Chapter Eighteen

When You Were Mine

"Hey! Where are you going? I thought we were going to the library." Woohyun asked Minji when she walked out the class. She peeked her head back in and smiled, "Oh, yeah. I just need to go get a few textbooks from locker! Wait at the front gate, okay?" She ran off to her locker.

 
Woohyun smiled and slung his backpack over his shoulder before he left the classroom, too. He walked out to the front gate and leaned against the wall until someone suddenly screamed and tackled him into a hug, "OPPPAAAA!"
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Minji took out a few textbooks that she'd need for homework and put in a few textbooks that she didn't need. She was about to close her locker until her phone rang. She set all her belongings on the ground and answered her phone.
 
"Yobosey-"
 
"Yeah. She's cute and all. She's really annoying, though. Like... seriously annoying." Minji held the phone closer. *Isn't that Woohyun's voice? Who is he talking about?*
 
"She's annoying? I thought you were friends with her. I mean, you hang out with her at lunch every day." Minji stiffened a bit. *I hang out with him at lunch every day...*
 
"That doesn't mean I like her. Trust me, Sungjong-ah, she's annoying." Minji winced a bit but continued to listen.
 
"How is she annyoing?"
 
"Well! First off, she's always talking about L. Oh God. You have no idea how much she talks about him! It's so boring to hear her talk about him every single day!" Minji's eyes went wide. *I talk about L every day...*
 
"And she's always flirting with me. I don't want to sound conceited or anything, but it's true. She's always touching my arm and sitting close to me and following me around." Minji's mouth fell open. *Flirt?! I don't flirt! I don't touch his arm! Unless I'm hitting it... And maybe I do sit kind of close to him... But I don't follow him around!*
 
"Really? She sounds like... a ?"
 
"I haven't know her for long, so I can't say she is one, but she seems like one. She always acts all cute and innocent, but it's pretty obvious she's not." Her arm dropped and dangled at her side. *I seem like... the 's' word?*
 
She hung up and put her phone away. Her eyes started to sting. Before she knew it, a small tear escaped her eye.
 
*I can't believe him... I actually thought we were friends...* She rubbed her eyes and sniffled. She slammed her locker shut and leaned her head against it.
 
Every time she would make a friend, they would end up betraying her or leaving her or hurting her--every single time. And it always makes her wonder why. Was she a bad friend? Was she not good enough? Was she like Woohyun said? Annoying? Flirty? ty? Fake?
 
This time, though, she thought Woohyun would be different. He definitely bullied her a lot, but she knew he cared for her. Or, at least, she thought. She wasn't so sure anymore.
 
She felt hurt. She felt betrayed. She felt cheated. She felt sad. She felt empty. She felt like an idiot. He's always bullied her so much, yet she never even guessed that he bullied her because he didn't even like her in the first place. This is the billionth time a 'friend' has talked behind her back, but it still hurt--especially since she was a really sensitive person.
 
"Minji?"
 
She sniffled and looked up, "L Oppa!" She tackled him into a hug. He frowned a bit as he hugged her waist, "What's... wrong?" She sniffled as she told him about what Woohyun said.
 
L frowned even more every time he heard her sniffle. He wanted Minji to not be friends with Woohyun. He didn't like it. He didn't like them together. He didn't want them together. It made him angry. It made him, in a way... jealous?
 
He thought that he'd be happier if Minji wasn't friends with Woohyun. He thought he'd be happier to know that he will always be the only man in her life. He thought he'd be happier to know that Woohyun won't ever have a chance to steal Minji.
 
He's all BUT happy right now. He felt sad to see Minji cry. He felt hurt to see Minji cry over someone who's not him--and another guy, at that. Above all, he felt... guilty, almost? He wasn't as happy as he thought he'd be. No. He wasn't happy at all, period.
 
"B-But maybe he wasn't talking about me, right?" Minji smiled hopefully, "M-Maybe he was talking about... H-Hyuna, r-right?" She looked at him with her eyes rounded.
 
"I don't know. Whenever I talk to Woohyun, he talks about Hyuna." L blurted.
 
His eyes went wide at his own comment. *What the hell did I just say?* He didn't want to see her cry. But he didn't want to see her with another guy either.
 
"Y-You talk to Woohyun? H-He talks about... H-Hyuna?" Minji's bottom lip began to tremble a bit, and L regretted what he said.
 
"Yeah. He always talks about how cute and pretty she is." L guiltily lied. Minji's shoulders fell as she held her head low.
 
"How about this?" L smiled softly, "L Oppa will take you out and cheer you up!" Her eyes brightened just a bit but still seemed dark. "Really?" She looked up at him. He forced a guilty smile as he wiped her tears, "Yeah. Really. Let's go." He grabbed her hand and led her to the front gate after she put all her stuff into her schoolbag.
 
Minji became a bit happier. L's touch sent sparks throughout her spine. L's smile made her heart skip a beat. L's voice made her stomach get butterflies. She loved this feeling--this feeling of being in love.
 
But it all stopped and disappeared when they arrived at the front gates.
 
Woohyun was out at the front, too. He leaned against the wall as a petite teenage girl hugged him tightly. She continued to squeal and giggle as he ruffled her hair and told her jokes.
 
*That's definitely not the girl I saw him with at the movie theater.* Minji sniffled and frowned. *The girl at the movie theater definitely had short hair. This girl has long hair, and she's a lot shorter than the girl at the theater.* She bit her lip. *Should I tell him that I'm going out with L? I don't want to interrupt his time with his new girlfriend. But... what if he gets worried when he doesn't see me?* She nodded to herself. *Yeah. I should just tell him so that he doesn't worry about me or something.*
 
"Where are you going?" L grabbed Minji's hand when she walked off. She blinked at him, "I have to tell W-Woo-Woohyun I'm not going to the library with him. He might get worried if he doesn't see me come out."
 
"He's busy with his girlfriend. You shouldn't interrupt him." L suddenly snapped. She blinked at him again, "But-" She looked over at the couple and frowned when she saw the girl kiss Woohyun's cheek.
 
"Let's go?" L pulled her hand and dragged her off in the opposite direction. Minji smiled a bit as those sparks and butterflies came back but still only thought about Woohyun, "Where are we going?" She asked when they arrived in front of his motorcycle.
 
"Well... Where do you want to go?" He asked as he handed her a helmet. She shrugged but smiled, "Anywhere's fine." *As long as it's with you.* She wanted to say that but thought it'd sound too cheesy.
 
"Hmmm..." He looked up in thought before he smiled, "Hold on tightly, okay?" He sat on the motorcycle after he put his helmet on. She smiled and sat with her legs dangled on one side since she wore a skirt and hugged his waist tightly as she rested her head on his back.
 
"Ready?" He smiled and gripped the bars. She giggled lightly, "Go, go, go!"
 
Minji mostly laughed throughout the whole motorcycle ride but would occasionally squeal or scream. Her eyes stayed closed in order to enjoy that heavy breeze that blew her hair around but would open them every so often to see the world pass by in a blur.
 
L would smile every time he'd hear her laugh and laugh every time he'd hear her squeal or scream. He's taken many girls on his motorcycle, but they would always whine about their hair or scream for him to slow down because they were too young to die.
 
Minji enjoyed the ride as much as she could because while she was on it, she actually forgot all the hurtful words Woohyun said about her, but as soon as the ride ended... all those words came rushing back.
 
"We're here. Get off." L called her when she started to space out.
 
Minji snapped back into reality. She took the helmet off and looked around. Her eyes went wide as she let out a loud gasp.