Chapter 26

Destined to Meet

 

Hyoyeon’s POV

There were not many people about on the street,and scarcely any through traffic. A few cars were parked here and there. “Ah! Night club isn’t it?” my head stared at the blinking sign at the shop. It’s been a long time since my last time here – I murmured to myself.

My heart jumped as a flash of lightning pierced the sky. Thunders rumbled through the electric air and right through my bones.The hair prickled on the back of my neck. Someone was watching me. Someone was standing right behind me. Gathered my courage, I quickly turned my head. All I could see was rolling can in front me.

I shook my head. Stop being paranoid, I told myself. It’s the storm that’s making you so tense.

Flinching nerves again! Once again I turned my head and scanning every single corner of the buildings that I just passed by just now. It was almost darkness, with the dim light of lightning.

Why am I insanely walking through this street? I moved on slowly, schooling myself to calmness.

Then a dark-dressed stranger appeared at one of the small gap between the building and swinging a knife in a free right hand.Tightly gripped the golden handle, the movement of the stranger are getting closer.

Can I assume that the stranger is she? Her body shape is obviously a girl, or female, or a lady – and I could say her lack of height gave more extra credit that right now I am facing a ‘she’ attacker. The sudden lightning appeared reflected her yellow silk skin and – yes – I’m so sure that right now I’m facing a ‘she’ attacker.

I tried to lower my body, but before I could duck, burning pain of the knife slashing my left arm can be felt. The crashing thunders do not alone tonight – as the rain suddenly poured out from the sky.

I grabbed my cut as tight as I could – the pain is getting greater because of the rain. My vision was getting blur and it very hard for me to open my eyes wide – the raindrops kept on hitting my eyes.

She knew the best time to attack – when I was trying to wipe away the rain from my eyes that covered my view. She kicked right to my chest – causing me to lose my balance and fell down. Lying on the floor, I raised my body using my both arms, eyeing as she getting closer to grab the chance. Why does she want to kill me?

There must be something that can protect me right now. My gun! I knocked my head mentally. I left my gun in the car. Don’t just stare there, Hyoyeon? Do you want to die here on the spot? Wildly I stared at the floor – there must be something that I can do to keep my distance from this crazy nut. But how?

As she walked closer, I kicked her both legs with my strong kick, causing her to slipped and fell. I rose to my feet and ran for my life before she got up and chased me. For couple of times I slipped through the pavement – luckily I just parked my car around here. Crazily I searched for my car key inside my pocket – as I could hear her steps were getting closer.

Gotcha! I took out the key from one of my pocket and opened the driver door as soon as I reached my car. I tried to start the engine in panic as the attacker was getting closer to my car. She knocked the window – exactly beside the door I sat. By using her knife, she pierced the window – causing the window to crack – and she punched the cracking window.

At last – the engine start to working and without doubting I pressed the pedal – screeched sound from the front tyres can be heard – as my car left the attacker from behind. From my side mirror I could see that she just stood still – and waving – just like nothing happened – and it is more than enough to crack my spirit today.

Whoever she is, she must have born a great grudge towards me for a long time. Is she related to the case that I involved recently? There is only one way to find out – going back home.



“Wait a minute,” high-pitched Taeyeon can be heard even though she was shouting from the kitchen. I knocked the doors several times – in the same time wildly turned my head behind. I don’t want that crazy nut following me from behind.

“Hyoyeon! What happen to you?” Taeyeon asked.Soaking wet, I burst through the door. “Don’t go anyway, Hyoyeon. I’m going to take towel for you,” Taeyeon said, her feet rushing to the bedroom. Moment later, she came back again with the towel in her hands, “here, take this.”

While I wiping my face with the towel, other footsteps can be heard coming out from the kitchen and it getting closer,“Hyoyeon, what’s happen? And where do you get those bloody shirt on your arm?”Tiffany said, narrowing her smile-eyes that melt everyone that see it – especially the person that wins her heart, Taeyeon.

Before I could explained anything, Tiffany screamed to the top of her lungs and punched Taeyeon’s arm who stood beside her, “Taeyeon, bring out your first aid kit. The blood comes from her flesh.Bring it quickly,” and without a word Taeyeon nodded.

“I prefer to take a bath first before you treated my cut, Tiffany. Besides, the cut is not too deep. There’s nothing to be worry about okay?” I patted her shoulder while walking to the bathroom –with the towel around my neck.



Tiffany spied me from the gaps of the door as I wearing my pyjamas. Whispering can be heard – even though they had tried their best to slower their voice.

“Just come in you two. Why are both you need to stand there?” I said.

The door opened – Taeyeon appeared first as Tiffany pushed her from behind. Sometimes I really wish that I could get sweet partner just like both lovely birds in front of me right now.

“Where’s your cut just now?” Tiffany asked, with the first aid kid in her hand. I raised my left arm – and she flipped back the arm of the shirt to view the cut.

“Hyoyeon, this cut is way too long,” she said and looked at the cut closer, “but luckily it does not too deep,” she said while opened the aid kit – taking out the antiseptic and the yellow lotion bottle along with the bandage and cotton wool.

Taeyeon pulled the chair behind her and sat in front of me, “now tell me, Hyoyeon. Does it related to your duty or what? Where do you have all of those scratch and bruises?” she asked while pointing the scratched on my arms and knees.

And of course, I told them the story from A toZ.

