Chapter Twenty Four

When You Were Mine

Minji shakily held her pencil and puffed her cheeks out. *You got this, Lee Minji! You got this! Fighting!* She opened her eyes and stared at the first problem of the test, but her face fell. *No! You don’t got this! What is this?! Did we even learn this?! I’m going to fail so badly!* She accidentally let out a small shriek that caught the attention of everyone in the class.

 

“Is there a problem, Minji?” Ms. Yoon blinked at her. Minji bit her lip as her cheeks turned pink, “N-No problem at all.”

 

“Then, please keep quiet.” Ms. Yoon raised a brow at her, and she nodded in response.

 

Minji chewed on her pencil as she stared at the test. Her lips soon curved into a large smile. *This was on the study guide Jinyoung-ssi gave me!* She danced in her seat a bit before she scribbled side-work.

 

Woohyun subtly side-eyed Minji. He smiled when he saw her do that adorable dance in her seat as she worked on the test. *I guess the study guide helped her.* He looked back down at his paper and continued to work on the test.

 

Within a few minutes, Woohyun stood from his seat and walked to the front. He laid out the test on one side of the desk and his answer sheet on the other. Students all gawked at him, curious on how he finished all 36 questions in less than fifteen minutes.

 

“You’re… done?” Ms. Yoon blinked at him. Woohyun looked at her and smiled. She stared at him in awe before she chuckled, “Arasso. Arasso. Get back to your seat, you nerd.” Woohyun made a face at the teacher before he chuckled and sat back down in his seat.

 

He propped his right arm on his desk and rested his chin in it as he gazed at Minji. *She’s so cute.* He sighed dreamily when he saw her puff her cheeks out.

 

*Why are there so many formulas?!* Minji pouted at her test. She was doing very well and got halfway done. Now, though, she was finally stumped on one of the problems. She uncomfortably shifted in her seat when she felt someone stare at her. Her head slowly turned to the left, where she then saw Woohyun staring at her.

 

*.* Woohyun cleared his throat and shifted his gaze to the window.

 

Minji shrugged it off. *I'm so paranoid. He's only staring out the window.* She plugged some of the numbers into a random equation that she remembered off the study guide and smiled when it worked perfectly.

 

Woohyun casually shifted his gaze back to her. *Whew! She didn't notice.* He smiled a bit as he watched her adjust her glasses. *...I'm such a creep.* He mentally face-palmed himself and looked away.

 

Minji carefully bubbled in the answer for the last problem. “YES! I’M DONE!” She beamed at her test, satisfied with all her answers. She blinked and looked up when she felt the whole class stare at her. She bit her lip and dipped her head apologetically before she scrambled out her seat and turned her test papers in.

 

Minji walked back down the aisle to get to her seat. Woohyun watched as a girl snickered and subtly stuck her foot out. Before he could warn Minji, she already tripped over the girl's foot and face-planted into the cold marble tiles.

 

Everyone burst into laughter as they made fun of her. Even Hyuna and L couldn't hide their laughter. As a matter of fact, they were the ones who laughed the hardest.

 

"Minji! Are you alright?" Ms. Yoon was about to walk over until Minji held her hand in the air and laughed, "Y-Yeah. Ha... Ha... Ha... I-I'm alright..." She bit her lip embarrassedly as she stood back up.

 

As soon as the bell rang, Woohyun packed his belongings and rushed out the room. He caught the shoulder of the girl who had tripped Minji and lightly slammed her into the lockers. She blinked at him, "O-Oppa?" He glared at her and frowned, "If I ever see you do that again, I'll kill you." She looked around and gulped nervously, "D-Do what?"

 

"I've never hit a girl, but I'm not scared to." He indirectly threatened her before he walked off.

 

“Oh, Babe!” L caught Minji's arm as she walked past him. Minji turned to him and smiled. *Does he actually want to eat lunch with me?! For the first time, L actually wants to eat lunch with me! Kyaaaaa!* She bit her lip to fight back her growing smile.

 

“Could I borrow some money?” L held his hand out.

 

Her smile disappeared for a second, but she put it back on. Her shoulders unconsciously began to fall. *Of course he wouldn't want to eat with me. He never wants to eat with me.* After L's fight with Woohyun and after how L kissed her at the Han River, she had thought that he actually changed, that he actually cared for her even more.

 

“S-Sure…” She reached into her schoolbag and took her wallet out before she took out a handful of money.

 

“Thanks, Babe!” L smiled as he took all her money. He then ran out to meet Infinite, told them something that made them laugh, and ran out the academy.

 

“He's ditching?” Hyuna blinked. Through the glass windows of the classroom, she watched L run out the academy, get chased by the school's security guards, and drive off on his motorcycle.

 

Minji nodded and frowned as they headed to the cafeteria. They both stood in the long line. Hyuna continued to ramble on and on about these cute pairs of high heels she recently bought. Minji only nodded absent-mindedly as she scanned the cafeteria for Woohyun.

 

He was seated at a table, near the back of the cafeteria. He hung out with dozens and dozens of guys--most of which were on the basketball team, while some were from soccer, track, or swim. Lots of girls were around him and flirted with him, but he would ignore them.

 

*Woohyun sure is popular when he's not hanging out with me.* She pouted a bit, as if she held him back from all those friends, which she did.

 

Because Minji was an outcast, people who hung out with her were also made outcasts. That's why some of her old friends ended up leaving her. Though, most of them left her because they were jealous she was dating L and they weren't.

 

"Hyuna. You won't leave me, right?" Minji blurted before she realized. Hyuna blinked at her. *Not until I steal Woohyun and L from you.* "Of course not! You're my best friend!" She smiled and linked arms with her. Minji immediately perked up and smiled, "Really?"

 

"Uh-huh! Let's go eat at the garden!" Hyuna smiled but inwardly rolled her eyes as they left the cafeteria.

 

“Geez! Look at those losers! Especially that Minji girl! She’s such a nerd.” One girl snickered at Hyuna and Minji. Her friend looked at them and also laughed, “It’s such a shame! Hyuna is so pretty! She’d fit in with us perfectly!”

 

“Yeah! She would, because she’s just as ty as you girls are.” Woohyun glared at them. They blinked at him and pouted, offended, "Oppa..."

 

“What? Am I wrong? Don’t play dumb. I saw you-“ He pointed at one of them, “-just have a make-out session, by the restrooms. Now, you’re all holding onto my arm and batting your lashes at me? If that doesn’t spell ‘’, then I don’t know what does.” He scoffed at them and shook their arms off his.

 

“Oppa!” They squealed and ran off embarrassedly. The other girls around Woohyun also backed away, since they didn’t want to be called a either.

 

"That fight with L, what was it about?" Jinyoung suddenly asked, with his brows raised out of curiousity. "It's a... long story." Woohyun shrugged and pouted. Jinyoung chuckled and ruffled his hair, "Whatever, man. You beat him up pretty good, though. Nobody has ever beat him up that badly." All the other guys nodded in agreement.

 

Woohyun laughed, with a sarcastic sharpness in his voice. *That was nothing compared to what I could really do and what I really will do, if he hurts her.*