Chapter Nine

When You Were Mine

"Woohyun-ah!" Jihyun choked on her tea when she saw him.

 
Woohyun limped as he clutched his bandaged ribs--they were only very slightly bruised, but they still hurt. His forehead had a small white bandage on it but was covered by his bangs. He had a bandage on his cheek and a bruise on his lip.
 
 
"My God! What happened?!" Mr. and Mrs. Nam gasped as well. The three of them helped Woohyun to the couch.
 
 
"I have... no idea." Woohyun mumbled lightly since it hurt to talk, "I think... I got jumped."
 
 
"You think? You... are an idiot!" Jihyun rolled her eyes and hit his forehead. He flinched, "Ow, Noona!" He slapped her hand away and held his head.
 
 
"Mianhae! I forgot." She pouted and scratched her head.
 
 
"Tell us what happened!" Mrs. Nam encouraged. Woohyun sighed and shrugged, "I... don't know... I was going to meet Minji at the movie thea-" His eyes went wide, "Minji!" He quickly stood up but fell back down, with a groan, as he clutched his ribs.
 
 
"Really? You're this beat up, yet you still want to go meet her? Dude... It's around 9:30PM. She's probably gone..." Jihyun frowned as she mentally took note of the girl's name.
 
 
"But-" Woohyun frowned and shifted uncomfortably in his seat. His parents frowned when they saw that sad look in his eye, that sad look they haven't seen since two years ago.
 
 
"You need to rest." Jihyun sighed. Woohyun shook his head and stood. "I need to go. What if she's still there? She'll wait all night!"
 
 
"Woohyun. I doubt she would wait three hours." Jihyun chuckled lightly at his determination. He smiled a bit, "It doesn't hurt to check, right?"
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Minji sighed. Her elbow rested on her desk as her head rested in her palm. She stared out the window and thought about her conversation with L.
 
 
"Minji." L grabbed Minji's wrist. He pulled her into a tight embrace and rested his chin on the top of her head.
 
 
"L..." Her eyes went wide as she stood, with her arms still dangled at her sides. He let out a shaky breath, "I need you... I need you, Minji..." *At least, your money...* He smirked.
 
 
"I'm so sorry... It was a mistake... I really don't want to lose you... Please..." He put his hands on her shoulders and pushed her away so that they'd stand face-to-face. *Say something, you nerdy ahjumma! I need to go home! It's freezing cold, and I am NOT going to get sick because of you!* He gazed at her intently, but she didn't say anything. He inwardly rolled his eyes.
 
 
"I love you." He told her softly and cupped her face before he kissed her.
 
 
Her eyes went wide and her knees twitched. She gave in almost instantly to his soft lips. She stapled her eyes shut and kissed him back. *Maybe things will be different this time... a good kind of difference...* She smiled through the kiss.
 
 
She missed this feeling. She missed the way her heart would race out her chest. She missed the way her knees would weaken to jello. She missed the way his lips felt against hers. She missed the way his touch sent shivers down her spine.
 
 
L also smiled through the kiss. *Finally! Geez! I can't wait to go to Inspirit, once she gives me her allowance!*
 
 
Minji giggled and squealed as she touched her lips. She stopped, though, when other students gave her weird looks. She tapped her fingers on her desk and hummed to a song as she gazed longingly at the door.
 
 
*When is L going to be here?* She pouted and felt her shoulders slump. *I hope he's not going to ditch today...* Just as she thought that, a male student walked through the doorway.
 
 
"Woohyun?" She blinked at him when he took the seat next to her.
 
 
He only sat down and took his notebook out. He didn't even look at her. He didn't even talk to her. He didn't even give her faintest sign of acknowledgement. He sat with his legs stretched out, his arms bent on the desk, and his head held low.
 
 
"...Woohyun?" Minji blinked at him again. He didn't respond in any way whatsoever. She frowned, "Woohyun... What's wrong?" She tried to look at his face but he would turn his head the opposite way so she wouldn't see.
 
 
"Are you mad at me?" She asked worriedly as she put a hand on his arm, but he shook her off. She blinked at his actions, "Woohy- L!" Her eyes lit up as she nearly jumped out her seat from excitement.
 
 
Woohyun flinched at how Minji called his name so brightly. He slowly looked up and saw L walk to her and kiss her.
 
 
"Omo! They're back together?!"
 
 
"No way! She doesn't deserve him!"
 
 
"Noooo! L belongs to meeee!"
 
 
Woohyun couldn't hear the cries of the girls in the class. He could only hear the shattering of his heart. He clenched his jaw and fists. It hurt him so much to see Minji kiss another guy, especially L, the guy he despised the most. And it didn't help that his ribs, face, and head were also in pain. Now, he was in both physical and emotional pain.
 
 
"Good morning, Babe~" L smirked at Woohyun and caught notice of the bandage hidden behind his bangs. *Wow. The guys actually beat Woohyun up pretty good. I really should thank them later.*
 
 
Minji's eyes slowly fluttered open. She put on an adorably goofy smile, "G-Good mor-morning, L Oppa."
 
 
"Okay! Everyone in your seats! The bell has rang~!" Ms. Yoon ordered as she walked into the class. Everyone rolled their eyes and groaned as they went into their seats.
 
 
"Because everyone did so poorly on last Monday's test, with the exception of one student-" Ms. Yoon and the rest of the class glanced at Woohyun knowingly, "-I'm going to put up an extra credit assignment that is worth the same amount of points as the test was."
 
 
Everyone cheered, "You're the best, Ms. Yoon!" They all waved at her and smiled at her and formed hearts with their hands and arms. She rolled her eyes and chuckled, "I know. I know. Silence now." She made the class laugh.
 
 
"Okay. You must be in pairs of two--no more than two, no less than three. Even though this is an extra credit assignment, everyone is required to do it." She stood at her desk and smiled at the class as she explained the rest of the details of the project.
 
 
"You all have two minutes to choose partners! Go." She looked at the clock.
 
 
Students all walked around. Friends found each other and paired up. Woohyun glanced at Minji, who stood near L.
 
 
"L Oppa~Will you be my partner?!"
 
 
"No! He's going to be my partner!"
 
 
"I asked him first!"
 
 
"L! Be my partner!"
 
 
"Sorry, ladies. I already have a partner." L grinned as he grabbed Minji's hand and made her blush madly.
 
 
The girls all frowned and said really mean things about Minji before they dispersed to find another partner. Soon, everyone was paired up. Everyone except for Woohyun, that is.
 
 
"W-Woohyun... W-Would you li-like to be my p-partner?" Yoonhee bit her lip as she blushed.
 
 
Minji looked away from L and at Woohyun when she heard Yoonhee ask Woohyun to be her partner. She guessed she stared too long because Woohyun caught her and stared right back. Her eyes squinted at him. *Is it just me... or does he have a bruise on his lip?*
 
 
*Oh, . She's going to notice.* Woohyun winced and looked away. He looked up at Yoonhee, who gazed at him with round eyes that reminded him of Minji but not as adorable.
 
 
"Sure." He smiled at her, since she was the only one without a partner. Her eyes sparkled and she smiled, "R-Really?"
 
 
"Yeah. We're the only two without partners." Woohyun said casually. She flinched, "R-Right..." It hurt to know he only wanted to be partners with her because he didn't have any other choice, but she was still happy.