and about my summer classes. She gave me updates on how Sulli was doing in Australia preparing for her overseas study there; how Krystal was enjoying her summer in NY with her sister and how Youngjae was ready to rip out his hair as he was taking summer courses. 
 
I couldn't help but laugh and smile at the stories she shared with me. But there was a story I had the urge to tell her. She noticed my change of gestures and expression so she asked, "Is there something wrong?"
 
I pursed my lips in thought of whether to tell her or not. 
 
"Oppa...?" she said with a cheeky smirk. I swear, girls always catch on to these things so quickly. "What are you hiding? Is it a girl?"
 
I let out a big sigh and nodded. Her eyes widened and she gave the biggest smile ever! 
 
"You've got yourself a girl!!" she squealed and I told her to quiet down. She couldn't contain her excitement and asked me a whole bunch of questions. 
 
I chuckled and shook my head in disbelief. 
 
"Calm down and I'll tell you," I said and she obeyed. She sat perfectly straight in her chair and waited for me to continue with sparkling eyes. "Well...her name is Seohyun and we met at the library...."
 
I told her everything and she squealed here and there. 
 
"...I like having her around, but that doesn't mean I like her, does it?" I questioned, but it was more directed to myself. 
 
"Well, how did you know you were in love with me?" she asked and all the feelings I had for Hanbyul were brought up in my mind. The way I felt towards Hanbyul when I loved her were similar yet so different compared to the way I felt about Seohyun. 
 
"When I was in love with you, all I thought about was you; making sure you'd be mine one day and feeling that pain in my chest," I honestly spoke. "But with her, I don't get that."
 
"Maybe because your heart knows that there's no one else who will take her away from you," Hanbyul smiled and that snapped some sort of sense in my brain. "Because your heart seems pretty confident right now, not having to fight so hard to make her yours. That's why you feel at ease."
 
And with that, my heart started racing. Maybe she was right...I'm at ease because I know one way or another she'd come my way. I looked at Hanbyul with a smile of realization. 
 
"You may be right," I said and we both decided to end our lunch date. 
 
Days turned to weeks and it turned to months; without being aware of it, I was finally graduating and freeing myself of being a high schooler (as weird as that sounds). The night before I had Skyped everyone asking if they would be attending my graduation. 
 
"I've already told you before my departure that I wouldn't be able to make it," Daehyun said, apologetic. 
 
"I know, but I thought I'd try anyways," I said with a faint smile. "What about the rest of you?"
 
"I'm so sorry oppa!" Sulli said with a sad pout. "I wasn't able to book a flight in time."
 
"Yeah, there was something wrong with my ticket coming back home, so I'm stuck here for another few days," Krystal sighed in annoyance. Slowly, my heart started tightening. 
 
"I'm sorry hyung but I've got a midterm exam that I have to study for, I hope you understand," Youngjae quietly said with his head hung low. I swallowed hard and forced a smile. 
 
"Its fine guys, I understand...what about you Hanbyul?" I asked and she didn't look like her happy self. 
 
"Sorry, I wasn't able to request tomorrow off...," she said. "But that doesn't mean we didn't try, oppa. We really want to be there for you tomorrow."
 
"I know," I said and sighed. "But I'm expecting a long letter from you guys congratulating me!"
 
They laughed and agreed to do so. After another hour or so, we ended our call and I went to bed to prepare for tomorrow. 
 
The next day, I received my diploma from Principal Oh in front of Mr. Chae and Daehyun's mom. It was a quiet ceremony, but I was glad that there was at least someone there to witness it. Earlier that morning I had received a letter from my dad and a bunch of text messages from everyone else. That itself was enough to make me happy and most of all, Seohyun congratulated me with a phone call. 
 
After the short ceremony was over, Mrs. Jung sent me home, but I soon realized we weren't heading in my direction. Flustered, I turned to face her. 
 
"Why don't you rest for the remainder of the ride?" she smiled without looking at me. I opened my mouth to question her, but decided it was best not to. I closed my eyes and dozed off into a sleep. 
 
I don't know how long I was asleep for, but I opened my eyes to the smell of salt water. I was aware that we were no longer in Seoul, but in Busan. I looked at Mrs. Jung who was smiling. 
 
"You slept well," she said glancing at me. "We should be arriving soon."
 
"Arrive to..?" I questioned with a sleepy voice, but she didn't answer. It felt weird suddenly being in Busan without being told anything. Not to mention, I was still clothed in my cap and gown. 
 
Another 10 minutes later, we arrived at a luxurious house. I stepped out and looked at her. She gestured me to go inside and so I did. It was completely empty and dark. 
 
"Hello?" I called out when suddenly the lights and there was a loud popping noise along with cheers. 
 
"Congratulations!" I heard their voices and instantly my eyes were burning. I felt confetti on my hair and I looked up to see all my friend approaching me with the happiest smiles on their faces. They weren't the only ones there; Hanbyul's family were here as well...the family who had supported me and believed me all this time.
 
Daehyun was in the middle with a cake and candle. 
 
"Congrats, hyung! You've deserved it!" he grinned, holding the cake in front of me. I felt a tear slip out and I laughed a little. 
 
"What's all this?" I said trying to sound tough. "You guys said you wouldn't make it."
 
"It was an obvious lie," Krystal laughed. 
 
"We were all at Krystal's house that night we Skyped, just in different parts of her house," Sulli smiled. 
 
"We could never miss such a special occasion," Youngjae beamed and placed a paper cone hat on me. I laughed and wiped my tears away. 
 
"Hurry and blow the candles already!" Daehyun scolded and blew out the candles to have everyone clap and cheer. I laughed and gave everyone a hug. I was going to question why they celebrated it here in Busan, but I realized that we all held dear memories here with each other.
 
After an emotional reunion, halmeoni said, "I bet you're hungry, so let's go out to the back and eat!"
 
We all nodded and started walking to the back of the house when I heard a voice that made my heart skip. 
 
"Sorry I arrived late," she said and I turned around to see Seohyun standing there, shy. 
 
"No, you're just in time!" Hanbyul exclaimed and skipped up to her, then looked at me. "I was able to meet her and invited her. I hope you don't mind, oppa."
 
I smiled and shook my head. I felt my face blush and I noticed Seohyun was blushing too. I could hear my friends teasing me from behind, but I ignored them and walked up to Seohyun as Hanbyul left her side. 
 
"Thanks for coming," I said and she smiled sweetly. 
 
"When Hanbyul asked me to come, I answered 'yes' in a heartbeat," she said. "I can never miss such a special day, oppa. I'm proud of you."
 
I felt warmth and love fill my mind and heart at her sweet and sincere words. Surely, I knew this woman standing before me would become mine one day and these people...these people whom I call friends, I will always love.