Chapter 33

Destined to Meet

Sooyoung’s POV

9 February 2011. Times pass fly really slow and today is my birthday. I stared at those wrapped presents and cards – given by my team, Krystal, TaeNy and YoonYul. Thank you, everyone – I almost forgot of my own birthday.

I opened my meeting book and called Krystal whether any meeting for today – negative answer – not even a single meeting or shoot for today.

Why am I not surprise? It still the beginning of the month and of course our team – chief editor, exclusive journalist, exclusive graphics, printing division, advertising division, marketing division – are prepared themselves, focus more on our next project in Jeju Island.

Jeju Island, are you still remember me?


*flashback*

After four days stayed in the hospital, my family left the island and stayed with my aunt in Seoul. My last time saw our house was about three years ago – thanks for the trip that organized by my college – Yuri and I walked around the island and tried to find the best shot for the assignment.

Yuri claimed that she passed by burnt house on the way to our hostel – I ask her the location and she explained it precisely.

I went out of the hostel into the warm sunny day. This is my favourite season – summer in this island. Then an idea came to me, I brought Yuri along with me to take a look of my house – deserted house that was left for almost nine years since the incident.

As soon as we reached the place – expected view – only burned poles were left, still stood in the land. Happy fungus were grown in remaining wood-made furniture and the floor was quite slick because of the fungus.

The house that bring happiness to my family and my childhood friend once are now devastate and getting wipe out along with time.

Jessica? I wonder where she is now. This hometown is small – and by walking is only takes about 10 minutes to her house. To my surprise the house does not seemed uninhabited – cobweb are everywhere, the windows are smashed, door are left open, and weeds grown wildly around the house.

An old man – trying to light his cigarette – stopped and glanced. I asked him where the owner of the house gone is and his answer was really shocking.

“Their parents had passed away two years ago and left their daughter behind. The oldest daughter had died nine years ago because of the accident in this island. Poor the couple – even during they breathe their last breath they still talked about their late daughter. It was the hardest acceptance in this family – luckily their relatives volunteered themselves to take care of the youngest one.”

*end of flashback*


Once again I stared at the clock – at last 6pm. I took my bag and greet the staffs before walked out from the building.

Jessica’s father is coming home tonight. Should I ask her whether I need to wait for her or not? I took out my hand phone from my bag and searched for her name in my contact names.


Jessica’s POV

Owh yes at last the time is over. 6 pm. I grabbed my bag and rushing straight to the parking lot. Sooyoung must be waiting for me. My hand phone in my bag vibrated and the screen displayed Summer – that’s Sooyoung’s name in my phonebook. She must be waiting for me right now.

I stopped my step as I saw a tall tanned girl trying to unlock her bonnet car, pressed her hand phone between her right ear and right shoulder – trying to make a call.

I approached the girl, identifying the camera bag in her hand as she placed the bag on the floor. With a smirk on my face, I sneaked up behind Sooyoung. I popped out behind the tall girl, snatching the bag and running off as swiftly as I could.

“Jessica, give that back,” shouted Sooyoung.

I turned around so that I could face Sooyoung, running backwards. Sticking my tongue out, I laugh, although I was running backwards, I was quite a distance away from struggling. Why Sooyoung, can’t you run speeder than this?

I could see Sooyoung’s face scrunch up in anger as she pushed herself to run. For some reason, her face turned alarmed, her eyes are widening and opening up. “Jessica, watch out!”

Before I could have any clue as to what she was talking about, I already crashed hard into something. The impact was great, the pain seeping into my head down. I felt to the ground, carefully rubbing the back of my head.

Once Sooyoung reached me, she held out her hand with a smile. I looked up the smiling face, weakly reached out to take Sooyoung’s hand. It was all too familiar, Sooyoung pulling me up once again. And the warmth. I couldn’t forget the warmth.

Sooyoung, did I ever know – met you before?