Chapter 16

Destined to Meet

Chapter 21



Yuri’s POV

I opened my eyes in the morning, as the chirps from the outside of the buildings woke me up. 

Wah! I rose up my hands, stretching my body.Ouch! The pain from my abdomen and left arm are killing me. 

“If I were you, I won’t do that,” a female voice spoke, while checking my blood pressure, heart beat and pulse written on the machine that connect to my chest and wrist.

“I shouldn’t like to try. I take it you’ll assure me that you’ll stay around here all the time?” I joked.

“Of course,” she said, “besides it is my job to ensure you are living with the air breathes in as soon as you healthy and strong just like before.”

“I thought that today is just like my ordinary day. Waking up at seven, take a shower, wearing clothes and contact lens...”

“Contact lens? Are you long-sighted or short-sighted?” nurse Yoona asked.

“Actually my eyes can’t tolerate with overexposed light. I’m an assistance photographer in one of the famous company in Seoul.” I raised my hand, the uninjured one, pretending that I was taking a picture.

“Smile nurse Yoona,” and yes she turned her body towards me and smiled, “Hahaha. Good joke for today. I don’t have any camera in my hand. How do I want to let you see yourself in the photo?”

She checked my dripper and said, “Your job must be interesting right Yuri? Meet with model and even high class stars. You are the lucky one; have a chance to meet all of them.”

“Actually it also dangerous job too.” I placed my hand under my head.

“I still remembered this incident and I will never forget it. I was involved in one commercial making, with the theme of ‘Snowy and Sneaking.’ The wind should be placed at the right side of the male model so that the fake snowflakes will blow steadily, just like in winter. But the model wanted the fan to be placed at his back, because he felt hot wearing the hoot and of course the PD just follows him without telling me the changes of the fan position.”

Nurse Yoona now sat on my bed, “and then what happen?”

“And the shoot begun,” I continued the story.“As soon as the PD said action, the fan is switched on, the snowflakes was spreading but the flakes scattering towards me and all of my crew. The flakes are too much even we can’t see the motionless model in front. And then…”

“And then…” nurse Yoona questioned.

“And then flakes get into my eyes. Of course I shouted in pain as the main active ingredient is solid nitrogen. The crew rushed me to the hospital and I was diagnosed that the chances for me to see again is terribly low. I cried and cried and I forget when my last time was crying. I love my profession. No. Photographing is my passion. I never regret with my job even though I had to spend whole life in the studio, playing with tons of acid and films.”

Without realizing I burst in tears, “the doctor said there’s only a chance to get back my precious sight; operation but I know the chance is only 50:50. I don’t even know where I got the confidence and courage to say ‘yes doctor, I want you to operate my eyes.’” I laughed.

“My eyes were bandaged and all I could see during that time is black and dark. The doctor seemed surprised with my decision because he paused for a long time. And then the next day they said everything is ready, hope that the operation will going to work, Hahaha…even I can sense the doctors are very nervous that time. And now here I am,” I blinked my eyes several times, “I can see again but the disadvantage is I cannot over expose to light including sunlight and reflection from the mirror.” 

I heard sobbed from my side and saw nurse Yoona sat backed me. I patted her back firmly, “Are you crying nurse Yoona?”

She wiped her tears and faced me, “I’m not crying Yuri. No Yuri, I mean sorry for my altitude. I easily get touched hearing sad story from my patients. I’m really impressive with their courage and strength to face the truth and not easily give up but stand up to face their faith.”

I touched her cheeks and wiped away her tears,“Oh no please stop crying. Instead because of the guardians just like you, who have paid your respect to patient lights up our confidence and surely gives us hope to face the faith. Hope is not the convictions that something turn out well but the certainty that something makes sense regardless of how it turns out. Every night we go to bed, we have no assurance to get up alive the next morning but still we have plans for the coming day.” 

She nodded, “thank you for your praises. It’s such a huge appreciation from patient. That’s why I like my job. I want giving service to the community so that everyone has chances to live healthy.”



Suddenly the door opened. Both us turned our head and focus more on someone coming.

“Yuri-ah!” Sooyoung greeted, with plastic full of fruits in her hand. “How are you today?” behind her was a girl, much younger than either me or Sooyoung, bowed her head and smiled.