As soon as Tiffany finished bandaged my hand up, she walked to the dustbin – throwing away those used cotton wool to clean my cut – and said, “I don’t think that she just playing around, Hyoyeon, if she dare to face you and it could be harmful once you walk alone outside there.Maybe she was watching you for a long time, waiting for the great chance to attack you or it could be that she wants to take your life too. You should be more careful from now on, Hyoyeon. Your job is very risky and exposed to danger almost every day,” while sitting next to me.

Taeyeon nodded her head, “Tiffany’s right,Hyoyeon. You should be very more careful next time. It is your luck for she does not know your car yet or else she must have punctured your tyres first before attacked you just now. You should be very careful from now on, Hyoyeon.”

I nodded, accepting both their advice. As both them asking for excuse to go out from my room and let me get enough rest, I laid on the bed while placing my hands above my head. What they had said is reality true. Whoever is the person, she won’t let me free like that. All she wants it could be one, my life.

 

Yuri’s POV

I watched the ticking clock on the wall as I finished the newspaper that Sooyoung brought this evening. There’s nothing new about the head story of the news – besides than politics and social issues.

Aish. What makes Yoona takes such a long time to come here?

I was jolted when the front door of my room slammed open. In front of the door, stood a lady walking enter the room.

Who? – I thought nervously. “Who is it?”

To my surprise she walked slowly and switched off the light. The lightning from outside flashed the room once – I can’t see the face very well – she stepped into the dark with her hands behind her back,smiling.

No! Don’t tell me the attacker is coming again to attack me.

“What do you want from me?” I asked her. Once again lightning appeared followed by echoed thunders. The lady said nothing in return. She walked even closer – now stood in front of the bed – facing my paralysed feet.

Yoona, where are you? I cried as I watched she pulled one of the tables nearby and placed it exactly in front me. My eyes wildly saw what she was hiding – as she brought her hands out from behind her back.

An oblong box – about 7 inch height – was placed on the table. She patted my shoulder, sliding her hand behind my back and raised my back. She placed a pillow right behind my back – and she pulled the table closer to me now. 

I was motionless – my mind is empty blank right now. What should I do? Yoona, please come here quickly. I tried to control my sobbed as I cried unstoppable right now– I could imagine the box could be containing a bomb or her weapons to slash my flesh right now.

She opened the box – and pulled out a knife? Is she now holding a knife? Is she going to kill me now? And that’s not all. She took out a tiny long thing – as long as your finger – she ‘pierced’ it inside the box causing it to stand still. Is it a bomb? Is she’s going to make my body into pieces?

“Ah! Matches!” the lady said– but why her voice is recognisable? She took out matches from her pocket, trying to light up the fire by scratching the head of the wood to the box – but it failed.

“It must be because of the rain,” she walked to the drawer and pulled it. With her back facing me, scratch sound between the finger and the roller of the lighter can be heard – the lighted fire brighten the room for a while but does not enough for me to see her face – she blew out the fire from the lighter as she walked closer to the bed. 

“She must be very surprise seeing this once I wake her up,” she said – once again struggling to produce fire from the lighter. “Yes,” she exclaimed – the fire appeared from the mouth of the lighter– as she placed the fire closer to the “pierced” thing. 

What the?

Is it a cake? She is none other than Yoona – is this the thing that she wants me waiting for? With the help of the lighted candle I could see her very well – her face and hair were soaked with water – she must had to travel through the rain on the way she went here. 

She placed her raincoat on the coatrack and squeezed her hair. She slipped on the floor – with her knees roughly knocked on the floor as she wanted to walk closer.

“Yoona!” I said – surprise by her sudden fall in front me and tried to rise up from the bed – Arrghh! The pain from my tummy is killing me.

“Yuri? Are you awake?” she said, raising herself with both her hands and patted her knees. She walked tip-toed and sat at the side of the bed. “Did I wake you up? I’m so sorry.” She said, placing her palms on my cheeks. 

“Yuri, are you crying?” she wiped away the tears left because of my uncontrolled fear just now. “Are you happy with my surprise?”

“Yes, Yoona, I’m very happy. It just that,” I wiped out those fluid on my face using my long sleeves shirt, “the way you entered the room – I suddenly remembered the incident. The way you come to the room – I thought she’s going to come to my room and kill me.”

“I’m just making you fear, Yuri? I’m so sorry,Yuri. I didn’t mean to make you scare, Yuri. I just want to make a surprise to you. I …” tears appeared from her eyes, “I’m so sorry, Yuri. I didn’t mean to.”She cried loudly – there is no sign of stop.

I pulled her head to my shoulder and patted her back, “its okay. I knew that you’re doing this for good purpose,” and I patted back until the sound of her cried are getting lowered.

“What flavour do you buy for me?” I asked. “I wish it was chocolate flavour.” 

She laughed as she wiped her remaining tears on her cheeks. “Your guess is right, Yuri. I know that you love chocolate from the Internet that I read right before I decided to buy you cake.”

“Now what are we waiting for? Let’s eat the cake.” I said, while patting her back.

While Yoona searched for paper plate, I asked her, “did you call Sooyoung to come here too?” she shook her head, “no. Why? Do you want me to call her right now?”

“Nu uh. Let the night be ours. I don’t want anyone who disturbs my night especially with you.”

Yoona’s face glowing as she bowed - walking to cut the cake. “If you say so, Yuri.”