“Sooyoung!” I widened my arms, waiting for Sooyoung to come closer. She approached and hugged me. 

“Oh Yuri I hope you feels comfortable here lying on the bed, even though that you can’t move much I guess,” she stared at the dripping and the wire which was connected from my chest to the nearby machine.

“Don’t worry Sooyoung, I got nurse Yoona here by my side.” I said while pulling the nurse closer to her.

I pointed my finger toward a girl who standing behind Sooyoung, “Sooyoung, who’s that girl?”

“Oh yes! Yuri meets my part-time assistance,Krystal,” the girl bowed and smiled. “It is nice to meet you, Miss Kwon.”

“Nice to meet you too, Krystal. That’s very nice of you but not need to call me Miss Kwon. Yuri is more than enough,” I smiled.

Sooyoung closed her head to my ears, “Yuri,there’s something I want you to know.”

“Okay. What is it?”



Sooyoung’s POV

“But it is much better if we just talk about it alone,” I turned my head towards both Yoona and Krystal and smiled.

Yuri nodded, “okay if you already say so,” she said to both Yoona and Krystal, “could you please leave both Sooyoung and I alone? I don’t think Sooyoung will take a long time.” 

Both girls nodded and smiled as they walking out from the room.

I opened my bag and took out the envelope, “okay Yuri I got these pictures from Hyoyeon. See it yourself.”

As I gave the envelope to Yuri, her eyes jolted out. “Sooyoung, I’m not sure how’s the attacker looks like. She…”

“She?” How you could be so sure Yuri? “Yes Sooyoung. The attacker is she and I can tell you why. When I was trying to defend myself that day, I kicked her chest,caused her to lose balance and fell down from the stairs. She patted her arm and say ‘ouch’. That word! OUCH! Her voice is the main reason why I confidently know that the attacker is a female. Stupid attacker! She should shut up ,” she said confidently.

“Hyoyeon even said that the attacker, I mean she does not smashed the window wholly, she just smashed one side of the window only.” 

I took a picture of the messages written on the mirror, “Have a look at this. Got any ideas who dare to warn you like this?”

Yuri took the picture and hold it closer to her,“is this the mirror in my room?” she lowered the picture and stared at me; I nodded.

“Is she using my lipstick? Does she know how much I spend my money just to buy that limited edition lipstick?” she joked. My, Yuri you can even playing around in the situation like this even the victim is you yourself. 

“At the moment I got no idea,” she admitted cheerfully. “You know our jobs right; there are lots people outside there who critics our works and take a revenge because of our excellent works. Maybe there are workers in the company who hate the way we worked. I don’t know Sooyoung; really I got no idea right now.” 

She put all the pictures into the envelope and gave it to me, “I’m not trying to afraid you Sooyoung but you must be very careful as soon as you step out from this buildings.”

She whispered to my ears, “and keeps those pictures to the safety place. I think Hyoyeon took the pictures illegally from her department. Please Sooyoung just be careful. Don’t trust people blindly or I’ll be the one who pierced your eyes after this.” She said while patted my shoulder.

I smiled, “you have to be careful too Yuri.Please recover soon Yuri, I miss you so much.”

Yuri laughed, “Owh Sooyoung. I miss you missing me too. Shuh!” she ‘chased’ me out from the room. “Your lunch hour is almost over. Go to your work. You surely don’t want to wait to see the new model don’t you?” she winked.

I took the envelope and put it into my bag,“yeah you’re absolutely right. I got to go Yuri. I can’t wait to see our new model.” I waved at her and closed the door.

Soon Yoona entered the room with the file in her hand, “have a nice day Sooyoung,” she bowed.

“You too Yoona, I’m so sorry for Yuri’s altitude. Sometimes she’s out of control but just believe me she’s a nice friend.” I said. She smiled and entered the room. 

Moment later, I saw Krystal sat on the waiting room and stood as soon as she saw me at the entrance. We walked out from the hospital; straight away to the place we worked. 

I don’t want to miss any chance to meet our new model. Speaking English? Luckily Krystal is influence in English. Hope she feels comfortable working with all of crews later on.